Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SpringHill Suites Vs Residence Inn - what's so difference?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

I am wondering what is so different about SpringHill Suites Vs Residence Inn ?
I never stayed at SpringHill Suites
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:06 pm

SpringHill usually has a mini fridge, microwave, and some disposable plates / utensils. Residence Inn usually has a kitchen area with real dishes, dishwasher, microwave, full fridge, and usually stove and sometimes oven.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by albatross
SpringHill usually has a mini fridge, microwave, and some disposable plates / utensils. Residence Inn usually has a kitchen area with real dishes, dishwasher, microwave, full fridge, and usually stove and sometimes oven.
Much like the Towne Place Suites by Marriott which are increasingly attached to a SpringHill Suites sharing the pool, fitness and breakfast areas. Suited well for long-stay.

James
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
And how about FI vs. RI? SHS vs. TPS? They all seem so duplicative to me...
nexus7556 likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Residence Inn and TPSs have actual kitchens. RIs are a nicer typically than TPSs (though of course, that can vary by specific location). RIs breakfasts are nicer typically, as well. TPs are fairly barebones IMO.

FFIs and SHSs do not have kitchens, but SHSs typically have a microwave, a sink (i.e., a sink outside of the bathroom), and a countertop near by. FFIs typically just have a microwave. Both also have breakfast (like RIs and TPSs), and they are typically in between RIs and TPSs in quality.

I think the quality varies widely across each brand. I've been to dumpy hotels for each brand, but the new hotels of each brand can be very nice (though none are full service so you wouldn't want to compare them to those brands). For example, a few years ago, we stayed at a new TPS near Cape Cod that was really outstanding (and, we've also been to plenty of TPSs that are dumps...typically, I avoid TPSs but am open to FFIs/SHSs and RIs as location, price and need requires).
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
With Starwood, Aloft is the "kid sibling" (lower priced / limited service but same vibe) to W, and Element is the kid sibling of Westin.

Is the same relationship RI:FFI and SHS:TPS (as in better version:budget version of same concept)?
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Gold (Current Platinum), United Mileage Plus, Avis Preferred
Am important difference to some is that points earnings rates at RI & TPS (5 points for every $) are one half of the rates of other Marriott properties (10 points for every $.)
silverthief2 and Hipplewm like this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:57 pm

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
Springhills all have two rooms, Fairfield Inns usually just one room. Springhills are larger, and the front room has the mini-fridge, microwave, a sofa and usually a second chair, desk and desk chair. Springhills started out life as Fairfield Inn Suites, so they're just a larger, slightly better version of a decent Fairfield.

Residence Inns are more like an efficiency apartment, although there are 1 and 2 bedroom versions. Full-size appliances, that kind of thing. Even though they're built for longer stays, they tend to me more expensive than Courtyards. Breakfast is better than Fairfields, and they tend to have a basketball court/utility court setup. They used to do a snack/light dinner Monday-Thursday nights (for free), with beer (for free), but seem to be getting away from them.

TownPlace is similar to Res Inn but a giant step down. They tend to be cheap and you actually do find quite a few rooms have long-time stays in them. Breakfast is minimal, walls are thin, and since people actually live there, you tend to get a lot of cooking smells in the hallways. I refuse to stay in them, regardless of price or lack of other Marriott availability nearby.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
With Starwood, Aloft is the "kid sibling" (lower priced / limited service but same vibe) to W, and Element is the kid sibling of Westin.

Is the same relationship RI:FFI and SHS:TPS (as in better version:budget version of same concept)?
While Starwood bills Aloft and Element as "kid siblings" of W and Westin, I find those to be generally disappointing and very bare bone.

On the other hand, I've had some really good experiences with newer Marriott's SHS, CY, RI. There's brand standard in terms of what each hotel room provides, but in terms of niceness, the only thing that's consistent is that newer properties are nicer than old converts, regardless of the actual brands.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by catocony
Springhills all have two rooms, Fairfield Inns usually just one room. Springhills are larger, and the front room has the mini-fridge, microwave, a sofa and usually a second chair, desk and desk chair. Springhills started out life as Fairfield Inn Suites, so they're just a larger, slightly better version of a decent Fairfield.

Springfields aren't exactly 2 rooms. Here's a link to a floorplan: Springhill floor plan There's a room divider that visually separates the living space from the sleeping space, but there's no door for privacy or noise abatement.

I like the Springfield suites - we've stayed in a couple, and they are comfortable. Haven't stayed in a Townplace in years because the beds were horrible, but perhaps they've improved.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SP03
While Starwood bills Aloft and Element as "kid siblings" of W and Westin, I find those to be generally disappointing and very bare bone.

On the other hand, I've had some really good experiences with newer Marriott's SHS, CY, RI. There's brand standard in terms of what each hotel room provides, but in terms of niceness, the only thing that's consistent is that newer properties are nicer than old converts, regardless of the actual brands.
Well they are limited service so...

i am a big fan of both and would take one or an AC any time over the CY and all these. Ymmv
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:29 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
In my experience, many (though not all) Springhill Suites have a small bar/restaurant attached or in the building for dinner/evening service, while RIs, TPS, and FI generally don't.

RIs and TPS tend to have full apartment set ups for long term stays (sleeping area, living area, and kitchen with stove), though I've done a share of short stays at both. Though location dependent, as others have said, RIs tend to be a step up from TPS.

To me, Fairfield provides a much more basic service offering room-wise - a basic bed, bathroom, (maybe a mini fridge), and a hot breakfast. (In my experience, room decor is very plain). Basically what I'd expect from a Holiday Inn Express.

Springhill Suites provide at least studio suites, sometimes with multiple rooms. They have a kitchenette or wet bar with minifridge, microwave, and sink, though usually not a stove from what I've seen. (Good for longer term stays I suppose, as long as you're not counting on cooking). For me, I place Springhill suites on par with a Courtyard, though all else being equal, I'd prefer a SHS given the room size and breakfast benefit (and often the presence of a bar/restaurant).
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by sciconf
One sucks less?

David
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:51 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
I enjoy SHS much better than RI or TPS. Even on long stays I’m unlikely to cook so the microwave/ mini fridge/ wet bar set up suits me fine. SHS also tend to have a limited service bar off the lobby for evening use. I enjoy that SHS has a more Euro vibe ... breakfast includes cold cuts allowing me to make ham/ cheese/ spinach sandwich. And bathroom design has toilet and shower at opposite ends of bathroom rather than on top of each other as do many hotel room layouts.

SHS is a competitor to Hyatt Place in my experience.
lowfareair likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AA MM, HH Diamond, MR Gold
Originally Posted by ehallison
Springfields aren't exactly 2 rooms. Here's a link to a floorplan: Springhill floor plan There's a room divider that visually separates the living space from the sleeping space, but there's no door for privacy or noise abatement.

I like the Springfield suites - we've stayed in a couple, and they are comfortable. Haven't stayed in a Townplace in years because the beds were horrible, but perhaps they've improved.
The newer SHS I've stayed at have had an opaque divider, and an opaque bathroom door - so if you want the separation because one person likes to get up in the night, know that the light from the living area and the bathroom will illuminate the sleeping area.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.