Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SNA (Suite Night Award) General Discussion and Question Thread

SNA (Suite Night Award) General Discussion and Question Thread

    Hide Wikipost
Old May 29, 19, 11:44 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: CLEguy
Wiki Link
Recommended SNA Best Practices:
  1. According to the Marriott Lurkers in this forum (see post #220 in this thread), as confusing as it sounds, the SNA system is separate from the reservation system, so if a suite is showing as currently unavailable or available on the website, that does not necessarily mean it is currently unavailable or available for SNAs.
  2. As of March 2019, there is an IT bug on Marriott's website that prevents SNAs from being applied to many if not all prepaid reservations. One member has identified a workaround that enables you to "trick" the website into allowing you apply SNAs to prepaid reservation. Several members have reported success using this workaround to apply SNAs to their prepaid reservations. Hopefully Marriott will fix this IT bug in the near future.
  3. If your SNA clears, be sure to take a screen shot of what suite category you are assigned in the app and be prepared to show this to the front desk at check-in. Several members have reported being confirmed in certain suite categories when there SNAs have cleared or during mobile check-in only to be assigned lower a category room at check-in. Members who have taken screenshots of their initial SNA assignments have had success in getting properties to honor those original assignments after initially getting assigned inferior rooms at check-in.
  4. If you are assigned a lower category of room than any of the options offered during the SNA application process and/or if the hotel refuses honor the representations they made at any point during the SNA process, be sure to submit a formal complaint to Marriott and ask for your SNAs used during your stay to be reinstated. If you have followed the screenshot best practice, your screenshot should go a long way towards getting Marriott to eventually refund your SNA, although it may take a long time for customer service to process your request.
Non-Participating Brands:
Not all hotels participate in Suite Night Awards. Suite Night Awards are not redeemable at the following brands (subject to change at any time; see Marriott Bonvoy Terms and Conditions for full details): The Ritz-Carlton®, Protea Hotels®, Aloft®, Element®, Design Hotels™, all-suite hotels, Marriott Executive Apartments®, Marriott Vacation Club®, EDITION®, Ritz-Carlton Reserve®, The Ritz-Carlton Destination Clubs® and Marriott Grand Residence Club properties. In addition, Suite Night Awards are not redeemable at select Participating Properties. Contact Member Support for individual hotel Suite Night Award participation.

From post # 220.

The system is not checking what is available for sale at any marriott.com web site, so you should not be using the web sites as a guide for what is and is not available for SNA approval.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Social Media Specialist
Marriott International

FOR ANYONE TRYING TO ADD SNAS TO PRE-PAID NONREFUNDABLE BOOKINGS THAT MARRIOTT IT
CURRENTLY DOESN’T SEEM TO ALLOW, HERE IS A POSSIBLE WORK-AROUND. GOOD LUCK!

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30575978-post541.html

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
All, I believe that I've found a way of getting around Marriott's IT issue where SNA's cannot be used on advance purchase rates. It takes advantage of another error in the Marriott IT system (go figure) where changes in different windows are not handled properly. It seems to work for me - would be great if 2 else can confirm.

For this to work, in addition to a pre-paid reservation where SNAs are disabled you need a rate at a hotel where SNA's are eligible - so go book a bog-standard fully flex rate at your local Westin or whatever which you can cancel later if you don't currently have any flexible rates booked.

Log in to Marriott.com and click on "My Trips" (obviously this won't work for people whose trips are still not showing). Open "View/ Modify" in a new browser window/ tab on the flexible reservation first, and then open "View/ Modify" in the non-refundable reservation in another new window/ tab. Go back to the flexible reservation and click on "Start Upgrade Request" and it should take you to a webpage for the pre-paid reservation where you can finally select your SNAs.

