FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   London Marriott Hotel Twickenham, United Kingdom [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1913899-london-marriott-hotel-twickenham-united-kingdom-master-thread.html)

AbuCordoba Jun 12, 2018 6:02 am

London Marriott Hotel Twickenham, United Kingdom [Master Thread]

Hey guys just wondering if anyone has stayed at Marriott Twickenham in London and have any thoughts or tips? I couldn't see a master thread on the property.

dimon84 Jun 12, 2018 7:25 am

Yes, stayed there two times. Quite a good hotel. About 10 min walk from the train station. Closest grocery store is about 12 min on foot. Rooms are a bit dated, but overall very clean, spacious. I think it does not have an exec lounge (double check if important for you) and I did not like the breakfast choice much. Overall, recommend.

AbuCordoba Jun 12, 2018 8:32 am

Thank you @dimon84 for the update! We won't be spending much time at the property mainly just to sleep. Is the breakfast any good you know or know any good local spots?

Lizie Jun 12, 2018 9:09 am

I haven't stayed there but a quick flag there's a 2000 point bonus for weekend stays till 2nd September if you can work that in.

nobbyclark Jun 12, 2018 10:44 am

Stayed there quite a few times. If you are lucky, you will get a room on the top floor, which overlooks the pitch and all the rooms are large suites with separate dining area, sleeping area, bathroom and additional toilet. Good breakfast with large range of cold and hot options. Also, the attached gym is managed by a 3rd party (Virgin, I think) and has a huge range of machines, a pool and even a climbing wall. 15 minute walk to Twickenham town centre, which has many restaurants and bars. Also, easily reached by the 281 bus from Hounslow (which connects to Piccadilly line to/from Heathrow).

nequine Jun 18, 2018 12:56 am

Its been a few years since we've stayed here but we really enjoyed it. I can't remember which floor we were (I know it wasn't the 6th) but the room was massive! There were a few different eating places in the hotel with different menu's in each and breakfast was nice too. There isn't too much around but jump on one of the buses that stop outside the hotel will take you to places where you can get food in an evening. Again, the train station is only a few minutes away from the hotel on the bus and it was a regular enough service into London itself.

nobbyclark Jun 22, 2018 5:17 am

6th floor rooms are called Grand Slam suites, named after the title that is won for winning all five games in the annual 6 Nations tournament. These overlook the pitch and are pretty, pretty large. I once had a corner room on the 5th floor, which was also huge with a separate dining, sitting and sleeping area, as well as bathroom.

AbuCordoba Jul 17, 2018 3:36 am

Hey so I stayed here back in June, and have to say I was extremely disappointed with the hotel. The parking facilities though free are quite far from the hotel and required me to walk like 5-10 mins through a construction site. Though to note apparently there is a closer car park but because there was a stone roses concert at the time they were preparing for that week in advance and so that car park was not available. I would definitely not recommend it for say a woman to walk from the car park at night to the hotel as there was some questionable characters around at night and hence why the hotel locks its doors after 11.

The service at the hotel is extremely poor and makes ZERO recognition of platinum, I have stayed over 120 nights this years at Marriott/SPG and this has to be one of the worst stays I had overall ,from the service , to the poor breakfast, to the quality of the rooms, to the zero recognition for platinum and finally for them cocking up on attributing points to my stay and the extremely poor customer service after I left the hotel which required me to send approx. 6 emails to try to get the points accredited (to note it still has not been done, but they have issued 10,000 points as an apology for all the cock ups).

Paren Nov 25, 2018 11:07 am

Possibly one of the worst properties I've stayed at. Glad I only stayed for 1 night.

