Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 9, 2018, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rny321
PATHWAYS TO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE STATUS:

1. Legacy Marriott Lifetime Platinum - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 2MM Marriott Rewards points earned - not available after 1/1/2019
2. New Combined Program - 750 [MR+SPG] nights & 10 years combined/total as Platinum members previously under MR and/or SPG as of 12/31/2018 - not available after 1/1/2019

From members.marriott.com:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019).

FAQ from members.marriott.com

Q: CAN I EARN LIFETIME STATUS UNDER THE LEGACY REQUIREMENTS (ACTIVE PRIOR TO AUGUST 2018) FOR LIFETIME ELITE STATUS IN MARRIOTT REWARDS, RITZ-CARLTON REWARDS OR SPG? IF SO, WHEN WILL I BE NOTIFIED OF MY LIFETIME ELITE STATUS?

A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Example: An SPG member has 300 Lifetime nights, 4 years of Gold Elite Status, and 1 year of Platinum Elite Status after August, 2018. Under the SPG legacy Lifetime requirements, this member would earn Lifetime Gold Elite status which would reflect in their account January 2019.

Q: IF I WILL NOT BE GRANDFATHERED INTO LIFETIME PLATINUM PREMIER ELITE, WILL I HAVE THE ABILITY TO EARN INTO THIS LEVEL IN 2018?

A: Yes, members can earn Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite in 2018 if they achieve 750 Lifetime nights and 10 years at Platinum Elite status. This requirement is only for 2018 and will not be continued in future years. Members will receive notice of this Lifetime achievement in January 2019.
Print Wikipost

SPG Lifetime Platinums Can Now Qualify For Lifetime Titanium Status

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
TPG published a new article this morning indicating that they received confirmation from Marriott that MR/SPG lifetime nights and years of platinum activity will be combined on 8/1/18, and that accounts on both the historical MR and SPG side with 750+ nights and 10+ years platinum will receive LTPP (and any other applicable legacy tiers), as long as those numbers are attained by 12/31/18.

https://thepointsguy.com/guide/lifetime-status-new-marriott-program/

Key points in the article...

"We’ve received confirmation from Marriott that your activity for the rest of the year at both Marriott and SPG hotels will count toward both of the legacy programs’ qualification criteria. As a result, if you’re within striking distance of any of these levels in one of the programs, it could make a lot of sense to grab the remaining nights and/or base points by December 31, and you have the entire combined portfolio of brands."

"In addition, Marriott just announced an update for those SPG Lifetime Platinums with 750+ nights (who by definition also have 10 or more years of Platinum status). These members will now be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite, just like existing Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite members will be."

"Almost SPG Lifetime Platinum members: If you’ve had SPG Platinum status for 10+ years and are within striking distance of SPG Lifetime Platinum but won’t be able to reach the 500-night threshold by December 31, you’re looking at an additional 100 nights to reach that level in the new program. This would be dulled a bit if you’ve also had some significant night activity with Marriott, as those lifetime balances will be combined as of August 1. However, if you’re at 450 nights with Starwood and can’t get another 50 by the end of the year, your qualification threshold jumps from 500 to 600 nights in the new program."

Last edited by jrothenb; May 10, 2018 at 8:19 am
Old May 10, 2018, 8:42 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
I wish SPG/Marriott would say one way or the other if a COMBINED 10 years Plat (I think I'm 13 combined) plus a combined 750 would also qualify. I'm at 1,060 combined, but only 656 with Marriott and only 404 with SPG. I feel like they should combine if they years are combining.

However I may need to book some meetings with marriott and get to 750 there to make sure if they say no.

I emailed them asking, but no reply yet.
Old May 10, 2018, 8:46 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I really do apologize for being dense, but after reading TPG article I am still confused.

Let me give an example-

If I am LTP SPG with 730 SPG nights on 8/1

And I have 20 nights LT Marriott with only 5 in 2018

Would I be LTPP ? (730 + 20)

Or would I need 15 more nights either SPG or MAR?
(730 + 5 + 15 )

Or would I need 20 nights SPG? (730 + 20)

I just don’t want to screw this up.

