FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Hotel Lone, Rovinj, Croatia, Design Hotel [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1918403-hotel-lone-rovinj-croatia-design-hotel-master-thread.html)

SanDiego1K Jul 5, 2018 5:20 pm

Hotel Lone, Rovinj, Croatia, Design Hotel [Master Thread]

Who has stayed here? What did you think? I had this hotel on my list of possible places to stay in 2019. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it is one of the Design Hotels that Starwood is marketing. However, I see that availability is only loaded thru the end of December. Is it expected to remain part of the Starwood/Marriott family in 2019?

eefor jfp Jul 6, 2018 8:27 am

Not sure exactly when you were thinking of going and I can't answer your question re. the fate of the hotel in 2019 but just be aware that most of Istra shuts down during the winter (i.e. end of October to end of March). I wouldn't recommend going there then. Split, Dubrovnik, Zadar Rijeka and Pula are OK then (i.e. less than 25% of businesses are closed). However, the smaller towns like Rovinj that are bustling during the summer season are dead in the winter with 50-75% of businesses (shops and restaurants) shut down. And the weather is pretty unpleasant (cold and windy).November to March is not a good time for sightseeing on the Croatian coast.

SanDiego1K Jul 6, 2018 8:30 am

Originally Posted by eefor jfp (Post 29944456)
Not sure exactly when you were thinking of going and I can't answer your question re. the fate of the hotel in 2019 but just be aware that most of Istra shuts down during the winter (i.e. end of October to end of March). I wouldn't recommend going there then.

Thank you for your caution. It is appreciated. Fortunately, we are looking at early summer 2019.

christianj Jul 6, 2018 8:32 am

Originally Posted by eefor jfp (Post 29944456)
And the weather is pretty unpleasant (cold and windy).November to March is not a good time for sightseeing on the Croatian coast.

I would assume that is why the rates for 2019 haven't been loaded. I would think the hotel closes seasonally.

I too was looking at this as part of a Dubrovnik, Split and possible Aman itinerary in 2019.

beachfan Jul 6, 2018 7:14 pm

Rovinj is awesome. Is this a relatively new addition? I was there in May 2016, didn't know about it.

ralfkrippner Jul 7, 2018 6:23 am

Stayed there 2016 at a time where it wasn't part of spg yet. As the price difference to a suite was not very much I booked a full suite which was on the second highest floor facing the beach. Regular rooms have partial ocean view only or none at all on lower floors backwards to the lobby.

beautiful and large suite with great balcony on the front and side so that you have sun and shade as preferred the full day.

beach is rather small and pebble, so bring a large and plush mat or towel. Pool is a few meters back with some trees providing shade.

we didn't like the disorganized breakfast buffet during a period where the hotel was fully booked. It felt like at a highschool mensa. Evening offering was limited and pricey but did not provide very good quality to qualify for fair price. I would suggest to have breakfast on your balcony and dinner in town, which is only a 20 minutes stroll along seaside away.

reserve 2-3 hours for an evening walk along seaside into the opposite direction of town. Its a nice footpath through woods always near to the rocky oceanside.

SanDiego1K Sep 2, 2018 5:03 pm

I have been checking and checking to see if this is available in 2019. To date, there is no availability from Jan 1 on. I spoke to an agent on the Starwood plat line two weeks ago. She said she would send a note to the hotel, asking them to respond directly to me. I've heard nothing. @starwoodLurker, do you have any information as to whether this will remain managed by Marriott in 2019?