Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Costa Rica – Reserva Conchal [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 11, 2019, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hockeyinsider
The W shares management with the nearby Westin. The guest relations manager for both properties is Yasil Alvarado <[email protected]>
Print Wikipost

W Costa Rica – Reserva Conchal [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2018, 5:27 pm

Programs: S7 Gold (OW Sapphire), TAP Gold (* Gold), IHG Spire, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist
Considering this as potential option for honeymoon

Originally Posted by CLEguy
The hotel website has pictures now.

I've got 5 nights here in January. Very happy it opened up on schedule, and looking forward to early reports.
Would love to hear your thoughts after your stay in January.

Looking at this property as the potential for final week of our honeymoon in September (after Tortuguero & La Fortuna) Not sure if it's possible to book with Virtuoso benefits...

Quite tempted to sign up for Marriott Platinum challenge and have a week here which would take care of half of the required nights pretty much
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:30 am

has anyone attempted to use SNAs at this property?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by yerffej201
has anyone attempted to use SNAs at this property?
Yes. I cleared five into the Sunset Tree House 1BR Suite. Beautiful property, kinks to work out. Details to come.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:55 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I hope this is not bad advice, but personally if a hotel is brand new and is still ramping up to attract new clientele, that is not the ideal scenario to use SNAs and I suspect odds are higher than normal that I would get a suite. Unless it would be for a very very special occasion and that I absolutely want to maximize my chances, but in that case I would just pay for a suite if it was so important.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:12 pm

What's the easiest way to get to this hotel if I fly into San Jose? Fly to a closer airport and take a transfer service?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 7:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
What's the easiest way to get to this hotel if I fly into San Jose? Fly to a closer airport and take a transfer service?
Fly into LIR. The hotel offers a transfer. We rented a car, which worked out pretty well. The property is just over an hour away, and roads are paved and in good condition. No tolls along the way.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: S7 Gold (OW Sapphire), TAP Gold (* Gold), IHG Spire, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist

Fly into LIR. The hotel offers a transfer. We rented a car, which worked out pretty well. The property is just over an hour away, and roads are paved and in good condition. No tolls along the way.
It's approximately 3.5 hours by car to SJO. I've been quoted US$180-200 for a one-way private transfer to San Jose Airport. We are planning to do that as we are flying back SJO-LGW with BA in Club (arriving from La Fortuna before we stay @ W Hotel).
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:45 am

Luxury privileges or Virtuoso rate available @ W Reserva Conchal?

Does anyone know if the W Reserva Conchal is bookable on a "luxury privileges" or Virtuoso rate yet?

It's listed on the SPG Luxury Privileges site with the following amenities but not bookable yet according to Tavel agent I spoke to:
  • USD 100 Welcome Credit per room, per stay
  • Daily breakfast for two guests
  • Complimentary standard in-room internet access
  • Upgrade on arrival, early check-in and late check-out which are all subject to availability
Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:55 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Yes. I cleared five into the Sunset Tree House 1BR Suite. Beautiful property, kinks to work out. Details to come.
Would love to hear more about your recent stay. My wife and I are booked for five night at El Mangroove followed by five nights at the W mid March. The W rooms seem to be wide open so not sure it’s worth using up my SNAs if I’d get upgraded as Titanium anyway.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 7:30 am
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by ymx

Would love to hear more about your recent stay. My wife and I are booked for five night at El Mangroove followed by five nights at the W mid March. The W rooms seem to be wide open so not sure it’s worth using up my SNAs if I’d get upgraded as Titanium anyway.
+1 - considering booking here for May 2019, and would appreciate a recent FT review!

CLG
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:51 am
Original Poster

I have been remiss in posting this. So. The property itself is absolutely beautiful. The main area is set high above the beach, with a short (5-10 minute) walk or golf cart ride down to the beach.

There are two pool areas, one off the lobby and a smallar one down by the beach, Zona Azul. We much preferred the quieter Zona Azul. Both pool areas have their own F&B options, and both are good. Get the ceviche. The restaurant onsite (Latitud 10 Norte) is outstanding. Breakfast at Cocina de Mercado is an excellent spread consisting of the usuals as well as several local options.

We were upgraded via SNA to a 1 BR Treehouse Suite, which was nice enough, but found that in the mornings the sun poured in through a frosted window in the bathroom, which precluded sleeping in. Air conditioning aficionados, should any exist in this forum, will note that it is impossible to lower the temp below 21 or 22 Celsius within the room. A maintenance guy came, shrugged, and left.

Readers will note that I have mostly spoken to hard product here. Service is...work in progress would be generous. Huge fails in valet, check-in, housekeeping, various food/beverage areas. It's clear that systems here are just not in place (at least as of mid-January). With the exception of the dinner at Latitud 10 Norte we did not have a consistently positive service interaction. Our interactions were definitely well-intentioned, but just messy and poorly executed. I will commend the property for its service recovery, but candidly I'd have preferred it if we just didn't have the issues we did.

If things improve we might consider a return. As context we had stayed at Solaz, another new property, a few weeks prior to our stay here, and I will once again hammer home how excellent and polished it was from end to end in stark contrast to what we found at the W.
CLG and escape4 like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:25 pm
CLG

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Avis President's Circle
Thanks for the update CLEguy. By chance, have you (or others viewing) stayed at either the Andaz or Four Seasons there in Costa Rica? Those seem like the only other two ‘comparable’ nearby options (though the room rate spread is double between them). Service failures are not something I’m interested in dealing with when I’m paying out of pocket for a suite...

CLG
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CLG
Thanks for the update CLEguy. By chance, have you (or others viewing) stayed at either the Andaz or Four Seasons there in Costa Rica? Those seem like the only other two ‘comparable’ nearby options (though the room rate spread is double between them). Service failures are not something I’m interested in dealing with when I’m paying out of pocket for a suite...

CLG
No, sorry, it was our first time in country. We did love the area, so one of those may better suit your needs. Maybe the Hyatt or Luxury Hotels forums could be of some help?
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by CLG

CLG
The Four Seasons in Costa Rica is a completely different price point than either the Andaz or the W. Not sure you are comparing apples to apples there.

Regards
Old Mar 21, 2019, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Breakfast at Cocina de Mercado is an excellent spread consisting of the usuals as well as several local options.
Was the elite breakfast offering or was it included in your rate? Please post & I'll update the exec lounge sticky.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.