FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1906860-marriott-bonvoy-ambassador-elite-level-experiences-2020-earlier.html)

rny321 Aug 19, 2018 2:18 pm

Although I haven't met the spending requirements, my account shows PP + Ambassador until 1/20. Most of my stays this year were paid for with points or cash and points, so I was surprised to see the upgrade. While I hope MPG's generosity isn't a mistake, I won't be upset if I lose Ambassador benefits which I haven't yet earned.

frenchft Aug 19, 2018 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by escape4 (Post 30100173)
That would be fantastic. I also like the idea of AMB returning guests to have priority over AMB first timers.

But they told me too that it's more or less what most of SPG properties does (at least the most luxury ones), and T&C or not will change nothing for "SPG hotels and teams".
I love to feel that SPG teams in properties got this mindset : "we will deliver the same as we are used to for our elite, whatever the T&C, at least till we have SPG employees in house".

frenchft Aug 19, 2018 2:29 pm

To make it short : I'm very confident about SPG properties in EMEA and Asia, I even think we will get even better treatment as ambassador but I'm not confident at all with Marriott properties, they have (employees and management) a total different mindset and I think it will not change : inconsistent / win or lose at check in / useless arguments.

frenchft Aug 19, 2018 2:33 pm

Originally Posted by lexdevil (Post 30101541)
Before the changeover it was clear that I would be LTPP (I was 3xLTP already). It was also clear that I would be at least PP75 (I have over 75 nights). What was not clear was whether I would be PP100+Ambassador (I have over 100 nights, but it was unclear how spend would be calculated).

Since the change it looks like I am PP100+Ambassador. Based on how the information displays on the website and the app, I have a few theories about what is going on that may be helpful.
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...4d7b98afee.png

App:
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3fc9cdecb5.jpg

What I think may be going on:
  1. While there is a decent chance many of us with less than $20K spend have received PP100+Ambassador in error, I don't think this is the case. I think that Marriott may have doled out an unadvertised "Taste of Ambassador" to legacy PPs. The datum supporting this idea is that on the website, though it shows me as PP100+Ambassador, it clearly says I should enjoy this service through January 2019. If I had already reached $20K in spend, I would have earned PP100+Ambassador for ALL of 2019 (running through January, 2020).
  2. Another possible explanation of the above is that Marriott may have doled out some PP100+Ambassador status based on last year's spend, which would explain why it expires in January.
  3. An additional data point supporting either of the above theories is that on the app it says that I need to spend $7,255 to RENEW PP100+Ambassador. This means that though I have PP100+Ambassador now, I have not yet earned it for next year.
  4. I don't think that the $20K/100 nights displayed on the website is a tally of where I stand and that they stop counting when the goal is reached. I think it is a static image displaying the requirements for PP100+Ambassador.
  5. Another important thing we can learn from the display on the app is that it appears that Marriott is counting spend from up to three rooms, probably using base points earned for their calculations. I reached this conclusion based on the fact that my real spend is over $36K, but Marriott is only crediting me with just over $12K. I believe this is because they are only counting three of my rooms (I tend to book and pay for 6-15 rooms).

if you have 100+ nights this year with SPG only > ambassador till 01/2020
if you have 100+ nights this year with SPG + Marriot > plat premier till 01/2020
if you have 100+ nights this year with SPG + Marriot (+ 20K) > ambassador till 01/2020
if you have 100+ nights this year with Marriot only > plat premier till 01/2020

frenchft Aug 19, 2018 2:36 pm

Data Point :

I renewed plat ambassador in June without 20K spending yet and got ambassador till 01/20 (even before the merger, was the information and didn't change).
But as all of you I see this message about 20K spent but the amount 18k of official spent is not logical with the screen.
Quite surprising that marriot didn't planned things and made screens and logic for all those scenarios. Information are not accurate and quite confusing, agree with all of you.

