Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Moxy NYC Downtown - New York City [Master Thread]

Moxy NYC Downtown - New York City [Master Thread]

Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:05 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by stvr
Marriott divides its brands into "luxury," "premium," and "select." While club lounges are common in the top two tiers, exceedingly rare is the property in the "select" category with a club lounge. (Maybe some Courtyards and Four Points in Asia. Other than that, never.)
You don't see many lounges in "Luxury" either, interestingly.

What Moxy does have instead of a lounge is reasonably priced "help yourself" type food which can be microwaved (soups, sandwiches, noodles, etc.) as well as a home-made style "pot luck" dish of the day.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Anyone stayed here lately? Was looking at staying here in the beginning of March.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
Anyone stayed here lately? Was looking at staying here in the beginning of March.
stayed here in november....let me know if you have any questions....
Old Feb 20, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp
Originally Posted by Keyser
stayed here in november....let me know if you have any questions....
How was your stay? I'm deciding between this property and the Residence Inn Downtown/WTC.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by saltytheseagull
How was your stay? I'm deciding between this property and the Residence Inn Downtown/WTC.
pretty uneventful but decent stay....i was here for one night since my client's office was right next door....location is great if you need to be in downtown....lots of shops & eating options nearby....a bunch of subway stations, all within walking distance....the oculus is less than a 5 minute walk from the hotel....

the room was tiny but i didn't expect much given that this is a moxy in nyc....you get a token for a free drink at the bar....the menu at the hotel has been created by a cousin of mine so while i may be biased, the food was really good....

the atmosphere in the hotel is pretty lively & the lobby area turns into a bar at night with a dj playing some good tunes (i think the dj is only there a few days a week)....

i typically stay at either the four points or the millennium hilton when i need to be in this area but if the price is right then i wouldn't hesitate to stay at the moxy downtown again....
Old Feb 21, 2019, 1:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Keyser
i typically stay at either the four points or the millennium hilton when i need to be in this area but if the price is right then i wouldn't hesitate to stay at the moxy downtown again....
So you are saying u prefer moxy to the millenium hilton? any things to point too? this is our choice and trying to decide for a weekend stay.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by shiframeir
So you are saying u prefer moxy to the millenium hilton? any things to point too? this is our choice and trying to decide for a weekend stay.
not at all....the millennium hilton is a better hotel & i would pick that over the moxy pretty much every time if all things were equal....

but the last time i was in nyc during freezing temperatures & my client's office was less than a minute away from the moxy as compared to a 5-7 minute walk from the hilton....so i picked the moxy....

also, it depends on whether you are looking for marriott or hilton credit....the moxy would also be often cheaper than the hilton....so i guess all these factors come into consideration....
Old Feb 24, 2019, 8:39 am

How does this property compare to the Moxy in midtown? I've found that some Moxys are more ... spartan than others.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 2:19 pm

Just stayed at this Moxy over the weekend. Location was great, close to the World Trade Center and awesome restaurants in West Village. The 3rd floor lobby is pretty cool, with a lot of locals working over a cup of coffee during the day and people having a drink at the bar and playing the games (shuffleboard and skeeball) at night. The room itself was small, but that was expected for NYC. I liked the little touches around the room (buttons to open/close shade, different light strength, USB charger ports). We also had a great view of the Brooklyn Bridge. I liked the style of the bathroom and it was very practical.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WillBarrett_68
How does this property compare to the Moxy in midtown? I've found that some Moxys are more ... spartan than others.
there are lots of similarities between the two....room sizes are small in both but the midtown property has more room types & some funky settings....i found the downtown property to be more lively but liked the rooftop bar at the midtown property....

the location for both properties is great but the midtown property is more touristy....its far enough from times square so that you are not surrounded by a zoo of people but close enough to get the feel of the area....
WillBarrett_68 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 8:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by timbolam
Just stayed at this Moxy over the weekend. Location was great, close to the World Trade Center and awesome restaurants in West Village. The 3rd floor lobby is pretty cool, with a lot of locals working over a cup of coffee during the day and people having a drink at the bar and playing the games (shuffleboard and skeeball) at night. The room itself was small, but that was expected for NYC. I liked the little touches around the room (buttons to open/close shade, different light strength, USB charger ports). We also had a great view of the Brooklyn Bridge. I liked the style of the bathroom and it was very practical.
Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:11 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Spent one night burning off a soon to expire cat 1-4 certificate. Did not go in with very high expectations, but ended up rather liking the hotel. Thought the Moxy bar/living room/game area was pleasant (not an annoying hip scene). The hotel had issues creating room keys, so had to wait a while... but they comped some drinks... so enjoyed the wait. Had room 704 which had no view to speak of (bit disappointing as a Platinum guest), but it was at the end of the hall, so was a little larger. Room still small, but pleasant design with a few high end touches. Certainly not a Ritz-Carlton bed, but still reasonabley comfortable. Pretty nice bathroom with decent toiletries and towels, but poor shower pressure

Only problem with with the room was poor sound insulation. Room doors all click shut loudly and you will hear your neighbors coming and going. Exterior windows also did not seem very good... there was constant construction noise Late into the Night. Did not have a problem hearing neighbors through walls, but with TV and B&O speakers mounted directly on the wall would not be surprised if this is a problem with some rooms or neighbors.

I think I would consider returning here in the future... the poor sound insulation does give me pause however.

Last edited by schriste; Jan 29, 2020 at 1:52 pm
Old Nov 25, 2021, 6:19 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Marriott/Ritz-Carlton Platinum Elite, Accor Platinum, AC SE, MPC SL
Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone knows what are the free perks for Titanium here?
Thank you.
Old Nov 26, 2021, 1:58 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
I stayed here beginning of Nov before the party and it was fine except for the fact that when I first checked in I managed to wind up in a room that had not had it's window shade installed. I was told they'd call me to place me in a different room and after an hour plus and a few disappointing tries on the phone (hold, no answer x 3) I had to march down and crankily demand the new room in person (they told me they thought I was going to come down, which was not what had been previously communicated at all)
bar also was not in operation at that point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.