Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott's Customer Service : General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott's Customer Service : General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2019, 8:11 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by demkr
I was just treated very rudely by Titanium support. They don't even let you finish speaking before they start their shpeel.

Before this merger, if I made a mistake while booking I would be able to call CS and have them make a change no questions asked, regardless of the type of reservation it was.

I booked a non-refundable reservation today and accidentally chose the wrong room type before booking. In fact, I wanted to upgrade the room type. I call in explaining the situation. The first comment I get from the CS agent is in a very angry tone. "YOU ARE NOT GOING TO MAKE ME CANCEL THIS RESERVATION." I was flabbergasted by the anger. I said "Excuse me, I don't think I heard you correctly?" She said "oh, I'm just reading the rules of your reservation. I don't make the rules, I just read them." Refused to even touch it.

Are they really this strict now? Are things really this bad over there that they are openly rude and obnoxious to their callers? I wasn't asking her to cancel the reservation, I was asking her if I could possibly upgrade the room type after making an error. I couldn't even get that much out until she started reading the rules to me monotone.

Is it worth calling in again and getting a more friendly agent, or am I going to be out of luck?
I've had a few agents like that. It is baffling how they are even still in a job, and that apparently no one at Marriott cares that this is how they are treating customers. It makes calling airlines feel like a real treat.

And what's worse is, I occasionally call and can immediately tell when I have a legacy SPG agent on the phone because they are so warm and helpful and have basic customer service skills. But since the SPG and MR phone lines were merged into the one Bonvoy number, it's going to be increasingly hard to find those agents.
demkr, KRSW and flyino07 like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 9:03 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by margarita girl

I think for that kind of change, you should be calling the hotel anyhow. Good luck.
Shows what I know. I definitely should've done that first, since they were so friendly about the whole thing and resolved my problem within a minute. It's really sad that the agent just couldn't tell me to contact them.

Glad this ended well. Huge props to the front desk staff for their kindness.
margarita girl and KRSW like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 10:09 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, WN A-List Preferred, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President's Circle
Finally called today to inquire if they would consider a courtesy upgrade to Lifetime Titanium (didn't know about the 750 nights promo and fell a couple short - posted in another thread). I was as nice and self-deprecating as possible. The phone rep could not have been less interested or invested. Robotically told me he'd escalate my request and "you'll hear from someone soon." Me: OK, can you tell me where you're escalating it to, in case I need to call back? Him: Account services. Me: OK, thanks. Do you have any idea when I might hear from someone? Him: Three to five business days. Me: OK, thanks. Is there anything else you need from me? Him: Nope.
Allrighty, then. I have zero confidence my request was submitted, never mind escalated. I seriously got a million times better service calling T-Mobile with a much more challenging issue. Really disappointed in this new Marriott way.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
On February 13 I emailed Marriott customer service to request a folio for a stay. On March 1, I received the following:

Dear XXX

Thank you for contacting Marriott Bonvoy regarding your inquiry. I am happy to help.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay in replying to you. We have just received your message and we regret any inconvenience this delay may have caused. In order to further assist you, I will require more information. If you could, please reply to this email with the full name of the hotel, your stay dates, & the name on the reservation.

XXX, we appreciate your loyalty as a Titanium Elite member.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by ckendall
On February 13 I emailed Marriott customer service to request a folio for a stay. On March 1, I received the following:

Dear XXX

Thank you for contacting Marriott Bonvoy regarding your inquiry. I am happy to help.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay in replying to you. We have just received your message and we regret any inconvenience this delay may have caused. In order to further assist you, I will require more information. If you could, please reply to this email with the full name of the hotel, your stay dates, & the name on the reservation.

XXX, we appreciate your loyalty as a Titanium Elite member.
I think that's how they're justifying taking a long time to resolve something by pretending they never received the information from the customers and thus resets the clock on "service recovery" which pads their internal net promoter scores.
KRSW likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Tit LTP
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
I think that's how they're justifying taking a long time to resolve something by pretending they never received the information from the customers and thus resets the clock on "service recovery" which pads their internal net promoter scores.
And of course the subject line of the message was precisely the name of the hotel and my name was kind of obvious in that they were emailing me. But I am sure this is all part of some "BRILLIANT" service process.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2019, 2:27 pm

Programs: IHG Spire, Marriott
Man, I'm on the phone with cs since I'm having problems with my account (status not reflecting), the agent doesn't even know the nights needed to achieve Plat!
'Platinum is way up there, like 125 stays or something' was his exact words.

I feel like the agent talking to a customer
Old Mar 6, 2019, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by miloworld
Man, I'm on the phone with cs since I'm having problems with my account (status not reflecting), the agent doesn't even know the nights needed to achieve Plat!
'Platinum is way up there, like 125 stays or something' was his exact words.

