Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Moxy NYC Downtown - New York City [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Cat 4. Opening August '18. Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...-nyc-downtown/

"Located in the heart of Lower Manhattan, Moxy Downtown is a stunning new 30 story hotel at the epicenter of New York’s reinvented “Financial District”, located just off Broadway on Ann Street. Our glowing LED wall will serve as a beacon guiding you to your virtual check-in and third floor play space. Designed for the young-at-heart, come hang out and work all day and party all night at our sprawling 5,000 sq. ft. bar and lounge space, complete with a local coffee program, playful cocktails and food, old school arcade games, dj and a basketball court! Our 298 high tech guest rooms, feature stunning city views of Manhattan and Brooklyn, 50-inch TVs, surround sound, and automated lighting, temperature and shade control. When you’re ready to hit the town, step outside and immerse yourself in the neighborhood."

Last edited by SkiAdcock; Jan 28, 2019 at 11:27 am
Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:28 am

Hi - I have a reservation here for mid-October, but I notice that the hotel is no longer taking reservations for the dates of my stay (I think the opening has been pushed back). Does anyone know what Marriott's usual policy is when a guest has a reservation but the hotel hasn't opened yet?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hearingdouble
Hi - I have a reservation here for mid-October, but I notice that the hotel is no longer taking reservations for the dates of my stay (I think the opening has been pushed back). Does anyone know what Marriott's usual policy is when a guest has a reservation but the hotel hasn't opened yet?
Technically they should reach out to you to help you find accommodations elsewhere. Don't rely on that. Some properties are great about it/others total fail. Unfortunately it's up to you to be in charge of it. Contact the property or Marriott CS & get them to book you elsewhere - first things first, get them to get you another (MAR) hotel. Then tell them you want them to honor the Moxy rate as it's not your fault Moxy got pushed back. Tell them Moxy can pay for the difference. Good luck!

Cheers.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 2:01 am

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Technically they should reach out to you to help you find accommodations elsewhere. Don't rely on that. Some properties are great about it/others total fail. Unfortunately it's up to you to be in charge of it. Contact the property or Marriott CS & get them to book you elsewhere - first things first, get them to get you another (MAR) hotel. Then tell them you want them to honor the Moxy rate as it's not your fault Moxy got pushed back. Tell them Moxy can pay for the difference. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice! The slight complication (and the reason why I would prefer to wait for Marriott to raise the issue, rather than me) is that this is a points stay, using a 7-night Cat1-4 certificate. I chose the Moxy as it's the only Cat4 in NYC that isn't a Residence Inn/Courtyard style family hotel. If I contact Marriott for a substitute, do you think there's any chance they would substitute for an alternative Moxy or AC Hotel (which are all Cat 5 in NYC), or will they insist on switching to another Cat4 hotel?
Old Sep 22, 2018, 4:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Thanks for the advice! The slight complication (and the reason why I would prefer to wait for Marriott to raise the issue, rather than me) is that this is a points stay, using a 7-night Cat1-4 certificate. I chose the Moxy as it's the only Cat4 in NYC that isn't a Residence Inn/Courtyard style family hotel. If I contact Marriott for a substitute, do you think there's any chance they would substitute for an alternative Moxy or AC Hotel (which are all Cat 5 in NYC), or will they insist on switching to another Cat4 hotel?
the four points downtown is another option for a cat 4 property that isn't a family style hotel....
Old Sep 23, 2018, 1:23 pm

That's a good suggestion, although there's been trouble to date applying Marriott certificates to ex-SPG hotels. Still not sure whether to contact pro-actively or to wait...!
Old Sep 24, 2018, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
That's a good suggestion, although there's been trouble to date applying Marriott certificates to ex-SPG hotels. Still not sure whether to contact pro-actively or to wait...!
i would wait till about a week before my reservation & if you haven't heard from them by that point then i would call them to see where they could shift you....
Old Sep 24, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: AA CK / Marriott Worthless Ambassador
Bookkng

i have a booking first week of October.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Anyone go to the big opening party?

