Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Property Experiences during Marriott Workers Strike Fall 2018

Old Oct 16, 2018, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: yosithezet
MODERATOR NOTE: THIS THREAD IS EXCLUSIVELY FOR PROPERTY-SPECIFIC EXPERIENCES
This thread is not for discussing the merits of the strike or general discussion of unions! If that is of interest you can follow that discussion in Merits of Marriott Hotels Strike 2018
Post in this thread which discuss the merits of the strike or are otherwise off-topic will be deleted, not moved to the other thread.

Properties with employees on strike or potentially on strike appear to include:

Detroit
  • Westin Book Cadillac Detroit By Marriott
Boston
  • Aloft Boston Seaport by Marriott
  • Element Boston Seaport by Marriott
  • Ritz-Carlton Boston Common by Marriott
  • Sheraton Boston by Marriott
  • W Boston by Marriott
  • Westin Boston Waterfront by Marriott
  • Westin Copley Place, Boston by Marriott
Oakland
  • Oakland Marriott City Center by Marriott
San Diego
  • The Westin Gaslamp Quarter San Diego by Marriott
San Francisco
  • San Francisco Marriott Union Square
  • Palace Hotel by Marriott
  • W San Francisco by Marriott
  • Westin St. Francis Union Square by Marriott
  • San Francisco Marriott Marquis
  • Courtyard San Francisco Downtown by Marriott
  • St. Regis San Francisco
San Jose
  • San Jose Marriott
Various Locations in Hawaii
  • The Royal Hawaiian by Marriott
  • Sheraton Maui Hotel by Marriott
  • Moana Surfrider, a Westin Resort by Marriott
  • Sheraton Princess Kaiulani by Marriott
  • Sheraton Waikiki by Marriott
Seattle
  • Westin Seattle by Marriott
Print Wikipost

Property Experiences during Marriott Workers Strike Fall 2018

Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:40 am

I was there for 1 day during the beginning of the strike. The hotel will give you a paper talking about the strike. No resort fee but did not offer any other compensation. Bar is closed. Bakery is also closed. I did call to get some utensils and someone did bring them in 15 minutes so the people there are trying their best.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 8:49 am

OMG I did not get offered points for the mandatory Green Choice Program on my 3 day stay at Sheraton Waikiki!
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Amelorn
I have been discussing this with a friend here in China who will be arriving in a couple of days for his honeymoon. He was originally scheduled for the RH.

The tripadvisor reviews are grim: no housekeeping, no bar service, no valet, etc etc etc. I'd be royally PO'ed to pay RH prices for the off-the-interstate motel experience, as well.
Hopefully, they are improving day by day. Hawaii News Media suggests Kyo-ya and the union are meeting next weekend to negotiate further ... that suggests nothing will change in the next week. One assumes Kyo-ya will being doing their best to normalize operations in advance of the negotiations to get leverage.

And .. I've never been much of a fan of tripadvisor reviews ... the folks on FT have much more credibility to me than tripadvisor. And, of course, its always possible tripadvisor reviews may not genuine -- particularly now.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I’m at the Moana Surfrider right now. I got upgraded to a very high floor ocean view room, but can definitely hear the protesters in my room. It’s certainly more than faint noise, but not as loud as, say, being at a concert.

The front desk was staffed with two people last night and I was able to check in within 5 minutes.

I’m about to head to the club lounge for breakfast and will report back.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:13 pm

Programs: BAEC, Delta SkyPesos, VS FC, SQ KF, AA, HHonors
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Hopefully, they are improving day by day. Hawaii News Media suggests Kyo-ya and the union are meeting next weekend to negotiate further ... that suggests nothing will change in the next week. One assumes Kyo-ya will being doing their best to normalize operations in advance of the negotiations to get leverage.

And .. I've never been much of a fan of tripadvisor reviews ... the folks on FT have much more credibility to me than tripadvisor. And, of course, its always possible tripadvisor reviews may not genuine -- particularly now.
I agree with you re Tripadvisor. I might be even worse as a potential client once contacted me to write fabricated reviews on behalf of his clients (crooked hotels) - turned that down. However, when themes emerge over several reviews..well...

Kyo-ya will need time, and it's just not the same using here-today-gone-tomorrow temps who don't know the systems, may not know F&B signature recipes, etc. Given that clients fall into "dream vacation" one-off splurgers or the experienced, affluent travelers...this is a recipe for disappointment all around.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Amelorn
I agree with you re Tripadvisor. I might be even worse as a potential client once contacted me to write fabricated reviews on behalf of his clients (crooked hotels) - turned that down. However, when themes emerge over several reviews..well...

Kyo-ya will need time, and it's just not the same using here-today-gone-tomorrow temps who don't know the systems, may not know F&B signature recipes, etc. Given that clients fall into "dream vacation" one-off splurgers or the experienced, affluent travelers...this is a recipe for disappointment all around.
This sounds like a client to fire ASAP. I'm trying to imagine the conversation:

Please submit a bunch of fraudulent reviews to TA for free and then we'll see about awarding you the contract.

OR

An important part (or all) of your contract will be to submit fraudulent reviews to TA.
Old Oct 21, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by donotblink
I’m at the Moana Surfrider right now. I got upgraded to a very high floor ocean view room, but can definitely hear the protesters in my room. It’s certainly more than faint noise, but not as loud as, say, being at a concert.

The front desk was staffed with two people last night and I was able to check in within 5 minutes.

I’m about to head to the club lounge for breakfast and will report back.
breakfast was mediocre, they didn’t have real plates or silverware, but plastic plates and cutlery. The pancakes that they were serving appeared to be eggos. The staff was attentive though and cleared tables quickly.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Sheraton Waikiki

I was expecting the worst, but was pleasantly surprised. The Platinum desk is closed but there were only 2 people ahead of us in the regular check in line. Checked in at 3:30 and was told that I was upgraded to a Kai Suite, but it wasn't ready yet so was given keys for the lounge. Evening service starts at 4 pm so we were just in time. Plastic glasses, plates and cutlery were available. The food was obviously catered (no hot items). However there was cheese, cold meats, veggies, dip, hummus and crackers and a huge platter of sushi (some of it vegetarian). There was also 2 large cakes obviously from a bakery.

At 5:30, went back to front desk to see if we could get into our room. The agent who served us had just arrived from San Antonio. He said our suite still wasn't ready, but he gave us keys for another room to put our things in. We parked our bags then went out for a walk. (Picked up my $300 in gift cards from the Marriott for the Amex promo.) When we returned an hour later, the suite was ready. Was given keys by an agent from Tucson. I was handed the welcome gift bag but I didn't get to choose what went in it. (Gift shop is closed.)

The hotel is sold out, so all the staff that is being brought in from other cities is housed at other hotels.

The strikers are out at the street so there really is no noise at the hotel itself. Overall, better than I expected, and I'm sure we can manage for 3 days without housekeeping.
davakkar and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:56 am

The Moana Surfrider protesters are currently protesting on the beach. Unfortunately it’s quite audable from my room.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 1:27 am

Originally Posted by jb64
Am currently staying at Westin San Diego Gaslamp and the strike has been very disruptive. They started Sunday morning around 4:30 to 5:00 a.m. with bullhorns, drums, and chants and has been ongoing. No restaurant, no room service, rooms only being serviced every three days and hotel guests being harassed and accosted as they come and go. Number of strikers increased substantially Sunday afternoon and no one was really sure who was protesting and who was striking as it became about women’s rights and living wages and minority rights. Most of the other protesters have moved on and only strikers are still out front. They have garnered very little sympathy from the hotel guests at this point.
Are there noise ordinances which affect the hours?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by donotblink
The Moana Surfrider protesters are currently protesting on the beach. Unfortunately it’s quite audable from my room.
You might want to check the local rules for usage of public (I assume) beaches. Are gatherings allowed and is there a noise curfew?
Old Oct 22, 2018, 9:25 am

Programs: UA Life Gold, Marriott Life Titanium
The police will not shut down a picket line because of noise.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You might want to check the local rules for usage of public (I assume) beaches. Are gatherings allowed and is there a noise curfew?
And do what with the information you obtain? Politely ask the protesters to move along????? Tell them to shoosh? Please explain why a current guest at the property should delve into local ordinances.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:02 pm

The protesters were back on the beach at ~7:30am this morning, however they just left and went to the other side of the hotel.

Not to veer off topic, but I have 0% interest in engaging with the workers on strike. It’s really not my place as a guest of the hotel.
Old Oct 22, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta PM 1MM™, Alaska MVPG75K, Marriott LTTE, United SE, Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by margarita girl
I was expecting the worst, but was pleasantly surprised. The Platinum desk is closed but there were only 2 people ahead of us in the regular check in line. Checked in at 3:30 and was told that I was upgraded to a Kai Suite, but it wasn't ready yet so was given keys for the lounge. Evening service starts at 4 pm so we were just in time. Plastic glasses, plates and cutlery were available. The food was obviously catered (no hot items). However there was cheese, cold meats, veggies, dip, hummus and crackers and a huge platter of sushi (some of it vegetarian). There was also 2 large cakes obviously from a bakery.

At 5:30, went back to front desk to see if we could get into our room. The agent who served us had just arrived from San Antonio. He said our suite still wasn't ready, but he gave us keys for another room to put our things in. We parked our bags then went out for a walk. (Picked up my $300 in gift cards from the Marriott for the Amex promo.) When we returned an hour later, the suite was ready. Was given keys by an agent from Tucson. I was handed the welcome gift bag but I didn't get to choose what went in it. (Gift shop is closed.)

The hotel is sold out, so all the staff that is being brought in from other cities is housed at other hotels.

The strikers are out at the street so there really is no noise at the hotel itself. Overall, better than I expected, and I'm sure we can manage for 3 days without housekeeping.
This is some very helpful information - thanks so much for the detail and making it timely. We're in Waikiki at the end of next week and I've been oscillating - I prefer the Sheraton Waikiki, but also have reservations at the Waikiki Beach Marriott and The Laylow just in case. If the impacts are only as you described, then I may tolerate them in exchange for no resort fee.

Question about your room: Did you use a Suite Night Award or just request at check-in? I thought SNAs were only available for Malia Suites - but if I can get into a Kai Suite, that's another reason to choose the Sheraton.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.