Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
I don't understand why Marriott members can qualify via points or years elite and SPG members can't qualify via points.

How will it work for a Marriott members to earn 2MM points if they're short on 8/1. Will they be able to earn points at SPG hotels and count it towards the 2MM? Or they can only earn at legacy Marriott hotels?
Old May 11, 2018, 1:36 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Medved
True. Depends on your luck and property. My biggest scores were 15 nights each at 2 nice beach resorts and 10 nights at now gone Westin Our Luckaya (Bahamas), plus maybe a dozen of over 6 nights stays at a big city property (there I would stay 3-4 times a year for 10 years). Not giving actual names as do not want other plats to flood them and ask for similar treatment . Many failures as well. But I don't have much experience staying over 5 nights in the same place except my 2 or 3 regular spots. 5 nights upgrades I have had a bunch. But this belongs to a different thread I guess.
I was actually thinking the same thing. Some of my best upgrades ever were on 6-8 night stays. In one instance they specifically told me that so few guests stayed that long, they wanted to reward me. (These were all Luxury Collection properties)
Old May 11, 2018, 1:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by Vote
My first post, please kindly help me
--> I have been quite a loyalty to SPG.
Now SPG Lifetime Gold
- 750+ SPG lifetime nights
- SPG Member since 2008 with 10 years elite(I don't understand this)
- Less than 10 MR nights
- 8 Years SPG PLT(2018 included)
If this year I do 75 nights MR--> I will get +1 Platinum year toward the unified program --> 9 years
I am quite sad about my situation just 1 year short for the LTPP.
Is that anything I can do to get this.
BTW, I don't know why MR has to discontinueLTPP staus.
Welcome to FlyerTalk, Vote!

Based on your circumstances, the only way to achieve LTPP is via 750 MR nights and 2MM points between now and 12/31, which is unlikely but not impossible. However, LT Platinum is within your reach next year, and you can use the extra year to accelerate the process.

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
I don't understand why Marriott members can qualify via points or years elite and SPG members can't qualify via points.

How will it work for a Marriott members to earn 2MM points if they're short on 8/1. Will they be able to earn points at SPG hotels and count it towards the 2MM? Or they can only earn at legacy Marriott hotels?
Because they are retaining legacy rules and maintain some type of new path forward that's customer-friendly easier to understand. They could have created the new path as 750 nights + 666,667 lifetime SPG points, but did not since a) that's equivalent of spending $222,222* for lifetime hotel stays, versus $200,000* for MR members, and more people would complain; b) SPG may not have the system or data to support calculation of lifetime points earned (doubtful, but possible); c) # of year elite is congruent with the LT program under the new program; d) 666 is just not a good number for a Mormon-founded company.

* not accounting for bonus/promotional miles, miles earned via credit cards, airline partners, etc.
Old May 11, 2018, 1:43 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I've stayed at hundreds of SPG properties around the world (if I got my 1,725 SPG nights at only a few properties, I think I'd go insane) and I got upgrades as a SPG P/LTP out the wazoo. I will miss this the most about the new program... I expect it to be somewhere in the middle of the stinginess of MR and the "spirit" of SPG.
Nomad, my semordnilapic friend- I agree with you !
Old May 11, 2018, 2:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
I've stayed at hundreds of SPG properties around the world (if I got my 1,725 SPG nights at only a few properties, I think I'd go insane) and I got upgrades as a SPG P/LTP out the wazoo. I will miss this the most about the new program... I expect it to be somewhere in the middle of the stinginess of MR and the "spirit" of SPG.
Please don't be that pessimistic, brother (or sister ). Let's hope for the best. I stopped counting my props at 104 (I don't know why), all 5 SPG continents. Upgrades left, right and center. Same goes for failures. On a positive note -- tried Marriott first time 6 weeks ago in Japan in locations where SPG wasn't present -- Shinagawa, Fuji and Nagano area. Got upgraded to 1 full suite with the full view of Fuji Mountain (small but Japanese style, kids loved sleeping on tatami in the sitting room) and two good size junior suites. One hotel was near empty, 2 -- pretty full.
Old May 11, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
Thank you for bringing good memories. 2 or 3 times I was specifically told by front desk that my extended stay will be in a full suite. I politely obliged True, LCs like longer stays -- fewer people can afford them (both $$, points and time constraints). Even fewer can afford suites. Many Grand Dames in Europe start from €1K.The funniest comment though was last Christmas at Sheraton Porto. FD manager regretted that my upgraded junior suite would be ready only after 4PM. We were there at 11AM (I'm not P75+, so no 24). Apologetically, he offered full executive suite. What can I say?Le roi est mort, vive le roi!, SPG is dead, long live Marriott!
damon88 and Travelosopher like this.
Old May 11, 2018, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Medved
Thank you for bringing good memories. 2 or 3 times I was specifically told by front desk that my extended stay will be in a full suite. I politely obliged True, LCs like longer stays -- fewer people can afford them (both $$, points and time constraints). Even fewer can afford suites. Many Grand Dames in Europe start from €1K.The funniest comment though was last Christmas at Sheraton Porto. FD manager regretted that my upgraded junior suite would be ready only after 4PM. We were there at 11AM (I'm not P75+, so no 24). Apologetically, he offered full executive suite. What can I say?Le roi est mort, vive le roi!, SPG is dead, long live Marriott!
This happened often to me at various properties as well!

My upgrade successes totally kill the failures... 90% successes of varying degrees.

One of many that come to mind that's similar to your situation, when I checked in one morning at the Sheraton Warsaw (by that point I had already stayed there a few times) they said my junior suite wasn't ready and apologized. I asked if they could put me into any room available so that I could simply nap and take a shower as I had to be up in the evening, and was quite tired from my TATL journey that morning. They obliged and I got my basic room to nap and freshen up. I then got a call from FDM and they apologized for the wait and said my room was now ready and they would slip the new keys under my door.

