Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott's Customer Service : General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott's Customer Service : General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:53 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Sulley
I'm LTPP and have been on hold with the platinum line for close to 30 minutes.

The system always says that it doesn't recognize the number I'm calling from, even though it's in my profile... le sigh
I had the same problem for a while and ended up removing my number from my profile and re-adding it, and it seemed to help. It was the same number but somehow didn't correctly register.

That said, even with my number recognized as a PP, the CSRs are still usually totally useless when I call, but at least I don't wait on hold first.
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:02 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Does Marriott still answer customer service emails?

Had a reservation question for Marriott Bonvoy via web contact form, still no response after 4 days, so I cancelled my reservation.
i had responses take weeks after the bungled SPG merger, but 6 months later they still don't respond? Is this the new normal at Marriott? What are other people experiencing?
Oh well, I guess expecting a response from customer service within 2-3 days are just over-entitled elites making "noise around the edges"....
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by Fyd
Had a reservation question for Marriott Bonvoy via web contact form, still no response after 4 days, so I cancelled my reservation.
i had responses take weeks after the bungled SPG merger, but 6 months later they still don't respond? Is this the new normal at Marriott? What are other people experiencing?
Oh well, I guess expecting a response from customer service within 2-3 days are just over-entitled elites making "noise around the edges"....
Don't expect any responses. I have filed multiple case numbers on various issues, both electronically and via live CSR, since last August and haven't received a single response yet...
Old Feb 25, 2019, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by Fyd
Maybe it’s just me, but why would you email about a reservation question unless it’s a direct email to the property? Phone call is the best way to go, and by that directly to the property because apparently no one can get through on the phone to Marriott
Old Feb 25, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don't think its that their customer service is bad at this point... it is just purely non-existant.
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Exclamation Hotels say they never receive mobile check in app information

I’ve started asking the front desk employees if they receive the arrival time or late check out info from the mobile check in app.

Every time they say NO and usually roll their eyes.

Bonvoy is creating a lot of frustrating situations. Either pass the info onto the properties or change the app!
Old Feb 26, 2019, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by MarTN
I’ve started asking the front desk employees if they receive the arrival time or late check out info from the mobile check in app.

Every time they say NO and usually roll their eyes.

Bonvoy is creating a lot of frustrating situations. Either pass the info onto the properties or change the app!
There are a lot of grey areas here. I would not expect the FDCs to get an affirmative notice regarding OLCI, but it would be nice if they did. I do expect IT to be passing some indication on to the properties in some form to advise them of your efforts to inform them of your intent to arrive and any special needs. So, my guess is, there is some change to the reservation that the FDC is expected to be monitoring that indicates OLCI has been completed and display any comments submitted by the guest. Marriott has demonstrated time and time again that training is very lacking (from their corporate staff to FDCs) and matching process to marketed benefits does not seem to be a concern and leaving the customer in the dark is acceptable behaviour from the very top on down. The phrase "too big to fail" seems to be the guiding principle within Marriott and all their domains.
Old Feb 27, 2019, 1:42 am
Fyd

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, IHG Plat Amb, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by myperks

Maybe it’s just me, but why would you email about a reservation question unless it’s a direct email to the property? Phone call is the best way to go, and by that directly to the property because apparently no one can get through on the phone to Marriott
It was an award reservation that required a response from ConPloy, not the property...
Old Feb 27, 2019, 12:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Everytime I see Marriott Bonvoy it reads as Marriott Baloney to me.

Dyslexia or Dystopia?
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Everytime I see Marriott Bonvoy it reads as Marriott Baloney to me.

Dyslexia or Dystopia?
When British Airways changed the name of their points to Avios, it made me think 'Adios'! With Marriott BonVoy, it makes me picture one of those not-so-travelled Americans somewhere in the South, trying to speak French with a Texan twang (apologies to well-travelled Texans!). Very stereotypical but it just don't seem right for an American company to play with a French expression - it's actually a bit culturally insensitive to make up BonVoy. The French will be horrified! But again, it make me think of how many members will be saying 'BonVoy' on their new journeys as they quit Marriott for other programmes. Renaming the programme and all the money needed was a monumental mistake, just like when A-Club changed to Le Club Accorhotels (they are changing their name again soon I think). A-Club had a feeling of exclusivity, Le Club just went down like a lead balloon.

