Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Recommendation for west coast Florida resort/hotel for family

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2018, 9:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond

We have plenty of Rewards points (with more coming via SPG convert in Aug) and need a recommendation for next spring (April).

Family of four (ideally one room w/ two doubles/queens is fine) on the beach. Not too picky as long as the area has a good beach, pool for kids and walk-able to shops, restaurants and options other than the hotel itself. If it was me and my wife we'd opt for Ritz or JW but since we have the kids in tow this is more about sun, fun and easier family meals on or near the water.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 21, 2018, 1:16 pm

I don't know of any Marriott/SPG hotels on the west coast that are on the beach but also have lots to walk to nearby.

I haven't been there since they renovated, but the JW Marriott Marco Island had a nice beach. There wasn't much to walk to, though, and I think you'd need a car likely.

The Ritz in Sarasota is walkable to downtown, though you have to cross a busy road (with a signal) to get downtown. That Ritz also has a shuttle to St. Armand's, which has tons of restaurants and shops that are within easy walking distance of each other. The shuttle also takes you to their beach club, which was quite nice if I recall. The downside is that you aren't right on the beach. However, the beach club has showers, changing facilities, and lockers.
geo1005 likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Stayed at the JW Marco last year. You will need a car but there are restaurants in walking distance as well. Beach is lovely and the two pools nice but did get crowded with drunk Americans :-)
geo1005 likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriot Platinum, HH Gold
Anna Maria or Clearwater

There is a new autograph hotel on Anna Maria Island (between Tampa and Sarasota) - they are 2 bedroom suites. Have not tried yet but looks nice. It is a nice area with great beaches. (Waterline marina Resort and beach club)

Clearwater is another good option with Sand Key Marriott Suites - you can get a a little more room and have direct access to beach with lots to do nearby.

JW Marco Island and Marriott Crystal Shores (vacation club) are also good option - though it is hard to get points redemption at the latter...

- JB
geo1005 likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by jbufano
Clearwater is another good option with Sand Key Marriott Suites - you can get a a little more room and have direct access to beach with lots to do nearby.
The Sheraton Sand Key in Clearwater is all but adjacent to the Marriott. It is recognized as family-friendly.
geo1005 likes this.
Old May 21, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
At the Sandkey you can often upgrade with a low amount of points to Club rooms
geo1005 likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 12:39 am

Ritz Carlton Naples has traditionally been solid and has enough going on around the hotel to keep you occupied for a few days. Naples, Florida is absolutely beautiful and relaxing.

The Residence Inn Treasure Island is one of my favs. The 2 bedroom/2 bath suites are in the newer building and live like a condo. I've also stayed in their 1 bedroom & studio rooms which are decent. (tip: the elevator by the lobby is almost never used, rather than waiting for the one in the main building) Shops, restaurants all within walking distance, as are plenty of places to rent bikes/scooters/jet skis. John's Pass is a short distance north of there and has little shops and restaurants as well. The pool is alright, but the beach is fantastic. Busch Gardens / Legoland are both doable distances from there.

The Sheraton Sand Key is a very old property. They do their best with what they have to work with, but it really needs to be knocked down and rebuilt. They have large conference facilities, so the place is usually packed with conference-goers. Immediately north of the property is the Sand Key park, so the beach tends to be crowded there.

I'm not a fan of Clearwater Beach personally. WAY too crowded and sometimes the crowd isn't always desirable.

I'm in both areas regularly, so if you have any questions feel free to drop me a PM.
IndyDave likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 5:12 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite, UA 1K
Originally Posted by jbufano
+1
geo1005 likes this.
Old May 22, 2018, 8:22 am

Programs: A3*G, Fairmont Pl, Accor Pl, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Amex Platinum
We stayed in the Ritz Carlton Naples last April as a family on points. Hotel is great and there is a stellar kids club with a focus on sea animals and exploration. But other than the kids club we did not find it very kid friendly and it was a bit too far from town - so we were in the car a lot. Also, it was the Ritz - so the upgrade to a suite for the family was paid in cash (I think it was something like $350-$500 a night just for the upgrade) and the suite was not that impressive. And it goes without saying that all the amenities on the property were very expensive.

