Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

San Francisco Post-merger luxury opinions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Francisco Post-merger luxury opinions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:23 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Catskilltraveller
I have stayed at the St Regis several times. Always looked forward to dinner at Ame. With the loss of Ame, it just doesn’t seem as special. Service and rooms are fine.
Recently stayed at the Ritz, I love most Ritz hotels, but there as well I found dinner disappointing. Granted, San Francisco has an amazing dining scene and there is little reason to dine in, but, I am disappointed that neither of these two hotels offers destination dining.
Ame was very nice. But I don’t miss it. 1* Mourad, 1* In Situ, and 3* Benu are right around the corner from the StR, and we dine at one or more of those on just about every stay. 1* Luce and 1* Sushi Hariri are just a few blocks away, as well. 1* Khin Khao and 1* Michael Mina, as well as 3* Saison, are also in a 8-10 block walking radius. Heck, even 1* Campton Place isn’t a bad walk. The StR has more than enough amazing dining nearby that we haven’t missed Ame much at all.

EDITED: Campton Place is now 1*. FWIW, I’ll be at the StR next weekend, and we have dinner Fri night at Benu and Sat night at Mourad. Saturday or Sunday night we got VIP’d by the StR concierge to avoid the line to Charmaine’s atop the Proper Hotel.

Last edited by bhrubin; Aug 26, 2018 at 12:30 pm
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Campton Place was dropped back down to 1*, just FYI (and deservedly so in my opinion - it is still good but has dropped off a bit).

Luce might be the most underrated restaurant in the city. You can usually just walk in.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 26, 2018, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by acrophobia
I’m probably a huge outlier in this regard, but to be honest LM is my favorite. It’s on a block relatively free of vagrants (even StR and the Palace can’t claim that), the rooms are nicely sized, and the upgrade rate is, in experience, very good for plats. It is quiet at night, and a pretty easy walk or Uber to key sightseeing areas.
I agree. My only "gripe" is this hotel is perennially sold out as I can't seem to get a room as often as I like. Otherwise, I do like the RC. beautiful property. The JW is decent, nothing fancy but solid.

Also agree that SF hotels are grossly overpriced for what you get. Especially if there is a conference, it is impossible to get a room without paying through the nose (couple weeks ago the Courtyard was 750+ a night).
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:22 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

The StR shows why it’s the top luxury hotel in the city yet again. Not only did the StR concierge manage to get us VIP’d to avoid the always long line to get into Charmaine’s atop the Proper Hotel for this coming Sat night, we now have been confirmed for a table at Charmaine’s—despite the fact that we aren’t even guests at the Proper. I’m quite impressed.

This after we already got reservations for dinners at 3* Benu and 1* Mourad this coming weekend.

When it comes to concierge service, the StR team has yet to fail to get us into whatever bar or restaurant we’ve requested. That’s luxury.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:06 am

...beg to differ

Originally Posted by bhrubin
What priorities you may have notwithstanding, the St Regis is considered unquestionably the best luxury hotel in the city--not just in the Marriott portfolio. .
With all due respect, the Four Seasons is probably seen as the best hotel in the city. Then maybe the Mark Hopkins, Fairmont Nob Hill, or Omni. The St. Regis feels like a gussied up W, which is right up the street.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I'm with you. I stay in plenty of nice hotels around the world and I was thoroughly unimpressed with the St. Regis when I stayed last month. Perhaps they were just having a bad weekend, but I found the hard product unimpressive and the service was downright poor.

You really need to get over yourself.
Yasss, Slay Queen!

But, as the chorus goes, I agree on the StR here. It's nice, but the fact that to get value out of it requires extra spending does disservice to the brand. I also found the property to be blah, though the rooms did have an ambiance about them. I did like that the front staff were soft spoken and talked in such a way as to give me ASMR tingles, lol. Also found them to be gossipy about guests. In-room dining was delicious.

Quick take on the others.
Palace: Rooms a bit smaller than one would like, but fantastic dining and splendor. Great for selfies. Staff need more training/ don't care about status.
JW Marriott: Probably the most accommodating staff, and I like the junior suites for the price. I like the building aesthetics, even if it's considered business luxury-lite.
RC: Did upgrade me to a better room, but I turned that down to be on the Club floor for the access to food. Well worth it! Nice property, not the best slope to walk on.

