Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mobile Check-in Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by BearX220
Hilton OLCI has been offline the last two or three times I've tried it (over the past two weeks, all US properties), the online choose-your-room maps are pretty useless unless you have prior experience with the hotel, and the Digital Key function is not exactly ubiquitous.
Agree on the Hilton maps. I go to TripAdvisor where they have a section on room types. People review them and then you can quickly peruse just the room reviews/advice so you know which floor and direction to face. Still takes some time, but at least you can better estimate what to choose.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: UA Gold, AA Plat Pro, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, IHG Plat Elite, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by Kacee
With SPG and Marriott, there's basically no benefit except you've told the hotel you're coming, so they shouldn't give your room away.

Hilton's app has better functionality and allows you to actually select your room, including an upgraded room type if you've been pre-upgraded.
Agreed! In fact I just sent a message to SPG about how poor their app is compared to Hilton regarding this issue.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I would agree that there is no real benefit for the customer in mobile check-in (for SPG and Marriott) at this time. I did get my mobile key for the Marriott Long Wharf in Boston last year, but it didn't work and I had to go to the desk to resolve that anyway, so again, not real benefit. I would expect that when they roll out more hotels where you can use your phone as your key, this will start being more of a benefit, but, for now, it is just a way of telling them that you are still coming to the hotel.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, OW Emerald, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
With SPG and Marriott, there's basically no benefit except you've told the hotel you're coming, so they shouldn't give your room away.

Hilton's app has better functionality and allows you to actually select your room, including an upgraded room type if you've been pre-upgraded.
100%. When I checked in with the Hilton app, as a lowly Gold, I was informed that I was upgraded to a better room, the room # and also that I would be given Executive Club benefits (this was for the Hilton Canary Wharf in London).
Old Jul 30, 2018, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Dubosc
I did a mobile check-in the morning of a reservation. I arrived at the hotel just after 6pm and waited in line for 25minutes while the one clerk available checked in two guests ahead of me. I interrupted her and asked if there was anyone there for mobile checkins, she told me « no, just wait ». When it was finally my turn I asked her (in a very polite way), what point, if any, there was in having mobile check in if I had to wait in line for 25 minutes anyway. ».
I recall reading an article a while ago about some Starwood hotels -- maybe the W? -- where they supported a mobile app ("SPG Keyless") that not only allowed check-in and learning of your assigned room, but I think enabled the guest to open the room's door. Unsure whether or not they had to make an actual stop at the front desk though.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by livebetter_travelmore
I recall reading an article a while ago about some Starwood hotels -- maybe the W? -- where they supported a mobile app ("SPG Keyless") that not only allowed check-in and learning of your assigned room, but I think enabled the guest to open the room's door. Unsure whether or not they had to make an actual stop at the front desk though.
I've used this, and it's great. No need to check in at the front desk, but I did anyway since I was traveling with colleagues that needed to.

As for the OP, interrupting the front desk while they are already with a client is extremely rude. I'm shocked they didn't reassign you to a basement room for that.
Grog and smc333 like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by quemalo
As for the OP, interrupting the front desk while they are already with a client is extremely rude.
I'll submit an opposing view here. It's not rude. It is routine. When I check in people sometimes drop off keys, ask for directions to ballroom X, etc. I have never given this a second thought, nor have I ever been rebuffed when I do this myself.
kennycrudup and Dubosc like this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 1:51 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Dubosc
i then said « never mind the management /employee thing. Do you, as a person, think there is a point to having a mobile check in if you have to wait in line for almost half an hour?’´.
Am I being ridiculous by being bothered by this?
Your expectation that an employee should accept beratement and be forced to humiliate his or herself to speak against their employer is a bit much. Not that I haven't done it, but I've never been proud of myself afterward. You already interrupted other guests and then decided on your own to wait the 25 minutes. There's no value in badgering a front desk clerk into submission? Especially being a Platinum, I would instead use the resources made available to complain both to the hotel manager and to Starwood, rather than beating up on the smallest of employees for something completely out of their control. My two cents.
writerguyfl, joakgarp and smc333 like this.

