Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Old Jun 19, 2018, 1:12 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Phasers
So, I am confused a bit, hoping someone can clarify:

I have 600+ nights SPG, 7 Years Plat, over 650,000 points currently in my account. I also have 100k points and over 100 nights in Marriott though I have never been elite other than silver with them. I am close to 750 nights combined if not over.

What will i get, if anything, under the combined program August 1st?
Since you have only given LT totals I assume you want to know about your future LT status. Despite having 750 nights, you will not have ten years history at status so you will not be LTP or LTPP. Points only matter if you are qualifying under the legacy Marriott program, not if you are combining. Note that there are a couple open questions in the master Wiki on the Starwood board (see answer B6) so that answer might change, but as of now your LT points will not matter.

In the new program, you will have enough nights and years to qualify for LT Gold, which will require 400 nights and at least seven years at Gold and/or Plat.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Phasers
So, I am confused a bit, hoping someone can clarify:

I have 600+ nights SPG, 7 Years Plat, over 650,000 points currently in my account. I also have 100k points and over 100 nights in Marriott though I have never been elite other than silver with them. I am close to 750 nights combined if not over.

What will i get, if anything, under the combined program August 1st?
Aren't you already SPG lifetime Gold?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 4:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by CJKatl
But I think you are reading this backwards. Marriott should not really care about the level LTPP. IMO it is an in-name only tier that allowed the company to avoid busting MR LTP down to the same level as MR LTG. By not continuing to enroll new members Marriott makes it clear they are not really interested in the level. Obviously they are interested in keeping those working toward LT status happy and interested so it seem LTP will be treated as the ultimate top LT level and LTPP will wind up pretty much getting the same benefits, which right now only include a 25% higher points balance and the 48 hour guarantee. The idea that Marriott would have any interest in rubbing some extra benefits for LTPP into the faces of those who are likely doing more business but can never attain LTPP seems counterproductive and unlikely.
Although you won't be able to earn LTPP - you can earn PP on an annual basis with 75 nights, so in that case Marriott should very much care about the level, otherwise why have it?
Old Jun 19, 2018, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by SF1K
Although you won't be able to earn LTPP - you can earn PP on an annual basis with 75 nights, so in that case Marriott should very much care about the level, otherwise why have it?
LTPP is already excluded from the SNAs/Gift Selection which is the best perk for PPs. One could easily expect exclusion from other possible future benefits as there would be no reason for Marriott to reward people in a closed level and send the message to those working on LTP qualification that there will be better level they can never achieve. I am LTPP no matter what so I really don't care but it would make no sense for Marriott to create a truly elevated experience but then tell present members they can never achieve it.
Old Jun 19, 2018, 7:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
LTPP is already excluded from the SNAs/Gift Selection which is the best perk for PPs. One could easily expect exclusion from other possible future benefits as there would be no reason for Marriott to reward people in a closed level and send the message to those working on LTP qualification that there will be better level they can never achieve. I am LTPP no matter what so I really don't care but it would make no sense for Marriott to create a truly elevated experience but then tell present members they can never achieve it.
Sure they could tie things to actually earning night thresholds. Personally I dont find the SNAs that exciting - but that may just be because Ive had such a difficult time in using them, particularly compared to the Hyatt equivalent.
Canada101 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:12 am
Suspended

You fail to grasp that SNAs are not a benefit of any particular membership tierthey are a milestone reward.

A PPE member (and a LTPPE as well) will get 5 SNAs once he hits 50 nights, even though thats the threshold for qualification as PE.

True, Marriott may tie future new benefits to nights milestones rather than qualification into a membership tier, but only up to a point, otherwise the membership tier structure would be gutted and people would simply lose the incentive to qualify for the higher tiers.

LTPPE is not a separate membership tier, rather it is a lifetime membership in the top PPE tier, for which hundreds of thousands will be qualifying each year with their 75+ nights.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 2:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA LT Gold, SPG Plat 75
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Aren't you already SPG lifetime Gold?
Why yes I am. I had completely forgotten.
Old Jun 20, 2018, 7:44 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by M.dA.R.

You fail to grasp that SNAs are not a benefit of any particular membership tierthey are a milestone reward.

A PPE member (and a LTPPE as well) will get 5 SNAs once he hits 50 nights, even though thats the threshold for qualification as PE.

True, Marriott may tie future new benefits to nights milestones rather than qualification into a membership tier, but only up to a point, otherwise the membership tier structure would be gutted and people would simply lose the incentive to qualify for the higher tiers.

