Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2018, 8:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CJKatl
That is absolutely not my point nor belief. My point is there is no evidence LTPP is going to have any significant benefits superior to LTP in the new program.
Very much like regular yearly PPEs will not be getting any significant benefits superior to regular yearly PEs.

The really proof will be whether properties — out of program standards or their own volition — will be granting PPEs (whether lifetime or yearly) priority regarding suite upgrades and greater recognition in general.

Anecdotal evidence from those coming from the MR side is that there was no distinction between the two tiers. But now that PPE level is a publicly disclosed membership tier with published requirements and acknowledged in marketing materials it is not unreasonable to expect a greater awareness on the part of properties regarding the distinction between those two tiers and stricter enforcement from Marriot. We will see when time comes.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
That is absolutely not my point nor belief. My point is there is no evidence LTPP is going to have any significant benefits superior to LTP in the new program.
This has been the game plan all along with PP status. MR considered you being among the Ps and only had trivial gifts to the PPs. This is holding over to the LTP vs LTPP as well, and could be considered worse in that there is pretty much only one shot to get LTPP, at the moment. I would think if they really meant to build a fourth status tier, it would have been separated from the existing tiers, maybe Titanium, just like we have Silver, Gold, and Platinum now. Nothing is cast in concrete yet and they may very well release a truly new tier. And it would make sense if they have a very top heavy population today.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 7:39 am

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
Originally Posted by RogerD408
This has been the game plan all along with PP status. MR considered you being among the Ps and only had trivial gifts to the PPs. This is holding over to the LTP vs LTPP as well, and could be considered worse in that there is pretty much only one shot to get LTPP, at the moment. I would think if they really meant to build a fourth status tier, it would have been separated from the existing tiers, maybe Titanium, just like we have Silver, Gold, and Platinum now. Nothing is cast in concrete yet and they may very well release a truly new tier. And it would make sense if they have a very top heavy population today.
I hope that those of us on the SPG side that argued to be grandfathered into this higher tied have not wasted our time -- and that there is something meaningful to LTPP.
RogerD408 likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Ambassador and LTP
Would they then start an LTT? That would be great. I would hope it would require at least 3000 nights for the LT Traveler.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:44 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
I have a different take.

The Lifetime Platinum Premier and the Lifetime Platinum should just yield gimmicks and marginal benefits - like throw in a free breakfast and a better room and maybe late checkout. These lifetime status is best use as an acknowledgment of past loyalty and an individual achievement rather than some kind of investment that will keep yielding dividend for the rest of life that would outweigh the money originally spent. A program's revenue should focus on giving benefits to current contributing members. The program should not get blog down by using big chunks of current revenue of contributing members to pay for benefits of retired Lifetime Members. (aka no Ponzi-ish type system)

Then there is the annually renewal tier that should yield different benefits depending on what you do with the reward program. Those benefits should have teeth and targeted. 50 butt-in-bed nights, yield those real guarantee Suite Night Upgrades (but no meeting room bonus or discounts). Those 100 nights & 20,000 revenue perhaps "penthouse R us" upgrades from booking a suite. Those who love to do meetings - a few in a year give them catering, equipment renting discounts or double points or something (but not the Suite Night Upgrades). If you have 50 butt-in-bed nights and a few meetings, you get both.

The program needs to be focused and tailored on how one earns their status and reward those activities accordingly. This way, it also lowers the gaming aspect - like doing a meeting run to get Status and Suite Nights.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by yeunganson
The program needs to be focused and tailored on how one earns their status and reward those activities accordingly.
It very likely already does. The professionals who run the successful program have the data to know what type of activities bring in how much profit. You have no experience running a loyalty program and do not have any actual data but instead of respecting the professionalism of those running the program you make up baseless assumptions which seem to be that whatever you do is good and whatever anyone else does is bad.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 4:54 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
It very likely already does. The professionals who run the successful program have the data to know what type of activities bring in how much profit. You have no experience running a loyalty program and do not have any actual data but instead of respecting the professionalism of those running the program you make up baseless assumptions which seem to be that whatever you do is good and whatever anyone else does is bad.
I guess we just have to agree to disagree what our relationship between the program and us are.

I believe as a SPG member (and soon to be SPG/Marriott frequent guest program member), we become participating members of a program and thus become a stakeholder of it. We participate, we contribute and we receive benefits and I feel we can contribute and provide feedback. I expect the program runners to listen, incorporate our good ideas (while ignoring bad ones) and improve the program through time. Not all my wild ideas are good and perhaps many of them are totally useless. Among dozens of ideas, maybe one that could be brilliant and that's how we innovate. We can't be afraid our suggestions being ridiculed and so not to provide ideas that can potentially be awesome.

We also can't just hope the professionals of program committee to always get it right because humans make mistakes and collective people with similar backgrounds run into "groupthink". This thread about SPG Lifetime Plats (of over 750 nghts) can get Lifetime Platinum Premier status exist is the proof our feedback matters because those same professionals who initially design the merged program got parts of it wrong. So it was the collective feedback of our SPG members especially on Flyertalk, that rectify the situation and contributed to the improvement of this new program before it even launched.

Going forward, we should be vocal and fearless and continue to give our opinions how we would like our program sustainable enhanced and hopefully through time, the program gets even better.
puntamita likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 5:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I have a different take.

The Lifetime Platinum Premier and the Lifetime Platinum should just yield gimmicks and marginal benefits - like throw in a free breakfast and a better room and maybe late checkout. These lifetime status is best use as an acknowledgment of past loyalty and an individual achievement rather than some kind of investment that will keep yielding dividend for the rest of life that would outweigh the money originally spent. A program's revenue should focus on giving benefits to current contributing members. The program should not get blog down by using big chunks of current revenue of contributing members to pay for benefits of retired Lifetime Members. (aka no Ponzi-ish type system)

Then there is the annually renewal tier that should yield different benefits depending on what you do with the reward program. Those benefits should have teeth and targeted. 50 butt-in-bed nights, yield those real guarantee Suite Night Upgrades (but no meeting room bonus or discounts). Those 100 nights & 20,000 revenue perhaps "penthouse R us" upgrades from booking a suite. Those who love to do meetings - a few in a year give them catering, equipment renting discounts or double points or something (but not the Suite Night Upgrades). If you have 50 butt-in-bed nights and a few meetings, you get both.

The program needs to be focused and tailored on how one earns their status and reward those activities accordingly. This way, it also lowers the gaming aspect - like doing a meeting run to get Status and Suite Nights.
Your analysis is overlooking the current revenue delivered from the promise of future benefit.
phltraveler likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by JackE
Your analysis is overlooking the current revenue delivered from the promise of future benefit.
Nail, meet head. The poster has no conception that the program is a marketing tool to drive revenue.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
What I am wondering is if the benefits of LTPP are not much more than those of LTP, why will Marriott not offer it anymore? If it is a relatively meaningless give and people might aspire to it anyway, why not offer it?
Old Aug 1, 2018, 4:17 am

Originally Posted by Nevsky
What I am wondering is if the benefits of LTPP are not much more than those of LTP, why will Marriott not offer it anymore? If it is a relatively meaningless give and people might aspire to it anyway, why not offer it?
There could be many reasons, but it costs money and effort to maintain a level, none of which is worth spending if their data points towards the level not being necessary and/or driving revenue.

It's like when your car gets old it is no longer worth fixing, but invariably someone will ask why you are getting rid of such a great car when fixing it is cheaper than getting a new one. You know the data, the history and how the car drives but there is always someone with none of that information who thinks they know that keeping the car would be better.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
It's called a crumb... Many loyalty programs play up to the person there for the brass ring going for the highest status possible. I'd bet there will be many asking how to get LTPP after the end of the year. I find it funny those that reach the pinnacle of their program often go off to earn status in another instead of resting on their laurels and using the benefits that they have earned. I am hoping to get LTPP just to be prepared for future changes. I'm sure they will make changes down the road and we have no clue what that will involve.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 11:43 am
SPG Contributor Badge

We're all guessing the intent of the program creators. What we know for sure is this program is like a plant - it grows through time (or withers through time if mishandled).
As the program changed before it launches, it is totally probable it will change after it launches.

Therefore, it is possible they'll open up LTPP in the decade ahead - just like rare to super rare characters in video games. I can't imagine complex programming - technology gets easier and cheaper each year.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:37 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
I can't imagine complex programming - technology gets easier and cheaper each year.
Actually, this is exactly what happens. Technology gets cheaper and more capable all the time.
Old Aug 4, 2018, 2:36 am

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
It's called a crumb... Many loyalty programs play up to the person there for the brass ring going for the highest status possible. I'd bet there will be many asking how to get LTPP after the end of the year. I find it funny those that reach the pinnacle of their program often go off to earn status in another instead of resting on their laurels and using the benefits that they have earned. I am hoping to get LTPP just to be prepared for future changes. I'm sure they will make changes down the road and we have no clue what that will involve.
I hope its more than a crumb. Usually there is a correlation between making the most loyal members feel appreciated -- and incentivizing them to keep using the brand in volume.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.