Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Imperial Riding School, Autograph Collection, Vienna, Austria [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2018, 10:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: *wood plt,mrt plt, aa ex plt

Staying at the Imperial Riding School in Vienna this summer

Any room, food or tour suggestions?
Any close by local places not to miss?
Old Jun 16, 2018, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by rockdocs
Staying at the Imperial Riding School in Vienna this summer

Any room, food or tour suggestions?
Any close by local places not to miss?
You didn't mention the length of your stay.

My answer is see everything...this property, IIRC, is centrally located - Hofburg, Spanish Riding School, and the list goes on. You will not go hungry either. Vienna is a beautiful city!

Because of my own interests, I'd note the Vienna Fire Department museum, located very close to the Hofburg. It is likely the best fire museum that I've visited. And Vienna can claim the first organized fire department in the world.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 11:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If you want information regarding the IRS, there are a lot of details in this thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...%2BRenaissance

If you want suggestions on things to do in Vienna, I'd recommend checking out the Europe forum & do a search on Vienna.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe-477/

I went to school in Vienna & have been back many times. I created a word doc on things to do, places to eat, things to know, etc, in Vienna. If you PM me your email address I'll send it to you. (Offer open to other FTers as well).

Cheers.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
As SkiAdcock says there are tons of things to do and see in Vienna.

One restaurant recommended near the hotel is Salm Brau. It’s just a couple blocks from the hotel on Rennweg - an easy walk or take a tram. Good local food and they brew their own beer. We ended up eating 2 dinners and a lunch there in a few day stay.
Old Jun 18, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by LAX2Anywhere
As SkiAdcock says there are tons of things to do and see in Vienna.

One restaurant recommended near the hotel is Salm Brau. It’s just a couple blocks from the hotel on Rennweg - an easy walk or take a tram. Good local food and they brew their own beer. We ended up eating 2 dinners and a lunch there in a few day stay.
I second this beer garden style restaurant

try to get in the new building where the lounge is!
Old Jun 18, 2018, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I third it! Loved that restaurant!

We had kind of a meh room assignment - stayed there as a Gold. But the lounge was fantastic and the room didn't really detract from the stay. We weren't in the room much. Love Vienna - very compact, so much to do within walking distance or a very short tram ride from this hotel.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: United PremPlat; M LT Gold, HH Diamond, IHG Spire A
Google search a direct contact to the hotel, but no email: Melanie Leitgeb - Guest Relations Manager. Do you have any direct name & email to the hotel? Thank you!
Old Feb 17, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott/SPG, AMEX
My husband checked into this hotel today for a one day stay. I booked him in the basic (Deluxe) king room. He was upgraded to a corner Imperial Club King Room. He will be going to a Hilton for CPX and then return here for his last 2 nights. He's pleased with the room. Sorry the photos are a bit blurry.

View from room

King view 1

King view 2

King view 3

King view 4

Bath 1

Bath photo 2

The husband said he would report back on lounge offerings and I will update. He's going to check out the Marriott in Vienna while he is there (we are booked for 3 days next month) but he is really liking the vibe here so we may change our reservation.

For data points on this date-status is LT and Titanium with 111 nights last year, not Ambassador.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 7:52 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA: EXP, 1MM Marriott: Ambassador, LTT
Great value for Marriott elites on business with good access to mass transit

Imperial Riding School Renaissance Vienna Hotel

Ungargasse 60 Vienna, AT 1030

Great value for Marriott elites on business with good access to mass transit (14 Photos)

Imperial Riding School Renaissance Vienna Hotel

Spent 1 night in March 2019 during a quick business trip to Vienna. Overall a great option for Marriott elites on a business trip that want quick access to public transportation, good elite benefits with a nice lounge to relax in and all at a relatively good value compared to the hotel located on the Ringstrasse. At this time of year it was also a great value.I've stayed at the Ritz on the ringstrasse and while that is no doubt a nicer hotel in general, the IRS is a better value and the lounge is free.  4 stars overall as the rooms could use a refresh (think mid 2000s US Marriott) but 5 for value.   I would stay here again if on business.

The location of the hotel is very good for business travelers as there is an SBahn station right next to the hotel that has direct trains to the airport, downtown and to the central station. I arrived late at VIE and it couldn't be easier to get here from the airport as the SBahn from the airport stops right next to the hotel.

For tourists the location is probably not as ideal as the Ringstrasse or city center, as it's a decent walk to the city center, but there are plenty of public transport options available.  The area is also pretty quiet so no road or nightlife noise concerns.

Room

As a Ambassador elite I was upgraded without asking prior to check-in from a standard king to a 2nd floor Club Level king located in the separate "Club Lounge" wing of the hotel. 

The Club Level King room was clean and spacious with some nice amenities such as a tea/coffee maker and a free bottle of still and sparkling water. Judging by the TV I would guess it has been 10+ years since the room was updated, so probably could use a refresh although everything seemed clean and not worn out so they are doing a good job maintaining the rooms even if they are somewhat dated. The quality of the bedding, toiletries, pillows, etc. was similar to what you find in a Marriott or Renaissance in the US, so not luxurious, but definitely upscale.  I liked that it had a proper desk/work area as well as a built-in luggage rack near the door.

