Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

    Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 27, 19, 8:09 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: rny321
Wiki Link
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

Old May 10, 18, 12:49 pm
  #166  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: CT/ Germany - Ich spreche deutsch
Programs: UA Plat, AA Gold, LH Silver, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, Hyatt Disc, PC Plat, CC Gold
Posts: 4,576
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself View Post
Why don't you just finish up your 10 years of SPG before August, get LTP in SPG and be definitely grandfathered in to LTPP in the new programme? Then you don't have to worry any more. ... I'm sure you can generate 25 stays before August to get Platinum...
If I could I would...but I cannot complete by August. Have more travel in 4th Quarter this year.
christianj is offline  
Old May 10, 18, 2:59 pm
  #167  
SPG 5+ Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: La Jolla, CA
Programs: Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond (C) Hyatt Explorist (M)
Posts: 2,601
The Points Guy has new corrected info from Marriott
  • Current members of both programs with significant nights/elite status tenure(s): After initially receiving different information, weve since received confirmation from a Marriott representative that this new qualification method will look at combined activity across both programs once you combine your accounts in August. As a result, if youve already hit the 750-night threshold with a combined 10+ years of Platinum status across the two programs (or are able to reach those two thresholds based on your combined activity by December 31, 2018), youll enjoy Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status.
For this last group, heres the example our Marriott representative provided TPG:

If by 12/31/18 a member has five years Platinum with SPG and 250 nights, and five years Platinum with Marriott Rewards and 500 nights, they qualify [for Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status].
https://www.google.com/amp/s/thepoin...m-premier/amp/

Kudos to Marriott for clarifying

Kudos to TPG for following up

🙏
damon88 is offline  
Old May 10, 18, 3:00 pm
  #168  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Treasure Coast of FL (MCO/MLB/PBI)
Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 844
Hello everyone. I am the author of both yesterday's post and today's in-depth analysis on TPG. I have recently updated both articles, as we were given conflicting information in initial conversations with a Marriott representative. This individual has since confirmed that combined nights AND years of elite status will count towards Lifetime Platinum Premier status when the activity is combined in August. Here is the illustrative example given:

“If by 12/31/18 a member has five years Platinum with SPG and 250 nights, and five years Platinum with Marriott Rewards and 500 nights, they qualify [for Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status].”

I hope this offers at least some clarity!
unclepants likes this.
Deemus7 is offline  
Old May 10, 18, 3:01 pm
  #169  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Treasure Coast of FL (MCO/MLB/PBI)
Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 844
Originally Posted by damon88 View Post
The Points Guy has new corrected info from Marriott

Kudos to Marriott for clarifying

Kudos to TPG for following up

🙏
Beat me to the punch!!
Deemus7 is offline  
Old May 10, 18, 3:04 pm
  #170  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,545
Originally Posted by Deemus7 View Post
Hello everyone. I am the author of both yesterday's post and today's in-depth analysis on TPG. I have recently updated both articles, as we were given conflicting information in initial conversations with a Marriott representative. This individual has since confirmed that combined nights AND years of elite status will count towards Lifetime Platinum Premier status when the activity is combined in August. Here is the illustrative example given:

If by 12/31/18 a member has five years Platinum with SPG and 250 nights, and five years Platinum with Marriott Rewards and 500 nights, they qualify [for Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status].

I hope this offers at least some clarity!
Did you clarify that prior years of Marriott Gold will count toward the 10 years of platinum status?
Ord Liza is offline  
Old May 10, 18, 3:07 pm
  #171  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Treasure Coast of FL (MCO/MLB/PBI)
Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 844
Originally Posted by Ord Liza View Post
Did you clarify that prior years of Marriott Gold will count toward the 10 years of platinum status?
No, but I believe that is addressed in the FAQs:

We are keeping members whole in the applicable night tier in which they earned their Elite status.

Example: If a member has 4 years of Elite status at the 50 night level (Gold Elite status) they will be counted in August and beyond as 4 years at the new 50 night level (Platinum Elite status). Only the names of the levels are changing. How we account for tenure is not changing.
Deemus7 is offline  
Old May 10, 18, 3:11 pm
  #172  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,545
Originally Posted by Deemus7 View Post
No, but I believe that is addressed in the FAQs:

We are keeping members “whole” in the applicable night tier in which they earned their Elite status.

