Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Alexa coming soon to Marriott hotel rooms

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alexa coming soon to Marriott hotel rooms

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2018, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP
The presence of listening devices in their hotel rooms would be a sure fire reason for me to avoid ever staying at a Marriott again.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Gig103
I've had enough security training to know that power has to be removed to really trust a device.
Originally Posted by swingaling
The presence of listening devices in their hotel rooms would be a sure fire reason for me to avoid ever staying at a Marriott again.
+1. This is a threat, not an amenity. Unless I can yank the power out of the wall, pull the battery, and stow the thing in the closet, I'm not taking the room.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ehallison
Alexa coming to your hotel room
"ordering room service, requesting housekeeping, or calling the concierge for recommendations
Those are simply examples of voice activated dialing telephones inside the hotel. Not much better than picking up the phone and pushing the preset buttons to reach the same departments. It's just additional desktop clutter unless it does more.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:53 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Originally Posted by ehallison
Alexa coming to your hotel room
"Alexa for hospitality would assist in providing services ranging from ordering room service to requesting housekeeping or calling the concierge for dinner recommendations without picking up the phone.
The company said the partnership will start this summer at Marriott’s select properties and the service will be available by invitation to other hotel chains."

Does anybody think this is a good idea? I don't have any of these listening devices in my home, and I sure don't want one in my hotel room. I *assume* there will be a way to turn these off for guests who don't wish to use this feature.
Hope they keep it to Marriott and all the Sheraton/SPG don't adopt, it'll be the first thing I disconnect. Not that I'm a privacy freak, I'm the last one to worry too much about cameras, fingerprints, tracking my phones every click, but I really don't need a frigging voice assistant in my room, psst I already got a phone, smartphone/wifi and my computer in the friggen room, LOL
SpicyMorale likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 3:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Easy enough for interested guests to simply use their own Alexa.
KRSW likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:04 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
I mentioned this to the OH today, along with my concern that it would worm its way into Starwood. I said if I saw it in a room I'd unplug it. He said he'd be keen to use it (he has Alexa at his place, I won't have it at mine!). I've decided he can have his own room if we holiday at a Marriott...
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:26 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
It needs to have a way to be unplugged.
I'm not sure what this means. Infinite battery technology doesn't exist, as long as the device needs power it stands to reason that one end or the other (or both) can be unplugged.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I'm not sure what this means. Infinite battery technology doesn't exist, as long as the device needs power it stands to reason that one end or the other (or both) can be unplugged.
think of the annoying little led lights in a hotel room that cannot be unplugged. Smoke detectors and what nots. They don’t use ‘infinite battery technology’, they are simply hard wired. You could hardwire an Alexa. I wouldn’t like that.
KRSW and SpicyMorale like this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 6:13 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by bitterproffit

think of the annoying little led lights in a hotel room that cannot be unplugged. Smoke detectors and what nots. They don’t use ‘infinite battery technology’, they are simply hard wired. You could hardwire an Alexa. I wouldn’t like that.
I'm not a fan of listening devices either, and I somewhat see what you mean. The smoke detector comparison doesn't really make sense though. Smoke detectors draw very little power, can be powered by battery and are designed to be mounted and not touched for years. Amazon Echoes are designed to be plugged in and draw considerable power, some of the best battery technology for them lasts for a matter of hours. They also break quite easily and are designed to be replaced with some regularity. You're about as likely to see a hardwired Echo as you are a hardwired TV or coffee maker in a hotel room. Even TVs, while mounted, can be simply unplugged.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
BAD idea!
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:10 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
I love Alexa. I have three of them in my home.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:36 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott nobody
Originally Posted by BearX220
+1. This is a threat, not an amenity. Unless I can yank the power out of the wall, pull the battery, and stow the thing in the closet, I'm not taking the room.
Originally Posted by swingaling
I would feel uncomfortable about having an open mic in my hotel room where I may participate in business conference calls and having private conversations. Who wants to worry about making sure these always on listening devices are unplugged and not broadcasting? Traveling for business is already stressful enough. It is far easier to just avoid Marriott and any hotels that may have them.

Last edited by EdofFX; Jun 19, 2018 at 7:37 pm Reason: edit for grammar
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:09 pm

A Portland Oregon's Family trouble with Alexa in this article https://qz.com/1288743 leaves me to conclude I don't want one. For the reasons in this article, the potential for privacy invasion accidentally or for other reasons make me not want to have the device in my hotel room. I would choose to disconnect the device were it in my hotel room.
MSPeconomist and SpicyMorale like this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 9:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Just another thing to do right after checking in - remove Alexa from my room and deliver it to the front desk.
KRSW and Oxnardjan like this.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 10:19 pm

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
Hmmmmm https://www.cnet.com/news/amazons-al...time-and-more/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.