I feel like the agent talking to a customer
I feel like I've been talking to Marriott Customer Care more than my +1 in the last three weeks.
miloworld likes this.
Old Mar 6, 2019, 2:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by ckendall
And of course the subject line of the message was precisely the name of the hotel and my name was kind of obvious in that they were emailing me. But I am sure this is all part of some "BRILLIANT" service process.
It's what companies do when declaring "support bankruptcy" - they did this a few months ago. It doesn't matter what they ask you, they just want 80% of people to ignore the email and they will close off the issues knowing full well they've not been solved. Reply and you stand a chance of them having few enough open queries to invest a few minutes on your issue.
KRSW likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:12 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Just received an email from Marriott Rewards asking me to participate in a survey about my experience with Marriott Rewards CS since I contact them "recently"

I was quite puzzled as I am pretty sure didnt contact Marriott Rewards or Bonvoy cs this year (other than my ambassador)

Then I saw the note on the bottom of the email said :
This survey invitation will expire on December 5, 2018.

Then I realised the contact the email mention was for October 2018 about missing stays

Only few months late 🤣
margarita girl and KRSW like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Took almost 2 weeks to get a response regarding how their website gives various errors when trying to book more often than not, and that I went and booked my stay at Hilton because I couldn't get the Marriott site to work.

Useless response saying to try a different link, which just went to the loyalty page and has no impact on the booking links on the site.

I did get a survey a day after and let them know about their crap service response.
KRSW likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
Not impressed with Titanium Customer service either. Had a stay at a Sheraton in February where I wasn't offered the choice of welcome gift (points, breakfast in restaurant, or amenity). I was point blank told I would receive points, I requested the restaurant breakfast, which was denied saying that I already had club access. A few more tries to get the breakfast vouchers stating it was a welcome welcome gift option were denied, I finally went up to the room.

I made the $100 welcome gift guarantee claim through the Marriott App during the stay. It was passed onto the manager, who swiftly denied the claim. I rebutted showing the Marriott terms, again denied.

After the stay, I filed a case with Marriott titanium support. They said I would receive an email follow up. A week later I received no response, so I DM'd Marriott on twitter. They said the case was closed, no response. They reopened the case, 9 days later I called in, guess what, closed again by the hotel with no response. The rep called the hotel, who responded that they don't need to offer a breakfast welcome gift if the lounge is open. It was then escalated to "Elite Services", who again called the hotel, the answer this time was that since the lounge was open, then didn't have vouchers "available". Rather than reading the policy and enforcing it, the reps choose to keep calling the hotel who chooses to deny the guaranteed benefit.

$100 in compensation is one thing if you can claim it easily, but if it takes 2 emails, 3 phone calls and a over an hour spent on the phone, the compensation should be a lot higher.

What next, email the CEO?
EuropeanPete and KRSW like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:49 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by Reid
Not impressed with Titanium Customer service either. Had a stay at a Sheraton in February where I wasn't offered the choice of welcome gift (points, breakfast in restaurant, or amenity).
Please name this rogue property so we can avoid staying there.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 10:52 am

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Why does everything these days need to be a struggle with Marriott. These days my expectations are at an all time low. I am actually positively surprised when I get a response from an email query. I am still wondering how this all happened. Its not like Starwood wasn't making money.
Mustang Sally, UA-NYC and KRSW like this.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by demkr
I was just treated very rudely by Titanium support. They don't even let you finish speaking before they start their shpeel.

Before this merger, if I made a mistake while booking I would be able to call CS and have them make a change no questions asked, regardless of the type of reservation it was.

I booked a non-refundable reservation today and accidentally chose the wrong room type before booking. In fact, I wanted to upgrade the room type. I call in explaining the situation. The first comment I get from the CS agent is in a very angry tone. "YOU ARE NOT GOING TO MAKE ME CANCEL THIS RESERVATION." I was flabbergasted by the anger. I said "Excuse me, I don't think I heard you correctly?" She said "oh, I'm just reading the rules of your reservation. I don't make the rules, I just read them." Refused to even touch it.

Are they really this strict now? Are things really this bad over there that they are openly rude and obnoxious to their callers? I wasn't asking her to cancel the reservation, I was asking her if I could possibly upgrade the room type after making an error. I couldn't even get that much out until she started reading the rules to me monotone.

Is it worth calling in again and getting a more friendly agent, or am I going to be out of luck?
Recently I've been seeing nonrefundable rates that specify "no changes after 24 hours" which to me implies that the reservation can be changed or cancelled within 24 hours. If this was true for your rate, the phone agent should have seen it instantly (and should also have known to look for this in the terms when you called).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.