Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
That is of course true - I'm sure there are plenty of people like that.

Think about those well short though - you were never Plat (or didn't have enough Plat years over that time), and now you're bumped up to that level...for life. Doesn't feel overly generous to you? Does that really match the intent of the "10 years of Plat" requirements they are putting out there for this one time LTPP qualification?
Take this hypothetical MR member. Now change all those MR nights and years to be at SPG properties. Same stay pattern. Same number of nights. But now 15 years of SPG Platinum and 750 nights. Why does this person "deserve" it any more? Why is that more "fair"? You're getting caught up on metal labels when it's been clear that the program is "re-metaling"
Old May 25, 2018, 12:29 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
I can't help but conclude you're willfully misrepresenting what's been plainly said. So I'm done engaging on this topic.
Old May 25, 2018, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CLEguy
Take this hypothetical MR member. Now change all those MR nights and years to be at SPG properties. Same stay pattern. Same number of nights. But now 15 years of SPG Platinum and 750 nights. Why does this person "deserve" it any more? Why is that more "fair"? You're getting caught up on metal labels when it's been clear that the program is "re-metaling"
Because Platinum is Platinum, and it is recognizing those from each program who made the top level of status for ten different years.

The program is "re-metaling" going forward, that is not in doubt - but again, the answer to B10 references the "new program" (and there is no LTPP in the new program).

Originally Posted by CLEguy
I can't help but conclude you're willfully misrepresenting what's been plainly said.
If I am mis-representing it, so are a whole lot of other people who see it the same way.

So I'm done engaging on this topic.
Happily.
Old May 25, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm hitting 50 nights with SPG in early July for my 9th year, and will likely go out of my way to get 50 nights with Marriott by late July for my 10th. So I'll report back if I get grandfathered or not when programs merge. If I don't, then that means you'll need 75 nights.
Old May 25, 2018, 1:39 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Because Platinum is Platinum,
The two programs did not have plats with the same requirements. MR Gold was similar to SPG Plat in terms or eligibility requirements. Marriott has consistently passed along that message. Plat is not Plat; SPG Plat is Marriott Gold. You night not like that but it's the consistent message being given from the company.
Old May 25, 2018, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The two programs did not have plats with the same requirements. MR Gold was similar to SPG Plat in terms or eligibility requirements. Marriott has consistently passed along that message. Plat is not Plat; SPG Plat is Marriott Gold. You night not like that but it's the consistent message being given from the company.
Except when counting up years for LT status. Then Plat is Plat.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by RichMSN
Except when counting up years for LT status. Then Plat is Plat.
Not according to the Lurker's vetted and approved answer in the Wiki. MR Gold counts as a year towards what is needed for LTPP.

And please do not trot out that the old rules state... Under the old rules there was no counting years from the two programs, so qualifying under a combo of the two programs is all new rules anyway. The Lurker has made it clear in that count MR Gold years will be included just like the SPG 50 night level will be included.
Old May 25, 2018, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I must be confused then, as Marriott matched my SPG Plat status to Marriott Plat (not Gold) when I linked my accounts...
Old May 25, 2018, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
So how about this one...

My girlfriend's dogwalker's hairdresser's masseuse's carpenter's boss is SPGLTGold with 751 total SPG nights. He wants to know if he will be grandfathered into LTPP as well?
Old May 25, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by myperks

you must be mistaken because the elite counter says “Years elite” and that doesn’t necessarily mean years that you were platinum elite.

In the dashboard, when you click on the "Lifetime" button, it tells you the "years elite". For me, it shows "Years Elite", but I am LTG, so the graphic below shows my progress towards LTP, thus the years I have that are Plat years (for me, it's 5 years elite, 3 of which were Plat). I'm guessing that if you are not LTG, it will just show years of either gold or plat (i.e. progress towards LTG) and thus your problem. Of course, you can probably just call SPG and ask them, given that they track this information

As a side note to the whole "Will MR Gold count as Plat for earning LTPP" discussion, I may have missed it, but has their been any guidance on whether they will consider a MR Gold year granted by being UA Gold (through the RewardsPlus program) a qualifying year as MR Gold (or Plat in the case of LTPP).

Last edited by tods27; May 25, 2018 at 3:16 pm
Old May 25, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
delete
Old May 25, 2018, 3:20 pm

I must be confused then, as Marriott matched my SPG Plat status to Marriott Plat (not Gold) when I linked my accounts...
That was only for linking until the program details were announced. It has been very clear since the April announcement and been made clearer since then that SPG Plat is equal to Marriott Gold. You know that. Since the new program announcement, Marriott has been very clear about that. Fifty night qualification levels are equal, as fairness and parity would require. The new announcement is in line with that.
Old May 25, 2018, 6:32 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
That was only for linking until the program details were announced. It has been very clear since the April announcement and been made clearer since then that SPG Plat is equal to Marriott Gold. You know that. Since the new program announcement, Marriott has been very clear about that. Fifty night qualification levels are equal, as fairness and parity would require. The new announcement is in line with that.
Fairness is also different from everyone. Mariott has 3 times the footprint, thus easier to stay in one compared to Starwoods. Besides there are cultural differences between members of Marriott Rewards and SPG members so these back and forth is showing the fault lines of this SPG-Marriott marriage.

I am always in a position that nights earned by credit cards are different than night earned by sleeping in a bed and that too is different from nights earned by hosting events.

I gave some thought why this new program requires 100-night stayers to spend $20,000 to get the ambassador and the Your24. It didn't make sense on the my SPG member perspective because if 100 nights were butt-in-bed nights, these members really deserve the perks. After reading some threads of the Marriott forum (A place I rarely visit until this month after new program annoucement).... I understand what we're dealing with because the sheer game and tricks going on. A thread on mad dash to 2million points. A thread on using meetings for nights in ways not in the spirit of the establish program.

In SPG culture, we don't have these games and even those "game-like" proposiitons of "count 3 rooms" are pretty expensive to do a matress run due to the high protions of our hotels in higher end properties. Our program are really designed to reward frequent staying guests. Among my years earning the honest way to lifetime status, I never quesiton if someone is Plat 75 or Plat 100 if they somehow trick their way in by doing something less honorable. Maybe they had a few nights with multiple rooms and paid 3 times the amount but general consenus is Plat 50/75/100 don't do matress runs to up to the next higher Plat level. There maybe some cases of matress run to go from Gold to Plat or Plat-lite (ie less than 50 nights) to the Plat 50.

As I join this new merged family, I find myself having these never before questions. You're the new Plat Premier? Did you really stay 75 nights or you got some bonus nights by credit cards? Or meetings? Or Roll-over nights?

So when nights are not just coming from sleeping in hotels, they needed something that can filter those really frequent stayers of hotels. Because the Mariott's program with so much game/tricks, management just decided to use the bluntest tool - cold hard cash of $20,000 spending in Mariott hotels. For SPG members who earn by sleeping in beds, I think we can welcome similar abeit lower spending threashold requriement for the new non-lifetime Platinum Premier level (75 nights level) and Platinum level (50 nights level). That's the one of the blunt ways of really increasing our experience in upgrade and such in the new merged program.
Old May 25, 2018, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
@yeunganson

Interesting analysis.

Admittedly I don't know much about the Marriott side, but I am definitely one of those 100% BIB SPG members.
Old May 25, 2018, 8:31 pm

Programs: SPG Titanium, United Premier 1K
I have 9 years Platinum on SPG through last year. Just to confirm: I have until Dec 31 to stay 25 nights in SPG properties and I should be ok, correct? (i.e. I can still qualify with stays until Dec 31).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.