FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   SET codes HELP, SPG and Marriott (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1923117-set-codes-help-spg-marriott.html)

EleanorMcDaniel Aug 2, 2018 5:52 pm

SET codes HELP, SPG and Marriott

I did search, but came up with nothing, so am hoping someone can help.

I am a loyal SPG lifetime platinum, and I do know how to get good rates using the SET code system, with my employer's code, of course.

Once we switch to Marriott, I am clueless. All I can ever do over there is put in my AAA number and it saves me a few bucks here and there, but my SPG SET code sometimes saves $$$ or gives perks like free parking etc...

Can someone school me on how to use the Marriott system please?

tonei Aug 2, 2018 6:35 pm

Ask your employer for their Marriott corporate code. (Presumably if they have one with SPG and not with Marriott, they’ll be receiving a new number if they haven’t already).

RogerD408 Aug 2, 2018 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by EleanorMcDaniel (Post 30041418)
I did search, but came up with nothing, so am hoping someone can help.

I am a loyal SPG lifetime platinum, and I do know how to get good rates using the SET code system, with my employer's code, of course.

Once we switch to Marriott, I am clueless. All I can ever do over there is put in my AAA number and it saves me a few bucks here and there, but my SPG SET code sometimes saves $$$ or gives perks like free parking etc...

Is your company publicly traded? Try their ticker symbol. But before getting too excited, there's nothing that says SPG SET codes won't be loaded into the Marriott system. There is so much we don't know yet, and I bet a whole lot MPG hasn't figured out yet. Personally, I have found more negotiated rates via SPG using our SET code with very special rate details (eg. transportation to/from local office, full breakfast, etc.). Again a lot to be learned.

UA-NYC Aug 2, 2018 8:10 pm

There are very public lists of all the Marriott SET codes. You aren't missing much...

controller1 Aug 2, 2018 8:19 pm

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 30041748)
There are very public lists of all the Marriott SET codes. You aren't missing much...

I find it interesting that those of us regulars on the Starwood forum have guarded our SET codes to prevent abuse of such. Yet, the Marriott forum has a sticky thread with a listing of codes.

CPRich Aug 2, 2018 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by EleanorMcDaniel (Post 30041418)

Select the "Corporate/Promo" rate, instead of the AAA rate, and enter your code where it says "Enter Code".

If you don't know it, just ask your employer for your code. While my SPG code is a long string of digits, MR is just 3 letters, which are pretty obvious from (an old version of) the company name.

Example: I'll give you 3 guesses on the IBM code. And the first 2 can't be "IBM".

CPRich Aug 2, 2018 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by controller1 (Post 30041769)
Yet, the Marriott forum has a sticky thread with a listing of codes.

"List of publicly usable Marriott reservation codes." No Corporate codes are included.

SET codes are not publicly available codes. SPG public promo codes, such as Z6H/Z6R/Z4H/Z4R have been widely discussed.

controller1 Aug 2, 2018 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 30041829)
"List of publicly usable Marriott reservation codes." No Corporate codes are included.

SET codes are not publicly available codes. SPG public promo codes, such as Z6H/Z6R/Z4H/Z4R have been widely discussed.

Thanks.

EleanorMcDaniel Aug 4, 2018 7:02 am

Thanks everybody, much appreciated.

yeunganson Aug 10, 2018 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by controller1 (Post 30041769)
I find it interesting that those of us regulars on the Starwood forum have guarded our SET codes to prevent abuse of such. Yet, the Marriott forum has a sticky thread with a listing of codes.

It's a membership cultural thing. I think the "founding fathers" of the Starwood Forum thought it was a bad idea to be sharing all these SET codes and membership generally agreed. The membership was generally supportive on the not-sharing SET codes when I joined a decade ago. This way, honest users can ask employer's travel department or co-workers for the SET code. So the since the codes are mostly of legit use, hotels only once a while ask for proof of employer and (at least in my case) the two to three SET codes I am entitled to use and have permission to use usually have rates slightly lower than the flexible rate on the whole Starwood chian - they do have steeper discounts on specific properties that employees of the organization visit the most often for business.

pvn Aug 10, 2018 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by yeunganson (Post 30069743)
It's a membership cultural thing. I think the "founding fathers" of the Starwood Forum thought it was a bad idea to be sharing all these SET codes and membership generally agreed. The membership was generally supportive on the not-sharing SET codes when I joined a decade ago. This way, honest users can ask employer's travel department or co-workers for the SET code. So the since the codes are mostly of legit use, hotels only once a while ask for proof of employer and (at least in my case) the two to three SET codes I am entitled to use and have permission to use usually have rates slightly lower than the flexible rate on the whole Starwood chian - they do have steeper discounts on specific properties that employees of the organization visit the most often for business.

Please read the post three above yours again. It's not a "cultural thing". You've just misunderstood what the list is.

Originally Posted by CPRich (Post 30041829)

chimark Aug 16, 2018 7:59 pm

If you know a Marriott hotel your employer has a corporate negotiated rate with, Marriott reservations may give you the code if you call and ask. While my employer provides us with the codes for Starwood & IHG, the relationship with Marriott & Hilton is different with a special "leisure travel" link that employees must use to get discounts. The Marriott link is generally only special weekend deals and doesn't include negotiated rates, so I simply called reservations asked if they could look at the XXXX company rate for a hotel. I asked if I could have the code to book it directly in the future and she gladly gave it to me.

sscywong Aug 17, 2018 10:49 am

For whatever reason my employer has three SET codes... While there's one among three more commonly used, and most of the time two of the three codes give same rate, it's troublesome to check all three codes so my secretary usually just call the hotel and quote the company name in order to get the corporate rate...

Guess SET and MR code will be running in parallel and probably vary from property to property.....

Berto Aug 18, 2018 8:59 am

In case anyone is wondering what your new Marriott code is, if you add your SET code (hopefully that you have legitimately from your employer) to the corporate discount box on the new SPG.com, you'll get this message at the top of your search results:

"We have changed code XXXXXX to YYY. Please use the new code in the future."

canael Aug 31, 2018 2:28 am

Availability corporate rates

Since they merged the programs oftentimes I see the lowest category room available but at a much higher price than the negotiated rate. Anyone else experiencing this?