Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin/Laguna Nusa Dua - beach access

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2018, 6:34 pm
Original Poster

Please delete if not allowed as I'm cross-posting this from the Asia group where I'm not getting a response.

Thinking of booking the Westin or Laguna Nusa Dua and I'm wondering:

1. Can I walk to the beach?

2. If yes, can I walk to the beach at say 5 or 6 am to catch the sunrise?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 31, 2018, 7:23 pm

Yes and yes.Both are right on the beach. No limit to stay/sit/lay on the beach whenever you want.
Originally Posted by t1nt1n
Please delete if not allowed as I'm cross-posting this from the Asia group where I'm not getting a response.

Thinking of booking the Westin or Laguna Nusa Dua and I'm wondering:

1. Can I walk to the beach?

2. If yes, can I walk to the beach at say 5 or 6 am to catch the sunrise?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 31, 2018, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

When you say "no limit" are you implying that it's a private/controlled beach?

Thanks red star!
Old May 31, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
When you say "no limit" are you implying that it's a private/controlled beach?

Thanks red star!
- no, beach is public. One can walk along the walkway passing different hotels.
Note that at low tide the ocean recedes like 300 yard back - not very pretty but this is typical for Nusa Dua.
Also, too many people live on the island - do not expect crystal clear water either.
Old May 31, 2018, 8:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alex_I
- no, beach is public. One can walk along the walkway passing different hotels.
Note that at low tide the ocean recedes like 300 yard back - not very pretty but this is typical for Nusa Dua.
Also, too many people live on the island - do not expect crystal clear water either.
Just wanting to see the sunrise; it'll be pretty dark and I'd be walking back to the hotel soon after the sun is up so the lack of crystal clear water shouldn't be much of an issue.

Thanks!
Old May 31, 2018, 10:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
From both hotels, you just walk across the property to get to the beach, although there is the sidewalk path that must serve as the official boundary. I've walked along the beach between the Laguna and the Grand Hyatt. Along the way, there were a couple local very informal food places on the beach and a bunch of stands were people sold cheap souvenirs etc. Some of the hotel restaurants have outdoor seating overlooking the beach.

Although the beach itself is public property, there's no easy public access as the beach resorts in this area of Nusa Dua are essentially in a compound with no free parking or convenient public transportation. The Laguna has a guardpost at the road entering the property and the Westin has a similar arrangement. [There's a temple located on the boundary between these hotels, so I don't think local public access is totally forbidden.] IIRC there are also some hotel cabana type thingies on the beach, available for rent by hotel guests and clearly provided/staffed by the hotel. You won't generally see crowds of people on the beach who aren't hotel guests, but I think there might be some local festivals that involve everyone going to the beach on a few special days.
Old Jun 1, 2018, 12:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Although the beach itself is public property, there's no easy public access as the beach resorts in this area of Nusa Dua are essentially in a compound with no free parking or convenient public transportation. The Laguna has a guardpost at the road entering the property and the Westin has a similar arrangement. [There's a temple located on the boundary between these hotels, so I don't think local public access is totally forbidden.] IIRC there are also some hotel cabana type thingies on the beach, available for rent by hotel guests and clearly provided/staffed by the hotel. You won't generally see crowds of people on the beach who aren't hotel guests, but I think there might be some local festivals that involve everyone going to the beach on a few special days.
So if I wanted to I can just camp out in the cabana the whole night...?
Old Jun 1, 2018, 2:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...thread-15.html
Old Jun 1, 2018, 4:25 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by Alex_I
It's not just the water which is not clean, it's the beach as well. Particularly at 5am or 6am. I was there last month and there is a lot of trash floating ashore from the sea. Staff from different hotels along the beach clean up early morning so if you go to the beach at 10am it will look great, and they do some cleaning throughout the day as well so at 4pm it's not that bad. However if you get a few hours without anybody cleaning (like 10pm to 5am), by then the beach is filled with trash.

I enjoy a morning walk on the beach but in Nusa Dua it was not as great as some other destinations.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Terry. I saw that but my googlefu wasn't good enough!

Originally Posted by escape4
I enjoy a morning walk on the beach but in Nusa Dua it was not as great as some other destinations.
Got it! Unfortunately it's the only SPG property that's right on the eastern coast so beggars can't be choosers. But thanks for clarifying this!
Old Jun 3, 2018, 7:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Got it! Unfortunately it's the only SPG property that's right on the eastern coast so beggars can't be choosers. But thanks for clarifying this!
HUH? The Westin and the Laguna are two separate Starwood properties. They're next door to each other (the easiest way from one to the other is to walk along the beach) but they don't even seem to share any facilities. AFAIK you can't even do a room charge for F&B or gift shop items at the neighboring hotel.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
HUH? The Westin and the Laguna are two separate Starwood properties. They're next door to each other (the easiest way from one to the other is to walk along the beach) but they don't even seem to share any facilities. AFAIK you can't even do a room charge for F&B or gift shop items at the neighboring hotel.
That doesn't surprise me and yes, I'm aware they're two separate properties. Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, sorry. I finally understood your confusion. I should've said "those two are the only SPG properties on the eastern coast" instead of "it's the only one"... Cheers.

Last edited by t1nt1n; Jun 3, 2018 at 8:24 pm Reason: Clarification.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:34 pm

Programs: HH Dia;SPG Plat;Marriott Plat;GHA Black

well, there is the St Regis which is still on the same area. Just further down south.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.