Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Points earning at restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 7:56 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
nice

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
It should count as "incidentals" so you'd get 10x plus elite along with the room rate; this took effect last August.
​​​​​​

Marriott is continuing the former Starwood practice of non-guest dining credit at former SPG brands ONLY​​! If you have a tab at one of those property's bar/restaurant greater than USD $10, and are not a registered guest, you are entitled to 10x BONVOY points plus elite.

You may also be entitled to a discount on the bill - ask the server (manager).
that is great news. well ok, I had a bill at a ritz in tokyo which I hoped to get credited, but ok than I am out of luck
Old Feb 19, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Bonvoy LT Ti; National EE; WDW Passholder
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
you are entitled to 10x BONVOY points plus elite.
Slight correction. Since 8/18, you don't earn an elite bonus on non-stay dining.

From Loyalty Program Terms & Conditions:
Elite bonus Points will not be awarded on charges incurred by the Member without a stay in a guest room under Section 2.1.b(ii).
Cheers,
LBBZman
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:06 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by lbbzman
Slight correction. Since 8/18, you don't earn an elite bonus on non-stay dining.

Cheers,
LBBZman
​​​​​​​Of course YMMV ---

Originally Posted by YYJMSP
Last restaurant we ate at without a stay was a Westin in Canada back in late Sep or early Oct. Gave them my Marriott card, they filled out the little SPG form, and 17.5x points eventually posted on the amount before tax/tip converted to USD.
lbbzman likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:19 pm
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by lbbzman

Cheers,
LBBZman
When it comes to earning for dining only, the terms and conditions state:

2.1.b.ii.C > "Earning at restaurants without a stay is offered at all Participating Properties and Brands, except for Marriott Executive Apartments and ExecuStay, in Asia, Australia, and the Pacific Islands. It is also offered at the following Participating Properties and Brands in United States, Canada, Europe, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, Middle East, and Africa: St. Regis, The Luxury Collection, W, Sheraton, Le Méridien, Westin, Tribute Portfolio, Four Points, Aloft Hotels, and Element;..."

So, my personal understanding is that you can earn for dining only at all participating properties and brands in the AP region, but it is restricted to only legacy SPG participating properties and brands (minus Design Hotels) elsewhere. However, no elite bonus points are given for these types of transactions per the reference you provided.
lbbzman likes this.

Last edited by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker; Feb 19, 2019 at 2:31 pm Reason: add reference and clarity
Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
NVM, "gift horses" and all that
Old Feb 19, 2019, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: Anything with sweet spots
Good luck getting someone who can figure out how to credit the points at the restaurants.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Since these are former SPG properties, most of the staff except the rather new hires are already used to dealing with this situation.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 3:10 am

Programs: Marriott, Virgin Atlantic, BA
I'd be interested to learn what makes a property 'Participating' or not.

I had my annual dinner at the JW Marriott in Hong Kong - would have been a nice, hefty bill. Unfortunately, they don't participate. No explanation given.

Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker
When it comes to earning for dining only, the terms and conditions state:

2.1.b.ii.C > "Earning at restaurants without a stay is offered at all Participating Properties and Brands, except for Marriott Executive Apartments and ExecuStay, in Asia, Australia, and the Pacific Islands. It is also offered at the following Participating Properties and Brands in United States, Canada, Europe, Caribbean, Mexico, Central America, South America, Middle East, and Africa: St. Regis, The Luxury Collection, W, Sheraton, Le Méridien, Westin, Tribute Portfolio, Four Points, Aloft Hotels, and Element;..."

So, my personal understanding is that you can earn for dining only at all participating properties and brands in the AP region, but it is restricted to only legacy SPG participating properties and brands (minus Design Hotels) elsewhere. However, no elite bonus points are given for these types of transactions per the reference you provided.
Thanks for the clarification - good to know
Old Feb 20, 2019, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Flapster
I'd be interested to learn what makes a property 'Participating' or not.
My understanding is that "Participating property" means the hotel/resort participates in Marriott Bonvoy.

