Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Property Experiences during Marriott Workers Strike Fall 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
MODERATOR NOTE: THIS THREAD IS EXCLUSIVELY FOR PROPERTY-SPECIFIC EXPERIENCES
This thread is not for discussing the merits of the strike or general discussion of unions! If that is of interest you can follow that discussion in Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018
Post in this thread which discuss the merits of the strike or are otherwise off-topic will be deleted, not moved to the other thread.

Properties with employees on strike or potentially on strike appear to include:

Detroit
  • Westin Book Cadillac Detroit By Marriott
Boston
  • Aloft Boston Seaport by Marriott
  • Element Boston Seaport by Marriott
  • Ritz-Carlton Boston Common by Marriott
  • Sheraton Boston by Marriott
  • W Boston by Marriott
  • Westin Boston Waterfront by Marriott
  • Westin Copley Place, Boston by Marriott
Oakland
  • Oakland Marriott City Center by Marriott
San Diego
  • The Westin Gaslamp Quarter San Diego by Marriott
San Francisco
  • San Francisco Marriott Union Square
  • Palace Hotel by Marriott
  • W San Francisco by Marriott
  • Westin St. Francis Union Square by Marriott
  • San Francisco Marriott Marquis
  • Courtyard San Francisco Downtown by Marriott
  • St. Regis San Francisco
San Jose
  • San Jose Marriott
Various Locations in Hawaii
  • The Royal Hawaiian by Marriott
  • Sheraton Maui Hotel by Marriott
  • Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort by Marriott
  • Sheraton Princess Kaiulani by Marriott
  • Sheraton Waikiki by Marriott
Seattle
  • Westin Seattle by Marriott
Print Wikipost

Property Experiences during Marriott Workers Strike Fall 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: United, Amtrak, BonVoy, Global Entry
Am currently staying at Westin San Diego Gaslamp and the strike has been very disruptive. They started Sunday morning around 4:30 to 5:00 a.m. with bullhorns, drums, and chants and has been ongoing. No restaurant, no room service, rooms only being serviced every three days and hotel guests being harassed and accosted as they come and go. Number of strikers increased substantially Sunday afternoon and no one was really sure who was protesting and who was striking as it became about women’s rights and living wages and minority rights. Most of the other protesters have moved on and only strikers are still out front. They have garnered very little sympathy from the hotel guests at this point.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 8:16 pm

Stayed at the Westin SF during the strike this past weekend. Conditions are dire inside hotel, limited food options. Absolutely zero housekeeping and they don’t even have a cart out with fresh towels or toiletries so you have to wait in long lines at the front desk to get supplies.

The GM left a letter saying “You will participate in the Green Choice Program and received 500 points for each night.” Really? Spoke to evening front desk manager who is disrespectful when I informed him that 500 points is insufficient for the lack of services, noises, and general lack of upkeep (gym and common areas are filthy). He s said “I am done explaining, I can’t help you if you can’t understanding.” Quite a class act.

Filed a complaint with corporate Marriott and got 40,000 points deposited overnight, which I think made me whole for 4 night stay. But overall, my suggestion is to stay away. They will let you cancel your reservation if you ask (I found out the morning of check out, they don’t exactly advertise it). I pity those who don’t speak up and walk away with 500 green choice points for a hotel that still charges north of $480 a night.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Just checked in to the Palace in SF and was totally unaware that this strike was happening. The situation is atrocious: obnoxious, pushy picket line complete with drums and megaphones, sound-deadening blackout curtains strewn all about the lobby, increased security verifying hotel keys, limited food/beverage services etc. The strikers heckled me as I entered and semi-attempted to block me, making for a very pleasant arrival. I'm only here for two nights so I don't really care about the housekeeping (always do green choice anyway) but my bed was poorly made and the experience is pretty underwhelming. As others have mentioned, at $650/night 500 points is unacceptable - will be writing to corporate for some kind of compensation. I've got stays booked here 3 out of the next 4 weeks and will likely rebook if this isn't settled soon.
Old Oct 8, 2018, 11:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by anonymokus
The GM left a letter saying “You will participate in the Green Choice Program and received 500 points for each night.”
That's an interesting definition of "choice."