Pros:
- It was a convenient location for my meeting
- Convenient location for rugby fans
- Somewhat modernised room

Cons:
- At check in, I was informed I would have to pay for breakfast. I asked if a Platinum Premier Elite was not eligible for breakfast, and he said he 'forgot' to check the system for my status
- At check in, I was informed there were no suites available for an upgrade, though a quick search online showed suites available to purchase. Hence I received a standard room with a view of nothing but concrete walls
- I needed to print some documents off. I was informed that due to a rugby match at the weekend (keeping in mind I was there on Friday), they had put all the computers away. These are otherwise usually in reception. There is no lounge either apparently. Therefore I had to email my (somewhat sensitive) documents the reception for them to print it off for me
- Breakfast was ok, not brilliant, but at least they did a full English. However, hash browns were left for too long outside and not fresh etc.
- This is the first property I stayed at which charges for cappuccino at breakfast. Only standard tea/coffee are available with breakfast at no extra cost and even with that they don't ask you if you want it topping up etc
- F&B manager openly shouting at serving staff at breakfast in front of everyone
- WiFi in the lobby is free, but in the room it tries to charge you. I went to reception and they said I am indeed eligible for free WiFi in the room and then gave me the access code upon request, though I wish they would have given this info at check in

FarFetched1219 Feb 18, 2020 12:49 pm

Tits are optional

Originally Posted by Paren (Post 30464461)
Possibly one of the worst properties I've stayed at. Glad I only stayed for 1 night.

Pros:
- It was a convenient location for my meeting
- Convenient location for rugby fans
- Somewhat modernised room

Cons:
- At check in, I was informed I would have to pay for breakfast. I asked if a Platinum Premier Elite was not eligible for breakfast, and he said he 'forgot' to check the system for my status
- At check in, I was informed there were no suites available for an upgrade, though a quick search online showed suites available to purchase. Hence I received a standard room with a view of nothing but concrete walls
- I needed to print some documents off. I was informed that due to a rugby match at the weekend (keeping in mind I was there on Friday), they had put all the computers away. These are otherwise usually in reception. There is no lounge either apparently. Therefore I had to email my (somewhat sensitive) documents the reception for them to print it off for me
- Breakfast was ok, not brilliant, but at least they did a full English. However, hash browns were left for too long outside and not fresh etc.
- This is the first property I stayed at which charges for cappuccino at breakfast. Only standard tea/coffee are available with breakfast at no extra cost and even with that they don't ask you if you want it topping up etc
- F&B manager openly shouting at serving staff at breakfast in front of everyone
- WiFi in the lobby is free, but in the room it tries to charge you. I went to reception and they said I am indeed eligible for free WiFi in the room and then gave me the access code upon request, though I wish they would have given this info at check in

Just checked in. I've booked a few pre-pay stays for the coming months. My thoughts:
Staff seem nice. Clean. Not particularly convenient in terms of transport to central, but fine.
Had the Marriott Burger room service - it was very good and they made it Gluten Free and cooked the chips fresh for me.

Main downside: utterly, bewilderingly odd culture of non-elite recognition.
- My Tit upgrade was a "Skyline room" when there were many suites still showing on the app. To be fair I pushed for a Suite and they promptly gave me the Superior Suite. It's nice and spacious. Quite dated. One phone - in the bedroom (must be borrowing from the Moxy model Talking).
- I asked about the Lounge and was informed that they don't have one, but that it would be ok as they would give me breakfast...I enquired why there was no evening canapes or drinks in the main bar to perhaps compensate for this fact. The response seemed to suggest that elite benefits were optional. But not to worry, I could have a shiny 750 points or a breakfast instead. I initially confused this with the welcome gift, which left me a bit exasperated, but realised it was on top of it.

I wouldn't avoid this hotel if the price is right, but lack of elite recognition is definitely going to make me think twice about booking here again. Very odd.

Yerumaa Mar 13, 2024 3:38 am

This hotel will leave Marriott and become a Radisson RED later this year: https://www.businesstraveller.com/bu...-radisson-red/

nobbyclark Mar 13, 2024 8:00 am

That's a shame. Always enjoyed the suites with the pitch view.

NoY Mar 13, 2024 7:05 pm

Good riddance to the place. Dismal property with dismal service.

stuartpig Mar 14, 2024 2:28 am

Originally Posted by NoY (Post 36078240)
Good riddance to the place. Dismal property with dismal service.

I agree. I never understood why they didn’t have a lounge. It could have doubled as a VIP lounge on match days and made them a fortune. Always felt there was zero atmosphere and the hotel was just happy with the captive audience of rugby fans.