Moxy Nyc Downtown Celebrates Opening With Wild Coming Out Party Paying Homage To Downtown?s Forgotten Glam Rock History | Marriott News Center

"Moxy NYC Downtown, located at 26 Ann Street, the latest hotel from Marriott International’s playful, experiential brand Moxy and developer Mark Gordon and Tribeca Associates, celebrated its highly anticipated opening on Wednesday, November 28 with an epic retro party. The night brought together rock royalty host Miles Richie along with names including Slick Woods, The Blonds, Jae Joseph, Ryan Burke, Brett David, Jonte’ Moaning, Crystal Annrod, Alexa Luria, Pierce Cady and Gregory DelliCarpini to introduce guests to Lower Manhattan’s hottest new hotel, which embodies Moxy’s brand ethos of playfulness, spirit and style. DJ sets by Zuri Marley, Ian Mellencamp, Alix Brown and Odalys kept partygoers dancing all night long.

“At a time of exciting change and revitalization in the Financial District, we wanted to celebrate by looking back to the grunge and glamor of Downtown New York of the 70s and 80s, playing homage to the legendary downtown nightclubs and restaurants where the likes of Andy Warhol, Patti Smith and David Bowie went to hang out. It felt like the perfect way to invite the Downtown community of today in to play,” said Toni Stoeckl, Global Brand Leader, Moxy Hotels; and Vice President, Distinctive Select Brands for Marriott International. “The debut of the second Moxy Hotel in NYC gave people a taste of the grit, sexiness and glam of Downtown NY’s 70s and 80s party scene…not to mention the opportunity to get a little ‘rec’ed’ in our modern yet nostalgic space, Recreation.”
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Anyone go to the big opening party?

Moxy Nyc Downtown Celebrates Opening With Wild Coming Out Party Paying Homage To Downtown?s Forgotten Glam Rock History Marriott News Center

"Moxy NYC Downtown, located at 26 Ann Street, the latest hotel from Marriott International’s playful, experiential brand Moxy and developer Mark Gordon and Tribeca Associates, celebrated its highly anticipated opening on Wednesday, November 28 with an epic retro party. The night brought together rock royalty host Miles Richie along with names including Slick Woods, The Blonds, Jae Joseph, Ryan Burke, Brett David, Jonte’ Moaning, Crystal Annrod, Alexa Luria, Pierce Cady and Gregory DelliCarpini to introduce guests to Lower Manhattan’s hottest new hotel, which embodies Moxy’s brand ethos of playfulness, spirit and style. DJ sets by Zuri Marley, Ian Mellencamp, Alix Brown and Odalys kept partygoers dancing all night long.

“At a time of exciting change and revitalization in the Financial District, we wanted to celebrate by looking back to the grunge and glamor of Downtown New York of the 70s and 80s, playing homage to the legendary downtown nightclubs and restaurants where the likes of Andy Warhol, Patti Smith and David Bowie went to hang out. It felt like the perfect way to invite the Downtown community of today in to play,” said Toni Stoeckl, Global Brand Leader, Moxy Hotels; and Vice President, Distinctive Select Brands for Marriott International. “The debut of the second Moxy Hotel in NYC gave people a taste of the grit, sexiness and glam of Downtown NY’s 70s and 80s party scene…not to mention the opportunity to get a little ‘rec’ed’ in our modern yet nostalgic space, Recreation.”
What happens if the experiment doesn't work? Is there any data the Moxy brand is working?
Old Nov 29, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Anyone go to the big opening party?.
I went and it was a LOT of fun. Different to the Times Square Moxy.

As an SPG loyalist, i am really excited to see Marriott branching out into a fun brand like Moxy. It's not as boring as Aloft, nor as intense as W... but something in between. It can be quirky (the meeting room here is a high school basketball court) - but it can also be very comfortable.

I have to say, the rooms are small, but very nicely decorated.

Here's some pics from the lively party:

The meeting room basketball court

Old Nov 29, 2018, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Looks like it was a fun party!

Cheers.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 6:53 pm

Moxy downtown NY

does Moxy downtown have a lounge? I’m platinum and like to use hotels with lounge for breakfast, evening drinks snacks

Anyone know how to determine if hotel has a lounge? Info doesn’t usually appear on wwbsites
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jerseygirl
does Moxy downtown have a lounge? I’m platinum and like to use hotels with lounge for breakfast, evening drinks snacks

Anyone know how to determine if hotel has a lounge? Info doesn’t usually appear on wwbsites
i don't believe they have a lounge....there was no mention of one when i stayed here a few months ago & i don't remember seeing one....
Old Feb 14, 2019, 1:16 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Marriott divides its brands into "luxury," "premium," and "select." While club lounges are common in the top two tiers, exceedingly rare is the property in the "select" category with a club lounge. (Maybe some Courtyards and Four Points in Asia. Other than that, never.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.