Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18, 2018, 9:26 am

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
Originally Posted by RogerD408
SNAs should be considered a "Black Art". You can request their use anytime after making a booking. The system (uncontrolled by the program or the property) will start looking at your request and trying to match it up with available inventory the property has placed in the SNA pool (which is also invisible). And if the requested upgrade type is available for the duration of your stay then you will be notified. Posts have been made that SNAs may go away prior to your arrival. Seems typically Plats get upgraded at check in (non RC properties) when SNAs are being denied. I see it as a crap shoot and as long as you are not at a popular property during prime season, then there is a "chance" the SNA will go through. Some have experience in selecting those properties that offer up SNA upgrades.
Thanks for the insight. I've also had mixed experience using the SNAs at SPG properties and it almost seems as if the individual properties can manipulate the inventory. I've had bad experiences at Westins yet very positive at St. Regis. Will be interesting to see how RC deals with SNAs under the new merged program.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 2:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My experiences in using SPG SNAs have been much more positive, including some wonderful upgrades to suites above the select standard suite level for the comp Plat upgrade pool. YMMV of course.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 3:32 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My experiences in using SPG SNAs have been much more positive, including some wonderful upgrades to suites above the select standard suite level for the comp Plat upgrade pool. YMMV of course.
I too have had success with SNAs. Since taking this screenshot I have had more clear- at St Regis SF (like you they upgraded me above the standard suite (Astor to Metropolitan) I am now 36 for 36 with 14 SNAs pending.

I do try to apply them early and strategically- in off season at hotels with ample suites (my pending SNAs are at StR Washington, Alfonso Seville, Prince de Galles & Grand Bretagne). We will see if my track record holds up.

Old Aug 18, 2018, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by damon88

I too have had success with SNAs. Since taking this screenshot I have had more clear- at St Regis SF (like you they upgraded me above the standard suite (Astor to Metropolitan) I am now 36 for 36 with 14 SNAs pending.

I do try to apply them early and strategically- in off season at hotels with ample suites (my pending SNAs are at StR Washington, Alfonso Seville, Prince de Galles & Grand Bretagne). We will see if my track record holds up.

I've had plenty of successes with them as well, only a few disappointments. My real question is aimed at the Ritz Carlton side -- whether we can expect the SNAs to be accepted there and whether Platinum Premier members under the new combined program will be eligible for upgrades to suites with or without the SNA certificates. Any insight on this is appreciated. Thanks.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:53 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ocn2ocn
I've had plenty of successes with them as well, only a few disappointments. My real question is aimed at the Ritz Carlton side -- whether we can expect the SNAs to be accepted there and whether Platinum Premier members under the new combined program will be eligible for upgrades to suites with or without the SNA certificates. Any insight on this is appreciated. Thanks.
RE: SNAs

A6. Can SNAs be used at all brands -- in particular, can they be used at Ritz-Carltons? If so, and if an SNA is used at a Ritz-Carlton to upgrade to a room category that includes club access or breakfast, will those features be honored despite those not being elite benefits at Ritz-Carltons?
No - not all hotels will participate. A list of non-participating brands and resorts will be available via the SNA terms and conditions in early August. Brands that will not participate at launch are: The Ritz-Carlton, Protea Hotels, Aloft, Element, Design Hotels, All-Suite Hotels, Marriott Vacation Club and participating Vistana properties. <added by Starwood Lurker 18May18>

RE: Suite Upgrades

At The Ritz-Carlton, suites are only included for Platinum Premier Members

Old Aug 18, 2018, 7:56 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

I did find one more Platinum Premier benefit in the new terms:

At The Ritz-Carlton® and St. Regis Hotels, the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee only applies to Platinum Elite and Platinum Premier Elite Members.

1. iii. Ultimate Reservation Guarantee. To be eligible, Member’s Loyalty Program Member Number and a valid credit card number must be included with the reservation. If a Participating Property is unable to honor the reservation, it will pay for comparable accommodation nearby for the Elite Member that night and compensate the Member for the inconvenience. A Participating Property must be open and operational for the Ultimate Reservation Guarantee)

Old Aug 18, 2018, 10:57 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
aaaaand just as expected, those of us who should have switched to Platinum Premier (from SPG Lifetime+750 nights) were only given Plat status in the new system (as of tonight, at least). If they don't fix this in the next day or two, I'm suspending all Marriott stays. Total bs if this means we'll have the lower status until January 2019.
Old Aug 18, 2018, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by damon88

RE: SNAs

A6. Can SNAs be used at all brands -- in particular, can they be used at Ritz-Carltons? If so, and if an SNA is used at a Ritz-Carlton to upgrade to a room category that includes club access or breakfast, will those features be honored despite those not being elite benefits at Ritz-Carltons?