My experience of the customer service since the merger is:

1. The number for customer services for Hong Kong from my app isn't valid. Basic mistake.
2. The automatic message when you pick up is too long, especially when you have to hear Cantonese, Putonghua and English. Why don't they just ask for you to press 1, 2 or 3 first, just like they do when you call the US number? (Spanish and French are options I think)
3. The call centre operators are usually helpful but some are very direct and not willing to explain anything. When I asked for where in the terms and conditions it stated something, I got passed to another team then I got cut off. I suspect they didn't want to look into the details of the query as the longtimer (she said she'd been with Marriott for 20 years) said 'it has always been like that' and didn't like me questioning it.

Anyway, I live in Asia but I need to call the US line because the free number from Hong Kong doesn't work. Luckily it's a free Skype call but doing it that way means it doesn't recognise my number and can't filter me to the Platinum line.

Finally, yes, I keep seeing the message to update my phone number, even though it is up-to-date. They need a message to update their phone numbers in the app!!

Last edited by yorkboy24; Feb 28, 2019 at 1:32 am
Old Feb 27, 2019, 9:36 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, AC 35K
I have always received very good customer service when I call Marriott Rewards, errr Bonvoy. The agents are polite and very helpful. I am located in North America. Maybe there are regional differences in the level of customer service provided by the various call centres?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
I was just treated very rudely by Titanium support. They don't even let you finish speaking before they start their shpeel.

Before this merger, if I made a mistake while booking I would be able to call CS and have them make a change no questions asked, regardless of the type of reservation it was.

I booked a non-refundable reservation today and accidentally chose the wrong room type before booking. In fact, I wanted to upgrade the room type. I call in explaining the situation. The first comment I get from the CS agent is in a very angry tone. "YOU ARE NOT GOING TO MAKE ME CANCEL THIS RESERVATION." I was flabbergasted by the anger. I said "Excuse me, I don't think I heard you correctly?" She said "oh, I'm just reading the rules of your reservation. I don't make the rules, I just read them." Refused to even touch it.

Are they really this strict now? Are things really this bad over there that they are openly rude and obnoxious to their callers? I wasn't asking her to cancel the reservation, I was asking her if I could possibly upgrade the room type after making an error. I couldn't even get that much out until she started reading the rules to me monotone.

Is it worth calling in again and getting a more friendly agent, or am I going to be out of luck?
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by demkr
I was just treated very rudely by Titanium support. They don't even let you finish speaking before they start their shpeel.

Before this merger, if I made a mistake while booking I would be able to call CS and have them make a change no questions asked, regardless of the type of reservation it was.

I booked a non-refundable reservation today and accidentally chose the wrong room type before booking. In fact, I wanted to upgrade the room type. I call in explaining the situation. The first comment I get from the CS agent is in a very angry tone. "YOU ARE NOT GOING TO MAKE ME CANCEL THIS RESERVATION." I was flabbergasted by the anger. I said "Excuse me, I don't think I heard you correctly?" She said "oh, I'm just reading the rules of your reservation. I don't make the rules, I just read them." Refused to even touch it.

Are they really this strict now? Are things really this bad over there that they are openly rude and obnoxious to their callers? I wasn't asking her to cancel the reservation, I was asking her if I could possibly upgrade the room type after making an error. I couldn't even get that much out until she started reading the rules to me monotone.

Is it worth calling in again and getting a more friendly agent, or am I going to be out of luck?
Apparently there is no repercussion for poor support, so yes, things are that bad. I would suggest a second call to hopefully get a friendlier agent that will at least listen to the request, or you may be able to contact the property directly. I think Customer Service needs to be retitled Corporate Support where what the customer no longers matter.
demkr and KRSW like this.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Apparently there is no repercussion for poor support, so yes, things are that bad. I would suggest a second call to hopefully get a friendlier agent that will at least listen to the request, or you may be able to contact the property directly. I think Customer Service needs to be retitled Corporate Support where what the customer no longers matter.
This is my first experience post-Bonvoy renaming and I'm just shocked at the difference. I get that we all have bad days and I've dealt with CS agents in a lot of places but never have I had one talk like that. wow.

I've also had agents who are semi-annoying and interrupt when I'm speaking, this one was talking over me on purpose!
Old Mar 1, 2019, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by demkr

I think for that kind of change, you should be calling the hotel anyhow. Good luck.
demkr likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.