Never stayed at Treasure Island but hat sounds very interesting.
geo1005 likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 7:19 am

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
You may want to consider the MVC Chrystal Shores villas on Marco Island. These are all 2BR condo's with full kitchens and balconies. Now that the expansion has been completed, there may be some availability for MR point redemption. This is a really nice property on a great beach, located near the JW. An added advantage for MVC timeshares is free parking and no resort fees.
geo1005 likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 9:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
Thank you ALL for these most-helpful comments. Leaning toward the new Autograph Collection option on Anna Maria Island at this point (two bedroom kitchen suites available with points) ^
Old May 23, 2018, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Haha...I am a bit of an expert on Marco Island, so I'll recommend the JW Marriott on the island. I hear the condos are nice as well, but I've never stayed in either (just know the rooms from friends visiting).

You don't say how old your kids are or how long you are staying for, but Marco will certainly deliver on beach, weather, and easy meals for the kids. The Marriott does get pretty crowded in April (we are usually here for a month around then), but the beach is huge and there are always sections (particularly if you want to walk towards the norther for 15 minutes) where it is very quiet. I think they are almost finished the construction of the conference center (repeatedly delayed by hurricanes and some self-inflicted issues) so that shouldn't bother you too much.

Eating on Marco Island is generally fairly basic and most places that you'll see are geared towards the tourists (for example the forgettable plaza very close to the Marriott). There are a few 'better' places to eat. Sale e Pepe in the Ocean Resort is probably the most ambitious restaurant, though it can be hit and miss. Beautiful views of the beach from your table! CJ's on the Bay is fun as well, and then there is the Snook Inn at the back of the island. There are plenty more places, so feel free to PM me if you choose to come here.

You'll need a car. Even if you are only there for a week, you will want to get out and about. Naples is nice (great restaurants on 5th Ave and 3rd Street) and has good shopping (Waterside Shops). Miromar Outlets in Estero is a 40 minute drive north (useful in case it rains at the beach).

Greetings from a sunny Marco Island!
Armani likes this.
Old May 23, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by windhund
The Ritz in Sarasota is walkable to downtown, though you have to cross a busy road (with a signal) to get downtown. That Ritz also has a shuttle to St. Armand's, which has tons of restaurants and shops that are within easy walking distance of each other. The shuttle also takes you to their beach club, which was quite nice if I recall. The downside is that you aren't right on the beach. However, the beach club has showers, changing facilities, and lockers.
I have not stayed in that particular hotel, but from 1977 my family has had places in the middle of Longboat Key, across from Publix on the Gulf side; parents, various Aunts and Uncles and cousins, including some still today. All of the hotels have bicycle rentals or loaners and riding from downtown to St Armand's is easy. It is a great area for a family vacation, although the OP would be better somewhere else directly on the beach. There is no such Starriott option in that area. Just wanted to throw the bike thing out there for anyone else who might be considering downtown Sarasota/St Armand's/Longboat.
Old May 23, 2018, 1:38 pm
OTD

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Skymiles, Mileage Plus
Originally Posted by geo1005
Thank you ALL for these most-helpful comments. Leaning toward the new Autograph Collection option on Anna Maria Island at this point (two bedroom kitchen suites available with points) ^
I can't speak to the hotel (although I'm hoping to get over there soon), but Anna Maria Island is one of my favorite places for a beach vacation (Mrs. OTD grew up about 5 miles from there). Laid back, nice beaches, warm water.

Be sure to get a beer and burger at Skinny's. Have fun!
Armani likes this.
Old May 24, 2018, 10:50 am

+1 for Anna Maria Island. I've also never stayed at that particular hotel, but been to AMI many times. As OTD says, very laid-back and nowhere near as built-up as Marco & Clearwater beaches.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.