Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott's Customer Service : General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott's Customer Service : General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
A recap of my most recent call...

(FWIW, I’m a Lifetime Platinum. I don’t know if that routes my calls to the cream of the crop in the call center. If so, wow. Not good.)

Here’s a greatly abbreviated (but entirely accurate) recap of the conversation:

Me: “Delta Hotel Calgary Airport In-Terminal” (which is the exact name of the hotel I was calling about)

Agent: “Is that in Calgary, Ontario?”

Me: “No, Calgary is in Alberta. That’s not even close.”

Agent: “Ok. I have the Delta Hotel Edmonton Center Suites? Is that the one?”

Me: “No. The Delta Hotel Calgary Airport is in Calgary, not in Edmonton. That’s a totally different city. And it’s at the airport. In Calgary. The Delta Hotel Calgary Airport.”

Sigh. Is it always going to be like this?
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Why be so snarky with the agent - they are just trying to help you.
In my experience, often times the call center the rep is in can be loud. Or perhaps, the location the OP was calling from could have been loud. Or maybe there was a bad connection. If you read the transcript above again, it could also be consistent with the agent not hearing the conversation very well.

Another possibility is that this was a new agent that isn't familiar with every city where Marriott has a hotel. Ontario is the most populated province in Canada. If a person needs to guess where a Canadian city is located, Ontario or Quebec would probably be the best guesses.

On my hierarchy of complaints, being asked to repeat myself would be low on the list. It is weird that a thread was started to complain about it.
lougord99 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I know it's frustrating, but a little patience goes a long way.

I have found that geography is not a strong suit for most customer service reps (hotel, airline, rental car, etc)
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
That's true but it's also reasonable to have basic expectations. When you work in an industry that has a significant geographic component to it (such as hotels, airlines and car rentals) I think as a customer one can reasonably expect company representatives to have a basic grasp of geography.

On the topic of having a little patience, I have to say that I'm trying hard to be patient with Marriott but my faith in their ability to track my stays is decreasing rapidly. For the past few weeks, when I surf in to spg.com I get this message quite frequently:

Why is there an issue displaying my reservations?

I've now taken to printing (to pdf) my reservations so that I have a record of what SPG once did a brilliant job at tracking for me. Since the August merger though, Marriott has, IMHO, dropped the IT ball. I now no longer expect that the local property will have a record of my reservation, even if it's a traditional SPG property vs a Marriott one.

On the airline side, a few years ago I made a slow but deliberate migration away from Air Canada. The migration process took me a couple of years, but I did it and the majority of my travel is no longer on AC metal. I'm now thinking I'll have to do another slow but deliberate migration away from SPG / Marriott and that's a real shame.

Marriott customer service is what it is but they need to remember that customers have a choice.
Old Nov 10, 2018, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Life Plat
Originally Posted by RCyyz
For the past few weeks, when I surf in to spg.com I get this message quite frequently:
I'd been seeing a message like this on the Marriott side since around the big conversion in August, but as far as I could tell all my reservations were showing up properly.

Then a couple weeks ago, just a day before I had a points stay at a Sheraton in Germany (and when I was already in the middle of my trip to Europe), I received an email from Marriott that I had insufficient points for my upcoming stay. I was rather concerned as it was true I didn't have many points left in my account, but the points for this stay had already been taken out.

I spent a considerable amount of time with a Marriott agent as she tried to figure out what was going on, made more challenging as there still seem to be different internal reservation numbers between the Marriott and Starwood reservations systems, and numbers I had didn't always match up to ones she could see.

Fortunately she eventually transferred me over to a Starwood agent, and I suddenly realized why longtime SPG members haven't been happy with the merger. The Starwood agent pretty quickly figured out what was up (that somehow a duplicate reservation ended up in the system, and only one of them had had points applied. Moreover, he called the hotel in Germany directly to be sure my reservation was properly resolved (off-line, so I didn't have to wait) and then gave me a call back a short while later to let me know everything was resolved and set for my stay.

In the end, that was the best telephone customer service experience I can recall ever having. Based on that, I'd want to consider switching my allegiance from Marriott to Starwood for that better quality of care... if only that were still possible.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 6:01 am

Originally Posted by nachosdelux

I have found that geography is not a strong suit for most customer service reps (hotel, airline, rental car, etc)
The geographic location of the CSR also seems to be a problem. When I get a US based CSR my issues get taken care of quickly. When they are located elsewhere, I have had problems. Seems to be a training issue which is not fair to the customer or CSR if they are inadequately trained.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: Aeroplan 50K Elite, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Angry Marriott web +phone service = sucks

So, was a lifetime SPG Platinum and now a Lifetime Premier Platinum Elite for Marriott.

Both web and Platinum phone service for SPG was superb - treated top customers like top customers. Loved them for years.

Marriott today: Tried to book holiday getaway - hotel's "view availability" on website just returns to the same screen, so you are forced into trial and error dates. Takes forever.

I phone SPG Platinum/Marriott line: Takes 10 minutes to explain what I want, then I am asked to be put on hold to "talk to the manager." While I am on hold, the call is somehow rerouted to a new Client Service person who asks me to explain again what I want.

Marriott - fix this! Many of us who book 75+ nights a year don't want to be treated like this.

Hilton and Fairmont are looking really good right now...
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: AC*SE100K, SPG Plat
SPG Customer Service is garbage since the merger

SPG customer service went from being one of the best in the business (imo) to complete garbage after the merger. Is it just me? I've seen others post issues in various threads, but i'm not sure how widespread it is.

I'm a lifetime gold (and soon to be platinum member) - I used to get things resolved so easily and quickly via the online chat. Now, I send multiple mails within a span of 3-4 months that never get returned. Calling them on the phone results in a much longer wait time, and whenever I get through the agents are not helpful - or worse, they tell you what you want to hear, but don't actually do anything about it. For example - I had a cheque SPG was supposed to send me, and after speaking with 3 agents (who all confirmed it had been approved, and my cheque is on the way), the 4th agent tells me the cheque is actually stuck in 'pending' mode and he needed to manually move it to the next stage for accounting to approve. It took 3 months to get the cheque, and they didn't even send the right amount.

Every time I ran into issues previously, they were so easily resolved either by mail, or online chat. Now if anything happens, I grudgingly have to call them, waste >30 minutes, and most often need to call back 3-4 times before something actually gets fixed.

I hope SPG / Marriott reps are taking all of our feedback into consideration. It's such a shame how SPG went from exceptional customer service to now being horrendous.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by kizlo
SPG customer service went from being one of the best in the business (imo) to complete garbage after the merger. Is it just me? I've seen others post issues in various threads, but i'm not sure how widespread it is.

I'm a lifetime gold (and soon to be platinum member) - I used to get things resolved so easily and quickly via the online chat. Now, I send multiple mails within a span of 3-4 months that never get returned. Calling them on the phone results in a much longer wait time, and whenever I get through the agents are not helpful - or worse, they tell you what you want to hear, but don't actually do anything about it. For example - I had a cheque SPG was supposed to send me, and after speaking with 3 agents (who all confirmed it had been approved, and my cheque is on the way), the 4th agent tells me the cheque is actually stuck in 'pending' mode and he needed to manually move it to the next stage for accounting to approve. It took 3 months to get the cheque, and they didn't even send the right amount.

Every time I ran into issues previously, they were so easily resolved either by mail, or online chat. Now if anything happens, I grudgingly have to call them, waste >30 minutes, and most often need to call back 3-4 times before something actually gets fixed.

I hope SPG / Marriott reps are taking all of our feedback into consideration. It's such a shame how SPG went from exceptional customer service to now being horrendous.

I entirely agree with you, your experience is my experience, as well: many Starwood departments, most notably reservations, and customer service, and the back of the house/once Starwood infrastructure, have totally deteriorated, never mind the profound deterioration of the SPG program (orchestrated by, none other, than a former architect of the SPG program (it's amazing what people will do, when you bait them with money)).

My gut sense is that things will eventually normalize, but it will take much longer than Marriott ever anticipated, and if Marriott has more people like their brand loyalty leader, Mr. Flueck, there will be plenty of people to attempt to put a positive spin on garbage, and attempt to pull the wool over the heads of Marriott and Starwood's, once, most loyal guests. I don't doubt that there are significant strengths at Marriott International, but if M.I. continues to turn a blind eye to the once institutional and organizational strengths of Starwood, Marriott will end up with garbage.

Seriously, instant oatmeal? So goes McMarriott's homogenous, illogical, adverse (negative) agenda.

My confidence in Marriott is at the lowest that it's been in 50 years. That is a very strong statement., as I was a (Marriott) believe for 50 years.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:53 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by kizlo
While many vintage SPG members seem to think the decline in customer service is because Marriott must have been worse than SPG, you need to realize Marriott CS used to also be excellent and has also gone terribly downhill. There is obviously something going on, but it's they took two very good CS organizations, threw them both out and replaced them with something that isn't good. The prolonged automated voice inquiries were part of the old Marriott phone CS, but other than that Marriott CS was quite good, not the crusterfluck it is now.

Or should that be clusterFlueck?
DJ_Iceman and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 12:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by CJKatl
While many vintage SPG members seem to think the decline in customer service is because Marriott must have been worse than SPG, you need to realize Marriott CS used to also be excellent and has also gone terribly downhill. There is obviously something going on, but it's they took two very good CS organizations, threw them both out and replaced them with something that isn't good. The prolonged automated voice inquiries were part of the old Marriott phone CS, but other than that Marriott CS was quite good, not the crusterfluck it is now.
Completely agree. The new Marriott is not the same as the old Marriott. This in my view is the biggest disappointment of the merger, that the combined program provides much worse cs than either of the pre-merger programs.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Nov 27, 2018, 11:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by eyeball1
Had a frustrating experience calling the platinum line. Agent apparently thought I required more points than I had for a booking (though I did have enough). So a minute after the call I get an email from my credit card company asking to confirm a purchase for $400 in Marriott points which the agent had gone ahead and purchased for me. I did not authorize and was not even aware of the purchase. I recall this happening to another poster though I cannot find the post. Really unacceptable behaviour, and it required another long call to get it refunded.
Is it possible that agents receive commissions on these sales of points?
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:18 pm

Disaapointing experience with Marriott Rewards customer service

Hello - I am a long time lurker, first time poster. I am a legacy SPG platinum elite and lifetime platinum premier with Marriott Rewards. I just had a shockingly bad customer service experience with Marriott Rewards. I am staying at the Cove Atlantis, an Autograph Collection hotel. According to the published Platinum Elite benefits, I am entitled to daily breakfast, given that the hotel is flagged Autograph Collection and a resort in the Caribbean - the matrix could not be clearer. Upon checkin, I was informed that the hotel does not fully participate in Marriott Rewards and I was not entitled to breakfast. There is ZERO reference to this on the elite benefits chart; so I challenged the check-in agent. He put Marriott customer service on the phone.

For the first time, I spoke to a Marriott Rewards customer service agent, rather than an SPG agent, and I have never been so horribly treated by hotel customer service staff.
- I was told that I was not due breakfast because resorts in the Carribean do not need to provide lounge access.
- When I pointed out that breakfast is a welcome amenity for Autograph resorts in the Carribean, she told me that because the hotel offered me 1000 points they fulfilled their obligation - I was NOT due the published benefits, and CHOICE was up to the hotel, not me (her words, not mine).
- When I said that is clearly not the brand standard and would like to escalate, she told me
- I could NOT reach out to a supervisor
- she would NOT file a complaint on my behalf
- she would not give me her employee number or any identifying information other than saying she was <first name omitted> in the <location omitted> Marriott customer service center
- if I complained about her, they could easily find her because she put plenty of notations in my account
The Atlantis staff were so disgusted by the treatment I received that they comped me breakfast, whether it is in their policy or not.

I am absolutely disgusted by this lack of service from Marriott and grateful for the response from the Atlantis. The service from Marriott is certainly not the service I have received from Starwood over the years. This poor treatment, combined with the inability to get points to post in legacy Starwood hotels without reaching out to SPG assist on twitter, is seriously making me consider reaching out to Hyatt for a status match. I can't imagine service is worse, and the quality of properties is comparable.

So, a few questions for the group:
- is this the new norm of customer service, and if so should I walk?
- what is the reality about the Cove Atlantis and SPG platinum benefits?
- would Hyatt be a viable alternative?

Thanks!
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
1. The go-forward Marriott CS experience will never be as good as it was w/SPG. And is really only tolerable now w/ a good Ambassador.
2. This property is unfortunately exempt from most benefits (like the Cosmopolitan)
3. If you can make the Hyatt footprint work, you will probably enjoy much better experiences there than Marriott
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
3. If you can make the Hyatt footprint work, you will probably enjoy much better experiences there than Marriott
That's a big "if" and very true.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 3:52 pm
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
2. This property is unfortunately exempt from most benefits (like the Cosmopolitan)
Correct; I think of the Cosmopolitan and Atlantis properties like Design Hotels, you can book and earn points for those stays via Marriott/SPG, but don't get full benefits. For a list of other exempt properties to help you plan future travels, they're listed here in section 1.2 - https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi#join

(Also, if the breakfast benefit is very important to OP, note that while most properties with a lounge have to provide a restaurant breakfast benefit if the lounge is closed, there are a couple of legacy Marriott properties that are not required to do so, and are only obligated to give you points instead. Listed here at 4.3.c.iv https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/terms/default.mi#elite)

I think many properties with exceptions are pretty well-known discussed and documented on FT among the legacy MR community, but I can see it being a rather unpleasant surprise for someone who hasn't been immersed in those conversations and showing up at the property. I do think that all this information could be more clearly stated in a consumer-friendly way in the Marriott website (such as a clearer link from the benefits table page to properties that have exceptions on certain benefits).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.