The link for selecting your benefit:
https://choice-benefit.marriott.com/
Print Wikipost

Reply

Old Jan 7, 19, 6:08 am
  #586  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,050
Originally Posted by acf1270 View Post
Athens Marriott does not participate in the SNA program

as so I have been told on the phone by several supervisors, even though this property is not on the list of excluded properties and brands that are in the terms and conditions

I was told that it is listed on their "unpublished list"of additional excluded properties that are not listed in the terms and conditions

I asked the supervisor if she could please tell me what other properties are on this "secret unpublished list" of additional non-participating properties and she told me that she can not disclose that information
Now we have a secret unpublished list ?
Mister Nice is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 19, 7:05 am
  #587  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: London
Programs: BAEC, EK Skywards, WY Sindbad, Marriott 'Bonvoy' :/, IHG, Hilton Honors, Golden Circle
Posts: 2,626
Originally Posted by helvetic View Post
How can it be a returning guest favor when SNA clearing are automated and humans have no discretion.
In theory, yes, but I'm inclined to think SNAs still aren't 100% automated for all properties and once cleared the hotel has some discretion as to which room type you are given - see all the posts above about people frequently being given room types that they never tried to apply their SNA to!

If it wasn't true and it's therefore likely to be something I can benefit from repeatedly without needing the hotel's discretion, even better.
lost_in_translation is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 19, 11:45 am
  #588  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NYC,BCN
Programs: DL-PM, TK-Elite, AA-lifetime gold, SPG-Plat
Posts: 434
Originally Posted by Mister Nice View Post


Now we have a secret unpublished list ?
So I have been told.. exact words used by the supervisor
acf1270 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 19, 12:37 pm
  #589  
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 7,546
Just because a supervisor says or believes something in no way is evidence of anything, I’m afraid. If I had confirmed results 100%—or even 25%—of the time based on what hotel supervisors or even front line managers told me, my life would have been much easier.

Just as MR customer service agents are likely to share inaccurate or downright false information, intentionally or unintentionally, so are front line hotel staff.

Just as some properties wrongly behave in contradiction to the terms and conditions (JW Guanacaste, anyone?), this hotel supervisor may have told you what he or she believes to be true—even if it isn’t—or what he or she simply thought would get you to stop bothering them. That doesn’t make the information any more accurate or the hotel supervisor any more credible a source.

Just as Marriott social media wrongly communicated that a property is exempt from terms and conditions (JW Guanacaste, anyone?), that doesn’t make it any more accurate or the social media team any more credible a source.

Always consider the source and use common sense. It makes little sense that there is some hidden secret list of properties allowed to operate outside the Marriott terms and conditions. It makes more sense that the hotel supervisor in question is mistaken or was trying to CHA.

When the JW Guanacaste tried to pretend like it was exempt from Platinum suite upgrades, and when the Marriott social media team confirmed that, it took only a little digging to realize that such was NOT the case. It was a simple case of one property lying its butt off to not offer what should be offered...and social media being too lazy to bother to confirm the obvious.
rny321 likes this.
bhrubin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 19, 2:46 pm
  #590  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Posts: 1,662
I was told today that when a SNA is submitted a case is raised and sent to the hotel. I was also told they cannot do anything, but it makes me wonder why a case is raised and also makes me think it notifies a hotel of what SNA's are upcoming and which room types selected which would make it very easy for them to change inventory as required!
UKTraveller4Fun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 19, 5:40 pm
  #591  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NYC,BCN
Programs: DL-PM, TK-Elite, AA-lifetime gold, SPG-Plat
Posts: 434
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post
Just because a supervisor says or believes something in no way is evidence of anything, I’m afraid. If I had confirmed results 100%—or even 25%—of the time based on what hotel supervisors or even front line managers told me, my life would have been much easier.

Just as MR customer service agents are likely to share inaccurate or downright false information, intentionally or unintentionally, so are front line hotel staff.

Just as some properties wrongly behave in contradiction to the terms and conditions (JW Guanacaste, anyone?), this hotel supervisor may have told you what he or she believes to be true—even if it isn’t—or what he or she simply thought would get you to stop bothering them. That doesn’t make the information any more accurate or the hotel supervisor any more credible a source.

Just as Marriott social media wrongly communicated that a property is exempt from terms and conditions (JW Guanacaste, anyone?), that doesn’t make it any more accurate or the social media team any more credible a source.