Thanks in advance
Old May 10, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Congrats to all who will make (or have a path) to LTPP, your voice made a difference.

Has anyone had any luck determining number of years for MR? (I already have my Plat years from SPG)

Last edited by dilbertsdaddy; May 10, 2018 at 9:03 am
Old May 10, 2018, 8:59 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by damon88
I really do apologize for being dense, but after reading TPG article I am still confused.

Let me give an example-

If I am LTP SPG with 730 SPG nights on 8/1

And I have 20 nights LT Marriott with only 5 in 2018

Would I be LTPP ? (730 + 20)

Or would I need 15 more nights either SPG or MAR?
(730 + 5 + 15 )

Or would I need 20 nights SPG? (730 + 20)

I just don’t want to screw this up.

Thanks in advance
You will be LTP in August, and LTPP in January 2019 once they combined the nights.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by travelswithmyself
A: Yes, in addition to earning based on the new criteria, members can earn Lifetime Elite Status under the legacy requirements through the end of 2018. If Lifetime status is achieved by legacy requirements, between August and December 31, 2018 you will receive notice of your updated Lifetime Elite status in January 2019. If Lifetime status is achieved based on the new criteria, you will be notified both in August 2018 as well as any time it is achieved through the end of the year.

Why don't you just finish up your 10 years of SPG before August, get LTP in SPG and be definitely grandfathered in to LTPP in the new programme? Then you don't have to worry any more. ... I'm sure you can generate 25 stays before August to get Platinum...

The specific answer to your question is in the Wiki... you can earn it under legacy or existing SPG requirements all the way till end of 2018 ie just like before. Which means 50 nights in SPG, no combined nights.

Or you can earn it based on the new criteria, in August (when they merge and see if you already meet the requirements) or any time through the end of 2018... which means as long as you do 50 combined nights you're good to go.

At least you have a shot at this... I'm nearing 800 and only have 8 years. Even if I did all Marriott stays from now to get stay-based MR Plat by August I'd still only have 9 years... so close yet so far...
There's no such thing as STAY based MR Plat. Marriott has *always* based elite status on nights, not stays. Current MR Plat requires 75 NIGHTS and there is no way to get MR Plat with stays unless of course one has 75 one nights stays, so that the 75 nights criterion would automatically be met.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by PTahCha
You will be LTP in August, and LTPP in January 2019 once they combined the nights.
What evidence is there that they won't merge the accounts on August 1?
Old May 10, 2018, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's no such thing as STAY based MR Plat. Marriott has *always* based elite status on nights, not stays. Current MR Plat requires 75 NIGHTS and there is no way to get MR Plat with stays unless of course one has 75 one nights stays, so that the 75 nights criterion would automatically be met.
Yes yes I meant nights...
Old May 10, 2018, 9:19 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
Woah.... let's pump the breaks now. I just talked to an SPG representative and let me set the stage.

I am 459 SPG and 80 MR lifetime nights. I will be 10 years plat and certainly end up with over 500 SPG by year end. Thus worse case I'll be LTP.

However I want LTPP which it appeared there was a glimmer of hope that you could combine SPG and MR lifetime nights to equal 750 and you were in LTPP. Now it doesn't appear to be the case and here is why.

1. The remaining nights I need this year is 211 for 750 total. However the SPG rep told me that they AREN'T adding LT nights before 2018. They are only allowing you to add 2018 nights combined to your LT total with SPG.

2. Thus I can't add my 80 nights from MR because it wasn't in 2018. I can only add 2018 MR property nights to my LT SPG nights.

3. Thus my question is, if I credit to MR the meetings for 10 nights each, and get the CC for 15 nights which will go towards my MR account that is my only chance to hit my 211. Will those count? The SPG rep didn't know.

Thoughts and interpretations?
Old May 10, 2018, 9:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by bedasaka
OK, so on the SPG dashboard it states years Elite, does this mean years platinum?
I have 14 years "eltie", 901 lifetime nights with SPG and last year I got status matched with Marriott due to the merger and have 96 lifetime nights.
Does this mean I will be Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite?
Also it seems the difference between LPPE and LPE is minimal?!?
So confusing!
By now you would already know if your are SPG LPT, and by the looks of it on your profile, it seems that you are.

