Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott's Customer Service : General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott's Customer Service : General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by RAPC
Haven't had to deal with CS since the end of Starwood, but my recent experiences have been poor to say the least.

I'm currently trying to have the 4,000 bonus points from a stay last month credit. The stay itself credited, but the bonus 4,000 points as part of the rate didn't. A couple of calls to CS had both agents insisting that this was a property issue and that I would have to contact them myself. They both refused to get involved and said that they couldn't. I did speak to the property in question, who laughed when I told them as they apparently have had a number of customers sent in their direction by CS. It wasn't something that the property could sort, so back to CS. 3rd call got a similar response, with the agent refusing to help and unwilling to escalate. I was told bluntly that the property was wrong and that again, *I* would need to speak to them. I pushed them further and the agent finally told me to submit a missing stay claim via the web form. Currently at over 1 week and counting, waiting for a response.

This would have been a simple thing to sort in the past, so things have definitely taken a big step back. I feel for anyone with more complex issues that need assistance, because if they get the same teams that I have been getting, then they have zero chance of getting any help.
I have dealt with this issue several times in the past. Every single time, it was the hotel's issue. Basically, the bonus points included in the room rate were supposed to be issued by the hotel, and the hotel either hadn't gotten around to issuing those points yet, or pretended like they didn't understand what was going on. Some hotels only issue bonus points once or twice a month in batch, and they aren't willing to make exceptions to that.

So I don't bother to call Marriott customer service for this anymore. I deal directly with the hotel on these matters. If one person at the hotel gives me the run around, then I talk with someone else. But more often than not, several people have been calling the hotel asking where their bonus points are. So the person answering the phone at the front desk knows exactly what I am referring to. Sometimes, I do end up talking to a manager about it.

Hope it works out for you.

Edited to add: This has probably happened to me at least 15 - 20 times. Again, every time, it ended up being the hotel's issue. Chasing after bonus points as part of the room rate, or for declining maid service is a big pain!

Last edited by Jaunts; Apr 9, 2019 at 6:48 pm
Old Apr 9, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
Here's my $0.02, for what it's worth.

I just called 800-399-4229 from my home phone. The computer thanked me by name and then thanked me for calling the titanium reservation line (even though I'm a lowly plat, but hey, I won't complain). I told the computer I wanted reservations, and within 2 minutes I was talking to a very nice lady with a southern US accent. Now, she wasn't particularly effective or knowledgeable, and had to put me on hold several times to consult with others, but she was extremely pleasant and was obviously invested in helping me (no sarcasm there).
Old Apr 9, 2019, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
Here's my $0.02, for what it's worth.

I just called 800-399-4229 from my home phone. The computer thanked me by name and then thanked me for calling the titanium reservation line (even though I'm a lowly plat, but hey, I won't complain). I told the computer I wanted reservations, and within 2 minutes I was talking to a very nice lady with a southern US accent. Now, she wasn't particularly effective or knowledgeable, and had to put me on hold several times to consult with others, but she was extremely pleasant and was obviously invested in helping me (no sarcasm there).
That is typical of my experience most of the time as well. However, there are situations where putting me on hold and asking a supervisor doesn't always solve the problem. When the issue has to be escalated, that can take a really long time.

I do think that most of the Marriott customer service reps really want to help. They aren't always given the resources they need to do so, though.
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:29 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
19 minutes 40 second phone call to attach a certificate to upcoming reservation.

She tried and tried. She typed and typed. She said they have to try this repeatedly.

19 minutes 40 seconds to attach a certificate...
Old Apr 11, 2019, 9:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by MarTN
19 minutes 40 second phone call to attach a certificate to upcoming reservation.

She tried and tried. She typed and typed. She said they have to try this repeatedly.

19 minutes 40 seconds to attach a certificate...
By comparison, I have no status with American Airlines and called the general number to change a booking I had made through American's website. I was connected within three minutes to an agent, who took about five minutes to make the change and even waived the fee.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 8:40 am

Programs: Marriott/Bonvoy Titanium Elite, Hilton Silver, Choice Hotels, IHG, UA, DL, BA, AA
Angry System down AGAIN?

Seems like the past few times I've called the system is down or I've been put on hold for 30+ minutes. Is it just me or is this still part of the "new and improved"?
Old Apr 18, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
Well thumbs up to how speedy Christophe at customer services sorted out my incorrect points for a recent stay. Sent in the email via the website at 17.52 and by 18.30 my points had been adjusted. The automated email said I wouldn't hear back for 7-10 days so very impressed at how long it did take!
Old Apr 18, 2019, 6:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Now taking 8 days to get a reaponse to CS email. Not good enough. I have no status basically w Hilton and they have real time chat that solved an issue for me...
Old Apr 19, 2019, 1:26 am

The constant need for me to always calculate, check and audit my stay & point credits is taking its toll on me. I consider myself a busy man and have no time for this.
But I simply have no trust that Marriott will get it right. What a dilemma.
SpeedRicer and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Interesting counter-point for those of you still thinking about departing Marriott...still a lowly Discoverist (entry level tier w/Hyatt), had to send in a missing stay request (it was a "special" property that I'm not surprised didn't post, no big deal, was on a freebie promo night). Filled the form online - night posted the next day, along with a confirmation email that it did. With the 1,000 promo points as well (now THAT's what a generous promo looks like).
Old Apr 19, 2019, 3:06 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
From my perspective the service is continuing to worsen. I sent an email to the customer service 5 days ago after logging in. Not a response other than the immediate one. I honestly doubt I will get a response. The cock-up continues.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 6:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I called Hyatt to fix something - I started speaking as if to automated machine. Imagine my surprise when an actual human answered. She fixed nights, points and promo points all at once immediately on phone. My acct updated while talking to her.

Marriott? 8 days to get a response for me to email a different email address about a missing stay.

I still prefer Marriott's collection of properties and on property experience but Hyatt CS far far far superior. They are able to fix problems immediately.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:29 am

Here is another. These incidents are becoming all too frequent.
Signed up for the quarterly double points promo where I would get double points from the SECOND stay onwards during the period.
Had planned a long, relatively expensive stay coming up, and so to maximize this promo, I did a quick one-night stay before the long stay so that the second (more expensive) stay would be eligible for double points.

But as fate would have it, the first stay did not post properly (missing stay). I waited patiently but the stay never credited. Wanted to file for missing stay, but the site told me I needed to wait at least 10 days. And during this time, I completed my second (more expensive) stay... which got credited in two days time. When I finally submitted the missing stay claim for the first (one night) stay, they credited it within a day, but with a stay date posted as the day in which the missing stay credit got manually posted. This effectively made this (one night) stay the SECOND stay, incorrectly earning me much fewer points that I had planned for.

Don't even know how to go about fixing this - so I emailed one of the lurkers several days back and am waiting to hear back. I didn't even bother with the customer service hotline this time as I can only imagine how long I would need to invest just to explain my situation to them to have them comprehend it. Wish me luck!
Old Apr 22, 2019, 9:44 am
Company Representative, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by jaejaez
...I emailed one of the lurkers several days back and am waiting to hear back...
We haven't received any emails from you the past few days, so you may want to try again to send it to [email protected].
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker
We haven't received any emails from you the past few days, so you may want to try again to send it to [email protected].
Thank you William for the quick resolution!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.