Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Ritz Carlton Toronto [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2018, 6:45 pm
Original Poster

There appears to be no threads on this property. Has no one stayed here before ? I have an upcoming stay in October and was looking for feedback / thoughts on the experience.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: United 1K
I've stayed there over Christmas 2017. The lobby was beautifully decorated for the holidays. A significant number of guests were from mainland China and the hotel made an effort to accommodate their linguistic needs.

My only demerit was that the laundry valet bags were plastic instead of cloth.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 6:55 am

Stayed there probably over 10 times. A relaxing, calm hotel in a quieter location with a park and all the theatres right outside your door. Numerous diverse eating places to walk to. Look at the club floor if you like a lounge-like atmosphere to relax in and having access to free liquor and reasonably tasty food. IMO, this and the near by Shangri-la are the two best overall 5 star Toronto hotels.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by Watkin
Stayed there probably over 10 times. A relaxing, calm hotel in a quieter location with a park and all the theatres right outside your door. Numerous diverse eating places to walk to. Look at the club floor if you like a lounge-like atmosphere to relax in and having access to free liquor and reasonably tasty food. IMO, this and the near by Shangri-la are the two best overall 5 star Toronto hotels.
I would add the Four Seasons to the list too.
Old Aug 6, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
I stayed about 18 months ago, so not all that recently, but was very happy there—nice room, great service, and for me a good location.
Old Aug 7, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: A bunch
Stayed here exactly 4 yrs ago. We were impressed. I don’t think there has been a renovation since our stay.
See our review to help decide: Trip Report: Toronto (part 4) Ritz Carlton Toronto - PointsPinnaclePointsPinnacle
Old Nov 6, 2018, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Ritz Carlton YYZ - October 2018

Background:
I was in town for a friend's wedding and so stayed for three nights at the Ritz Carlton Toronto.

Check in:
I checked in at around 1100h. I was welcomed as a Gold member for what it's worth. There appears to only be one category of room at this hotel and various suites which I was not eligible for upgrade to.

"Luxury Deluxe Guest Room":

The room was fine - nothing overly special apart from the view of the CN Tower. The iron was of good quality but the ironing board was not. Toiletries are provided by Asprey.

Gym and pool:

The gym was decent and not crowded. In addition to the pool, there is a sauna and steam room in addition to a well-appointed changing room with showers.

Breakfast:
Breakfast is served at TOCA on the mezzanine level above the check-in desks.

The food was of very good quality and there is also a chef station serving a la carte eggs. Service was attentive and friendly.

Conclusion:
At the right price, this is a decent option and better than what I experienced at the Westin Grand Harbour many years ago. However, I wasn't wow-ed by much. A comfortable and competent experience.
bizum likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Toronto in November 2017. I had to fight for an upgrade as a legacy Marriott platinum premier.

I thought the hotel rooms were about 5 years past-due for a renovation. The televisions were from 2008, there weren't nearly enough electrical outlets for devices, and there were zero USB outlets. Also, there was oddly no turndown service.

I liked that the club lounge had some Niagara wine, which is actually pretty good, but I was surprised it didn't have champagne. The food was pretty limited -- hardly a full spread capable of replacing an evening meal -- and definitely not worth paying for access, in my opinion.

I wouldn't stay there again, as it didn't offer enough to justify the premium over the many other Marriott properties in Toronto.
bizum likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Just stayed here 3 nights. Booked into a Club Level King but upgraded without asking to a Club Level 1BR Corner Suite. 2nd time in 3 stays here that I have been upgraded to a suite without asking (was PPE 1st stay, Ambassador 2nd stay) which in my experience is a much higher hit rate than most other Ritz-Carlton properties.

Suite is nice and modern, bed and bathroom excellent. Personally didn't notice a lot of wear and tear. Gym on 5th floor is relatively large with a good selection of cardio, weight machines and free weights. Club is on top floor with nice views and offered a nice spread of food pretty much on par with most North American RC club levels. Club was very lightly trafficked during my stay.

Location is prime. Just across from convention center and Union Station, stones throw to CN tower, arena.

I've also stayed at the Delta hotel a couple blocks away and that was nice too. Ritz is a more premium property with a more premium price. If you like staying at Ritz's you will probably like staying here.
bizum likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 3:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by BillBurn
Just stayed here 3 nights. Booked into a Club Level King but upgraded without asking to a Club Level 1BR Corner Suite. 2nd time in 3 stays here that I have been upgraded to a suite without asking (was PPE 1st stay, Ambassador 2nd stay) which in my experience is a much higher hit rate than most other Ritz-Carlton properties.

