Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott's Customer Service : General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott's Customer Service : General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:45 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards, Delta
Unhappy Horrible customer service

I am a lifetime platinum. 20+ years. CS at the end of last year and most recently (this week) has been terrible. Most recently, I received confirmation for a Starwood resort in Costa Rica - but dates were wrong and the email was written with poor grammer, so I was worried about hacking, given the recent issues. I called to ask and the CS rep said... 'stop talking. I'm going to do the talking here. I'm looking at this.' She had no idea what to do. After waiting, I asked for her name... nicely... and she hung up on me. I called back. Explained what happened. Got nowhere. My second experience this week... I made reservations using points earlier this week for early Jan 2020 using my app. I called with a general property question and CS said, 'I don't think points are allowed for reservations for that property at that time... I said, I already did, and that I was not calling about that. When my page refreshed, my reservation dates were altered/shortened. And not by me.
If I were just starting out in my business, and this were my experience... twice in one week, no less... I would never choose Marriott.
Well, that's my venting for the year. Sorry. Just so disappointing and frustrating.
KRSW and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 8:09 pm

For the record, it is "grammar". Judge not, lest ye be judged...

But, sounds like you have the experience of many, where you have a long term investment and expectation of a product and they are starting to disappoint. Many are questioning their loyalty and with reason. Just be sure you don't let the emotions skew your decisions. Sounds like you really got a couple of bad CS agents, but that has happened to all travel veterans like yourself. Hope you have better luck the rest of 2019.
satman40 likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards, Delta
LOL. Grammar indeed. Thank you.
It's a new day, so to speak... I do hope this was an isolated event. Hope springs eternal.
Old Jan 25, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: Liftime Titanium Elite Marriott
Sent an email three weeks ago. Sent me an automated response, and thats it. Customer service is not improving at all, if not getting worse. Truly terrible
Old Jan 25, 2019, 10:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I never thought that MR customer service was very good, starting with the separate elite phone numbers for rewards versus other issues and at times the difficulty of finding the Plat or PP numbers to use. IIRC PP had one number , but if you were calling about a rewards issue, they transferred the call to the main rewards number and not an elite rewards number. I also had some appallingly bad PP agents (or at least I called the PP line in the middle of the business day and they person claimed to be a dedicated PP agent) who seemed to know nothing about hotels or travel so that I had to explain basic concepts/issues to them. It also seemed strange to me that the PP line kept such restricted hours, again with it apparently being forwarded to some general call center after hours instead of forwarding to the Plat line.

Still, it was much better then than now and especially I never experienced holds that lasted for several hours or (correct) elite phone numbers going into black holes consistently.
Old Jan 26, 2019, 6:29 am

Programs: SPG LTP, hotels, OWE, STE+, *G, Octopus
The customer service is so bad these days, even the Twitter DM fast track remains fast but has become useless. I now only request hotel e-mail addresses for them to get issues fixed myself. I chased a missing stay for more than a month and got it fixed the next day when I had the idea to just request a hotel contact e-mail.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 2:11 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
With all the bad customer service posts, I thought I'd post a nice one.

About a week ago, I had a 2 night stay at the JW Austin. The stay posted a few days later, but for some reason was for about 900 points in total (way less than it should have been) and the nights did not post either. So this morning I called Customer Service. Per my phone, the call lasted a total of 6 minutes and 6 seconds. Within that time, I waited a minute for someone to answer, a couple of minutes to identify myself (including providing my online pin number). Once I told the agent what the issue was, she looked up the stay, agreed with me that something wasn't right. It took her about 2 minutes to get my points correctly added along with my 2 night credits. And while she was fixing that, she noticed that my stay in Cancun which just posted didn't include my Plat 1000 points amenity. So she asked me if I had chosen a different amenity (which I didn't.) So she fixed that right there as well. ^

While in a perfect world, my points should have posted correctly, I have to say, I don't think I've ever had a similar call for any other program (hotel, airline, car rental, etc.) that went as smoothly or as quickly. She asked what I would have guessed would be the right questions, verified everything and then fixed it right then and there.
RogerD408 and controller1 like this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hhoope01
While in a perfect world, my points should have posted correctly, I have to say, I don't think I've ever had a similar call for any other program (hotel, airline, car rental, etc.) that went as smoothly or as quickly. She asked what I would have guessed would be the right questions, verified everything and then fixed it right then and there.
Sounds like every interaction I ever had with Marriott customer service before 2018...
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Sounds like every interaction I ever had with Marriott customer service before 2018...
I think we can all agree that Starwood and Marriott operated much better as individual companies than the disastrous behemoth that has now been created.
PointWeasel, Sabai, KRSW and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 2:49 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I just want to say that, due to the thread title being changed for the first thread that was rolled into this, it sure sounded like someone was being a cheeky git:

Title: "Marriott's Customer Service General Discussion Thread"
First Post Text: "Is it down, or is it no longer offered?"