IMG_20190312_222617.jpg
A Club Level King

IMG_20190312_222640.jpg

Room had a decent desk and chair for getting work done.  TV could use an upgrade.

IMG_20190312_222611.jpg
Entranceway with built-in luggage stand

IMG_20190312_222932.jpg
Complementary still and sparkling water and a fridge below the TV
1_IMG_20190312_223938.jpg
Complementary coffee and tea setup

1_IMG_20190312_222713.jpg
First time seeing this room service offering

IMG_20190312_222745 blur.jpg
A nice bedside nighttime wafer treat and welcome card

The bathroom was spacious, clean and had a separate shower and tub.  

IMG_20190312_222813.jpg
Single sink and tub

IMG_20190312_222834.jpg
Shower and toilet

1_IMG_20190312_222826.jpg
The shower had a rain shower head and a hand shower

IMG_20190312_222859.jpg
A nice selection of bathroom toiletries

Elite Benefits

As I mentioned earlier I was upgraded without asking in advance from a regular king room to Club Level King room.    My room also including a nice gift of chocolates and hand written note from the hotel.

The Club Lounge is located on the ground floor of the Club wing of the hotel.  It's on the larger size for a club lounge with several separate sitting areas.   The lounge schedule indicated that they had several different food presentations throughout the day, including afternoon cakes which I was sad I did not have the opportunity to try!

I was only able to sample the breakfast presentation.   The breakfast food selection and quality was very good but not great.  All the standard western breakfast items were available including several warm items.  There was no a la carte ordering or made to order offerings (at least as far as I could tell).  More than fine if you are getting a quick bite on the way to a day of meetings, but not the breadth and quality of food offerings that you might find at a higher luxury hotel.  That said the size and multiple food presentations throughout the day makes this lounge a much better offering than you will find in most US Renaissance/ Sheraton / Marriott hotels.

I've stayed on the Club level at the RC Vienna and that lounge is nicer, but you have to pay $200/night to access that lounge vs. the IRS's free lounge with almost as many food presentations.

IMG_20190312_222649.jpg

I am pretty sure the chocolates and note were an elite-only welcome gift

IMG_20190313_063937.jpg
Front sitting area of the club lounge

IMG_20190313_065140.jpg
Lounge hours and offerings  

Service

I was in and out so quickly that I really didn't interact with many staff at the hotel, but check-in was quick and efficient and the lounge staff were industrious and pleasant. Everyone spoke excellent english.

Great value for Marriott elites on business with good access to mass transit

Would you like to write a review on the Imperial Riding School Renaissance Vienna Hotel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:57 pm

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Thanks for the trip report w/ pics. I often stay at this property when in Wien, because it has a nice lounge, they upgrade me, & it's less expensive than the Marriott.

Cheers.
River in Sight likes this.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 1:41 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Been thinking of a trip to Vienna with my family and have had this hotel in my sights, so the trip review is much appreciated. Looks well worth a visit to Vienna.
Old Apr 10, 2019, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
If I had to guess from the pictures taken by @BillBurn, I would say 2006 or 2007?
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Closest station next to the hotel is "Rennweg" where the S-bahn trains go through. Direct connection to Vienna main train station "Hauptbahnhof" and also the "Wien Mitte" train station.

To use the metro (U-bahn) you will have go to and transfer at one of those 2 big train stations I just mentioned.

The area aroud the hotel is a good one...lots of embassies are located there.

Windows can be opened for fresh air at this hotel.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Jul 21, 2019 at 8:24 am
Old Jul 21, 2019, 8:13 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
Club lounge is on the ground floor in another building right opposite the main hotel entrance. You have go down to the lobby/reception and exit the main hotel building and walk outside across about 15 to 20 meters (50 to 65 feet) to get there. Not fun if it's raining or snowing or very cold.

The club lounge is quite large and has generous opening hours.
Open every day (including weekends) from 6am until midnight

Breakfast from 6:30am to 10:30am
Fresh cakes from 2pm to 4:30pm
Warm food from 5:30pm to 8:30pm
Cheese and desserts from 8pm to 10pm
Old Apr 11, 2022, 1:51 pm

I made a 2-night booking for July at this property many months ago. Today, I received an email from the Director of Guest Services informing me that the ownership of the hotel has recently changed, and the new owners have decided to close the hotel for renovations for the remainder of 2022 (no date given on a reopening in 2023).

I was advised that they could re-accommodate me at the Renaissance Wien Hotel. This is not an acceptable offer to me as the Renaissance Wien is further away from the City Center and the nightly rate is significantly lower than what I have booked at Imperial Riding School. I’m awaiting a response to see if they offer up a more favorable property within the Marriott portfolio, but wanted to share here with the FlyerTalk community in case others have future bookings at this property. ​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.