Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Property Experiences during Marriott Workers Strike Fall 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
MODERATOR NOTE: THIS THREAD IS EXCLUSIVELY FOR PROPERTY-SPECIFIC EXPERIENCES
This thread is not for discussing the merits of the strike or general discussion of unions! If that is of interest you can follow that discussion in Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018
Post in this thread which discuss the merits of the strike or are otherwise off-topic will be deleted, not moved to the other thread.

Properties with employees on strike or potentially on strike appear to include:

Detroit
  • Westin Book Cadillac Detroit By Marriott
Boston
  • Aloft Boston Seaport by Marriott
  • Element Boston Seaport by Marriott
  • Ritz-Carlton Boston Common by Marriott
  • Sheraton Boston by Marriott
  • W Boston by Marriott
  • Westin Boston Waterfront by Marriott
  • Westin Copley Place, Boston by Marriott
Oakland
  • Oakland Marriott City Center by Marriott
San Diego
  • The Westin Gaslamp Quarter San Diego by Marriott
San Francisco
  • San Francisco Marriott Union Square
  • Palace Hotel by Marriott
  • W San Francisco by Marriott
  • Westin St. Francis Union Square by Marriott
  • San Francisco Marriott Marquis
  • Courtyard San Francisco Downtown by Marriott
  • St. Regis San Francisco
San Jose
  • San Jose Marriott
Various Locations in Hawaii
  • The Royal Hawaiian by Marriott
  • Sheraton Maui Hotel by Marriott
  • Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort by Marriott
  • Sheraton Princess Kaiulani by Marriott
  • Sheraton Waikiki by Marriott
Seattle
  • Westin Seattle by Marriott
Print Wikipost

Property Experiences during Marriott Workers Strike Fall 2018

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2018, 5:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, JetBlue Mosaic (sometimes)
Originally Posted by 330West
Any recent experiences with the Copley Marriott in Boston? I’m staying two nights next week and I’m inclined to book elsewhere but I don’t feel like paying dramatically more and ending up at a lower quality and/or less convenient property.
I stayed there on Saturday. What do you want to know? Not affected by the strike which is good. Inside the copley mall which is nice for bad weather. Has those "smart" elevators that I am not smart enough to always figure out.
Old Nov 1, 2018, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by dbh1
I stayed there on Saturday. What do you want to know? Not affected by the strike which is good. Inside the copley mall which is nice for bad weather. Has those "smart" elevators that I am not smart enough to always figure out.
I had mistakenly assumed that the Marriott itself was affected and it wasn't until after I had cancelled and booked elsewhere that I found out they weren't.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: MR PP, UA Silver, SW A-List, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
It's actually getting louder. Today there was a guy with the loudest voice I've ever heard yelling over and over again "check-out now, check-out now, check-out now." I'm a block away and 23 floors up and it was like he was standing right outside my office. They must hire him specially for his uniquely loud voice.
I cancelled a stay at the Oakland Marriott last weekend, and have another coming up in two weeks... I don't think the Courtyard around the corner is on strike, but maybe the noise there is still terrible and it's worth moving to another location?
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by goldenbear
I cancelled a stay at the Oakland Marriott last weekend, and have another coming up in two weeks... I don't think the Courtyard around the corner is on strike, but maybe the noise there is still terrible and it's worth moving to another location?
If they are still there, you will hear them, particularly if your room fronts Broadway. Drums and bullhorns.

It is strangely quiet this morning though.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by goldenbear
Oakland reached a tentative settlement today . I believe the regular staff will be back tomorrow. SF has not yet settled
Old Nov 3, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Any news on the Hawaiian properties more in particular the Marriott Waikiki ? Seems there is an opinion that this strike might last through the Holidays which would not be a good thing for anyone.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 10:20 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by edgewood49
Any news on the Hawaiian properties more in particular the Marriott Waikiki ? Seems there is an opinion that this strike might last through the Holidays which would not be a good thing for anyone.
Has someone told you that the Marriott Waikiki is on strike? Fake news. SAD!!!!!
Old Nov 3, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by clublounger
Has someone told you that the Marriott Waikiki is on strike? Fake news. SAD!!!!!
thank you however my post was regarding the strike and what was the status of the Marriott Waikiki did not imply that there was a strike there.
Old Nov 3, 2018, 1:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
thank you however my post was regarding the strike and what was the status of the Marriott Waikiki did not imply that there was a strike there.
Marriott Waikiki is operated by Marriott International and is not on strike. The legacy SPG properties in Hawaii are operated by Kyoya. Kyoya properties are on strike.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: AY Plat Lumo, LX SEN, Marriott Titanium
I have a stay at Sheraton Boston this weekend. It's clearly on the at-risk list, so I'm considering cancelling. Anyone have personal anecdotes about this place?
Old Nov 5, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Yes, it did imply exactly that.

Perhaps you didn't INTEND to imply that. But, this is a thread about experiences at properties on strike. Hence, only properties on strike, currently or recently, should be mentioned. Otherwise, confusion shall reign.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Can we include union activity impacting properties not under strike?

Staying at Marriott Marquis San Diego. This is a corporate owned property and is not unionized per management. Yet union personnel are coming onto the property distributing flyers in guest rooms detailing union issues with Marriott. Security being increased on property as a result.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Segments
Can we include union activity impacting properties not under strike?

Staying at Marriott Marquis San Diego. This is a corporate owned property and is not unionized per management. Yet union personnel are coming onto the property distributing flyers in guest rooms detailing union issues with Marriott. Security being increased on property as a result.
Why are union organizers permitted to access guest rooms and hotel corridors and floors reserved for guests? This shouldn't happen, either from the hotel needing to control access to protect their guests or from the viewpoint of what striking union members are permitted to do.

ADDED: if the flyers are literally being distributed to guestrooms, as opposed to being slipped under doors, it's a much bigger problem and I would complain vigorously to management and possibly the police as an unauthorized person somehow managed to access my hotel room. Even if it's an employee of the nonstriking hotel who is at least sympathetic to the union, this is highly inappropriate and hotel management should instantly take action to stop whoever is doing this. IMO this is equivalent to a stalker somehow leaving a letter in my hotel room.

Yet another reason for putting unionized hotels on my do not stay list.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why are union organizers permitted to access guest rooms and hotel corridors and floors reserved for guests? This shouldn't happen, either from the hotel needing to control access to protect their guests or from the viewpoint of what striking union members are permitted to do.
Some would describe this as trespassing.

The union will likely argue that they aren't doing anything different than food delivery people.
Old Nov 5, 2018, 7:59 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Some would describe this as trespassing.

The union will likely argue that they aren't doing anything different than food delivery people.
Normally food delivery people are invited, implicitly from a hotel guest's decision to order the food. It would be different if food delivery people were going to rooms that haven't placed orders for the purpose of harassing or disturbing guests who have not ordered any food.
C17PSGR likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.