I'm more of a creature that likes to see how much luxury I can get at discount, and TBH I find the Westin St. Francis and Marriott Marquis to be better options. LM also had really spacious rooms for cost. But, gasp, since this is the Marriott section, I do have to say that Hilton's Parc 55 and Union Square have given me better value, especially with the upgrades and breakfast.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:04 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by acrophobia
I’m probably a huge outlier in this regard, but to be honest LM is my favorite.
+1 for LeM from me. It's super quiet. I love being able to leave the window/door open and get the breeze and not be constantly woken by drunks/traffic/etc and I've gotten some really nice upgrades here.

I find the JW to be pretty bleh compared to JWs in other cities. It's certainly not bad but just not at the level of other JWs.

Likewise for the W, it just isn't quite upto the level of other Ws I've been at. I've had very good service there and I did some events there earlier this year and their catering was really, really nice, but as a hotel it's not that high on my list.

Not really relevant to this particular thread, but the marriott and sheraton at fisherman's wharf are both extremely bleh properties but I've enjoyed their location occasionally - my office is in south beach near AT&T park and I enjoy walking either down the embarcadero or down columbus to downtown in the morning on the way in. I've had pretty good service at both. Note the Marriott doesn't have a lounge and the Sheraton has a really sorry excuse for one.
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:06 pm
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by bhrubin
Its location can be a factor for some, though admittedly it's nothing more than a 15-20 min walk between the StR and RC.
It depends on which way you're walking.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 9:10 pm
pvn
Suspended

One other comment, prices in SF are so insanely variable from week to week that any time someone mentions their dissatisfaction and says something along the lines of "I expected more for the amount I paid" I don't really pay much attention unless they're very specific. I've spent $900/night at the Diva and I've stayed at the JW for under $130. It just depends on when you're staying.
Old Aug 27, 2018, 10:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvn
It depends on which way you're walking.
Haha, we walked both ways!
Old Aug 27, 2018, 11:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by pvn
+1 for LeM from me..
make that a +2 for me.
especially if you have a 1 bedroom suite.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 3:17 pm
Suspended

If I’m mistaken, my apologies. But the thread title indicates “luxury options.”

The Marriott luxury category options in San Francisco include only:

(1) St Regis...where I am staying now and last stayed in July
(2) Ritz Carlton....which I visited in July and where I’ll be staying in Nov
(3) Palace, Luxury Collection...which I visited in July
(4) W...which I visited in July and last stayed in fall 2017.
(5) JW...which is luxury lite at best.

Marriott’s own categorization includes only the above brands in its luxury designations:

https://www.marriott.com/marriott-brands.mi#luxury
Old Aug 31, 2018, 7:04 pm

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Marriott can say whatever they want, but the LeM in SF is far more aligned with my concept of a luxury property than the W, which I honestly find a bit trashy (specifically referring to the SF property; there are other Ws around the world that I’m fine with).

FWIW, prior to being an LeM, that hotel was the SF Park Hyatt.
pvn likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by wsm007
With all due respect, the Four Seasons is probably seen as the best hotel in the city. Then maybe the Mark Hopkins, Fairmont Nob Hill, or Omni. The St. Regis feels like a gussied up W, which is right up the street.
It’s tough to understand where you’re coming from when even TripAdvisor characterizes both the Omni and Mark Hopkins InterContinental as only 4 star hotels—just like the W, GH, Westin St Francis, and LM hotels. Perspective seems to be important in this evaluation.

The 5 star hotel list in San Francisco includes only the StR, FS, RC, Loews, Fairmont, Fairmont Ghirardelli Square, Taj Campton Place, and Palace hotels.

With this thread discussing the Marriott luxury options, the obvious consensus is that the StR, RC, and Palace hotels clearly are the top choices. The W and JW are considered luxury by Marriott but are considered 4 star hotels otherwise in the context of luxury discussion.

I think you will find after a quick review of the Luxury Forum here on FlyerTalk that the St Regis is considered by most to be the best in San Francisco and certainly by almost everyone to be easily as good as the Four Seasons. Most luxury travel guides and reviews speak to the same conclusion, as well.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 12:39 am

Clearly you’re not going to be persuaded that anything in SF can top the StR. So be it. Let’s agree that the StR is the top Starriott pick.

IMHO, the public areas (lobby, bar / lounge, restaurant) in the FS lap the StR in every respect. And I stand by my comment that the StR rooms feel like gussied up W rooms (not saying that for all StR, just the one we’re discussing).

The Palace is, well, a historic curiosity that needs a top to bottom gut down to the studs. The staff, however, can be very special there. Or incompetent. Had ‘em both.

If I had to pick one regardless of price, points, travel policy, etc., it would be the FS every time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.