So the total lifetime nights of 901 exceeds the required 750, so you will become Starriott LTPPE. Congratulations.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by schley
Woah.... let's pump the breaks now. I just talked to an SPG representative and let me set the stage.

I am 459 SPG and 80 MR lifetime nights. I will be 10 years plat and certainly end up with over 500 SPG by year end. Thus worse case I'll be LTP.

However I want LTPP which it appeared there was a glimmer of hope that you could combine SPG and MR lifetime nights to equal 750 and you were in LTPP. Now it doesn't appear to be the case and here is why.

1. The remaining nights I need this year is 211 for 750 total. However the SPG rep told me that they AREN'T adding LT nights before 2018. They are only allowing you to add 2018 nights combined to your LT total with SPG.

2. Thus I can't add my 80 nights from MR because it wasn't in 2018. I can only add 2018 MR property nights to my LT SPG nights.

3. Thus my question is, if I credit to MR the meetings for 10 nights each, and get the CC for 15 nights which will go towards my MR account that is my only chance to hit my 211. Will those count? The SPG rep didn't know.

Thoughts and interpretations?

I think the rep is confusing lifetime and qualifying for this year. Which I think is causing lots of confusion and wording issues. If you don't have any LT status and you've been staying in both Marriotts and Starwood all of 2018, then in August they will combine those and you'll get status based on the combined nights. But for LT status they will combine all nights.

As it states in August:

In addition, when you combine Rewards and SPG accounts, we will combine your lifetime activity across both toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program.

That says "Lifetime activity" not "2018 Activity", since this combining is done in August and you have until December to get to 750 nights if the combined nights are 750 you're good to go. If the combined nights are 740 you'd need 10 more nights by 12/31/18 to get it.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:40 am

Location: RDU, Delta GM/1MM, Hilton Diamond (for now), Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by SF1K
I think the rep is confusing lifetime and qualifying for this year. Which I think is causing lots of confusion and wording issues. If you don't have any LT status and you've been staying in both Marriotts and Starwood all of 2018, then in August they will combine those and you'll get status based on the combined nights. But for LT status they will combine all nights.

As it states in August:

In addition, when you combine Rewards and SPG accounts, we will combine your lifetime activity across both toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program.

That says "Lifetime activity" not "2018 Activity", since this combining is done in August and you have until December to get to 750 nights if the combined nights are 750 you're good to go. If the combined nights are 740 you'd need 10 more nights by 12/31/18 to get it.
Right but you can't "earn" LTPP in the new program - only based on the previous I thought?
Old May 10, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
Has anyone had any luck determining number of years for MR? (I already have my Plat years from SPG)
In the wiki, it's stated that there will be that capability on the MR site as of August (just as there is now on the SPG site). So you may have to wait to get a definitive answer on the MR side, if you haven't kept records.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by jfulcher
Right but you can't "earn" LTPP in the new program - only based on the previous I thought?
The wording says that LTPP will be grandfathered until December 31, 2018, implying that if you hadn't achieved it at the benefit program merge in August, then you have until end of year to do it.
Old May 10, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist, Marriot LT Titanium, UA 2.4MM, HH Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by jfulcher
Correct, but I'll reference this again:

NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019). In addition, members that achieve Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum under the legacy requirements by year end will also be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status. And, don’t forget that we’ll combine Lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts in August. Beginning in 2019, qualification into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status will not be available. See FAQs for details.

This entire note was put there for the fact that there are now two new ways to achieve LTPP before 12/31/18. After that it won't be possible.

If you are MRLTP (of will achieve under the legacy MR requirements by end of year) you'll be grandfathered into LTPP

If you are (or will achieve) SPGLTP by 12/31/18 and will have 750 nights (which will be combined lifetime activity in August) you will get LTPP

If you are (or will achieve) MRLTP by 12/31/18 and will have 750 nights (which will be combined lifetime activity in August) you will get LTPP

Last edited by SF1K; May 10, 2018 at 9:57 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.