Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Property Experiences during Marriott Workers Strike Fall 2018

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
MODERATOR NOTE: THIS THREAD IS EXCLUSIVELY FOR PROPERTY-SPECIFIC EXPERIENCES
This thread is not for discussing the merits of the strike or general discussion of unions! If that is of interest you can follow that discussion in Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018
Post in this thread which discuss the merits of the strike or are otherwise off-topic will be deleted, not moved to the other thread.

Properties with employees on strike or potentially on strike appear to include:

Detroit
  • Westin Book Cadillac Detroit By Marriott
Boston
  • Aloft Boston Seaport by Marriott
  • Element Boston Seaport by Marriott
  • Ritz-Carlton Boston Common by Marriott
  • Sheraton Boston by Marriott
  • W Boston by Marriott
  • Westin Boston Waterfront by Marriott
  • Westin Copley Place, Boston by Marriott
Oakland
  • Oakland Marriott City Center by Marriott
San Diego
  • The Westin Gaslamp Quarter San Diego by Marriott
San Francisco
  • San Francisco Marriott Union Square
  • Palace Hotel by Marriott
  • W San Francisco by Marriott
  • Westin St. Francis Union Square by Marriott
  • San Francisco Marriott Marquis
  • Courtyard San Francisco Downtown by Marriott
  • St. Regis San Francisco
San Jose
  • San Jose Marriott
Various Locations in Hawaii
  • The Royal Hawaiian by Marriott
  • Sheraton Maui Hotel by Marriott
  • Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort by Marriott
  • Sheraton Princess Kaiulani by Marriott
  • Sheraton Waikiki by Marriott
Seattle
  • Westin Seattle by Marriott
Print Wikipost

Property Experiences during Marriott Workers Strike Fall 2018

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2018, 5:12 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Mod note : Some side-discussion posts have been removed. As per the advisory in the thread wiki, this thread is intended for posters to share experiences of how their stays are being affected by the strike action.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 6:52 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriot, Alaska Air, AAdvantage, Hilton Honors Diamond, British Airways
Check ahead... If your property is on strike...expect no service or food!

We just checked into the Sheraton in Honolulu and found out that they are on strike. They claim there are a few restaurants that are open. However...At 2:30pm

This is a resort property We didn't come here to go searching for food. Maid service is limited...but we'll deal with that Lack of food is a deal breaker

I called spg plat desk and they have been instructed by Marriott that there is nothing that they will do. No compensation .. No refund if we want to leave.
and go somewhere else.

I've been a loyal spg plat for many years I'm about done. It's time to look at other companies that actually care about their guests
Old Oct 28, 2018, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by dqdude
We just checked into the Sheraton in Honolulu and found out that they are on strike. They claim there are a few restaurants that are open. However...At 2:30pm

This is a resort property We didn't come here to go searching for food. Maid service is limited...but we'll deal with that Lack of food is a deal breaker

I called spg plat desk and they have been instructed by Marriott that there is nothing that they will do. No compensation .. No refund if we want to leave.
and go somewhere else.

I've been a loyal spg plat for many years I'm about done. It's time to look at other companies that actually care about their guests
I posted some updates in the Sheraton Waikiki thread (post # 894):

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...thread-60.html

And the strike thread (start at # 83):

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-2018-a-6.html
Old Oct 28, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by dqdude

and go somewhere else.

Sorry for your experience on a vacation. Keep in mind you are properties operated by a Marriott franchisee, Kyo-ya. There was a strike at other brands in Chicago last month and the hotels also wouldn't provide refunds. I believe others have reported they are at least waiving the resort fee.

