FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Still confused on Courtyard breakfast??? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1923325-still-confused-courtyard-breakfast.html)

gordonlee33 Aug 3, 2018 4:53 pm

Still confused on Courtyard breakfast???

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, so sorry to be asking something that seems to have been discussed a million times. But I've literally just spent well over an hour searching the internet and still can't figure out a definite answer (of course a lot of links take me to old program information, so that keeps it confusing)

Bottom line - I'm now Marriott Gold due to SPG merger and will have my first Courtyard stay next week. Will I get any kind of free breakfast?

CJKatl Aug 3, 2018 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by gordonlee33 (Post 30045126)
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, so sorry to be asking something that seems to have been discussed a million times. But I've literally just spent well over an hour searching the internet and still can't figure out a definite answer (of course a lot of links take me to old program information, so that keeps it confusing)

Bottom line - I'm now Marriott Gold due to SPG merger and will have my first Courtyard stay next week. Will I get any kind of free breakfast?

Not unless it is in your rate. Currently there is no elite breakfast benefit at CYs and there will not be until the new program starts on the 18th. Even then, as an SPG Gold you will map to the new program Gold and will not be eligible for the breakfast amenity, which is a credit at CYs that will not pay for most breakfasts in the Bistro.

Points Scrounger Aug 3, 2018 5:45 pm

My experience at CY recently was that I was given breakfast as an amenity instead of a pantry item (property specific). No dollar amount coupon, but a voucher for one beverage and one food item; the breakfast sandwich was made-to-order, and the orange juice bottle quite generous. I took those back to my room where I prepared coffee as well.

gordonlee33 Aug 3, 2018 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl (Post 30045164)
Not unless it is in your rate. Currently there is no elite breakfast benefit at CYs and there will not be until the new program starts on the 18th. Even then, as an SPG Gold you will map to the new program Gold and will not be eligible for the breakfast amenity, which is a credit at CYs that will not pay for most breakfasts in the Bistro.

Thanks for the info. Looks like no breakfast for me. I thought Marriott gold would be as good as my Hilton gold, but looks like I'll have to re-evaluate where I'm gonna focus my future business.

nequine Aug 4, 2018 3:39 am

Marriott gold = platinum in the new program which does get (more) rewards ie breakfast unlike the future gold, which is really like Marriott silver but 25% bonus point reward instead of 20%.

CJKatl Aug 4, 2018 3:51 am

Originally Posted by nequine (Post 30046206)
Marriott gold = platinum in the new program

Originally Posted by gordonlee33 (Post 30045126)
Bottom line - I'm now Marriott Gold due to SPG merger

One of two things:
  • The OP appears to have been status matched to MR Gold by virtue of SPG Gold status. That would make the poster Gold in the new program, not Plat, Status matches do not count in determining status in the new program.
  • There is also a chance the OP is telling us Gold is the status in the new program.
Either way it does not appear the poster will be Plat in the new program.

sdsearch Aug 4, 2018 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by gordonlee33 (Post 30045534)
Thanks for the info. Looks like no breakfast for me. I thought Marriott gold would be as good as my Hilton gold, but looks like I'll have to re-evaluate where I'm gonna focus my future business.

If you're currently Marriott Gold (in the pre-August meaning of the term), then depending on the specific Courtyard, you may get an offer to select one item from the pantry in addition to your check-in bonus. If one of the items in the pantry is a yogurt parfait, grab it, and you've got your breakfast for the morning (there should be mini-fridge in your room at any Courtyard, I would think). Now, there's no guarantee that there will be a yogurt parfait in the pantry when you check in, but it doesn't hurt a look if they're offering you a free item from the pantry. And I can't guarantee you get a free item from the pantry, but you might as well ask (if they don't mention it without you asking).

But how it will work for you post Aug 18 since you're only status was matched from SPG Gold, that I''m not sure. It may only be a pre-Aug-18 loophole (if what I described above works for you).

GoPhils Aug 5, 2018 5:43 am

Originally Posted by gordonlee33 (Post 30045534)

Keep in mind in the current program (pre 8/18), Courtyard is one of the few brands where neither Gold/Platinum get a breakfast benefit, and of course it’s not included for everyone like it is at some of the other limited service brands. Lots of past threads complaining about this.

In the new program, Gold earned through MR becomes Plat, which gets a choice of bonus points or a $10 credit. The new Gold (which includes that which was earned through an SPG match) does not get this.

Horace Aug 6, 2018 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by GoPhils (Post 30049309)

Keep in mind in the current program (pre 8/18), Courtyard is one of the few brands where neither Gold/Platinum get a breakfast benefit, and of course it’s not included for everyone like it is at some of the other limited service brands. Lots of past threads complaining about this.

In the new program, Gold earned through MR becomes Plat, which gets a choice of bonus points or a $10 credit. The new Gold (which includes that which was earned through an SPG match) does not get this.

Today, only five Marriott Rewards brands provide daily lounge access or breakfast as a benefit to Gold and Platinum guests (and even then not if the property is classified as a resort):

Marriott Hotels
Renaissance Hotels
JW Marriott Hotels
Autograph Collection
Delta Hotels

Today, four Marriott Rewards brands provide a simple self-serve breakfast to all guests daily as part of the room rate, regardless of Marriott Rewards status, and even for non-members:

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott
SpringHill Suites by Marriott
Residence Inn by Marriott
TownePlace Suites by Marriott

Today, many Marriott Rewards brands do not provide complimentary daily breakfast to anyone:

The Ritz-Carlton
EDITION
Gaylord Hotels
Marriott Vacation Club / Grand Residences by Marriott
Marriott Executive Apartments / ExecuStay
Courtyard by Marriott
AC Hotels by Marriott
Protea Hotels
MOXY

In the new program, beginning August 18, 2018, the status levels for welcome gifts and/or the lounge/breakfast benefit are Platinum Elite and Platinum Premier Elite, which are roughly similar levels to today's Rewards Gold Elite and Platinum Elite, and today's SPG Platinum and higher.

Courtyard, AC Hotels, and MOXY will "sort of" provide breakfast by making one of welcome gift choices, "$10 F&B credit for member + 1 guest, daily."

Protea and resorts of the five currently-excluded full-service brands will offer "Daily Breakfast For Member + 1 Guest" as a welcome gift choice.

It's all rather complicated. But the Courtyard should be better than today for most guests.

GoPhils Aug 6, 2018 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Horace (Post 30053899)
Today, only five Marriott Rewards brands provide daily lounge access or breakfast as a benefit to Gold and Platinum guests (and even then not if the property is classified as a resort):

Marriott Hotels - 570 (although this number does include resorts which don't provide breakfast)
Renaissance Hotels - 178
JW Marriott Hotels - 88
Autograph Collection - 174
Delta Hotels - 69
Total - 1079

Today, four Marriott Rewards brands provide a simple self-serve breakfast to all guests daily as part of the room rate, regardless of Marriott Rewards status, and even for non-members:

Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott - 1003
SpringHill Suites by Marriott - 419
Residence Inn by Marriott - 822
TownePlace Suites by Marriott - 399
Total - 2643

Today, many Marriott Rewards brands do not provide complimentary daily breakfast to anyone:

The Ritz-Carlton - 105
EDITION - 9
Gaylord Hotels - 6
Marriott Vacation Club / Grand Residences by Marriott - 66
Marriott Executive Apartments / ExecuStay - 30
Courtyard by Marriott - 1215
AC Hotels by Marriott - 154
Protea Hotels - 83
MOXY - 42
Total - 1710

Fair enough, but those "many" brands that don't provide it have fewer hotels. I added the number of hotels by brand above. Other than Resorts, Courtyards currently account for 71% of the hotels which do not provide breakfast under the current program.

Horace Aug 6, 2018 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by GoPhils (Post 30054154)
Fair enough, but those "many" brands that don't provide it have fewer hotels. I added the number of hotels by brand above. Other than Resorts, Courtyards currently account for 71% of the hotels which do not provide breakfast under the current program.

Thank you! Interesting numbers. I agree that the number of hotels within a brand is a more meaningful measure than the number of brands.

ryw Aug 6, 2018 3:56 pm

I think a re-occurring comment on the forum is that Courtyards have been the biggest "hole" in the Marriott-family with regards to providing a breakfast benefit to elites or otherwise. (Arguably, it's because lots of people who stay there are able to expense a paid breakfast). Thanks for the data, it really makes that clear! Even if it's a $10 F&B credit, I'll be more likely to consider Courtyards (and Moxy and AC) for future stays.

Qualitatively, it does seem like I'm seeing a lot more ACs and Moxys under construction in US urban areas when searching the Marriott website, so perhaps they're trying to expand those brands' presence.

WoodyWindy Aug 7, 2018 6:02 am

Which is a key reason that CY has historically been at or near the bottom of my list when making reservations. The new program at least gets them out of the "last resort before REALLY cheaping out" category.

mahasamatman Aug 7, 2018 7:47 am

Originally Posted by ryw (Post 30054638)
(Arguably, it's because lots of people who stay there are able to expense a paid breakfast).

That would cover higher-end hotels a lot more than Courtyard.

GoPhils Aug 7, 2018 8:04 am

Originally Posted by ryw (Post 30054638)
I think a re-occurring comment on the forum is that Courtyards have been the biggest "hole" in the Marriott-family with regards to providing a breakfast benefit to elites or otherwise. (Arguably, it's because lots of people who stay there are able to expense a paid breakfast). Thanks for the data, it really makes that clear! Even if it's a $10 F&B credit, I'll be more likely to consider Courtyards (and Moxy and AC) for future stays.

Agreed, although I'd bet that those that are on expense accounts at CY's are likely going to skip the $10 credit in favor of the points, since it's now a choice. Previously one got a market item + 400 points, so you wouldn't get the market item anymore, but at least you'd be getting 100 more points.