Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AC Hotel Sunnyvale Cupertino, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 2:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium

Opening Sept '18. Cat 6. Hotel website:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ale-cupertino/

"Located in the heart of Silicon Valley, the AC Hotel Sunnyvale Cupertino offers a refreshingly elegant and thoughtful experience for the modern business traveler. Easily accessible to nearby towns including Cupertino, Sunnyvale, Mountain View and San Jose, yet tucked away from the daily hustle and bustle, the property is a sophisticated oasis for locals and business travelers alike. The property combines AC Hotel’s Spanish roots and European soul with the authentic, local vibe of Sunnyvale and its surrounding neighborhoods. The stylish bar within the AC Lounge provides an opportunity for guests to relax, unwind and bond with a refined selection of tapas-style small bites. Designated as a LEED Silver Certified hotel, the property features 182 guest rooms and suites distributed over 5 floors and includes 2,454 square feet of intimate, creative meeting space. Guests will enjoy onsite, underground parking and a sophisticated patio experience with an outdoor fireplace, ping pong table, and lounge seating."
Old Nov 7, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Sigh. Have watched this move from Sept -> Oct -> Nov -> Dec. Have been at the Sheraton / Aloft ever since. When will this actually open up?
Old Jan 28, 2019, 11:19 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Any updates on this property? I have an upcoming stay, would love to get a FTer's perspective.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 10:44 am

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Mehh.

AC Hotel Sunnyvale by Marriott

Map| 3 Reviews | 67% Recommended

597 E El Camino Real Sunnyvale, CA US 94087

Mehh. (0 Photo)

I stayed two nights midweek and it was adequate, but no way would I return unless it was the only affordable place around (which is distinctly possible given the crazy prices round here).

The header says I liked all the sections below, but that is because I can find no way to change that from liked to neutral or disliked.

Check-in neutral

Room - disliked

Service - neutral

Dining - n/a

Location - disliked

Overall - disliked

Check In

Was easy - three people behind the desk and no other guests around. No mention of Platinum welcome gift. And simply told that breakfast was $16 and there was no platinum benefit there (no mention of a $10 F&B credit).

No mention of parking rules – I got the impression that if I hadn't said that I had a car then they wouldn't have charged me and nothing would have happened.

Generaly a brusque unwelcoming check-in experience.

Room

The room (King Suite - upgraded) was large and bare (cold). The AC advertising on the TV says they create intimate and comfortable experiences, but there is nothing intimate or comfortable about this room.

Floor to ceiling windows (which looked straight down El Camino Real and were very public, even on the 4th floor) did give plenty of daylight. But after dark the room feels like a bad cave - 3-4 tiny very-directional LED lights gave  an occasional spotlight but the contrast between the spots where there was light and where there wasn't made my head hurt. My laptop screen was the brightest light source in the room (TV aside) which made working difficult.

Working was also difficult because the desk is only about 12" deep.

The bed was comfortable. The bathroom was a disbled access style - plenty of rails and a drop down wooden seat in the shower, with plenty of room – wet room style with a drain in the middle of the bathrrom as well as the shower space (and no threshold between them).

The fridge was a small drawer with two bottles of water in it.

The suite part had a large leather L-shaped couch, but it wasn't something you could really relax on, and neither did it work for laptop usage.

Service

Was invisible. The place felt completely empty. When I went to the bar there were three people serving, but I was the only one on the lobby-side of the bar.

Dining

I avoided breakfast - it did not look like it could possibly be worth $16.

I saw no evidence of bar meals or evening food – they must have some, but there was no evidence or anything to invite you in. [Well there is no 'in' as the hotel only a lobby and nothing else.]

There is not much around here (CVS, Safeway, Black Bear Diner, ...) though it is easy to get to and away from, and to find.

Overall

Absolutely nothing special and very stark, modern.

The rooms are not at al comfortable to be in the evening and getting work done is very uncomfortable indeed.

Mehh.

Would you like to write a review on the AC Hotel Sunnyvale by Marriott?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Apr 3, 2019, 11:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report. Much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
The stark rooms are typically AC; however, there is usually a mini-refrigerator with water and glasses. That lack of amenity is really bad, as the $10 f&b is for ALL properties! They didn't get to "opt out" on it. AC breakfast is actually decent @ $15, so the $5 net price is a good deal.

​​​​
Old Apr 3, 2019, 3:47 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I live near this hotel. There are actually several restaurants within easy walking distance (.5 mile) including an In-n-Out across the intersection. I'm not an I'n'O fan myself but given how many people I know who'll go an hour out of their way for one it's got to be worth something that this one's 2 minutes away.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 6:54 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I live near this hotel. There are actually several restaurants within easy walking distance (.5 mile) including an In-n-Out across the intersection. I'm not an I'n'O fan myself but given how many people I know who'll go an hour out of their way for one it's got to be worth something that this one's 2 minutes away.
I know, and there's a Five Guys in walking distance, but that isn't that healthy really
Old Oct 2, 2019, 11:28 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Great Hotel

Map| 3 Reviews | 67% Recommended

597 E El Camino Real Sunnyvale, CA US 94087

Great Hotel (0 Photo)

Overall, this is a great hotel in my opinion. Its brand new, rooms, fixtures and everything is really nice.  Location is great for a quick commute to sunnyvale offices, but not much nearby.

Rates at this hotel are often crazy, but if you can find it at a decent rate, highly reccomend!

Check In

Used Mobile check in, when getting to the hotel, no issues with a very quick check in.

Room

I found the room to be very modern. Hotel is brand new.

Only downside is not much nearby.

Great Hotel

Would you like to write a review on the AC Hotel Sunnyvale by Marriott?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 9, 2021, 2:18 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Marriott Bonvoy LTE
Quick update on this hotel - I've stayed here multiple times now.

Mobile check-in with mobile key requested, but no mobile key provided. Had to check-in in person and received a physical key card. They also seem to be fixing minor things here and there in the hallways every time I've stayed here - there is always a contractor in the hallway doing some work.

They've installed shampoo/conditioner/body wash dispensers in the shower. These aren't the refillable dispensers - the entire bottle gets replaced when you run out, and the bottle isn't easy to open if the bottle has been properly attached to the holder. No issues asking for more toiletries if you run out - they left the full 300ml bottles outside the door as per COVID-19 protocol, and did not come into the room to replace them.

I didn't really care at check-in time since my flights were delayed and I just wanted to sleep, but they did upgrade me to a corner room on the 2nd floor. Later on during my stay, it looked like a high school group was also assigned to the 2nd floor which increased the amount of noise / running in the hallway. Would have been nice to be kept on a floor away from the group, especially as an elite member.

What really bothered me though were the COVID-19 protocols - they list them out at check-in - housekeeping must be requested in advance, masks must be worn indoors as per Marriott and city policy, etc. and make sure you agree to them... yet there was no enforcement. Adults and teens without masks walking around the hallways and the lobby and interacting with staff, with no staff member enforcing the mask mandate. Don't want to turn this into a debate - just an observation of what the policy is as stated and how it is being handled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.