Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Delta Hotels of Kelowna BC have added a resort fee!

The Delta Hotels of Kelowna BC have added a resort fee!

Old May 29, 18, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Chairman's, Hertz Au+ , IHG Au, Hyatt, Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Pt & Life Au, Accor Ag
Thumbs down The Delta Hotels of Kelowna BC have added a resort fee!

Both the Grand Okanagan and the Royal Private Residence Club have added an RF of C$20 per night + GST & PST! Which is ridiculous because they are the most expensive hotels in town @ ~C$400 and C$800 a night all-in in summer, which is high season! It even applies to new Rewards bookings!
Old May 29, 18, 12:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
What does the resort fee include?

Cheers.
Old May 30, 18, 7:49 am

Programs: Marriott LTPP, UA Silver (via Marriott), WN CP, Choice Platinum
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
What does the resort fee include?

Cheers.
I definitely understand your question, Sharon, but (respectfully) who cares? Resort fees - without exception - are an unconscionable money grab and should be disclosed early and often in the booking process rather than as a somewhat-hidden charge on the final page before confirming. If people can't stomach the price of the hotel with the resort fee included to begin with (AKA a higher rate), then either those people need to stay somewhere else, or the hotel needs to figure out how to cut costs to bring rates in line with similar properties if they are having low occupancy issues.

I've personally stopped staying at many hotels that I used to frequent because of this abhorrent practice.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 30, 18, 9:38 am

Thanks for the heads up! I'll definitely be adding these hotels to my AVOID list.

Much like Carpboy823, I give my business to hotels which don't charge such bull* fees. The $20/nt won't make any appreciable difference to my wallet, rather I avoid these places on principle.
Old May 30, 18, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Carpboy823 View Post
Resort fees - without exception - are an unconscionable money grab and should be disclosed early and often in the booking process rather than as a somewhat-hidden charge on the final page before confirming.
For the Grand Okanagan it appears in a blue box at the top of the room/rates page.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 30, 18, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Carpboy823 View Post
I definitely understand your question, Sharon, but (respectfully) who cares?
I asked the question because someone who is considering the place, even with a resort fee, might like to know what it includes at this property.

The topic in general of resort fees is for a different thread - do we have one on it? I seem to recall we had one or discussed it, or maybe the topic just came up in general in some property threads that have them.

Cheers.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 30, 18, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock View Post
I asked the question because someone who is considering the place, even with a resort fee, might like to know what it includes at this property.
I respect what you're aiming for, but frankly I have yet to see a resort fee that included anything at all that wasn't either:
  • irrelevant (i.e free local or 1-800 calls)
  • reasonably expected to be included at any decent hotel (newspapers, gym access, etc.)
  • included as part of elite status benefits (high-speed internet, etc.)
So the only reason to know what you are supposedly buying with the resort fee is to arrive armed with some reasoning why the fee should be waived...

Thanks to the OP for pointing out which hotels are to be avoided in Kelowna.
Brendan likes this.
Old May 30, 18, 4:23 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Oof, this is shortsighted. airbnb here i come next time I'm enroute to revvie. this is like the decades of lousy services cabs provided in cities like SF and NY, except the disruptor is already here and obvious...
Brendan likes this.
Old May 30, 18, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Chairman's, Hertz Au+ , IHG Au, Hyatt, Honors Au (Amex), Marriott Pt & Life Au, Accor Ag
To answer SkiAdcock's question, the blue box mentioned by 3Cforme says,
  • " Please note – A daily resort fee of CAD 20 will be added to the room rate and includes resort activities, bicycles and more!".
I agree with everybody's despising of resort fees above. On another note, the Grand Okanagan is Old Cat. 7/ New 5 (remains 35K) while the Royal Private RC is Old Cat. 8/ New 6 (increasing from 40K to 50K.) Award rooms at the RPRC are 2-Bedroom Villa Suites ! A great deal in summer! Too bad they've chosen to mar it with a resort fee and a C$24 a night parking fee! But there is a city garage across the street with free parking at night & on weekends and C$4 a day Mon.--Fri.!