And no need to go searching for food. If you walk out to Lewers or Beach Walk, you will find several options within a block of the Sheraton.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:16 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
And no need to go searching for food. If you walk out to Lewers or Beach Walk, you will find several options within a block of the Sheraton.
if you are at a resort property, walking a block away off property is 'going searching'... The whole point to as resort stay is not needing to leave the property during your trip. I'm just glad I had a recent stay at the le meridian instead of one of the other properties in san fransisco
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by stant
if you are at a resort property, walking a block away off property is 'going searching'... The whole point to as resort stay is not needing to leave the property during your trip. I'm just glad I had a recent stay at the le meridian instead of one of the other properties in san fransisco
You can find a dozen places to eat in the Royal Hawaiian Centre outside the Sheraton Waikiki before you even reach the picket line!
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:30 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by asquare
I did get a notice from the hotel a few days prior to checkin. Interestingly enough I got calls and emails from the union far before that to inform me of their planned action and recommending I stay elsewhere. I am not sure how they got my information (convention housing bureau, hotel or if they just purchased email lead lists as I work in a city that has properties on strike). .
That would scare the poop out of me (or so I'd claim). With how crazy some people are these days it's not totally outrageous that some twisted individual would go from illegally abusing private information int he marriot system to possibly doing worse to guests that dont heed their veiled threats to avoid a property - you might think I'm silly, but we live in a society where in the last few days guys went shooting up religious groups, and mailing bombs to others, just because they didnt like 'their type'.... I'd complain to not only marriot, but the FBI cyber crimes department and the news media. As C17PSGR suggested it IS a crime to access a computer system, even if you have authority to do so, for reasons that you are not authorized. And i'm pretty sure marriot didnt authorize handing over guest's personal details to unitehere...
estnet and wrp96 like this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 9:32 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriot, Alaska Air, AAdvantage, Hilton Honors Diamond, British Airways
Originally Posted by margarita girl

You can find a dozen places to eat in the Royal Hawaiian Centre outside the Sheraton Waikiki before you even reach the picket line!
I was hoping to lounge at the pool and catch some sun while enjoying a cocktail and food. I know I can get changed and walk a block or so to get a meal at a restaurant .. But that's not really what I was looking for

​​​​
wrp96 likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2018, 10:00 pm

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
I have polled about a dozen friends-- mostly well read and informed--and not one was aware of the strike. What would be an inconvenience for many FlyerTalkers could be a disaster for a couple having their once or twice in a lifetime shot at Paradise.

I just cancelled the Royal Hawaiian and will head to my safety reservation: if the strike is settled tomorrow you will have me to thank.

I think best practice would be to notify guests that their stay might be subject to a labor action, but I understand the buyer beware attitude to protect occupancy.
estnet likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA-1K, AA-Gold, HH-Gold, MR - Gold, HY-Explorist
Actually, it bothered me enough that I brought it up at check-in who of course said that it couldn't be them (unsurprisingly). I also asked someone I knew in the organization to bring it up with the convention housing agency. I doubt I will get get resolution on the issue. Would there be some way to bring it to Marriott's attention at a higher level? I polled a few other people who attended the convention, and none of them got union calls (or were aware of them if they did as they may have been screened out by their staff).
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
My office is across the street from Oakland Marriott. The noise is nonstop during the day and quite annoying, even here on the 23rd floor. A number of colleagues have been working from home. I just cancelled my next Marriott booking in favor of Hyatt I'm so aggravated at them for various reasons, including particularly their failure to resolve this thing.
Stayed here over this past weekend. Totally forgot about the strike until I was up all night with the non-stop honking and bullhorns. What a nightmare. Thankfully had to get up and out early so the annoyance was short lived.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 12:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by prhockey2607
Stayed here over this past weekend. Totally forgot about the strike until I was up all night with the non-stop honking and bullhorns. What a nightmare. Thankfully had to get up and out early so the annoyance was short lived.
It's actually getting louder. Today there was a guy with the loudest voice I've ever heard yelling over and over again "check-out now, check-out now, check-out now." I'm a block away and 23 floors up and it was like he was standing right outside my office. They must hire him specially for his uniquely loud voice.
Old Oct 30, 2018, 10:54 pm

Sheraton Waikiki

Even though the place looks nice, the lack of amenities does detract from the experience. I hope you don't have a room where you hear the strike protesters. The hotel is not the same with the reinforcements.

Last edited by bxg101g; Oct 30, 2018 at 11:03 pm
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by asquare
Actually, it bothered me enough that I brought it up at check-in who of course said that it couldn't be them (unsurprisingly). I also asked someone I knew in the organization to bring it up with the convention housing agency. I doubt I will get get resolution on the issue. Would there be some way to bring it to Marriott's attention at a higher level? I polled a few other people who attended the convention, and none of them got union calls (or were aware of them if they did as they may have been screened out by their staff).
Have you considered bringing it up to marriot publicly to ensure response? Maybe via social media?

I dont know where to find them right now, but if you search FT, others have posted things like email for the CEO. Now obviously he wont read the email and get back to you, but apparently an assistant does, and can (and has) taken action for members before...
Old Nov 1, 2018, 9:05 am

Any recent experiences with the Copley Marriott in Boston? I’m staying two nights next week and I’m inclined to book elsewhere but I don’t feel like paying dramatically more and ending up at a lower quality and/or less convenient property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.