Hope you're going to leave a terrible TA review.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 6:20 am

My SO arrived at the Gaslight San Diego last night, totally unaware that this was happening. The extreme noise lasted until 10 PM. Leaving now. It looks to be
very widespread indeed: https://www.marriotttravelalert.org/at-risk-hotels/
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by TSparky
Try working at a tire store, one of the dirtiest jobs imaginable. I've also worked at lube and oil change, clean & painted apartments (which included cleaning the toilets), ski lift build/maint, drove a tow truck (AAA and police), and other hard, menial jobs for minimum wage. That was my incentive to work on a career and better myself.
A banquet server in one of the San Diego properties complained that he was only making $49,000 a year and would like to work more but they didn't have options for banquet servers every day.

Seems to me these jobs pay very well considering the skill level involved. If UNITE really cared about its members, they'd come up with a deal like Wal-Mart and partner with a university system to make it easy for their members to get a college degree. I'm sure that there are dozens of universities that would love to make a deal like that. But ... that doesn't generate dues or disputes.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:39 am

Can someone provide the best Marriott corporate email address to which I should send my gripe? I was on the fence about sending something but after getting harassed at 7am as I was going to get a coffee (because no free coffee in lobby), I'm beyond annoyed at having to deal with this without any previous warning.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: DL DM; Marriott Ambasador Elite
Like a couple others above, I also arrived in SF yesterday. The Palace, St Regis, and W are all be picketed (quite noisily). The Park Central is thankfully unaffected.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:06 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by acrophobia
Like a couple others above, I also arrived in SF yesterday. The Palace, St Regis, and W are all be picketed (quite noisily). The Park Central is thankfully unaffected.
Meridien and JW not on the strike list either.

If Marriott doesn't resolve this by the end of the month (OpenWorld) it's going to be a total cluster.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 9:18 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
As others have mentioned, at $650/night 500 points is unacceptable - will be writing to corporate for some kind of compensation.
500 Marriott “points” equals 166 SPG points; talk about adding insult to injury.

Words cannot adequately convey what a fine welcome Arne has prepared for everyone.

MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
We should all go picket UNITE
The picketers outside the Palace have a decent looking spread of food and drinks. As they were harassing me on my way back in this morning, I tried to grab a muffin and a cup of coffee and they became apoplectic with rage, which was well worth it. I'm going to continue to try to score free food and drink from them every time I pass.
C17PSGR, Score8, ehallison and 4 others like this.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 10:45 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by timezone_trooper
The picketers outside the Palace have a decent looking spread of food and drinks. As they were harassing me on my way back in this morning, I tried to grab a muffin and a cup of coffee and they became apoplectic with rage, which was well worth it. I'm going to continue to try to score free food and drink from them every time I pass.
They were doing informational picketing outside the JW Santa Monica a few weeks ago (not sure who operates the franchise) ... they surrounded me and the GF as we were heading toward the door and starting asking why we would support sexual harassment. A lot of the picketers were obviously college students who didn't work at the property. They've decided to push the sexual harassment theme at all properties since it gets public attention.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:07 am
J S

Arrived at the Ritz Boston this weekend to be greeted with a "Dear Guest" letter telling me that there was extremely limited housekeeping, no room service, no bar, no turndown, no lounge, very limited restaurants, etc. The hotel never bothered to tell me before arrival--even though I spoke to the hotel about my upcoming stay--so that I could have found a different hotel. (Contrary to the letter, they did have some housekeeping, but the "staff" were wearing jeans and t-shirts. The other services were all unavailable.) I felt boxed in by having already paid for the room and therefore forced to cross the picket lines every day.

The picket line is EXTREMELY LOUD and woke me up at 7am each morning (despite being a dozen floors up). You can hear the drumming on 5 gallon buckets from blocks away. The entire hotel has the feeling of being under siege. The only thing I can liken it to would be a hotel after a natural disaster that is just trying to get by. This is not a way to run a luxury hotel.

The worst part is that my two calls to SPG customer service asking them to get involved were met with defensive denials that they knew anything about a strike followed by an unwillingness to do anything to help. I thought I made a pretty reasonable request: please move me to an equivalent room at the same rate at the Liberty (same category hotel), but that idea was flatly rejected. I still don't even know how to contact customer relations to get this addressed (suggestions welcome).

Btw, if the Marriott I stayed at in June thought it was important to proactively let me know that their pool was closed, why doesn't this rate proactive outreach to arriving guests?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:09 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Originally Posted by acrophobia
hmmm, I’m booked into the W for Wednesday night (points stay) - I’ll give this some thought.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 11:13 am

Originally Posted by J S
You tried to steel their food? They shouldn't have gotten angry, they should have called the police and had you arrested for petty larceny.
Curious, did you consider calling the police to report the picketers for noise violations?
kennycrudup likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.