Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2019, 11:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Just checked and was pleased to see I’ve already been pre-upgraded to a One Bedroom Executive Suite for my return stay at the RC Georgetown for the coming weekend.

I’d say my Ambassador status makes quite a difference. Wouldn’t you?

So much for needing SNAs when Ritz-Carlton treats an Ambassador guest right, anyway.

So my suite upgrade tally for only Ritz-Carlton in the USA in 2019:

RC Coconut Grove: pre-upgraded to Partial Water View One Bedroom Suite
RC Washington: pre-upgraded to best category Premium room...almost sold out property
RC Boston: arrived and upgraded to Executive One Bedroom Suite...sold out property
RC Georgetown: booked Executive Suite, no upgrade..sold out property
RC Chicago: booked Executive Suite, upgraded to Gold Coast One Bedroom Suite...almost sold out property
RC Bacara Santa Barbara: pre-upgraded to Garden View One Bedroom Suite, later upgraded to Oceanview One Bedroom Suite...sold out property
RC Half Moon Bay: pre-upgraded to Ocean House Firepit One Bedroom Suite, almost sold out property
RC Georgetown (upcoming): pre-upgraded to Executive One Bedroom Suite, property seems close to sold out
RC Boston (upcoming): booked in entry level room...so time will tell

I do believe my Ambassador status and/or my Ambassador has made a bit of an impact.
Interesting about @bhrubin experience.
I believe these upgraded room/suite is above the normal Titaniums upgrade pool?

Opposite of what I experienced so far.
Everytime I booked higher level room/suite , I will get the same room/suite when check in.

My last stay at St Regis Bali, booked St Regis suite with pool, get the same.
They do provide excellent service though.
I dont have much RC experience so far, but my last 2 stays with RC, I was assigned same room/suite as booked.
I will have another stay at RC Jakarta in July, booked : Grand Studio with Club Access ... pretty much the highest room category below suite
Would be interested to see what I receive.

Seeing what I experienced so far, I would say it looks like that me and @bhrubin are belong to 2 different loyalty programs
Old May 27, 2019, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I do think it's fair to guess that certain Ambassadors are hard-coded flagged for above-and-beyond recognition experiences...revenue drivers / true influencers (not the social media kind) are likely ones
Old May 27, 2019, 9:33 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Either that or @bhrubin's request for certain temperature in the room create extra attention for his reservations (in addition of his ambassador note I guess?)

IIRC someone mentioned in FT that requesting extra service like car transfer might attract more attention to your reservation as more departments handles and become aware of the said reservation.

So far I didnt see any changes in the treatment when I request such service unfortunately.

Would be interested to know if others who have close to perfect records of upgrades have sent the hotels any special request beforehand.
Old May 27, 2019, 9:49 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Interesting about @bhrubin experience.
I believe these upgraded room/suite is above the normal Titaniums upgrade pool?
There is no such entity as a normal Titanium upgrade pool. There is a standard suite pool from which Platinum, Titanium, and Ambassador guests regularly may be eligible for upgrades based on availability—even as some mere Golds have even received those same upgrades when availability has allowed. At Ritz-Carlton, the standard suite pool is eligible only to Titanium and Ambassador guests, and they seem to almost never allow that to lower tiers.

In cases for both Titanium and Ambassador guests, sometimes a hotel upgrades us to beyond that standard suite pool. im sure that happens to Ambassador guests more than Titanium guests.

Opposite of what I experienced so far.
Everytime I booked higher level room/suite , I will get the same room/suite when check in.
Upgrades don’t happen in a vacuum! MANY factors, chief among them availability and hotel occupancy, play a massive role. Your stays could be a hotels when they are at much higher occupancy or during special weekday event periods when more customers are more likely to spend more for the better suites. It’s impossible to evaluate and make direct comparisons as you’re trying to do. Most of my suite upgrade stays came over weekends when I am not competing with other business travelers who are more likely to pay for suites. When are your stays?