Always consider the source and use common sense. It makes little sense that there is some hidden secret list of properties allowed to operate outside the Marriott terms and conditions. It makes more sense that the hotel supervisor in question is mistaken or was trying to CHA.

Just to clarify, it wasnt someone at the hotel that said this, it was a supervisor at marriott rewards call centre
acf1270 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 19, 6:13 pm
  #592  
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 7,546
Originally Posted by acf1270 View Post
Just to clarify, it wasnt someone at the hotel that said this, it was a supervisor at marriott rewards call centre
Just as we learned how uninformed staff are at all Marriott customer service centers and its social media team, I think it’s quite obvious that this supervisor isn’t what I’d consider to be a very credible source.

I think common sense still showcases the ridiculousness of a hidden secret list of properties allowed to somehow mysteriously operate outside the terms and conditions that otherwise already specifically list a few exempted properties.
bhrubin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 19, 6:20 pm
  #593  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: NYC,BCN
Programs: DL-PM, TK-Elite, AA-lifetime gold, SPG-Plat
Posts: 434
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post


Just as we learned how uninformed staff are at all Marriott customer service centers and its social media team, I think it’s quite obvious that this supervisor isn’t what I’d consider to be a very credible source.

I think common sense still showcases the ridiculousness of a hidden secret list of properties allowed to somehow mysteriously operate outside the terms and conditions that otherwise already specifically list a few exempted properties.
I completely agree, hence the roll-eyes in my original post
bhrubin likes this.
acf1270 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 19, 6:31 pm
  #594  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Deep In The Heart of Northeast Texas Ski Country
Programs: UA Gold
Posts: 99
Who is then?

Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post


Just as we learned how uninformed staff are at all Marriott customer service centers and its social media team, I think it’s quite obvious that this supervisor isn’t what I’d consider to be a very credible source.

I think common sense still showcases the ridiculousness of a hidden secret list of properties allowed to somehow mysteriously operate outside the terms and conditions that otherwise already specifically list a few exempted properties.
And who would you consider to be a credible source?
hotelboy is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 19, 6:44 pm
  #595  
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 7,546
Originally Posted by hotelboy View Post
And who would you consider to be a credible source?
How about the actual terms and conditions themselves? How about public statements by the head of Marriott Loyalty Flueck or CEO Sorenson? How about official responses from Marriott as shared by the various points and loyalty bloggers?

I’ll also consider information from my Ambassador to be credible. I can’t speak for all Ambassadors, but I know mine does her due diligence.

I also generally consider information from the Lurkers to be credible.

I certainly don’t trust or find credible almost anyone here on FlyerTalk with few total posts making grand pronouncements or those with unnnamed “executive” sources or other unnamed hotel staff sources—too often from unidentified hotels.

Again, consider the source. Too many sources are worthless. Too many who report information on FlyerTalk do so in such a way as to make me pretty sure they heard what they want to hear (i.e. confirmation bias) and usually aren’t credible.
bhrubin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 19, 7:05 pm
  #596  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Deep In The Heart of Northeast Texas Ski Country
Programs: UA Gold
Posts: 99
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post

How about the actual terms and conditions themselves? How about public statements by the head of Marriott Loyalty Flueck or CEO Sorenson? How about official responses from Marriott as shared by the various points and loyalty bloggers?

I’ll also consider information from my Ambassador to be credible. I can’t speak for all Ambassadors, but I know mine does her due diligence.

I also generally consider information from the Lurkers to be credible.

I certainly don’t trust or find credible almost anyone here on FlyerTalk with few total posts making grand pronouncements or those with unnnamed “executive” sources or other unnamed hotel staff sources—too often from unidentified hotels.