LTPPE is not a separate membership tier, rather it is a lifetime membership in the top PPE tier, for which hundreds of thousands will be qualifying each year with their 75+ nights.
This reminds me a bit of the way the rules for WOH are written, with some stuff tied to actual nights rather than tier levels. It means that those receiving comped status don't get the suite upgrade certs, etc. which many people would consider to be a good thing (although Hyatt does give its TSUs to lifetime Glob, which requires a lot of spend).
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:03 am

Programs: UA1KMM SPGPLAT
I really hope that the LTPP level is not meaningless given all the parameters they set to qualify for it. It would be sort of cruel for the new program to create such controversy regarding qualification requirements for LTPP without any substance behind it. Right now, the only additional benefit we know of so far is a small additional earning bonus. I hope there is more than that -- maybe some upgrade priority, etc.?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by ocn2ocn
I really hope that the LTPP level is not meaningless given all the parameters they set to qualify for it. It would be sort of cruel for the new program to create such controversy regarding qualification requirements for LTPP without any substance behind it. Right now, the only additional benefit we know of so far is a small additional earning bonus. I hope there is more than that -- maybe some upgrade priority, etc.?
I had been more hopeful when the new combined program was originally announced and LTPP was to require MR LTP status with no exceptions. Now that everyone and their dog can get LTPP with only 750 lifetime nights and ten years total with 25 SPG stays, 50 SPG nights, or 50 MR nights (or five years total of participation in hotel frequent sleeper programs, with no Plat status ever required and not ever a single year of 50+ nights in a single program required), I fear that my hard earned LTPP from MR LTP won't be worth much.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:32 am

Originally Posted by ocn2ocn
What would be the benefit to Marriott in providing additional benefit to LTPP? Those at the level still doing significant business with Marriott will have present status and benefit from that, so we are really talking people no longer doing much business. Those still qualifying for LTP, who will be doing lots of business, will never be able to get LTPP so will Marriott want them to think they can never attain the really cool level or will Marriott want them to think LTP is just as good? It makes no sense for Marriott to do anything that makes LTPP significantly better than LTP. LTPP is not a group Marriott will want to court, we are a group Marriott has to deal with because of past promises. Marriott is not a charity, it is a business looking to maximize profits and we LTPP just aren't an important market in that reference.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, A List Pref, Marriott Ambassador
What would be the benefit to Marriott in providing additional benefit to LTPP? Those at the level still doing significant business with Marriott will have present status and benefit from that, so we are really talking people no longer doing much business. Those still qualifying for LTP, who will be doing lots of business, will never be able to get LTPP so will Marriott want them to think they can never attain the really cool level or will Marriott want them to think LTP is just as good? It makes no sense for Marriott to do anything that makes LTPP significantly better than LTP. LTPP is not a group Marriott will want to court, we are a group Marriott has to deal with because of past promises. Marriott is not a charity, it is a business looking to maximize profits and we LTPP just aren't an important market in that reference.
What you fail to grasp is that they do have a business interest in incentivizing people to stay more than 50 nights. LTP and LTPP are the same as P and PP for guests currently staying all the time (minus the suite certs). It's like when AA only had three levels...I knew I would never get to 100k miles so as soon as I got Plat I switched to another carrier and had elite status in both. You're right if the decision only affected lifetime status members but it impacts everyone...so I suspect PP will be better than just P
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by davidsc111
What you fail to grasp is that they do have a business interest in incentivizing people to stay more than 50 nights. LTP and LTPP are the same as P and PP for guests currently staying all the time (minus the suite certs). It's like when AA only had three levels...I knew I would never get to 100k miles so as soon as I got Plat I switched to another carrier and had elite status in both. You're right if the decision only affected lifetime status members but it impacts everyone...so I suspect PP will be better than just P
I fully expect as an LTPP I will be excluded from any meaningful PP benefits that might be added in the future. Marriott will want to make LTP appear as a worthy goal so there is no incentive to add something to LTPP making it better than LTP. Already we are excluded from the SNAs or gift selection. It would be easy and would make sense for Marriott to similarly exclude us from other perks. While there is a business reason to reward those staying more than 75 nights, there is no reason to reward a closed group of people who are no longer staying much let alone make it appear that group is getting something that those who are working on LT can never receive. We are not PPs, we are LTPPs and already subject to restrictions on what we get versus PPs.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:54 pm
Suspended

I fully expect as an LTPP I will be excluded from any meaningful PP benefits that might be added in the future.
we have different expectations

We are not PPs, we are LTPPs and already subject to restrictions on what we get versus PPs.
Wrong. You are lifetime PP, getting the exact same benefits as a non-lifetime PP.

SNAs are not a tier-related benefit, but a reward for hitting 50 and 75 nights in a year. PPs also get 5 SNAs when they hit 50 despite this being the threshold for plat qualification, a membership tier to which they arent qualifying. LTPs also dont get any SNAs if they dont do the BiBs.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by M.dA.R.
You are lifetime PP, getting the exact same benefits as a non-lifetime PP.

SNAs are not a tier-related benefit, but a reward for hitting 50 and 75 nights in a year. PPs also get 5 SNAs when they hit 50 despite this being the threshold for plat qualification, a membership tier to which they arent qualifying. LTPs also dont get any SNAs if they dont do the BiBs.
Your second paragraph contradicts your first.

There will be another explanation why we do not qualify for the next perk. LTPP is not PP, it is LTPP.
broadwayboy likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.