Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Alexa coming soon to Marriott hotel rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alexa coming soon to Marriott hotel rooms

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:43 am

Kimpton has been offering this for a while, at least in their Seattle hotels. My Kimpton profile has a standing request to always have it removed; so far, that's worked.

If I'm reading the prior posts correctly and Marriott wants me to move instead of unplugging the Alexa, then I will continue with Kimpton in markets they serve and non-Marriott properties in all others.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by Kremmen
Do you really believe that? Plenty of hotels are incapable of setting up wifi competently, let alone complex pieces of equipment.

I stayed in a hotel a few days ago which provided a Handy phone in the room. The documents with it claimed that all personal data is cleared after each guest checks out. Would you like to guess which month the call log on mine went back to?
I really do not care. I have never cared about Alexa and what happens inside my house. Actually, my SO bought one for both our house and condo.

The thing is, I am just stating what the article for Amazon launching Alexa for Hotels was saying. So I have enjoyed reading all the comments from people either freaking out or loving it. One thing is for sure, a hotel can not have Alexa in ALL of their rooms for now.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: DL FF, Marriott LT Plat., National EA
Originally Posted by JackE
Easy enough for interested guests to simply use their own Alexa.
I've brought my Amazon Tap with me on my last 3 or 4 trips and have not been able to get it working on the Marriott WIFI. I'm apparently in the minority, but I would very much welcome rooms coming with an Alexa!
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:57 pm

I'd be more concerned about a possible in-room "Aleksei for Kompromat" at the Trump International Hotel Washington. It's not a feature, it's a bug!
GregWTravels likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:18 pm

I have four of them, and love them. But, if they don't include Amazon Music, or smart controls for lights, I won't use it at all. But, I don't fear them.
dsperling likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:58 pm

Originally Posted by dsperling
I've brought my Amazon Tap with me on my last 3 or 4 trips and have not been able to get it working on the Marriott WIFI. I'm apparently in the minority, but I would very much welcome rooms coming with an Alexa!
Just carry a travel router. I've carried one for some time. All of my devices are paired with it, so I just plug the travel router into the hotel's hardwired internet, sign into the system once using my phone/laptop/tablet, and everything's good to go. A few additional bonuses from this arrangement: 1) Security -- everything's encrypted on the WiFi side of things, 2) Speed -- Even if the hotel's WiFi is overloaded, usually the hardwired is still strong, 3) File server -- one of my travel routers has a built in file server, so I can share files easily between my devices.
dsperling and RogerD408 like this.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i would disconnect it, but many hotels already have computer tablets, many of which do have built in microphones
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:56 am

Programs: DL FF, Marriott LT Plat., National EA
Originally Posted by KRSW
Just carry a travel router. I've carried one for some time. All of my devices are paired with it, so I just plug the travel router into the hotel's hardwired internet, sign into the system once using my phone/laptop/tablet, and everything's good to go. A few additional bonuses from this arrangement: 1) Security -- everything's encrypted on the WiFi side of things, 2) Speed -- Even if the hotel's WiFi is overloaded, usually the hardwired is still strong, 3) File server -- one of my travel routers has a built in file server, so I can share files easily between my devices.
Great suggestions... thanks! I'll try it next week!
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA MP, AF FB, SAS EB, KA SP
Eventually will Alexa also leave out an envelope asking for tips?
joshua362 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
i would disconnect it, but many hotels already have computer tablets, many of which do have built in microphones
I've never seen one in a hotel room?

I'd think most guests would be horrified at the idea of having their conversations eavesdropped on like that?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
Originally Posted by Blueblood
No need, Alexa continuously monetizes everyone within range.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Blueblood
Requests access to your bitcoin account before ordering that cold beer!
Old Jun 29, 2018, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by KRSW
Recently I've stayed in a lot of hotels that don't obviously have any wired internet.

Also, what happens when you need to use your laptop and (other) devices elsewhere during the day, such as office, meeting room, convention center rooms, hotel function space, etc.?Isn't the travel router a hassle then?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Recently I've stayed in a lot of hotels that don't obviously have any wired internet.

Also, what happens when you need to use your laptop and (other) devices elsewhere during the day, such as office, meeting room, convention center rooms, hotel function space, etc.?Isn't the travel router a hassle then?
I've stayed in plenty of Marriott-branded hotels where the wireless slows to a crawl every evening when everyone is in their rooms, and even basic web surfing is impossible until after midnight. Where is the additional wireless bandwidth going to come from to support Alexa devices?
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

Not at all. You can still use your devices in their native mode and connect where ever you want, like at home. Or you can fire up the travel router and use it. It's just in many hotels they put a limit on the number of connections and access is not as easy on non-laptop devices. As far as the property is concerned you have a single device and you only need to login once.

Also, I (as everyone should) travel with an ethernet cable. Many times I find a live net connection somewhere around the desk so I avoid the WiFi congestion and many times get a faster connection.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.