Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott's Customer Service : General Discussion Thread

Marriott's Customer Service : General Discussion Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:48 pm

are you sure you (or some pranksters) have not changed some setting in your account that causes you to get lower floor rooms closer to the elevator? Old people often use these settings to reduce the physical distance from the hotel entrance to their room.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:14 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Originally Posted by davie355
are you sure you (or some pranksters) have not changed some setting in your account that causes you to get lower floor rooms closer to the elevator? Old people often use these settings to reduce the physical distance from the hotel entrance to their room.
Thanks for mentioning that. I did check and I verified that I have a "high floor" preference and "near elevator" is not selected. I did change a few things from "no preference" to a specific preference (like KING bed).

I'd be curious to see if SPG folks have seen a similar drop in service or if I am just having a year of bad hotel luck.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:21 pm

Oh... in the mean time, can you please give me a lousy free water at all your hotels!!! Haha
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In almost six months of Ambassador status (100+ nights AND $20,000+ spend by August 1st), I've gotten exactly one Your24 and *two* macaroons (in an overseas LC property) in a cute (or not) little mesh bag. Those same macaroons were available for free every afternoon in the lounge and they sometimes appeared at happy hour too. Obviously I'm not impressed.

I've also had multiple phone calls to *my* *elite* number go into black holes (after over three hours, what else can you say to describe it) and I've waited over a week to get *my* ambassador to respond to three emails and three voicemails regarding that same LC reservation for the following week (so that the response was received after I checked in), again with my attempts at communication apparently going into more black holes.

Yes, I'm bitter.
KRSW likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 11:41 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
McMarriott Bonvoy: Half the service, twice the Bibles.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 12:18 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jb3t
Oh... in the mean time, can you please give me a lousy free water at all your hotels!!! Haha
No kidding! Its hard to believe how quickly service and recognition has fallen within such a short time.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Speaking only for myself.... On the few times I've called Customer Service since the merger, I've found all the telephone agents with whom I spoke invariably friendly, polite, and interested in helping me. IME they're not so well trained on the products and the computer systems. That said, of course, the problem with the systems may well be that they don't work consistent with the training and manuals, -- not the fault of the telephone agents, obviously. As many in this forum already know, my regular hotel is the SGS. I have not noticed any drop in benefits or any significant downgrades there. Sure, Marriott may be with Pepsi for the corporate contract, for example, and may have issued a directive to the properties to switch to Pepsi; but the cola in the refrigerator in my room when I check-in is still Coke, as the hotel knows that I prefer. As the G.M., Mr. Chapman, pointed out here, they lost some data during the IT changeover, and have been working to counteract the effects.

Something I've always wondered, and it's more noticeable now, -- anyone here know much about the decision making process at the hotel level? Specifically, can the GM of a hotel, who is employed directly by the hotel's owner(s), overrule Marriott corporate? If so, are there any limitations, assuming that the hotel owner(s) agree with the GM's decision?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 6:06 am

[QUOTE=MSPeconomist;30744709]
In almost six months of Ambassador status (100+ nights AND $20,000+ spend by August 1st), I've gotten exactly one Your24 and *two* macaroons (in an overseas LC property) in a cute (or not) little mesh bag. Those same macaroons were available for free every afternoon in the lounge and they sometimes appeared at happy hour too. Obviously I'm not impressed. [QUOTE]

I take that back, I did receive a tiny mesh bag filled with three Hersheys kisses. So, Ive got that going for me.
In all seriousness It seems like they are directed to do the absolute minimum unless you raise a stink.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
RIP SPG. It was a great run. At least it gives usable backup status w/Marriott if you had enough to get LT.

Much like I did when CO destroyed UA for a couple years, I'm voting with my feet and have gone elsewhere.
EuropeanPete, KRSW and remymartin like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:46 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Sabai
McMarriott Bonvoy: Half the service, twice the Bibles.
If I got as much as half the service I got from SPG that would be a joy!
EuropeanPete and KRSW like this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
I have a problem I have seen reported in comments on OMAAT etc but still no clear resolution I was wondering if anyone could advise how to solve. I booked a stay for this presidents weekend last year on SPG points at the Westin Whistler - 48k SPG points total - a great deal at that redemption rate. Then last week I received a confirmation email for the stay - turns out they pulled another 240k Marriott points. So in addition to now double paying its at a higher rate too. I called Marriott and got a case number but so far crickets and the points have not been returned - its been a week. Any idea how to proceed here? I would really like to get this resolved in advance of my stay next week. Any advice is appreciated!
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:56 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by uscjeff
I have a problem I have seen reported in comments on OMAAT etc but still no clear resolution I was wondering if anyone could advise how to solve. I booked a stay for this presidents weekend last year on SPG points at the Westin Whistler - 48k SPG points total - a great deal at that redemption rate. Then last week I received a confirmation email for the stay - turns out they pulled another 240k Marriott points. So in addition to now double paying its at a higher rate too. I called Marriott and got a case number but so far crickets and the points have not been returned - its been a week. Any idea how to proceed here? I would really like to get this resolved in advance of my stay next week. Any advice is appreciated!
Have you verified that the 240K was actually taken from your account or is the confirmation email just showing the current cost?

I regularly receive confirmation emails several days prior to a stay. If it is an award stay, it will show the "price" I supposedly paid in points and it will show the current price even though I may have used fewer points at the time the reservation was made. I can guarantee you that no additional points were taken from my account as I've been keeping a spreadsheet on all points since December 2017.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by controller1
Have you verified that the 240K was actually taken from your account or is the confirmation email just showing the current cost?

I regularly receive confirmation emails several days prior to a stay. If it is an award stay, it will show the "price" I supposedly paid in points and it will show the current price even though I may have used fewer points at the time the reservation was made. I can guarantee you that no additional points were taken from my account as I've been keeping a spreadsheet on all points since December 2017.
The points were totally pulled again - the whole way I found out too was award wallet alerted me at the same time my balance had dropped by 240k...
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott BonVoy LT Titanium Elite, National Executive Elite
I'm LTPP and have been on hold with the platinum line for close to 30 minutes.

The system always says that it doesn't recognize the number I'm calling from, even though it's in my profile... le sigh
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by Sulley
I'm LTPP and have been on hold with the platinum line for close to 30 minutes.

The system always says that it doesn't recognize the number I'm calling from, even though it's in my profile... le sigh
AA has this same problem. Their "new system" does not allow the same number on multiple accounts. Maybe this is from your other account not being pulled from the system or a family member/friend that you are managing. You might be able to ask the CSR to search by phone to see if multiple hits show up.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.