Wiki Posts
Search

Courtyards: Are they worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2018, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by aaupgrade
I book CYs when it is the least expensive option for a 1-night airport stay or for 1-night stays when I do my annual drive to/from my second home as I often have a choice of FFI and CY and am usually on the road before the FFI is serving breakfast. Also, CY usually has better beds and larger rooms than FFI.
Courtyard is my first choice for one night airport stays, because they are frequently the lowest redemption value. Some of my best value from MR points comes from one-night Thursday night CY reward stays, where I can frequently spend just 10k instead of a $119 room.
Old Jun 10, 2018, 12:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I was chatting with someone recently who told me their corporate travel policy requires staying at CY's. I often find CY's are actually more expensive than a FS property and considering the lounge benefits, a CY would be significantly more. But they do strike me as the most nickel/dime brand of Marriott and not as nice as either HGI or Hyatt Place. But for their relationship with Marriott loyalists, the brand would tank.

Last edited by C17PSGR; Jun 10, 2018 at 4:31 pm
Old Jun 10, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Most of my Courtyard stays have been weekend stays at $39-$49 (plus the high tax/fees) Priceline bids. I find them to be an acceptable value. Bedding is typically comfortable, every one I've been to has a refrigerator (not sure on microwave), and room sizes are reasonable if not slightly generous. The older properties feel a bit dark and dated but not horrible. At rack rates closer to $100, probably not so great... I notice pretty low occupancy in a lot of the Courtyards I visit with those low rates. Hilton Garden Inns seem to be a lot busier on weekends.
Old Jun 11, 2018, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA MM (recovering former 1K), Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by storewanderer
Most of my Courtyard stays have been weekend stays at $39-$49 (plus the high tax/fees) Priceline bids. I find them to be an acceptable value. Bedding is typically comfortable, every one I've been to has a refrigerator (not sure on microwave), and room sizes are reasonable if not slightly generous. The older properties feel a bit dark and dated but not horrible. At rack rates closer to $100, probably not so great... I notice pretty low occupancy in a lot of the Courtyards I visit with those low rates. Hilton Garden Inns seem to be a lot busier on weekends.
No offense, but I don't consider room sizes < 300 sq. ft. to be "slightly generous". And, the towels suck (although to be fair, it has been so long since I stayed in one that maybe they figured out that half a towel isn't that much better than none).

I have routinely seen Residence Inns with better rates than neighboring Courtyards. YMMV.

To OP, my response in the US is "NO".
Old Jun 12, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by garkster
No offense, but I don't consider room sizes < 300 sq. ft. to be "slightly generous". And, the towels suck (although to be fair, it has been so long since I stayed in one that maybe they figured out that half a towel isn't that much better than none).

I have routinely seen Residence Inns with better rates than neighboring Courtyards. YMMV.

To OP, my response in the US is "NO".
The problem with RI is that it only qualified at 5 points per dollar, which meant your earnings per dollar were drastically reduced from the Courtyard. For some the best room rate and amenities of RI (free breakfast, an actual kitchen in room, etc.) is worth it but for people spending OPM that get points for personal vacations it makes them much more likely to choose SHS or CY over RI.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:12 pm

We recently stayed in the new Courtyard Wolfsburg Germany. It was absolutely the best Courtyard we`ve stayed up to now.
Modern style, awesome breakfast buffet, nice sun terrace - much better then many SPG Hotels I`ve stayed in this year.
Only disadvantage is that you have no Lounge.

Old Sep 2, 2018, 12:57 pm

Obviously if it paid out of my pocket, I will avoid all Courtyards except in Asian countries, where the standard is truly 4-5 star hotel.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:35 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Marriott/Hilton Gold, AMX-Plat, Global Entry
I'll start by saying my # 1 priority is to be close to where I need to be in the morning - I'll stay with any of the major brands (or even local boutique hotels).

That said, if there's a good Courtyard near where I am going, I'm fine with that. In the morning, I like a good Americano and, while it's not my favorite, I know I can go downstairs to a CY and get an Americano without having to go hunt.

Moreover, I rarely eat at hotels. I'd much rather a good local restaurant.
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond; Bonvoy Titanium
Courtyards often have balconies or patios with sliding glass doors overlooking the pool area (and/or the "Courtyard" with the obligatory fire pit). This is a MAJOR incentive to choose such a property when I can find it.

Last edited by The Tradition; Sep 4, 2018 at 1:23 pm
Old Sep 2, 2018, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anybody stayed since the breakfast benefit kicked in at Courtyards? Just a credit but still the Bistro crappy breakfast items?
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
I had a few Courtyard stays this August as I was touring the American West and Courtyards are generally the best hotel you will find in some of these towns (Page, AZ, Flagstaff, AZ, ...)

Curiously the only hotel where I had to fight for my breakfast benefit was the last hotel of my trip, the Courtyard Los Angeles Torrance South Bay (I still had my rental car and wasn‘t going to pay 40$ a night for parking at either of the LAX properties). It‘s been a few years since I last had breakfast at an American Courtyard but I wasn‘t disappointed. The Lemon Ricotta pancakes were absolutely awesome. The balanced breakfast sandwich were ok and I believe they must have a cook now since they also are able to make two eggs any style.
Old Sep 2, 2018, 11:57 pm

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by GT80
We recently stayed in the new Courtyard Wolfsburg Germany. It was absolutely the best Courtyard we`ve stayed up to now.
Modern style, awesome breakfast buffet, nice sun terrace - much better then many SPG Hotels I`ve stayed in this year.
Only disadvantage is that you have no Lounge.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWKl7sIGIAI
The same I can say for Courtyard Edinburgh City, brand new, historical building in the very center of the city, good breakfast and smiling staff !
nequine likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 9:28 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Seems like most Courtyard outside of the US offer breakfast or have Executive Lounge. I have a couple of stays coming up in Asia and the hotels all look quite nice. You might even mistaken the lobby for a FS Marriott.

The newly built or refurb Courtyards in the US are nice, but I usually avoid because breakfast was not included.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by SP03
Seems like most Courtyard outside of the US offer breakfast or have Executive Lounge. I have a couple of stays coming up in Asia and the hotels all look quite nice. You might even mistaken the lobby for a FS Marriott.

The newly built or refurb Courtyards in the US are nice, but I usually avoid because breakfast was not included.
A # of CYs in Asia have an exec lounge, but not really rest of world. Also, post 8/18/18 Plats get $10 daily credit which can be used for food or drink at CYs US & ROW.

Cheers.
Old Sep 4, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond; Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Baze
Anybody stayed since the breakfast benefit kicked in at Courtyards? Just a credit but still the Bistro crappy breakfast items?
I like the Bistro breakfast sandwich. It's much better than a fast food breakfast sandwich. Nice bun, fresh eggs, cheese, applewood smoked bacon, arugula, and avocado. Served with a mixed fruit bowl. What's crappy about that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.