I got to my room. It was the Presidential Suite! (if anyone has stayed at the Sheraton Warsaw's Presidential Suite, they will most likely agree with me that it is one of the largest Pres Suites in SPG at the time... even larger than the ones at Le Meridein Hamburg or the former Le Meridien Vilnius and several others I've been in.
Old May 11, 2018, 3:21 pm
SPG Contributor Badge

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
This happened often to me at various properties as well!

My upgrade successes totally kill the failures... 90% successes of varying degrees.

One of many that come to mind that's similar to your situation, when I checked in one morning at the Sheraton Warsaw (by that point I had already stayed there a few times) they said my junior suite wasn't ready and apologized. I asked if they could put me into any room available so that I could simply nap and take a shower as I had to be up in the evening, and was quite tired from my TATL journey that morning. They obliged and I got my basic room to nap and freshen up. I then got a call from FDM and they apologized for the wait and said my room was now ready and they would slip the new keys under my door.

I got to my room. It was the Presidential Suite! (if anyone has stayed at the Sheraton Warsaw's Presidential Suite, they will most likely agree with me that it is one of the largest Pres Suites in SPG at the time... even larger than the ones at Le Meridein Hamburg or the former Le Meridien Vilnius and several others I've been in.
I got sprinkles of good upgrades through the years. The most valuable is when I am on vacation and those upgrades happen. My standards are quite low.
The old Le Meridian Shinagawa Tokyo - 2 room suite (first time ever getting one so it was memorable)
The old Le Meridian Grand Pacific Tokyo (in Daiba) - big ocean view room
Westin Seattle - presidential suite I think it is - biggest I ever had in all these years
The St. Regis Princeville Resort Hawaii - a wonderful ocean suite
Excelsior Hotel Gallia, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Milan - a suite AND got driven around in a Bentley (first time in one of those cars)...
W Hong Kong - the only W that gave me a suite in the first few years it opened - it was huge and high tech without enough "human" consideration
The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, a Luxury Collection Hotel - a huge suite on my first visit - good memories because.... I got a date there.

Some after staying for a decade finally gotten some suites out of it in the last 2 years
Westin Tokyo - Suite upgrade started happening on my 7th year of half-yearly visits
Sheraton Miyako Tokyo - upgrade to the top floor - after 8th year of annual visits every year

The place that I turn down a suite on vacation
Sheraton Hong Kong - I like their Ocean View rooms much much more. Top floor "tower" Ocean view rooms are good too - especially during fireworks

I will truly miss all this. I think our upgrade success rate would drop drastically next year. This year, we still have the 10 SNA in our arsenal to soften the impact.
Old May 11, 2018, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by yeunganson
I got sprinkles of good upgrades through the years. The most valuable is when I am on vacation and those upgrades happen. My standards are quite low.
The old Le Meridian Shinagawa Tokyo - 2 room suite (first time ever getting one so it was memorable)
The old Le Meridian Grand Pacific Tokyo (in Daiba) - big ocean view room
Westin Seattle - presidential suite I think it is - biggest I ever had in all these years
The St. Regis Princeville Resort Hawaii - a wonderful ocean suite
Excelsior Hotel Gallia, a Luxury Collection Hotel, Milan - a suite AND got driven around in a Bentley (first time in one of those cars)...
W Hong Kong - the only W that gave me a suite in the first few years it opened - it was huge and high tech without enough "human" consideration
The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho, a Luxury Collection Hotel - a huge suite on my first visit - good memories because.... I got a date there.

Some after staying for a decade finally gotten some suites out of it in the last 2 years
Westin Tokyo - Suite upgrade started happening on my 7th year of half-yearly visits
Sheraton Miyako Tokyo - upgrade to the top floor - after 8th year of annual visits every year

The place that I turn down a suite on vacation
Sheraton Hong Kong - I like their Ocean View rooms much much more. Top floor "tower" Ocean view rooms are good too - especially during fireworks

I will truly miss all this. I think our upgrade success rate would drop drastically next year. This year, we still have the 10 SNA in our arsenal to soften the impact.
Be more optimistic. Everything will be fine.
SNAs in my opinion are not much value. Many times got rejected but upgraded upon arrival. Got sometimes some upgrades but my also plat buddy got same or better in the same hotel w/o SNAs. His even couldn't apply his at Grand Bretagne in Athens but got same size suite with palace view. I got same size but with back street view with SNAs (better for me -- I hate noise). In 2016 I was trying to apply them at a number of nondescript props along US coast, some of them 3 times each! -- ended up with 9 of them expiring. It was end of August though but still...
Old May 11, 2018, 7:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Is combining programs the same as linking programs? I'm linked now so I can, for example, move points between SPG and MR. Will there be anything more to be done in August?
Old May 11, 2018, 7:11 pm

Programs: Many. Some top-tier, others not.
I guess I'll be OK in the new program:

Old May 11, 2018, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by JackE
Is combining programs the same as linking programs? I'm linked now so I can, for example, move points between SPG and MR. Will there be anything more to be done in August?
Starting in August combining is a seperate process that the member will have to perform if and when desired.
Old May 11, 2018, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by SFBayGuy

No you may fall short. You better get to 2000 nights before Dec 31. Congratulations.
SFBayGuy likes this.
Old May 11, 2018, 7:57 pm

Programs: *wood & marriott plat, Hyatt, Accor
Thanks Marriott... I've got over 750 nights and LTP at *wood am really glad will be grand fathered to LTPP. Will be staying about 75 nights combine between the two programs. Look forward to the merger.
Old May 11, 2018, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by SFBayGuy

You *barely* made it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.