Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Element by Westin Bali, Ubud [Master Thread]

Element by Westin Bali, Ubud [Master Thread]

Old Jun 18, 2018, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Arrow Element by Westin Bali, Ubud [Master Thread]

Originally Posted by Richard1148
Would like to hear from one or both of you. The reviews on the SPG website and TripAdvisor are all very positive, but I always like to hear from Flyertalkers as well.
We have stayed at Element Ubud for 3 nights during second half of May. Hotel is brand new. No upgrades for SPG PLT because suites are not ready. So just a regular room on an SPG floor with a balcony over the pool. No Element reception either because we are still in the opening process. After inquiring regarding the reception we were given two free drink coupons. Not much in terms of PLT recognition. I got a feeling that the management is trying to keep expenses low for now.

Overall, we did like the stay:

1) Nearly empty swimming pool (not sure if this would stay the same at full occupancy)
2) Breakfast was fine. They had a western-style hot buffet items and egg station in addition to a noodle station and two local dishes that changed daily. Fresh fruits and some freshly squeezed juices/drinks. With just a few people at the restaurant we did not expect a large variety. The staff was genially trying to take care of you. I have ended up with a custom made soursop smoothie made just for me at no charge.
3) We had one lunch and one dinner and the hotel restaurant: good quality for the price but not overly extensive menu which does not change between lunch and dinner. However, Ubud has many great restaurants.
4) I would not recommend taking an afternoon tea because of a very minimalistic offering.
5) Free shuttle to Ubud is convenient and they will pick you up (subject to Ubud traffic).
6) They do offer free bicycles but I was not sure how we can ride those on Ubud roads.
7) My wife did enjoy massages at the spa.
8) No problem with WiFi.
9) There is a Delta supermarket down the road toward Ubud about 10-15 min by walk if you are OK navigating the street and watching for holes in the sidewalk. The supermarket is just before an intersection when the driver would turn to Ubud Center/ Monkey Forest). There is one closer but I liked Delta better because of a bigger selection and a refrigerated wine section (important to keep wine from spoiling). Good imported selection and also Two Island label made in Bali from imported grapes.

Would return again unless hotel gets crowded.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:03 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
@Alex_I, thanks for the info. I may give this hotel a try for a few days while I am in Bali.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: DL Gold/MM, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold
FYI, this hotel is moving up to a category 2 in August, so book now at category 1 point rates if you plan to stay there using points within the next year.
Old Jul 1, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by Alex_I
We have stayed at Element Ubud for 3 nights during second half of May. Hotel is brand new. No upgrades for SPG PLT because suites are not ready. So just a regular room on an SPG floor with a balcony over the pool. No Element reception either because we are still in the opening process. After inquiring regarding the reception we were given two free drink coupons. Not much in terms of PLT recognition. I got a feeling that the management is trying to keep expenses low for now.
Isn't Element (and Aloft) does not have Plat benefit?
Old Jul 1, 2018, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by lingua101
Isn't Element (and Aloft) does not have Plat benefit?
- It should have breakfast as PLT benefit but both our reservations had breakfast included so I have chosen PLT amenity in form of points.
From the other hand my understanding is that all Element hotels should have breakfast included + evening reception on some days regardless the status with the SPG program.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 12:24 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by Alex_I
- It should have breakfast as PLT benefit but both our reservations had breakfast included so I have chosen PLT amenity in form of points.
From the other hand my understanding is that all Element hotels should have breakfast included + evening reception on some days regardless the status with the SPG program.
Platinum members: Platinum members receive upgrades to the best available rooms, including Standard Suites, subject to availability for the entire length of stay at time of check-in. Not offered at Aloft or Element℠ hotels.
So the "real" benefit is a welcome gifts that you can choose either welcome gift, points, or breakfast. and late checkout

Of course they will say you get wifi for free, gym access, bla bla bla which to me is just a standard rather than real benefit

What I am trying to say, regardless if the suite is ready or not, the hotel has no obligation to give you the upgrade to suite, it is up to the hotel discretion as the room upgrade benefit is not offered at Aloft and Element.

This is why I am not reconsidering my stay at Element Ubud. I will probably opt to try Renaissance Uluwatu instead.
Old Jul 2, 2018, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lingua101
So the "real" benefit is a welcome gifts that you can choose either welcome gift, points, or breakfast. and late checkout

Of course they will say you get wifi for free, gym access, bla bla bla which to me is just a standard rather than real benefit

What I am trying to say, regardless if the suite is ready or not, the hotel has no obligation to give you the upgrade to suite, it is up to the hotel discretion as the room upgrade benefit is not offered at Aloft and Element.