Example: If a member has 4 years of Elite status at the 50 night level (Gold Elite status) they will be counted in August and beyond as 4 years at the new 50 night level (Platinum Elite status). Only the names of the levels are changing. How we account for tenure is not changing.
That is what I think (because I can't figure out why else they'd have that language), but it would be nice to have that clarified or to at least see an example from Marriott where they specify a combination of platinum nights and marriott gold nights as totaling the 10 required platinum nights.
Ord Liza is offline  
Old May 10, 18, 3:15 pm
  #173  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Treasure Coast of FL (MCO/MLB/PBI)
Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Posts: 844
Originally Posted by Ord Liza View Post
That is what I think (because I can't figure out why else they'd have that language), but it would be nice to have that clarified or to at least see an example from Marriott where they specify a combination of platinum nights and marriott gold nights as totaling the 10 required platinum nights.
I think they put that language in to reassure long-time Marriott Gold members that they wouldn't be "reset" with lifetime qualification. If you regularly did 60 nights with Marriott Rewards but couldn't get to 75 for Platinum, it would be messed up for them to count those years as Gold, since it's really the equivalent of SPG Platinum/new program Platinum.

(Side note: I can't WAIT to learn the new program's name so I can stop referring to it so generically!!)
Deemus7 is offline  
Old May 10, 18, 3:34 pm
  #174  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Posts: 753
Originally Posted by Deemus7 View Post
Hello everyone. I am the author of both yesterday's post and today's in-depth analysis on TPG. I have recently updated both articles, as we were given conflicting information in initial conversations with a Marriott representative. This individual has since confirmed that combined nights AND years of elite status will count towards Lifetime Platinum Premier status when the activity is combined in August. Here is the illustrative example given:

“If by 12/31/18 a member has five years Platinum with SPG and 250 nights, and five years Platinum with Marriott Rewards and 500 nights, they qualify [for Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status].”

I hope this offers at least some clarity!
Are people who earned 2MM MR points able to qualify using combined nights from MR and SPG? Since years of Platinum status wasn't considered in the current Marriott program and points were, it would seem unfair to not to include that option.
rny321 is offline  
Old May 10, 18, 3:53 pm
  #175  
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Albany, NY
Programs: SPG LTP, Hyatt Globalist, HH Gold, IHGPlat, RadGold, Marriott Plat, BW Diamond
Posts: 172
Thank you, Deemus7, for posting this updated information from Marriott representatives. This is EXACTLY the clarification that I needed to be sure that my COMBINED lifetime SPG (563) and Marriott (278) nights totaling 841 - along with my more than 10 years of SPG Platinum elite status - will be sufficient to attain MR LTPP later this year!
SF1K likes this.

Last edited by Travelosopher; May 10, 18 at 3:57 pm Reason: left out a name
Travelosopher is offline  
Old May 10, 18, 3:57 pm
  #176  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Posts: 3,362
Originally Posted by rny321 View Post
Are people who earned 2MM MR points able to qualify using combined nights from MR and SPG? Since years of Platinum status wasn't considered in the current Marriott program and points were, it would seem unfair to not to include that option.
At this stage no. I think the idea behind the up-roar and then the change from Marriott was to truly look at SPG Lifetime Platinums and make it as equitable as possible to MR LT Platinums. Since the 750 nights was something that SPG members weren't chasing and the thinking being that those that earned the highest LT status in each program separately should be the same in the new program going forward. When the program was first announced that was not going to be the case. So Marriott equalized things a bit by allowing 10 years Platinum (combined) and 750 nights (combined) to get access to LTPP. Remember it is not like they are just giving LTPP to all SPGLTP. It does also have to stop somewhere. Otherwise we could start to have arguments of "I would be platinum for 10 years if each of those ten years the nights of that year between SPG and Marriott were combined".

