Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Declining Housekeeping to Receive Points is Becoming a Scam

Declining Housekeeping to Receive Points is Becoming a Scam

Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
What is up with so many people being in their rooms all day, when Housekeeping comes around?

Also, I wish that at my job, someone would pay me while accepting less than a tenth of the service level I am supposed to provide. It would definitely make the employee receiving the benefit lazier and more entitled.
Housekeeping starts there rounds very early. Sometimes I'm not even out of bed before I start hearing the "tap tap tap housekeeping!" down the hall.

Not all rooms require the same about of service... I'm happy being one of the lesser needy.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Housekeeping starts there rounds very early. Sometimes I'm not even out of bed before I start hearing the "tap tap tap housekeeping!" down the hall.

Not all rooms require the same about of service... I'm happy being one of the lesser needy.
Placing either the Do Not Disturb and/or the Make a Green Choice hangtag makes it so they don't tap on your door.

If you are less needy and enjoy reduced service levels, why don't you enjoy the benefit of the additional points that come with it?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Placing either the Do Not Disturb and/or the Make a Green Choice hangtag makes it so they don't tap on your door.

If you are less needy and enjoy reduced service levels, why don't you enjoy the benefit of the additional points that come with it?
Keep reading, I said down the hall. My DND sign does not stop them from making noise in the hallway.

I tend to think of people other than just myself (yes, FT blasphemy) and if foregoing the few points helps someone put food on their table, I'm ok with that. Just like with self-checkouts at stores, if I have the time I choose a checker. We each get to decide what's important to us. I'm not saying everyone needs to do this, just that it's what I do.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: LTP, PP
Ah, taking a stand against (silly little) things that are going to be shoved down our collective throats with little recourse. I too do the same with the BS 5 cent plastic bags at grocery stores, I make them put the goods right back in the cart.

BTW I used to frequently stay at the REN Waverly in ATL, with a 14 story open air lobby. Every morning at 8am one could see a parade of housekeepers starting at the 01 room corner up & down the entire hotel. Like a synchronized ballet of sorts. And they tapping could be heard inside from rooms away.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
And if you read the portion of my post that you quoted, the employer (i.e. the contractor) is the one responsible for meeting the minimum wage law and the property (the client) may very well be paying by room. I've met some workers that rush from one property to another to make as much as they can in a day. My point here is different people have different motivations (reducing costs to maximizing income to maximizing points). Most times I will forego the points and dismiss or just ask for towels if I'm in the room at the time housekeeping comes by.
Sorry if misunderstood your point. I think it was quite obvious I was talking about how the hotel pays the housekeepers. Post I was originally replying to had issue about how housekeepers are paid. While I know a few hotels use a contractor, basically every hotel I've stayed at employs them directly. The housekeeper may work for more than one hotel. Even small motels usually employ the housekeeper directly. Regardless if they work direct for hotel, or for a contractor, they are non-exempt employees and thus min. wage by the hour applies.

Bringing it back to points. I can't imagine the cost of the points are in anyway a major amount. Just seems petty compared with overall expenses. It's not like every guest, every stay, is asking for them.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Sorry if misunderstood your point. I think it was quite obvious I was talking about how the hotel pays the housekeepers. Post I was originally replying to had issue about how housekeepers are paid. While I know a few hotels use a contractor, basically every hotel I've stayed at employs them directly. The housekeeper may work for more than one hotel. Even small motels usually employ the housekeeper directly. Regardless if they work direct for hotel, or for a contractor, they are non-exempt employees and thus min. wage by the hour applies.
Our experiences may be different and that's just fine. Yes, the worker should be making at least minimum wage. But the property promoting a program that could reduce their costs is not unreasonable.

Bringing it back to points. I can't imagine the cost of the points are in anyway a major amount. Just seems petty compared with overall expenses. It's not like every guest, every stay, is asking for them.
It's not the cost of the points, but the cost of employee, whether direct hire or contract. If they get their hours cut when we use the benefit then I have no issue in passing on the small number of points and tell them to mark me as being done.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Our experiences may be different and that's just fine. Yes, the worker should be making at least minimum wage. But the property promoting a program that could reduce their costs is not unreasonable.
It's not the cost of the points, but the cost of employee, whether direct hire or contract. If they get their hours cut when we use the benefit then I have no issue in passing on the small number of points and tell them to mark me as being done.
I was meaning it's petty for some hotels to not post the points as defacto policy. It's not like those points are a large enough line item to make or break a hotel.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Ren LV this week- called before check out and asked if the points posted , they said yes, and the points were indeed there as I checked out. Another property told me the housekeepers are responsible for giving the points.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AAdvantage EXP
I've done this twice at 2 different Marriotts and I have never received the points. I submitted a missing points claim for each and for the first one they said they had no record of me asking for the Green Choice program (even though I had done so through the app). The second claim they responded and said they'd "fix it right away" and the points never posted. So I will never make this "green choice" again. Why should I bother?
Old Sep 27, 2018, 7:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by orca15
Another property told me the housekeepers are responsible for giving the points.
That's not true. The hotel has to buy the points from MAR & housekeepers don't have that access.

Cheers.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
That's not true. The hotel has to buy the points from MAR & housekeepers don't have that access.

Cheers.
However most properties the housekeeper must leave a voucher under your door. You then turn voucher in at front desk for points or restaurant/lounge for $5 or $10 food and beverage credit.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:03 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Having a similar issue at a SHS in MD. Been there three weeks in a row no points despite my complaining the following week to management. I have an upcoming engagement and am thinking of switching to a different Marriott just for spite.
Old Oct 4, 2018, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
99.8% of the time never had issues on the legacy SPG side... are people experiencing issue at legacy SPG properties as well?
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:36 am

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
I just checked out of the Aloft Munich and MAGC. Will let you know if it posts quickly. My big question is the card they left said 250 Starpoints which should equal 750 points in the new program. If I only get 250 points (83 Starpoints), I think I will just never select the option. Also I think my welcome gift was 500 Starpoints and will be 500 Marriott points, again that is a huge devaluation. I just don't understand why the new program wouldn't have just tripled what we used to get. I am fine with different brands having different welcome gifts (meaning the cheaper hotels have less). Oh well, let's see if they fix things.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:47 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by CaliguyNYC
I just checked out of the Aloft Munich and MAGC. Will let you know if it posts quickly. My big question is the card they left said 250 Starpoints which should equal 750 points in the new program. If I only get 250 points (83 Starpoints), I think I will just never select the option. Also I think my welcome gift was 500 Starpoints and will be 500 Marriott points, again that is a huge devaluation. I just don't understand why the new program wouldn't have just tripled what we used to get. I am fine with different brands having different welcome gifts (meaning the cheaper hotels have less). Oh well, let's see if they fix things.
Every hotel I've see has devalued it to 500 or 250 Marriott points - which, I agree, is so petty as to not even be worth worrying about. If I was guaranteed to get the points, I would probably still do it - but like OP I have had enough issues getting points to post that it's really not worth it for $4-6 worth of points for a three night stay. And I don't want to encourage bad behavior by ignoring non-posting points - so now I just stick to getting housekeeping.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.