Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Property Experiences during Marriott Workers Strike Fall 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
MODERATOR NOTE: THIS THREAD IS EXCLUSIVELY FOR PROPERTY-SPECIFIC EXPERIENCES
This thread is not for discussing the merits of the strike or general discussion of unions! If that is of interest you can follow that discussion in Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018
Post in this thread which discuss the merits of the strike or are otherwise off-topic will be deleted, not moved to the other thread.

Properties with employees on strike or potentially on strike appear to include:

Detroit
  • Westin Book Cadillac Detroit By Marriott
Boston
  • Aloft Boston Seaport by Marriott
  • Element Boston Seaport by Marriott
  • Ritz-Carlton Boston Common by Marriott
  • Sheraton Boston by Marriott
  • W Boston by Marriott
  • Westin Boston Waterfront by Marriott
  • Westin Copley Place, Boston by Marriott
Oakland
  • Oakland Marriott City Center by Marriott
San Diego
  • The Westin Gaslamp Quarter San Diego by Marriott
San Francisco
  • San Francisco Marriott Union Square
  • Palace Hotel by Marriott
  • W San Francisco by Marriott
  • Westin St. Francis Union Square by Marriott
  • San Francisco Marriott Marquis
  • Courtyard San Francisco Downtown by Marriott
  • St. Regis San Francisco
San Jose
  • San Jose Marriott
Various Locations in Hawaii
  • The Royal Hawaiian by Marriott
  • Sheraton Maui Hotel by Marriott
  • Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort by Marriott
  • Sheraton Princess Kaiulani by Marriott
  • Sheraton Waikiki by Marriott
Seattle
  • Westin Seattle by Marriott
Print Wikipost

Property Experiences during Marriott Workers Strike Fall 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:14 am
J S

Originally Posted by Wickersley

hmmm, I’m booked into the W for Wednesday night (points stay) - I’ll give this some thought.
The W is definitely on the list. Based on my experience, you should stay somewhere else.

Here is the full list of affected hotels: https://www.marriotttravelalert.org/at-risk-hotels/
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Here is the web site (administered by the union) with a list of hotels on the “strike list.”

https://www.marriotttravelalert.org/at-risk-hotels/

Given the wide variety of ownership structures and management contracts, not every Marriott hotel will be on the same contract cycle, and many are non-union. I wouldn’t expect Marriott to proactively rebook people out of these hotels as it would upset hotel owners. With the Marriott/Starwood merger, the union is taking the opportunity to make headlines with a coordinated strike nationwide.
​​​​​​Midway through a stay when these strikes happened. Is it unreasonable for me to ask hotel FD to be moved, at their expense, to another comparable hotel? Or am I asking for the moon here.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:32 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by pentiumvi
​​​​​​Midway through a stay when these strikes happened. Is it unreasonable for me to ask hotel FD to be moved, at their expense, to another comparable hotel? Or am I asking for the moon here.
Honestly I would guess no. In a city like Boston, all of the major Marriott managed hotels have the same issue. Also, during the week, all of these hotels are pretty full. I would guess you would have to reach out to Marriott rewards for some kind of compensation after the fact.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 2:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
It's not unreasonable to ask, but I would keep those expectations in check, as I suspect rebooking at hotel expense is not a likely result.

At a minimum, you should be allowed to cancel the remainder of your stay without charge and receive some points as comp for the nights you did stay.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
It's not unreasonable to ask, but I would keep those expectations in check, as I suspect rebooking at hotel expense is not a likely result.

At a minimum, you should be allowed to cancel the remainder of your stay without charge and receive some points as comp for the nights you did stay.
Will definitely keep my expectations in check, hence checking in on FT before approaching the FD.

Now, next question i have is, if I go the route of asking for points per night, what's something reasonable? This is a cat 5 property.

​​
I'm on a semi-personal/business stay, so rebooking myself at another property would require too many hoops to jump through.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 3:48 pm
J S

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I wouldn’t expect Marriott to proactively rebook people out of these hotels as it would upset hotel owners.
I agree that rebooking without request seems a bit much, but notifying guests in advance and offering options seems a pretty basic courtesy. Last summer a Marriott hotel proactively warned me that the pool would be closed. Surely this ranks a whole lot higher on the inconvenience scale than a closed pool.
estnet and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 4:12 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Now, next question i have is, if I go the route of asking for points per night, what's something reasonable? This is a cat 5 property.
In the past, for major service fails I've received the equivalent of what a one night stay would cost. IIRC, a member upthread reported getting 40k total for a four night stay.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
In the past, for major service fails I've received the equivalent of what a one night stay would cost. IIRC, a member upthread reported getting 40k total for a four night stay.
Thanks for the tip.

Side note, since I've effectively loss my breakfast platinum amenity due to the strike, is it reasonable to ask for some sort of compensation for this as well? I realize this is techically a "free" benefit that comes with my status, maybe a stretch?
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:01 pm

Reporting in from Waikiki Sheraton and boy is there some significant disruptions. Check-in at 4:00pm yesterday took over an hour and upon reaching the front desk we were informed that our room wasn't going to be available for an unspecified amount of time and to come back in two hours... After returning a couple of hours later I jumped the queue and the was able to get our room. I heard that a guest from Australia arrived at 9:00pm last night and they only got into their room at 10am this morning! Didn't get a great night sleep myself as the noise from the picket line kept going until at least 10pm and started again at 6am (we are on the 27th floor!) Very limited housekeeping (self-service shampoo, water etc beside the elevators) and a few of the restaurants are closed / limited hours.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, National Exec Elite, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Score8
My business partner is in another part of the hotel and is distracted. Any of the old section of the hotel on Union Square is virtually useless.
Staying on a higher floor in the old section of the Westin St. Francis, and I'd have to agree. Also, the housekeeping is subpar and it took forever to check in (not sure if the front desk workers are part of the strike; the picketers are more about banging on drums than providing information). But I did see that they seem to be hiring and training a lot of replacement workers in a conference area of the hotel. It's tough to get rooms in SF, but I'd really consider going any place else if I had a reservation for Westin St. Francis next week.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 5:16 pm

At Oakland Marriott, the strikers have been moved around the corner, away from the front entrance (which they had previously been blocking). I assume the property got a restraining order against them.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
FWIW, I was in SAN for 6 nights, no picketers anywhere in Mission Valley.
Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K

Many thanks, suspect points availability elsewhere will be a challenge, I’ll look at my options.
To follow up, the W SFO allowed me to cancel at check in, with a promise of a full refund of points.

Instead I’ve ended up at the Park Central - which is strike free (strange place, but that’s for another thread)

Old Oct 10, 2018, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I'm wondering if I should make a back up booking at the Halekulani or Kahala for my December Royal Hawaiian stay before those hotels start jacking up their rates due to this strike
I'd book the Kahala even without the strike just to be outside of Waikiki.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 9:46 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I’ve ended up at the Park Central - which is strike free (strange place, but that’s for another thread)
I do hope you'll post to the Park Central thread the details of how it's strange. It used to be a Westin, and I've heard all manner of varying reports on the hotel. I'd love to get your take (and any others).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.