There was a clear path to top LT status in each program before the merger and to ask them to go back and recalculate everything just because it is more lucrative would be really unrealistic. Again it is not like they are giving LTPP to all SPGLTP - just those that had the same number of total combined nights, and they are doing the same thing for MRLTP.
SF1K is offline  
Old May 10, 18, 4:25 pm
  #177  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Posts: 753
Originally Posted by SF1K View Post
At this stage no. I think the idea behind the up-roar and then the change from Marriott was to truly look at SPG Lifetime Platinums and make it as equitable as possible to MR LT Platinums. Since the 750 nights was something that SPG members weren't chasing and the thinking being that those that earned the highest LT status in each program separately should be the same in the new program going forward. When the program was first announced that was not going to be the case. So Marriott equalized things a bit by allowing 10 years Platinum (combined) and 750 nights (combined) to get access to LTPP. Remember it is not like they are just giving LTPP to all SPGLTP. It does also have to stop somewhere. Otherwise we could start to have arguments of "I would be platinum for 10 years if each of those ten years the nights of that year between SPG and Marriott were combined".

There was a clear path to top LT status in each program before the merger and to ask them to go back and recalculate everything just because it is more lucrative would be really unrealistic. Again it is not like they are giving LTPP to all SPGLTP - just those that had the same number of total combined nights, and they are doing the same thing for MRLTP.
I would have needed another year to qualify under the existing Marriott criteria. Since years of status didn't count, I have several years where I was a few nights short that I would have handled differently if years of status had mattered. If nights and elite status weren't added together, I would not have objected to not combining nights for those who earned the required number of Marriott points. Since lifetime Marriott points are currently shown in Marriott accounts, unlike years of elite status, there would be no need to recalculate anything.
rny321 is offline  
Old May 10, 18, 4:27 pm
  #178  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YVR
Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson
Posts: 34,863
Originally Posted by damon88 View Post
The Points Guy has new corrected info from Marriott
  • Current members of both programs with significant nights/elite status tenure(s): After initially receiving different information, weve since received confirmation from a Marriott representative that this new qualification method will look at combined activity across both programs once you combine your accounts in August. As a result, if youve already hit the 750-night threshold with a combined 10+ years of Platinum status across the two programs (or are able to reach those two thresholds based on your combined activity by December 31, 2018), youll enjoy Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status.
For this last group, heres the example our Marriott representative provided TPG:



https://www.google.com/amp/s/thepoin...m-premier/amp/

Kudos to Marriott for clarifying

Kudos to TPG for following up

🙏
Great news! Even though I meet the requirements for LTPPE as a SPGLTP1725, I'm happy for those who can do it with combined programs. ^
Plumber likes this.
yyznomad is offline  
Old May 10, 18, 4:32 pm
  #179  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: San Francisco, CA, USA
Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Posts: 3,362
Originally Posted by rny321 View Post
I would have needed another year to qualify under the existing Marriott criteria. Since years of status didn't count, I have several years where I was a few nights short that I would have handled differently if years of status had mattered. If nights and elite status weren't added together, I would not have objected to not combining nights for those who earned the required number of Marriott points. Since lifetime Marriott points are currently shown in Marriott accounts, unlike years of elite status, there would be no need to recalculate anything.
Did you already make MR Platinum for this year? If so any possibility that you can earn SPG Platinum by end of year (25 stays or 50 nights). Then that should count as 2 years towards the 10 years. Just a thought.

or I thought that it's pretty easy to get some MR points for the 2million required? - I truly don't know that because I've never looked into it, just from some things that I've read on here.
SF1K is offline  
Old May 10, 18, 4:45 pm
  #180  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: New York
Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Posts: 753
Originally Posted by SF1K View Post
Did you already make MR Platinum for this year? If so any possibility that you can earn SPG Platinum by end of year (25 stays or 50 nights). Then that should count as 2 years towards the 10 years. Just a thought.

or I thought that it's pretty easy to get some MR points for the 2million required? - I truly don't know that because I've never looked into it, just from some things that I've read on here.
I will have 2MM lifetime MR points and far more SPG points that I am not including in the 2MM. I will have about 650 Marriott nights and >750 if nights were combined. I should have over 100 nights combined this year.
rny321 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread