Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Tokyo or Ritz Carlton Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Question Westin Tokyo or Ritz Carlton Tokyo?

I'm an SPG Gold and have matched Marriott Gold Elite status from my credit card. To the best of my knowledge, I will remain so when the merge occurs in August.

My wife and I are heading to Tokyo for 4 days in September and I'm currently booked in the Westin Tokyo for 80,000 SPG points. I started looking at Marriott hotels in the area and the Ritz Carlton is available for (an SPG rate) 23,333 per night. In other words, only 3,333 SPG points per night more than the Westin. Comparatively, the Westin's nightly rate is about US$202 and the Ritz's is about US$550.

It seems like a no-brainer to me that, if I wanted more bang for the buck at a nicer property, the Ritz would be the way to go.

Normally, I'd consider lounge access an added bonus, but as an SPG gold, I wouldn't get that at the Westin anyhow and as of August, as a merged Marriott Gold, I will no longer receive lounge access at any Marriott going forward, let alone a Ritz (correct me if I'm wrong).

Once downside would be the increased cost of restaurant meals at the Ritz vs. Westin and since breakfast isn't included, that's certainly a consideration for us.

So, aside from the obvious delta in value between the two properties, am I missing any post-merger that would favour one over the other?

Thanks.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd go for the RC. If you're concerned about breakfast, my suggestion would be to do it once or twice in the hotel, when you're really hungry and planning to skip lunch, and then on other days find a cafe with good pastries and coffee. For example, there's a very good bakery in Tokyo Station that also has excellent coffee. There are also convenience stores and fast food places all over central Tokyo. You might also want to do breakfast one morning at the fish market if it's still operating as before.
BradnerBoy likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 11:57 am

They are not even close. Take the RC, breakfast cost difference probably is less than $15, and it is a lot better.
BradnerBoy likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
They are not even in the same league. RC is in a very good location, depends on what you are looking for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.