I had my annual dinner at the JW Marriott in Hong Kong - would have been a nice, hefty bill. Unfortunately, they don't participate. No explanation given.
Does this passage from the terms and conditions describe this dinner?

"Charges incurred by the Member, without a stay in a guest room, for food and beverage (excluding alcoholic beverage where prohibited by law) at restaurants located within or adjacent to Participating Properties that offer this benefit if...the food and beverages are not in connection with a banquet, meeting or other function that is excluded from Qualifying Charges as provided in Section 2.1.b."

Section 2.1.b reads:

"Qualifying charges are...Food and beverages (excluding alcoholic beverages where prohibited by law) and may exclude charges incurred at outlets that are not managed or operated by the Participating Property..."

So, there is also the element of was the outlet managed or operated by the JW Marriott in Hong Kong?

You might want to submit the receipt to [email protected] if you feel it is eligible.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:09 am

My understanding is that "Participating property" means the hotel/resort participates in Marriott Bonvoy.
No, I don't think that's right, I just think the property doesn't participate in this benefit. Indeed, they don't show up on this site: https://marriottbonvoyasia.com/R+B
Old Feb 21, 2019, 9:42 am

No, I don't think that's right, I just think the property doesn't participate in this benefit. Indeed, they don't show up on this site: https://marriottbonvoyasia.com/R+B
I think we might be speaking of two different things here. There is a dining discount program that not every Marriott Bonvoy participating property in AP is part of. However, that doesn't prevent them from participating in giving points for dining only charges. Unless, of course, the hotel doesn't manage or operate the venue or the transaction was in connection with a banquet, meeting or other function that is excluded from Qualifying Charges.

Last edited by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker; Feb 21, 2019 at 11:57 am Reason: add clarity
Old Feb 22, 2019, 2:03 am

I think we might be speaking of two different things here. There is a dining discount program that not every Marriott Bonvoy participating property in AP is part of. However, that doesn't prevent them from participating in giving points for dining only charges. Unless, of course, the hotel doesn't manage or operate the venue or the transaction was in connection with a banquet, meeting or other function that is excluded from Qualifying Charges.
Ok, understood, but I still think some hotels choose not to participate for whatever reason:

1. I specifically asked the hotel, and they simply said they do not participate
2. According to the website, if you click on 'Earn on Dining, Explore Now', you can then search Hong Kong, and the JW Marriott just doesn't appear.

So it seems that some hotels, even in Asia can exclude themselves from this benefit
Old Feb 22, 2019, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Ok, understood, but I still think some hotels choose not to participate for whatever reason:

1. I specifically asked the hotel, and they simply said they do not participate
2. According to the website, if you click on 'Earn on Dining, Explore Now', you can then search Hong Kong, and the JW Marriott just doesn't appear.

So it seems that some hotels, even in Asia can exclude themselves from this benefit
Keep in mind some will say No when they really mean, I don't want to do the work to find out. I've rarely used this benefit, but each time I have a manager had to get involved. I can understand a server not knowing all the program details (just like many FDCs not knowing), but it seems if you approach a manager with confidence you know the rules they will go the extra mile to figure it out.
controller1 likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 11:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Keep in mind some will say No when they really mean, I don't want to do the work to find out. I've rarely used this benefit, but each time I have a manager had to get involved. I can understand a server not knowing all the program details (just like many FDCs not knowing), but it seems if you approach a manager with confidence you know the rules they will go the extra mile to figure it out.
Same here. I've only used this benefit three times but each time the server had no idea of what I was speaking and I had to get a manager involved.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
At my local Sheraton, the restaurant staff have no responsibility at all regarding points credit. One takes the receipt to the checkin desk for processing. At the local W, the food staff have taken care of it as part of settling the bill. At one Westin, the bartender replied he had done it often for the same regular, while at a Westin in a different city, the staff were unaware the possibility of non-guest credit was possible. They had me write my member# on their copy of the cc receipt and they'd "look into" it; I had to submit my copy later to Research for credit.

Your Mileage May Vary ... wildly!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.