Again, consider the source. Too many sources are worthless. Too many who report information on FlyerTalk do so in such a way as to make me pretty sure they heard what they want to hear (i.e. confirmation bias) and usually aren’t credible.
I would not hold your breath for a statement from "my good pal" Arne or anyone else. Remember who Marriott's actual customers are...the hotel owners, franchieeses, and third party management companies. After all loyalty programs are an occupational hazard to theses guys and most if not all of my colleagues.
hotelboy is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 19, 7:25 pm
  #597  
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Southern California, USA
Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Posts: 7,546
Originally Posted by hotelboy View Post
I would not hold your breath for a statement from "my good pal" Arne or anyone else. Remember who Marriott's actual customers are...the hotel owners, franchieeses, and third party management companies. After all loyalty programs are an occupational hazard to theses guys and most if not all of my colleagues.
We couldn't disagree more. Marriott's customers are both the guests who stay in its hotels and its hotel owners that pay its management fees. Both are essential.

CEO Sorenson makes public statements in each quarterly earnings call. So do other Marriott executives.

Loyalty programs are a profit center for a company like Marriott, and its program--like all loyalty programs--is designed to best reward those who profit Marriott the most. Marriott has screwed the pooch with its IT integration, but I prefer to believe that its customer service woes will come back into line once the IT allows them to do so. In the meantime, my Ambassador has largely allowed me to avoid the IT fiasco. That same IT fiasco also allows many of us to score incredible deals at some of the most aspirational 5 star luxury hotels in the world, so I'd say it hasn't been quite the debacle for me. It's been quite the boon for me, actually.
bhrubin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 19, 8:08 pm
  #598  
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 52
Originally Posted by bhrubin View Post


Just as we learned how uninformed staff are at all Marriott customer service centers and its social media team, I think it’s quite obvious that this supervisor isn’t what I’d consider to be a very credible source.

I think common sense still showcases the ridiculousness of a hidden secret list of properties allowed to somehow mysteriously operate outside the terms and conditions that otherwise already specifically list a few exempted properties.
The terms and conditions don't specifically list any exempted properties (w.r.t. SNAs) - only exempted brands. The fact remains that some properties from otherwise participating brands do not participate in the program, as the T&C's quite clearly state may be:

Not all Participating Properties participate in Suite Night Awards.
There is nothing nefarious or uncertain going on here - the program is behaving exactly as described. The St. Regis Bora Bora is one example I provided earlier. The "list" of non-participating properties has always been unpublished, as far as I know. My personal opinion is that it isn't so much a secret as much as simply not enumerated on any actual list anywhere for someone to provide to us.
bhrubin likes this.
darnold is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 19, 2:37 pm
  #599  
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 28
Dumb question: If I use an SNA on an existing reservation, is the suite list that is generated based on what is available for my party or just a list of all suites in the hotel?

As an example, I'm looking to use an SNA for a stay at the US Grant, San Diego in August. I've booked for two adults and two children but the SNA shows me suites with "maximum occupancy: 2 with 1 king bed but 1 rollaway bed permitted". I'm unsure whether most of these suites are viable for a party of 4.
RichH6109 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 19, 3:26 pm
  #600  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: MSP
Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Silver, Hertz 5*
Posts: 607
Originally Posted by crazyhorse View Post
Thanks for the perspective and glad that it worked out for you and an extra 50K points too. It’s just that this has been the first decent vacation for the family after a long year so I don’t want to spend it fighting with the front desk.

The SNAs don’t expire until 12/2019 so I could certainly use them again on a future trip if I get them back. No ambassador for me so I guess the best person to push this with would be Marriott’s customer care? The last time I called for something I think I was on hold for over an hour so definitely not looking forward to the call.

I’ll make the call when I get back to the US.
Update: After voicing my displeasure with the Hotel Manager at the time of checkout, she sent an email to the SNA desk and forwarded that email to me. Simultaneously I sent a note through the customer care page on the website. About 2 weeks later, the SNAs were returned to my account. However given this experience and the reports posted by others in this thread, I am going to get the free night as the 75 night benefit (once the link is enabled). Now that it was confirmed that the free night would be valid till 12/31/2020, I think that is a much more definite value versus playing this stupid upgrade roulette.

On a different note - If the reservation is made in the name of one spouse and the other spouse has the SNAs, can they be applied if we are travelling together? Has anyone tried that?
crazyhorse is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread