Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Still confused on Courtyard breakfast???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Still confused on Courtyard breakfast???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2018, 4:20 pm

I am Gold Elite and should become Platinum Elite on August 18. I have a stay at a Courtyard from Aug 15-20. I called to see how they would handle the changes. Not surprisingly, the person that I talked to was not particularly knowledgeable about the new benefits and whether I'd get a F&B credit for my last 2 nights. Obviously, not a big deal. But, it would be nice if I got what I think should be $20/day for the last two days of my stay. However, I suspect Aug. 18 will be crazy with their systems down. So, even if they intended to make the change for me, I'm not sure they'd have the access to see that it should happen. Too bad. I originally booked this trip partially because I assumed the changes would kick in on Aug. 1.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:44 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by sdflyer04
Not surprisingly, the person that I talked to was not particularly knowledgeable about the new benefits and whether I'd get a F&B credit for my last 2 nights. Obviously, not a big deal. But, it would be nice if I got what I think should be $20/day for the last two days of my stay.
I want to make sure I'm not confused either.

So is the CY breakfast benefit once per stay or daily? I thought it was once per stay for North America/Europe and daily for most everywhere else?
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by hhoope01
I want to make sure I'm not confused either.

So is the CY breakfast benefit once per stay or daily? I thought it was once per stay for North America/Europe and daily for most everywhere else?
Beginning August 18, 2018:

Courtyard in US, Canada, and Europe

— All Hotels: Welcome gift of 500 points per stay or $10 F&B credit for member + 1 guest, daily

Courtyard in Middle East, Asia Pacific, and Central/ Latin America

— Hotels WITHOUT lounge: Welcome gift of 500 points per stay or F&B amenity or $10 F&B credit for member + 1 guest, daily

— Hotels WITH lounge: Welcome gift of 500 points per stay and breakfast in lounge for member + 1 guest, daily
Old Aug 7, 2018, 6:58 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Thanks. I had looked and found an old chart that didn't show North America as "Daily", but from all the discussions I figured I must be wrong. Just wanted to verify.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by Horace

— All Hotels: Welcome gift of 500 points per stay or $10 F&B credit for member + 1 guest, daily

— Hotels WITHOUT lounge: Welcome gift of 500 points per stay or F&B amenity or $10 F&B credit for member + 1 guest, daily

— Hotels WITH lounge: Welcome gift of 500 points per stay and breakfast in lounge for member + 1 guest, daily
I am curious what will happen with a courtyard that is branded as a resort.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by r3cycle19
There doesn't seem to be a Courtyard resort category so I would assume they just get treated as regular Courtyards:

US, CANADA AND EUROPE: $10 F&B credit for member + 1 guest,

MIDDLE EAST, ASIA PACIFIC AND CENTRAL/ LATIN AMERICA: daily Hotels WITHOUT lounge: F&B amenity OR $10 F&B credit for member + 1 guest, daily Hotels WITH lounge: 500 points per stay AND breakfast in lounge for member + 1 guest, daily
Old Aug 7, 2018, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by r3cycle19
The "special handling" for breakfast at resorts (excluded today, welcome gift choice beginning August 18) applies to five legacy Marriott full-service brands only, not to any limited service brands.

However, it's probably safe to say that "$10 F&B credit for member + 1 guest" will go further at a typical Courtyard in a U.S. suburban office park than a Courtyard on the ocean in Hawaii.

Last edited by Horace; Aug 7, 2018 at 8:10 pm
Old Aug 8, 2018, 12:28 am

So is it $10 for you and $10 for a guest per day? So $20 a day? Or is it $10 for both you and your guest?
Old Aug 8, 2018, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by Marriott15
So is it $10 for you and $10 for a guest per day? So $20 a day? Or is it $10 for both you and your guest?
$10 for the Platinum Elite member. Another $10 if there is a second guest in the room.

It remains to be seen if there will be a process to prevent a guest traveling alone from getting two $10 F&B credits daily and thus having $20 daily toward breakfast and a bar tab.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 7:40 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
$10 for the Platinum Elite member. Another $10 if there is a second guest in the room.

It remains to be seen if there will be a process to prevent a guest traveling alone from getting two $10 F&B credits daily and thus having $20 daily toward breakfast and a bar tab.
You realize you have just confirmed for "Buffy Davis" the idea of claiming 'Mrs Beasely" as a second guest, arriving later, so as to pocket the extra $10 voucher? That Buffy Davis probably doesn't even want the second voucher. She just likes scamming the hotel, although it's hard knowing that if you pay the same rate but have a second guest there would be $10 from the hotel.
Horace likes this.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 8:04 am

Originally Posted by gordonlee33
I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, so sorry to be asking something that seems to have been discussed a million times. But I've literally just spent well over an hour searching the internet and still can't figure out a definite answer (of course a lot of links take me to old program information, so that keeps it confusing)

Bottom line - I'm now Marriott Gold due to SPG merger and will have my first Courtyard stay next week. Will I get any kind of free breakfast?
We just finished 2 nights of stay at Courtyard Taipei with GOLD status and each room did get free access to lounge AND the option of having breakfast at the Sunrise restaurant.

But if you are only GOLD after the merge, I doubt you will get lounge but not sure about breakfast.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by musicscrip

We just finished 2 nights of stay at Courtyard Taipei with GOLD status and each room did get free access to lounge AND the option of having breakfast at the Sunrise restaurant.

But if you are only GOLD after the merge, I doubt you will get lounge but not sure about breakfast.
The new published rules for the Platinum Welcome Gift and lounge access in Asia (see post 18 of this thread) only apply to Platinum Elite and higher, and begin August 18.

Properties can provide more than the published benefit. Perhaps the Courtyard Taipei will continue to exceed expectations, but I would expect most Courtyards to stick to the published benefits.

Rewards members who are Gold Elite (earned, not just linked) today will be Platinum Elite beginning August 18.

Last edited by Horace; Aug 8, 2018 at 5:12 pm
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:55 pm

What can I buy for $10 at the Courtyard bistro? At Courtyards in Canada, would the $10 F&B credit be the equivalent of 10 US dollars or just 10 Canadian dollars?
Old Sep 23, 2018, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by UpInTheAir
What can I buy for $10 at the Courtyard bistro? At Courtyards in Canada, would the $10 F&B credit be the equivalent of 10 US dollars or just 10 Canadian dollars?
According to the current wording at Marriott's Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions, Welcome Gift options available to Platinum Elite and Platinum Premier Elite Members are: "United States, Canada, Europe: 500 Points per Stay or U.S. $10 F&B credit per day for Member + 1."

"U.S. $10" would mean $10 in the United Sates or the local equivalent elsewhere.

One thing to realize about the name of this topic — "Still confused on Courtyard breakfast???" — is that there is not a true Courtyard breakfast benefit. There is only a Welcome Gift option that can be applied toward breakfast or toward other F&B purchases.

I hope FlyerTalk participants who qualify for this benefit will post their experiences since August 18 here on this thread — not only if a Courtyard failed to train its staff properly, but also if a Courtyard handled it well. I'd be especially interested if any Courtyards have gone "above and beyond," possibly by offering a $10 breakfast "package" of some sort.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Here is how the Courtyard at which I am staying is handling the food and beverage amenity choice:

$10 available from check in until 4 p.m. the following day, which can be used either at the pantry or any food outlet; however, alcohol is specifically excluded. Each day at 4PM of a multi-night stay the old credit disappears, with the next one taking its place. The daily credit must be used in its entirety the first transaction - clerk made it very clear that if I used it to grab a single candy bar from the pantry right away, the credit would then be gone until 4:00 the next afternoon, not a cumulative spend!

As I'm traveling solo I didn't inquire specifically, but I am fairly certain that for two people they would have to be two separate $10 minimum transactions per day.

These are internal credits, no paper vouchers involved.

​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.