Suite is nice and modern, bed and bathroom excellent. Personally didn't notice a lot of wear and tear. Gym on 5th floor is relatively large with a good selection of cardio, weight machines and free weights. Club is on top floor with nice views and offered a nice spread of food pretty much on par with most North American RC club levels. Club was very lightly trafficked during my stay.

Location is prime. Just across from convention center and Union Station, stones throw to CN tower, arena.

I've also stayed at the Delta hotel a couple blocks away and that was nice too. Ritz is a more premium property with a more premium price. If you like staying at Ritz's you will probably like staying here.
For what it's worth, the St. Regis, formerly the Trump but fully renovated, has cheaper rates or did on the dates I checked.

Last edited by hockeyinsider; Feb 5, 2019 at 4:23 pm Reason: typo
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
For what it's worth, the St. Regis, formerly the Trump but fully renovated, has cheaper dates or did on the dates I checked.
Thanks, I may try out the St Regis next time I am there.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:53 pm

A friend of mine stayed here and the hotel did not impress me at all when I visited. The Sunday brunch at TOCA was a one trick pony with the only focal point being the frankly not very well prepared all you can eat seafood. The only selling point for me was the direct PATH access.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I wonder if business is taking a hit at this hotel now that the former Trump hotel, temporarily called The Adelaide, is now the St. Regis Toronto. As a platinum member I can't imagine staying here over the St. Regis unless I was using one of my club certs.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by nexusCFX
I wonder if business is taking a hit at this hotel now that the former Trump hotel, temporarily called The Adelaide, is now the St. Regis Toronto. As a platinum member I can't imagine staying here over the St. Regis unless I was using one of my club certs.
I recently stayed at the St Regis and have numerous times in all its past incarnations and I'd say the Ritz is better on most levels. Better lobby, better variety of restaurants, queen beds as opposed to doubles, a Club floor and better spa area. The St Regis has a better, and bigger, pool and hot tub though and their new restaurant on the top floor looks spectacular. And personally the Ritz area is way better - views of the lake on one side, walk out to a park and theatres and symphony hall on the other. Just a bit more calming area of Toronto I'd say.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 7:00 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Watkin
I recently stayed at the St Regis and have numerous times in all its past incarnations and I'd say the Ritz is better on most levels. Better lobby, better variety of restaurants, queen beds as opposed to doubles, a Club floor and better spa area. The St Regis has a better, and bigger, pool and hot tub though and their new restaurant on the top floor looks spectacular. And personally the Ritz area is way better - views of the lake on one side, walk out to a park and theatres and symphony hall on the other. Just a bit more calming area of Toronto I'd say.
I stayed at it when it was the Adelaide and I felt the hard product was much nicer and more modern than the RC. My room was a single king, I guess if you need two beds then two queens at the RC is better than two doubles. Based on how hotels allocate bed configurations I would say most people stay in a room with one bed though so I don't know how many people this affects. The hotels are 8min apart so I don't know how the area can be "way better" at one than the other. Better views is a fair assessment, but better area? At least for me, growing up in Toronto, my concept of the area I was in extended beyond what I could see right from my door, but I guess everyone has a different take on it.

Club floor is great for sure. If I have a spare club cert and I'm staying at the hotel a lot I would go RC. But it's also about 100 USD a night for club access normally while the St. Regis gives breakfast for elites.

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I stayed at the Ritz-Carlton Toronto in November 2017. I had to fight for an upgrade as a legacy Marriott platinum premier.

I thought the hotel rooms were about 5 years past-due for a renovation. The televisions were from 2008, there weren't nearly enough electrical outlets for devices, and there were zero USB outlets. Also, there was oddly no turndown service.

I liked that the club lounge had some Niagara wine, which is actually pretty good, but I was surprised it didn't have champagne. The food was pretty limited -- hardly a full spread capable of replacing an evening meal -- and definitely not worth paying for access, in my opinion.

I wouldn't stay there again, as it didn't offer enough to justify the premium over the many other Marriott properties in Toronto.
This is basically how I feel. Dated hard product, no elite recognition compared to St. Regis, club lounge worth it if I have a club cert but not for cash. Maybe the RC has been renovated since I was there last? I didn't hear about it if it was.

Last edited by nexusCFX; Feb 5, 2019 at 7:08 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.