Last edited by Grog; Jul 30, 2018 at 1:58 pm
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Yep, op's behaviour is embrassing. Hope he didn't get a room upgrade.
Regarding mobile check in, let's say it has potential. Will probably be something very good within 1-2 years with Marriott. As it is now, it's only good for the hotel to know when I'll show up and check out so they can plan accordingly.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:04 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
In June I did online check-in at the Sheraton New Orleans. I waited about five minutes in the SPG line while the front desk clerk checked in another guest. When I got to the desk, I gave my name and handed the clerk my drivers license and credit card. The front desk clerk said, "Oh you checked in online. Thanks so much. Just a minute." She disappears behind a door and re-emerges twenty seconds later with my card packet, hands me by ID and credit card back stating she did not need the CC unless I wanted to change the card attached to the reservation. She then tells me that I've been upgraded. I leave the front desk very happy. Excluding standing in line, the transaction took less than 60 seconds. Now if they could just fix that standing in line!
Dubosc likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I don't stay at hotels much through the year, but as a force of habit from airline mobile check-ins I've experienced the same thing.

One place I stayed at had NFC locks so that made sense, I'd love to check in, walk to my room and tap my phone. But in the other instances, mobile check-in has literally done nothing for me, other than (I suppose) hold my room in the event of an overbooking so they didn't give away my room to someone else. I end up in the line, and end up having to give all the same details/ID to the person at the desk anyway. I really hate the attitude of "I just work here", because as a manager I can't stand having to answer for not just bad IT or whatever, but also bad service.
Dubosc likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:14 pm

Programs: 3RR, UA, BA, AA, HH, Marriott RW,
For Marriott, we arrived in the Sydney CBD at 9am and knowing the room would not be available, did the usual and dropped the bags off at the front desk. The FDA asked if we had the mobile app, which we did, and said to check in and that we would be notified when our room was ready. We went out to explore a bit and sure enough around 1130am we were notified via the app that the room was ready. Returned and in 30 seconds were up to our room. We probably could have checked in while in the airport and gotten the room earlier, but still, no complaints!
Dubosc likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by davie355
When I check in people sometimes drop off keys, ask for directions to ballroom X, etc. I have never given this a second thought, nor have I ever been rebuffed when I do this myself.
Just because you're rude and think nothing of it doesn't make it right.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Super Elite, Priority Club Platinum Elite,
Originally Posted by quemalo
I've used this, and it's great. No need to check in at the front desk, but I did anyway since I was traveling with colleagues that needed to.

As for the OP, interrupting the front desk while they are already with a client is extremely rude. I'm shocked they didn't reassign you to a basement room for that.
I didn’t think I needed to fill in every mundane detail of it, but since you seem to assume the worst of me I will. The people in front of me didn’t know what to do with their car. When asked if they would prefer valet or self-park the couple decided to have a 5-minute long debate with each other about it. The clerk was stood there silently while they discussed their options ad neauseam. It was then that I asked her about the mobile check-in. What kind of animal do you take me for? Who would interrupt someone mid-conversation or while they were occupied? Sheesh...

also I will often just pop over while an FDA is doing something and silently slide my key to them with a wave goodbye (especially at properties that know me well). I don’t see anything wrong with that and I never mind when others do it.

Last edited by Dubosc; Jul 30, 2018 at 10:04 pm
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SPG lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Super Elite, Priority Club Platinum Elite,
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Maybe it's because I used to work in hospitality, but this line of questioning comes across as blaming the employee for things they didn't do. The rental employee doesn't check out the mechanical functions of every car before giving it to the customer. And the hotel Front Desk agent didn't design how the mobile check-in function interfaces with Starwood systems.

As mahasamatman notes, you're putting the employee in a no-win situation. If she or he says, "Yes, it's pointless to have mobile check-in if you also have to wait in line," that's effectively disparaging Starwood. While you may appreciate the candor, other people would find it off-putting for an employee to say negative things about their employer in front of a guest.

You were upset. I get that and it seems appropriate. But, expecting an hourly employee to accept responsibility for poor implementation of a product by disparaging their employer is not appropriate.
Nah, maybe it seems that way but I certainly wasn’t trying to get them to disparage their employer. I find it almost comical that hundreds of thousands of dollars would be spent debeolping, implementing and advertising an app/system that seems to serve no actual tangible purpose. That’s all.

that Hilton app sounds pretty cool on the other hand!

I had a similar situation the other day at a gas station. I went to use the tap (in case you don’t have that it’s a wireless function on a credit card where you just tap it against the machine to complete your purchase, no need to sign or enter a pin) and the clerk told me that I couldn’t because the tap was limited to purchases under $50. Mind you this is a gas station that sells nothing but gas, no food/drinks/magazines. I laughed and asked him what was the point of having a tap reader here if it was limited to $50. He also laughed and agreed that it was pretty silly considering the average purchase was $75 give or take.

I didn’t think I was being rude or offensive and neither did he.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.