lexdevil Aug 19, 2018 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by frenchft (Post 30102210)
if you have 100+ nights this year with SPG only > ambassador till 01/2020
if you have 100+ nights this year with SPG + Marriot > plat premier till 01/2020
if you have 100+ nights this year with SPG + Marriot (+ 20K) > ambassador till 01/2020
if you have 100+ nights this year with Marriot only > plat premier till 01/2020

I was not talking about status through January 2020. I was trying to explain the Ambassador status through January 2019 that is popping up on so many of our accounts. That does not appear to require $20K spend. It may be an error, or a "taste" to encourage members to spend more (or stay more nights, depending on what they are short of).

frenchft Aug 19, 2018 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by lexdevil (Post 30102243)
I was not talking about status through January 2020. I was trying to explain the Ambassador status through January 2019 that is popping up on so many of our accounts. That does not appear to require $20K spend. It may be an error, or a "taste" to encourage members to spend more (or stay more nights, depending on what they are short of).

I see, but you had ambassador last year ? Renewed before the merge?

lexdevil Aug 19, 2018 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by frenchft (Post 30102279)

No. I was Marriott PP w/out a concierge (as Marriott called it). Have been PP for eight years. Always have over 100 nights. Usually spend $40-60K per year, but it looks like Marriott will only count about 1/3 (3 rooms worth) of that towards Ambassador. As a result, they currently show me just short of $13K, but my credit card statements show me at $36K (I only use the Marriott card for Marriott spend). Pretty much all nights and spend are Marriott, not SPG.

bhrubin Aug 19, 2018 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by frenchft (Post 30102203)
To make it short : I'm very confident about SPG properties in EMEA and Asia, I even think we will get even better treatment as ambassador but I'm not confident at all with Marriott properties, they have (employees and management) a total different mindset and I think it will not change : inconsistent / win or lose at check in / useless arguments.

I think difference in Ambassador experience between legacy Marriott and SPG properties may also have to deal with the relative "quality" of the hotel brand and relative "quality" of the hotel itself. I don't think geography is going to matter as much as brand category when it comes to better delivering Ambassador service and recognition.

As evidenced by the new award category assignments, there were proportionally far more upscale/luxury hotels in the SPG portfolio. I've said repeatedly that I think better hotels better execute the VIP service and recognition for Ambassador guests, as well as specific Ambassador requests. Less service oriented hotels don't elevate the experience as much in my experience.

My best Ambassador experiences have been at legacy SPG luxury brands: StR, Luxury Collection, and some W hotels. The comparable luxury hotels to those are a very small proportion of the overall Marriott portfolio: a mere 7 Edition hotels and the JWs. plus the Ritz-Carlton properties--and only 1 Autograph property, Domes of Elounda. That's it. And let's face it: JWs aren't nearly as luxurious as those other brands and are much larger on average, making it tougher again to be more individualized.

Sheraton, Westin, Le Meridien, and Tribute Portfolio hotels don't do nearly as much as the above legacy SPG luxury brands in providing me better Ambassador service on average. Their counterparts in the Marriott portfolio are the most common Marriott, Renaissance, Delta, Gaylord, and Autograph properties. That's almost the entirety proportionally of the Marriott full-service portfolio.

Four Points, Element, and Aloft properties have done very little on average to ever provide me with better Ambassador service or recognition. Their counterparts are the overwhelming bulk of the Marriott portfolio: Courtyard, Fairfield, Protea, SpringHill, AC, Moxy, Residence, and TownePlace.

I think some unwisely might be expecting more from Ambassador service at "upscale" and select service/limited service hotel brands (that don't do as much service-wise in the first place) than will ever be commonly delivered. That isn't a knock on Ambassador service; it's a statement of reality about the nature of those brands and their inherent service standards.

UA-NYC Aug 19, 2018 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by lexdevil (Post 30102243)

....could be coded for current SPG Plat 100s w/Ambassadors
....could be coded for people with at least 100 nights combined
....could just be a half-baked roll-out that will get there in another day or two

frenchft Aug 19, 2018 3:41 pm

Originally Posted by frenchft (Post 30102279)

Just read on Marriott insider that some people are talking about the fact that marriott could have invited some that does not fit the condition as they did with concierge. Sounds that the criteria are like 100+ nights with marriott and some with SPG. A kind of incentive to continue spending to reach the 20k ;) and get the status till 01/2020.

frenchft Aug 19, 2018 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 30102336)
I think difference in Ambassador experience between legacy Marriott and SPG properties may also have to deal with the relative "quality" of the hotel brand and relative "quality" of the hotel itself. I don't think geography is going to matter as much as brand category when it comes to better delivering Ambassador service and recognition.

As evidenced by the new award category assignments, there were proportionally far more upscale/luxury hotels in the SPG portfolio. I've said repeatedly that I think better hotels better execute the VIP service and recognition for Ambassador guests, as well as specific Ambassador requests. Less service oriented hotels don't elevate the experience as much in my experience.

My best Ambassador experiences have been at legacy SPG luxury brands: StR, Luxury Collection, and some W hotels. The comparable luxury hotels to those are a very small proportion of the overall Marriott portfolio: a mere 7 Edition hotels and the JWs. plus the Ritz-Carlton properties--and only 1 Autograph property, Domes of Elounda. That's it. And let's face it: JWs aren't nearly as luxurious as those other brands and are much larger on average, making it tougher again to be more individualized.

Sheraton, Westin, Le Meridien, and Tribute Portfolio hotels don't do nearly as much as the above legacy SPG luxury brands in providing me better Ambassador service on average. Their counterparts in the Marriott portfolio are the most common Marriott, Renaissance, Delta, Gaylord, and Autograph properties. That's almost the entirety proportionally of the Marriott full-service portfolio.

Four Points, Element, and Aloft properties have done very little on average to ever provide me with better Ambassador service or recognition. Their counterparts are the overwhelming bulk of the Marriott portfolio: Courtyard, Fairfield, Protea, SpringHill, AC, Moxy, Residence, and TownePlace.

I think some unwisely might be expecting more from Ambassador service at "upscale" and select service/limited service hotel brands (that don't do as much service-wise in the first place) than will ever be commonly delivered. That isn't a knock on Ambassador service; it's a statement of reality about the nature of those brands and their inherent service standards.

I tend to agree with you. Sounds quite logical. And to be honest I find very very funny that Marriott put in the same category / Level RC-STR-JW... JW are nice business hotels but are far from the amazing and globally equal service at ST Regis. I'm not a big fan of RC, tend to find them super Vegas / Kitchy / barroco / cheesy but even here St regis is the winner.

For Sheraton I would said I had in some not popular / international / easy to reach destination I had really king treatment. I was the first ambassador staying in some of those properties and was like a kind of local event )))

lexdevil Aug 19, 2018 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by frenchft (Post 30102455)
Just read on Marriott insider that some people are talking about the fact that marriott could have invited some that does not fit the condition as they did with concierge. Sounds that the criteria are like 100+ nights with marriott and some with SPG. A kind of incentive to continue spending to reach the 20k ;) and get the status till 01/2020.

Doesn't really fit my case, which is 99% Marriott.

smgainey Aug 19, 2018 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Richard Yu (Post 30100130)
Lifetime Plat w/ Marriott and just got my Ambassador status there after the merger with SPG. New to this whole Ambassador business -- for you SPG-ers out there, what can an Ambassador help me with that the hotel concierge can't?

I wish Marriott would give us details on this because I don't know if it's safe to assume that Marriott's Ambassador program will be identical to SPG's. Also, from what I've read there seemed to be large variations in SPG members' experiences with Ambassadors. If Marriott would just lay out what we should expect then that would be great.

escape4 Aug 19, 2018 5:24 pm

Originally Posted by frenchft (Post 30102474)
For Sheraton I would said I had in some not popular / international / easy to reach destination I had really king treatment. I was the first ambassador staying in some of those properties and was like a kind of local event )))

Similar experience here for a handful of Sheratons + Westins.