RE: Suite Upgrades

At The Ritz-Carlton, suites are only included for Platinum Premier Members

Thanks very much. While I'm glad the RC suite benefit is included for RC hotels, I find it a bit strange that Suite Night Awards will not be accepted there yet day of arrival suite upgrades are a possibility.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by moulder3
aaaaand just as expected, those of us who should have switched to Platinum Premier (from SPG Lifetime+750 nights) were only given Plat status in the new system (as of tonight, at least). If they don't fix this in the next day or two, I'm suspending all Marriott stays. Total bs if this means we'll have the lower status until January 2019.
I'm legacy MR LTP (as well as SPG LTP) with well over 100 legacy Marriott nights this year, and the new Marriott site shows me as ordinary Plat, even reminding me that if I don't have activity by 8/19/2020, my points will expire.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
I'm SPGLTP 1,725.
My merged account shows correctly as PPE.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:08 am

Did you already merge your accounts or just link them?

I currently can't get into my SPG account. The new Marriott website tells me that the (account number or???) password is wrong. If the problem is the account number, I don't know the new one and the website doesn't recognize my device or give me the option of using my email address.

I should be getting LTPP as well as an Ambassador, both from the MR side, but my MR account claims that I'm just ordinary Plat--and I have a lot more lifetime nights than you.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:09 am
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
I'm legacy MR LTP (as well as SPG LTP) with well over 100 legacy Marriott nights this year, and the new Marriott site shows me as ordinary Plat, even reminding me that if I don't have activity by 8/19/2020, my points will expire.
My Android SPG app shows the sort of correct status - Lifetime Plat . But the App's lifetime counter says I will qualify for Lifetime Silver soon.
The normal website loading on PC just says Plat - without the lifetime so things aren't settled yet.
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, Bonvoy LT Titanium
Originally Posted by yeunganson
My Android SPG app shows the sort of correct status - Lifetime Plat . But the App's lifetime counter says I will qualify for Lifetime Silver soon.
The normal website loading on PC just says Plat - without the lifetime so things aren't settled yet.
Mine as well, looks like it’s going to be a big mess for all of us
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Did you already merge your accounts or just link them?

I currently can't get into my SPG account. The new Marriott website tells me that the (account number or???) password is wrong. If the problem is the account number, I don't know the new one and the website doesn't recognize my device or give me the option of using my email address.

I should be getting LTPP as well as an Ambassador, both from the MR side, but my MR account claims that I'm just ordinary Plat--and I have a lot more lifetime nights than you.

i logged in with my SPG creds and then it gave me a 9-digit number to use going forward as an alternative to my email)

after logging in, everything shows as expected... PPE, a link to the benefits for PPE, and my points seem to be tripled.

how many nights do you have... I know I had a handful on the MR side as well but the 1,725 SPG obviously sufficed.

added: I linked my accounts months ago... but they are not combined yet, so I guess they aren't truly merged .

Last edited by yyznomad; Aug 19, 2018 at 2:39 am
Old Aug 19, 2018, 2:46 am

Originally Posted by yyznomad

i logged in with my SPG creds and then it gave me a 9-digit number to use going forward as an alternative to my email)

after logging in, everything shows as expected... PPE, a link to the benefits for PPE, and my points seem to be tripled.

how many nights do you have... I know I had a handful on the MR side as well but the 1,725 SPG obviously sufficed.

added: I linked my accounts months ago... but they are not combined yet, so I guess they aren't truly merged .
On the SPG side, only about 550 lifetime nights (I got SPG LTP about a year ago), but more than a couple thousand on the MR side with well over the two million points needed for LTP, so I qualify for LTPP according to the original legacy MR rules (although I have about twelve MR Plat years too).

ADDED: If it had been entirely my choice, the lifetime totals of SPG versus MR nights would have been reversed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.