FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1906860-marriott-bonvoy-ambassador-elite-level-experiences-2020-earlier.html)

DJ_Iceman Jun 24, 2018 8:34 pm

Some travelers seem to live solely to "get the attention of staff", without realizing that the ...-kissing to their face is guaranteed to be accompanied by ridiculing them in the back-of-house...

bhrubin Jun 28, 2018 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 29835673)
I'm assuming they'll define it as points earning activity as traditionally used by Marriott but the guy running the program is a Starwood guy and folks over on the other board claim they don't earn points for dining, bar, spa, etc. Not sure that's right though as I haven't pulled my SPG bills and compared them.

The new Marriott loyalty program website indicates:

https://members.marriott.com/earn/

DINE: EARN POINTS.

Earn points across all brands on room rate and other incidentals that can be charged to your room, such as dining and spa.
That suggests strongly to me what may be eligible as "qualified spend" towards Ambassador status.

MSPeconomist Jun 28, 2018 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 29917910)
The new Marriott loyalty program website indicates:

https://members.marriott.com/earn/

That suggests strongly to me what may be eligible as "qualified spend" towards Ambassador status.

It fails to say whether all brands earn the same number of points per dollar spent.

bhrubin Jun 28, 2018 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 29918190)
It fails to say whether all brands earn the same number of points per dollar spent.

You've misunderstood. I was not referring to how many points are earned; I was referring only to the qualified spend towards the $20K requirement for Ambassador status.

MSPeconomist Jun 28, 2018 6:57 pm

No, what was posted today says that food, spa, etc. will earn (SOME, perhaps very minimal) points at all Starriott brands, but it does NOT state how many points (per dollar or equivalent in foreign currency) or say that the number of points earned per dollar will be the same at all brands, not for F&B, spa services, etc. nor for room rates.

Also, IMO there's no statement that I can immediately find that clarifies whether taxes will earn points in the new program. I assume not, but I don't see any rule either way.

bhrubin Jul 1, 2018 12:19 pm

Just another data point: the StR San Francisco yesterday officially denied my Your24 request for 12 pm noon check in today...but they this morning re-submitted it and already have our upgraded Metropolitan Suite ready for us at 11 am. We’re on our way.

damon88 Jul 1, 2018 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by bhrubin (Post 29926409)
Just another data point: the StR San Francisco yesterday officially denied my Your24 request for 12 pm noon check in today...but they this morning re-submitted it and already have our upgraded Metropolitan Suite ready for us at 11 am. We’re on our way.

Thanks for the data point. We are hoping for 2 PM check in. Would you recommend requesting the day before our stay or the morning of?

As you know we will be there right after you!

t1c Jul 1, 2018 2:24 pm

How was your upgrade relayed to you? app, email, phone call?

C17PSGR Jul 1, 2018 2:42 pm

Is it normally that difficult to check in early at SPG properties without using the Your24 process? For example, I had a redeye back east last week and called the hotel to see if I could check in early. The allowed me to check in at 11, gave me a great suite upgrade, and also gave me a 4 PM checkout the following day.

damon88 Jul 1, 2018 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by C17PSGR (Post 29926746)
Is it normally that difficult to check in early at SPG properties without using the Your24 process? For example, I had a redeye back east last week and called the hotel to see if I could check in early. The allowed me to check in at 11, gave me a great suite upgrade, and also gave me a 4 PM checkout the following day.

That's the funny thing. For over 12 years I had wonderful success arranging early check ins when I needed them before Your24. In the past 5 years I have not been impressed with Your24- I probably have at best a 20% success rate. I suppose there are so many factors influencing success. I suspect that some of the very factors that have influenced my stellar SNA record (using them on top tier properties and booking far in advance) are the ones that contribute to my poor success rate with Your24. In my experience the hotels that give me instant approval are the more basic brands and not St. Regis or Luxury Collection.

bhrubin Jul 1, 2018 6:08 pm

Originally Posted by damon88 (Post 29926663)
Thanks for the data point. We are hoping for 2 PM check in. Would you recommend requesting the day before our stay or the morning of?

I’d make the request ASAP. That gives the hotel more notice and more opportunity to approve IMO.

bhrubin Jul 1, 2018 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by t1c (Post 29926703)
How was your upgrade relayed to you? app, email, phone call?

I saw that I’d been upgraded by checking the status of my reservation on spg.com. But I was upgraded well in advance (maybe 4 weeks?), probably more because I’m a frequent guest at this StR and only a little because I’m an Ambassador guest.

FWIW I also chose to stay here when the AAA rate was a mere $340. That’s about as low as I’ve ever seen here. So you know it’s a low occupancy/low demand period for the hotel.

bhrubin Jul 1, 2018 6:17 pm

There is no good answer for that question for all SPG hotels! I’m sure it varies widely based on many unrelated factors. In this case, as a frequent guest, I know the hotel worked to ensure they check me in as early as possible...and I also knew that it they couldn’t make it happen, it wasn’t possible to do it!

Sometimes they can check me in early, and sometimes they can’t. I’ve usually had very good luck getting checked in an hour or two before the official check in time, but then the StR Atlanta in April didn’t bother to check me in until several hours later than that official time. The Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho in May checked us in around 7 am after our early morning arrival into HND; I never even bothered to submit a Your24. And they even still upgraded us to a Kioi Suite.

bhrubin Jul 1, 2018 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by damon88 (Post 29926907)
That's the funny thing. For over 12 years I had wonderful success arranging early check ins when I needed them before Your24. In the past 5 years I have not been impressed with Your24- I probably have at best a 20% success rate. I suppose there are so many factors influencing success. I suspect that some of the very factors that have influenced my stellar SNA record (using them on top tier properties and booking far in advance) are the ones that contribute to my poor success rate with Your24. In my experience the hotels that give me instant approval are the more basic brands and not St. Regis or Luxury Collection.

That’s funny: I’ve had better luck with Your24 with the luxury brands, but then I stay a lot more often at those brands, too.

I would expect that Your24 shifting to a 100 night Ambassador benefit from a 75 night benefit, not to mention the $20K req’t, should make it a bit easier for hotels to make Your24 work—again still depending on many factors. But I look at it as a wonderful perk to enjoy when it’s possible, not as something to expect or to depend on as a rule.

btonkid12345 Jul 1, 2018 6:37 pm

Aren't Y24 requests supposed to be submitted 48 hours prior to check in time? I'm confused how it was resubmitted morning of, or why you bothered to go through that process day of arrival instead of requesting/confirming it with one of your contacts directly at the property.

Originally Posted by damon88 (Post 29926663)

Y24 requests must be submitted 2 days prior to check in time.

No. Especially not with a quick two line email to the Manager/FOM on duty that morning.

Y24s have been useful to me mainly for overnight check ins; I've had a 3 am check in/check out approved at the LeMeridien Cairo Airport (which the property royally bungled, wanting to charge me for an extra day at checkout) and the same at the W Istanbul, which this hotel executed wonderfully.