Last edited by Brendan; Jul 26, 18 at 2:36 pm Reason: New categories/ points prices!
Old May 30, 18, 7:10 pm
Original Poster

I just spoke to Scott (am I allowed to post his first name here?) at the switchboard of these twin hotels. He said that people who have already reserved will not pay the RF . He did not know/ remember when the RF was announced, but he says it will be charged on stays booked on or after June 1st. So anybody who thinks they might want to stay there soon should book tonight or tomorrow!
BTW, I booked my stay in December for the Rock the Lake Music Festival of August 10--12. I'm waiting to see all the new category assignments before I decide whether to shoot my whole wad of 160K MR points for 5 nights!
Finally, I should post that Fairmont & Hyatt exempt award stays from their RFs, but Marriott does not !

Last edited by Brendan; Jul 26, 18 at 2:38 pm
Old May 31, 18, 11:57 am

Thanks for the update on the resort fees. If you do stay there, please post what exactly "resort activities, bicycles & more!" includes. Doesn't surprise me that bookings prior to the RF being implemented w/o RF; Marriott's usually been pretty good about that. Hope the free parking across the street is true, as that would help avoid some of the parking fees.

Cheers.
Old Jul 26, 18, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
I just spoke to Scott (am I allowed to post his first name here?) at the switchboard of these twin hotels. He said that people who have already reserved will not pay the RF . He did not know/ remember when the RF was announced, but he says it will be charged on stays from June 1 on. So anybody who thinks they might want to stay there soon should book tonight or tomorrow!
BTW, I booked my stay in January for the Rock the Lake Music Festival this August. I'm waiting to see all the new category assignments before I decide whether to shoot my whole wad of 160K MR points for 5 nights!
Finally, I should post that Fairmont & Hyatt exempt award stays from their RFs, but Marriott does not !
Hey we're planning a trip to Kelowna the weekend of the festival - trying to decide if I should blow my points on the Residences or just at the Delta hotel.

We only have two nights, and will likely be arriving quite late on Friday evening.

Also, I have Gold status - what benefits are there at both hotels for Gold?
Old Jul 26, 18, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Hello, Pokee! Too bad you'll be there only for Saturday's lineup. I have decided to stay at the Ogopogobedandbreakfast.ca @C$210 a night all-in (single discount price) 4 blocks north along the waterfront because my friends are unavailable to join me. I've decided to save my MR points for later, because the RPRC feels like overkill when staying alone..
The RPRC costs 40K points per night and was sold out on points until I cancelled my res a few days ago. If you want it, grab it fast! You'll get a 2 BR Villa/ Apartment with full kitchen there, which is great when shared by 3 or 4 persons in your party. It's also awesome for impressing a date/ lover ! Well worth the extra 5K MR per night!
OTOH, rooms at the Delta Ontonagon next door are very nice, typically upscale hotel rooms. Plenty of points availability.
I have never stayed there before, so I know nothing of Gold benefits.

In conclusion, I would love to meet you while we're all there. You may PM me to request my phone number.
Old Jul 26, 18, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
Hello, Pokee! Too bad you'll be there only for Saturday's lineup. I have decided to stay at the Ogopogobedandbreakfast.ca @C$210 a night all-in (single discount price) 4 blocks north along the waterfront because my friends are unavailable to join me. I've decided to save my MR points for later, because the RPRC feels like overkill when staying alone..
The RPRC costs 40K points per night and was sold out on points until I cancelled my res a few days ago. If you want it, grab it fast! You'll get a 2 BR Villa/ Apartment with full kitchen there, which is great when shared by 3 or 4 persons in your party. It's also awesome for impressing a date/ lover ! Well worth the extra 5K MR per night!
OTOH, rooms at the Delta Ontonagon next door are very nice, typically upscale hotel rooms. Plenty of points availability.
I have never stayed there before, so I know nothing of Gold benefits.

In conclusion, I would love to meet you while we're all there. You may PM me to request my phone number.
Thanks so much for the info! We're still not sure if we're going the weekend of the 11th or the 18th. I told my friend about the festival, but she isn't into that music (she'd much rather see the Gypsy Kings playing over at the Mission Hill winery, but that's sold out)! I'll PM you if we decide to go! Looks like there's a lot going on that weekend!
Brendan likes this.
Old Jul 26, 18, 11:45 pm
Original Poster

Also on Aug. 10--12, Sun Peaks BC has its annual Retro Weekend of Cover Bands, which is free. But in Kelowna, you must pay for a ticket because all the bands are the real original thing!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: