Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott's Customer Service : General Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott's Customer Service : General Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2018, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There seems to be a culture that's developed among a variety of customer service areas (including hotel front desks, airline phone reservation agents, credit card phone agents) to never say to a customer that they don't know the answer (and ideally will find it or will send the customer to someone who does know) but rather to just make up some lie and get rid of the customer. I'd like to know which big consultant thought that this is a good idea.
Agree although from my little experience it's actually management and supervisors who've realized they can now get away with: 'I'm here to manage, supervisors are here to supervise and reps do all the customer facing roles so anything that goes wrong is their responsibility'. You are then left with a customer facing member of staff who wants to help but also wants to be in a job at the end of the week.
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:20 am

Programs: *A Gold / ST Elite+ / OWS / EK G / HH Diam. / MR Tit / Hyatt GLOB / IHG Diam. / SL Jade / GHA Tit.
Still very good experience with Platinum concierge, faster customer service in the market (from minutes to one hour max)... but I can't say the same with Marriott CS... 3 weeks to get an answer last month (problem was solved before they answer anyway).
Old Jul 24, 2018, 3:58 pm

Starwood CS has been spot on in my experience but Marriott is completely different. It's like night and day. I hope the merger won't affect Starwood CS
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:41 pm

Programs: EK Gold EY Gold Sirius Gold SPG Plat / LT Gold
In the post-merger world does platinum chat still exist?

I just spent 30 minutes on phone to the US for a matter that would usually dealt with in minuted using the chat function.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 10:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by dxbtraveller
In the post-merger world does platinum chat still exist?
No.
Old Sep 9, 2018, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Old Sep 12, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: Don't think it matters...
Marriot Rewards Online chat facility ?

Hello,
I recall we had a facility to chat with Marriot CS thru online chat. Cannot seem to find it now. Is that feature no longer there ?
Old Sep 20, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Marriott Phone Support

I'm not sure if others have noticed this, but since the merger there has been a huge downgrade in the competency of the phone agents. The last three times i have called the individual seemed like they had some type of cognitive impairment. The inadequacy of the agents has been frequently compounded by more than one just hanging up because they don't understand or can't provide an answer to a question.

Given that i never called SPG before the merger, are these previous SPG agents....I just never have experienced this level of incompetency previously and am curious.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:41 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If I compare my phone experiences before the merger, using Plat Concierge SPG line versus Marriott PP line, SPG was far far far far far better!
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If I compare my phone experiences before the merger, using Plat Concierge SPG line versus Marriott PP line, SPG was far far far far far better!
I pretty much always used the Ritz Plat line over the years...always were super efficient and competent, but the few times i used the Marriott line, everything went smooth. Just wondering where the influx of inadequacy is coming from. Perhaps there are just a bunch of new hires.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 9:59 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
For sure not typical SPG agents. I assume they are temporary, new, or trainee agents. I gave up after 7-8 minutes when the agent could not find any hotels in Bangkok, Thailand.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:22 pm

Programs: Marriott
Angry Horrible Customer Service supervisor on the Marriott Reward Platinum line

I'm writing this thread to express my huge disappointment with Marriott Reward, and sharing my horrible experience with a Marriott Reward Platinum member customer service 'supervisor'. As a Platinum Premier member with over 80+ nights in 2018, I can't believe I got shouted and threatened over the phone for Marriott's own IT issue.

The Marriott Reward Platinum line number: 866-576-5696

Call start time: 11:16 PM PST, 09/25/2018

Call end time: 11:38 PM PST, 09/25/2018

I encountered the 'Oops' error with the 'Annual choice of benefits' page ever since I combined my SPG and Marriott last month. I called multiple times and had multiple cases opened on this issue. On 09/25/2018, I was finally able to select my 'Annual choice of benefits'. However, I have passed 75 nights threshold at that time. I can only select the gift for the 75 elite nights milestone, even though the message on my Marriott account showed as 'You earned Benefit of Choice for staying 50 nights’.

I called the Marriott Reward Platinum member line at 866-576-5696 to ask why I was not able to select the gift for the 50 elite nights milestone. The representative helped me opening a case and documented my question, but unfortunately my call was accidently disconnected after I spent 49 minutes with him.

I called back. Another representative picked up the phone.

The first part of the conversation was normal. I explained to her that I would like to reach out to the agent who was on the phone with me and opened a case for me several minutes ago. She stated that she couldn't find that particular agent because there are so many call centers all over the world. Then, I explained to her that there should be a case just opened under my account. But she said she didn't see any case opened on 09/25, only several different cases opened on 09/24.

I was confused, as I didn't call Marriott Reward on 09/24. The gentlemen on the earlier phone call confirmed that he had opened a case for me on this issue. Anyway, I explained my question about the 'Annual choice of benefits' for the 50 nights milestone and asked if she could help.

Starting from this point, she was consistently mumbling while she still had me on the line. I tried to explain to her several times about the 'Annual choice of benefits', but she didn't get it, as she kept saying and searching free night certificate. I was already on the phone for more than an hour due to the back-to-back calls with Marriott Reward at that point. Hence, I suggested her to either transfer my call to her supervisor, or just open a case for me. She sounded like she was offended by my suggestion. She raised her voice and said 'I AM the SUPERVISOR'. To be honest, I was disappointed because apparently a supervisor on the Marriott Reward Platinum line didn't even read the Term & Condition and was not familiar with the Platinum member benefits at all.

I figured out that I can't get the help I need from her based on her poor knowledge for 'Annual choice of benefits Gift'. Hence, I asked her again to just open a case for me. All of sudden, she read the notes from the case opened in earlier call, literally. It was a surprise because she denied the existence of this case at the very beginning of the call. I started losing my temper at that point. I made it clear that I just want to know why I can't select my 50 elite nights milestone gift. She said the blame is on me because I didn't select the 50 nights gift BEFORE surpassing the 75 nights milestone.

I was very frustrated about her rude altitude and unreasonable answer. I told her that I was already over 50 nights milestone when I combined my accounts. But, it's the on-going Marriot IT issue preventing me from selecting my 50 elite nights milestone gift before I passed the 75 nights milestone! And I have multiple cases opened to prove that.

But she didn't stop there. She further escalated the tension by THREATENING me over the phone. She stated that she can certainly DELETE all the elite nights and certificates under my Marriott Reward account to 'DO ME A FAVOR', since I insisted to get an answer.

I asked for her last name and she refused to provide it. I also asked for a reference number of this horrible customer service call, and she mocked me with '1234567'.

This is the WORST customer service I EVER had with Marriott Reward. I was a SPG Platinum member and I always appreciated and enjoyed the helpful customer service at SPG. I'm deeply disappointment with not only the never stop IT issues, but also this level of customer service experience at Marriott Reward. Having such an unprofessional, rude, poor knowledge 'SUPERVISOR Amber' on the Platinum member line is a completely insult to any loyal customers. With such horrible customer service, I'm going to burn out all my Marriott Reward points and switch to other hotel programs next year.

Last edited by yosithezet; Sep 27, 2018 at 12:21 am Reason: Per FT Rule 21 - removed name of non-executive travel industry professionals.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:47 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
You got through to someone on the phone at Marriott - that's pretty good.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:58 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by joshuahuang
She stated that she can certainly DELETE all the elite nights and certificates under my Marriott Reward account to 'DO ME A FAVOR', since I insisted to get an answer.
I believe you may have been mistakenly connected to the Marriott executive who led the account integration team.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I think Marriott is just hoping all the "spoiled, self-entitled, wool-pulled-over-their-eyes SPG blind loyalists leave Marriott as soon as possible and take their crappy attitudes to some other hotel chain where it will become their problem" (actual FT quote)...the outflux has likely started, and as others have said, I hope the company is punished for it in its H2 financials
MSPeconomist likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.