Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mobile Check-in Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2021, 7:58 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by emma dog
I frequently use it, especially if I'm not really looking/hoping for an upgrade. Just used it this last weekend at the Lexington Marriott without any issues.
I have an upcoming 3 night stay at a Courtyard and used it to secure my preferred room choice and there’s no upgrade so there was no harm in doing so.

Some properties are awesome and just issue you a mobile key without any interaction and some are just lackadaisical and make you jump through hoops on arrival. YMMV.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 10:25 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
I use it nearly every time, and to your other concern I've used the "Chat" feature with great benefit.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 10:49 am

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
I use it regularly and it works pretty reliably now. I get upgraded rooms as titanium and often request a late checkout. For my current stay I checked in online on Saturday but didn't arrive at the hotel until Sunday morning as I stayed at a friends place after enjoying some adult beverages. No hassles with the room being cancelled, just walked straight to my room when I arrived.
Old Aug 3, 2021, 3:52 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by rucksack
I've tried it a few times in the past, but it almost never actually works (often it says I need to stop by the front desk to get my mobile key issued), and it seems like there's almost zero chance of getting an upgrade unless you check-in at the front desk.

What are other people's experiences? Does anyone use it regularly?
I think you'll find that in the niche FT community, digital keys, online check in and attempting to use the app to chat with the property are things that get some usage. With that said, for the travelling public in general all of those things are fairly irrelevant. As an example, at the Hampton that I work at I've never seen more than 10-12% of the occupied rooms using digital key at any one time. I know people who work at neighboring Tru, CY, HWS, FFI properties and it's all more or less the same thing. Also keep in mind that a lot of limited service properties do not have a mechanism where the travelling public can "chat" with the property in real time. While some do, a lot don't.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I used it three times recently (EWR, PHL, BWI). It truly only worked (mobile key issued) once. Regardless, I still had to stop by the front desk to get key cards for Mrs. Swede and the kids since they don't have the app. Requests for extra towels done in the app prior to arrival were successful.
Old Aug 5, 2021, 4:09 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
Still a little hit or miss, especially for the mobile key. I've successfully been issued the key a few times, then last stay at the Courtyard Paso Robles, CA they said they needed to actually see my credit card. It's the same card I've had a file for a few years.

Checked in last week to Sheraton Waikiki and the app said I would receive a mobile key. When I got there they said no mobile keys are supported.

Agree, the chat feature to ask about rooms or upgrades is a great one and very useful!
Old Feb 23, 2022, 1:27 pm

Did Marriott Bonvoy just update the up and remove the mention in the check-in confirmation page that elite members are eligible for upgrades ??
Old Feb 27, 2022, 6:08 am

Marriott Bonvoy mobile check in hotels

Hi! Does any one know of any Marriott properties in the US or Europe that allow mobile check in and give you your mobile key without having to pass through the front desk!

Thank you
Old Feb 28, 2022, 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by Nasser
Hi! Does any one know of any Marriott properties in the US or Europe that allow mobile check in and give you your mobile key without having to pass through the front desk!

Thank you
Many of them are supposed to. You should call the hotel in question and confirm. It's been about 50/50 for me over the past year...some of them did send the key and room number and it worked. One time they didn't because they said they needed a credit card on file, even though I have one on file. Another time they sent me the key but it didn't work.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 2:00 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Hi! Does any one know of any Marriott properties in the US or Europe that allow mobile check in and give you your mobile key without having to pass through the front desk
It's hit-or-miss, but I've done exactly that in a few properties from CA to FL. The issue isn't a particular property, it's if MR IT (... sooo, good luck) pushes the key to your app in time- and even then I've gotten the key and room delivered to me and it still didn't work.

Also, it seems ex-SPG properties have a better success with this, as they had it (and it worked) pre-merger.
Old Mar 2, 2022, 4:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP 75K

Thank you
The W New York - Union Square and Marriott - Anchorage Downtown are the only hotels I stayed at this year that had a working mobile key after mobile check in.

I stayed at the Element - Seattle Airport, which is a new hotel, three different times this year and I was never sent a mobile key.
I also stayed at two different Luxury Collection properties (the Chatwal - New York and Palace Hotel - San Francisco) and neither of them gave me a mobile key.

I checked in using the app at all these hotels.

Last edited by BrandonAB; Mar 2, 2022 at 5:02 pm
Old Mar 3, 2022, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Did Marriott Bonvoy just update the up and remove the mention in the check-in confirmation page that elite members are eligible for upgrades ??
Checked in today with mobile app and the offer to receive a complimentary upgrade was there. Mobile key also offered (Westin, downtown LA).

Last edited by tstauck; Mar 3, 2022 at 4:49 pm Reason: typo
Old May 17, 2022, 9:01 am

Newbie user here. I was wondering, if I make a reservation in my name and add an authorized guest, is there any way the authorized guest can check in and get a mobile key, or does the fact that mobile check in is limited to Bonvoy members mean that it's also limited to reservations tied to your own Bonvoy account?

(I apologize if this has been asked and answered before - I tried to run a search for "authorized" and was told there were no hits, which I find unlikely!)
Old May 17, 2022, 6:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by yonatan
Newbie user here. I was wondering, if I make a reservation in my name and add an authorized guest, is there any way the authorized guest can check in and get a mobile key, or does the fact that mobile check in is limited to Bonvoy members mean that it's also limited to reservations tied to your own Bonvoy account?

(I apologize if this has been asked and answered before - I tried to run a search for "authorized" and was told there were no hits, which I find unlikely!)
The mobile key works in association with the Bonvoy app on your smartphone which is logged into your Bonvoy account - hence the app knows about your reservations, check-in status, and room number based on your personal Bonvoy login. I don't see how you could activate the mobile key functionality on another phone without them being logged into your Bonvoy account on the other phone which you probably don't want.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 22, 2022, 7:14 pm

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
I checked in online at the NY Marriott Marquis last weekend. They said they'd text me when the room was ready. We arrived at 7 pm. Still no text, so I went to the desk and she had me provide all the info again as if I hadn't checked in already. I'm just Gold, but she upgraded me to a great view room. The strange part was I received a text at 22:30 stating that my room was now ready even though we had been in our room for over three hours. We had a great stay and the hotel is still emaculate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.