This is why I am not reconsidering my stay at Element Ubud. I will probably opt to try Renaissance Uluwatu instead.
You are 100% correct about standard SPG PLT benefits. But this is South East Asia after all. When we were staying in May @ Element Ubud the manager on duty was saying that she would be upgrading PLT to suites if we decide to come next year. None of the suites were ready this past May. Of course, whether PLT upgrades would happen or not is another story...
Just before heading to Ubud I was staying again in Hilton Garden Inn Denpasar for 1 nights. HGI has the same official policy - no upgrades for Diamonds. However, the second year in a row I was upgraded to 1 bedroom suite without asking the front desk.
Old Sep 11, 2018, 7:04 pm

So to confirm that breakfast is a PLAT benefit here? I just read a few other Platinum reviews on Tripadvisor and such and they said they never received breakfast? Is it because they didn't choose it or it simply was not offered. The MAR breakfast benefits are so hard to understand it isn't even funny!

In saying that I am really trying to decipher what hotels in Bali offer the free breakfast for Plats? What about the Sthala and Courtyard? I know that the Westin and Laguna do for sure but everything else is so, so confusing. It is not even fun anymore trying to book your vacation. It was so easy before. MAR is no doubt losing customers.
Hilton just published there benefit grids (without a doubt a shot to Marriott) and they are so simple to understand. So simple.

Last edited by Bravada04; Sep 11, 2018 at 7:11 pm Reason: update
Old Sep 12, 2018, 10:58 am
IHG 5+ Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Bravada04
So to confirm that breakfast is a PLAT benefit here? I just read a few other Platinum reviews on Tripadvisor and such and they said they never received breakfast? Is it because they didn't choose it or it simply was not offered. The MAR breakfast benefits are so hard to understand it isn't even funny!

In saying that I am really trying to decipher what hotels in Bali offer the free breakfast for Plats? What about the Sthala and Courtyard? I know that the Westin and Laguna do for sure but everything else is so, so confusing. It is not even fun anymore trying to book your vacation. It was so easy before. MAR is no doubt losing customers.
Hilton just published there benefit grids (without a doubt a shot to Marriott) and they are so simple to understand. So simple.
Just checked in today. I can confirm that :
- No breakfast for platinum amenity choice, (chose points instead)
- No breakfast for platinum for loyalty (gave reason - due to merger)
- You get 20% off for plat benefit lunch and dinner. 0% for breakfast at 150k++ pp. #facepalm
Called Marriott and was told they are correct no breakfast benefit for plat (i guess the mariott breakfast cheatsheet @ flyertalk is wrong)

- No room service for breakfast. pretty much forced to pay for breakfast @ buffet restaurant full price.
- Staff lies regarding suite upgrade quoting reason no suites avail when there are bookable, classic. (even though they reserve the right not to upgrade due to element brand, i respect that but being lied to is different)
- Room smells horrible
- Rooms and facilities are substandard, as this was a good deal points stay will take the bullet, will avoid in future.

meow.
Old Sep 12, 2018, 11:01 am

Programs: SPG 100 Ambassador, LH M&M Senator, Skywards Silver
This must be a marriott thing, as I've stayed there in July and got full breakfast in restaurant (on points redemption).
Old Sep 12, 2018, 7:45 pm

Seriously, what a mess MAR has made of this. Just unbelievably incompetent; extremely poor service etc., everything is just such a fricking mess from my accounts; stays not posting; website a joke; benefit fiasco / understanding..... goes on and on!

SPG was simply awesome and it will never be the same. It feels like there is no reason to be loyal to this group.....they are for sure going to lose LOTS of customers.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 1:56 am
IHG 5+ Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum, SPG Gold
FYI :

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker III
Hi there,
We have escalated this issue to the brand manager of Element Hotels.

We are advised that Element Hotels in AP do not offer complementary breakfast at RISE restaurant and the website will be updated to clarify later.
Together with removed breakfast amenity for Plats, rest assured will not be visiting any element in AP.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:21 am
Suspended

I am visiting Bali next Feb for a total of 7 days and 6 nights. my schedule is DPS- courtyard seminyak 2 nights-Laguna 2 nights-Elements 2 nights- DPS-Jarketa

Can anyone suggested if this is a good itinerary? As Elements is a bit far from airport or Laguna, so I put it for last night as our flights to CGK is late night around 21:00.

How was the traffic from Laguna to elements? And how was the location of elements? Is it convenient?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by Vince Chan
I am visiting Bali next Feb for a total of 7 days and 6 nights. my schedule is DPS- courtyard seminyak 2 nights-Laguna 2 nights-Elements 2 nights- DPS-Jarketa

Can anyone suggested if this is a good itinerary? As Elements is a bit far from airport or Laguna, so I put it for last night as our flights to CGK is late night around 21:00.

How was the traffic from Laguna to elements? And how was the location of elements? Is it convenient?
My thought is that traffic in Bali in pretty horrendous now days, and you are moving around a lot. If it were me, I would cut one of those stays and extend the other two.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by camsean

My thought is that traffic in Bali in pretty horrendous now days, and you are moving around a lot. If it were me, I would cut one of those stays and extend the other two.

I understand, but seminyak ,Ubud and nusa dua are all important location to visit or for a staycation in Bali, it's just difficult to give up staying any one of them.

For Ubud, between elements and Sthala a tribute portfolio hotel, which one is better overall?Anyone?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.