(Yes, it had to do with the Platinum chat, but it comes off as a rather strong commentary on the situation.)
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:18 am

Programs: HH Diamond
Originally Posted by felines3
I called to ask and the CS rep said... 'stop talking. I'm going to do the talking here. I'm looking at this.' She had no idea what to do. After waiting, I asked for her name... nicely... and she hung up on me. .
Sounds just like the "Customer Service" rep I had a few months ago. First she told me I didn't know what I was doing, then she laid down the rules - "first I get to talk and you have to listen CAREFULLY - then you get to talk". I asked if she was going to listen carefully and she said "of course". But she never did. I immediately sent an email complaint but they never got back to me. Subsequent contacts with reps both over the phone and email have been better but the only reason I've kept the existing reservations is because they're for free nights from my credit cards. I'm getting good value from the free nights but I might be trimming a few at renewal time.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 9:31 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Consolidation is about finding “synergies” to reduce staff and guest benefits to boost shareholder value.

Customer service is overhead to be dispatched at the lowest possible cost.

Bon Voy, y’all..
UA-NYC and 3rdworldresident like this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:04 am

Is there anything equivalent to the SPG Platinum Concierge any more? I'm trying to make a request for an upcoming stay. I'm Lifetime Platinum Premier, the phone system recognizes me, but I keep getting routed to "General Reservations" who can't help me. The hotel doesn't answer the phone either.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:29 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cranrob
Is there anything equivalent to the SPG Platinum Concierge any more? I'm trying to make a request for an upcoming stay. I'm Lifetime Platinum Premier, the phone system recognizes me, but I keep getting routed to "General Reservations" who can't help me. The hotel doesn't answer the phone either.
Platinum Concierge is no longer listed as a benefit of any elite tier.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:43 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Is it me or is the Marriott Customer Service far below the Good-Ole SPG

I really don’t know what to think anymore. After 1100 nights in SPG/MR hotel rooms over the past 10+ years, with all the alcolades (Lifetime Plat, 5 years Ambassador, soon to be lifetime Titanium or whatever) over the past year, Marriott can’t seem to distinguish a “valued, extremely loyal” customer from the once-a-year traveler using a HotWire or Priceline rate. I don’t get it. 8 trips in this year and they seemingly enjoy putting me on the 2nd floor next to the elevator and garbage dump. Also, had many nights where the room type reserved somehow was “unavailable” and all you get is the blank stare.... sorry. Give me a break. It’s time MR or BonBoy gets their crap together and treat the customers that go out of their way to spend 80, 90, 100+ nights a year like valued customers. The drop in customer service that I’ve seen over the SPG days rivals the drop in temps that we’ve seen in the recent polar vortex.

As an SPG loyalist till the day it died, I can say that 90% of the time SPG made it known that they knew you were coming. They had your keys already made, 50-75% of the time I was upgraded to a suite without asking, nearly 100% of the time you were on the club or top floor, you’d walk into the room on many occasions to a bucket of beer or a basket of candy, and they’d call you to check in on you. Oh and you got the room you reserved! Enter Marriott.... you walk in, next to no recognition, no feeling of “we were waiting for you”, they key you into room 101 or 201 (in a 5-10 story hotel) and you’re off to listen to kids partying all night in the room next door on their bottom-of-the-barrel rate. Special.

Over the past year... not a single suite upgrade, not a single “extra” to make you feel wanted, and a whole lot of rooms on floors (and in locations) that I was never put in when with SPG. It’s like a memo went out to disregard status and loyalty. That’s what it feels like. Just tonight, I checked into a Courtyard and was greeted by a very friendly woman. I hand her my info, she thanks me for being a Plat Premier, and Keys Up my room. As she was doing that, I was chit-chatting with her about how I miss the SPG upgrades. She hands me my keys and, your guessed it, 2nd floor next to the elevator of a 5 story hotel. For informational purposes, I asked her if they knew the elites were coming (like they used to with SPG). She said that they get a list of the PLATS coming but do absolutely nothing with it. I then asked if they automatically upgrade plats and she said NO. She then asked me if I wanted a better room! I said, YES. Next thing, she upgrades me to an executive room on the top floor. Why the hell didnt they do that in the first place? I just dont get it. The customer service in regards to elite room selection is bordering on ridiculous.

Sorry for the rant. I dont rant much but this company has a way of making their most valued customers like nobodys. A smart person once said that it costs a hell of a lot less to keep a customer via good customer service than to find a new customer to replace said customer. 2019 is a transition year for me. If I dont see any improvement, I will branch out and take my 100 nights elsewhere. I have lifetime titanium so it's not like I can achieve anything else.

To SPG... it was good while it lasted. thanks for the memories.
KRSW likes this.

Last edited by jb3t; Feb 5, 2019 at 11:06 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.