My last stay at St Regis Bali, booked St Regis suite with pool, get the same.
You already were booked in a suite and still you believe you’re entitled to more. That is the issue. If you’ve already booked a suite and expect a bump to a higher suite, then you’re already diminishing your argument. There always are going to be VERY few suites above the standard pool of suites. Expecting upgrades beyond those suites is an issue of entitlement and not of the suite upgrade process!

Please kindly note that I was booked already in a suite at the RC Georgetown on my first stay and also didn’t get any further upgrade. You’re complaining about it while I assumed that was to be expected and is normal par for the course. What’s different here is not the suite upgrade treatment but my more honest and realistic expectations.

I did book an Executive Suite at the RC Chicago and got upgraded further to the Gold Coast Suite—but it also was a weekend stay when fewer business and corporate travelers would be paying for higher level suites. So I lucked out with good circumstances. (Except that I was actually quite disappointed with the suite, anyway!)

I dont have much RC experience so far, but my last 2 stays with RC, I was assigned same room/suite as booked.
Perhaps the RC at which you stayed had less availability at those times. Perhaps the RC at which you stayed had fewer suites proportionally than other RC properties. Those details matter.

I will have another stay at RC Jakarta in July, booked : Grand Studio with Club Access ... pretty much the highest room category below suite
Would be interested to see what I receive.
Depending on availability and occupancy, I certainly hope you get a nice upgrade. But it isn’t guaranteed if the hotel is at higher occupancy or many other guests went ahead and paid for a suite themselves. In Asia, suites are less expensive than in N America in less expensive cities like that. Makes it a lot easier for people to actually pay to get the suites they want—which makes it harder to get the upgrade for those like you.

Seeing what I experienced so far, I would say it looks like that me and @bhrubin are belong to 2 different loyalty programs
Same loyalty program. Just we are considering different hotels in very different markets, likely with very different average occupancy levels at the time of booking and our stays. And perhaps my inimitable charm, as you saw firsthand at the StR SF!
Old May 27, 2019, 10:36 am

Some of your upgrade on the list sounds like it was hotels specialty suite, hence the question whether its normally used for upgrade.

And for booking a suite and expect more ..... I have no idea how come you come to that conclusion.
Im merely comparing with your list that you reserve an executive suite and get further upgraded to some other type or one bedroom suite.

I believe I mentioned before, I reserve the room that I want for the stay. If i plan to stay only few hours at the hotel every day, then I might just book entry level room.
But if I planned to stay longer I might end up reserve higher category of room. If I got upgraded then its bonus.
And thats the reason why I never challenge FDC when I saw higher category suite/room available when I didnt get upgraded.
The St Regis Bali stay, I reserved the pool suite since I want the privacy of my own pool and I never expect any upgrade from it.

While I understand that plenty of variables affecting this particular benefit, the interesting point is how can the experience of a member of a same program with similar tier can vary greatly.
I wont be so silly to expect a "diamond guest" treatment when I visit Singapore on F1 weekends for example. As the hotel will definitely packed to the brim with the paid guests that not bring their own private giraffe.
Next week I reserved a 2 weeks stay at Sheraton Melbourne. and since I will have full schedule there (meeting friends and colleagues) I just get a entry level room and due to the number of nights involved, I wont be expecting any upgrades.

The point is I guess every member of this program would like to see a consistency of the advertised benefits throughout their stays wherever there may be.
The Marriott move to make members status is easier to recognised by property is a great step forward.
I believe the next step will be improving compliance from the properties as there are still plenty of properties that only extend the elite benefits when members challenge the FD.
Obviously, fully booked properties wont be able to create suite out of thin air. And that is not the issue here.

In regards of that BA CIV number .... I think your ambassador and your own charm does contribute to that 105 level
bhrubin and rny321 like this.
Old May 27, 2019, 10:55 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
We can assume that hotels have all types of data on each Guest, —Years Elite, Lifetime nights, Lifetime spend, Lifetime points, Ancillary spend, Length of stays, Social Influence, Loyalty etc. that they use to calculate a proprietary Guest Score. These algorithms calculate a guest’s value based upon various attributes. We know that Guest Analytics exists and that brands are increasingly utilizing it to build customer loyalty and increase revenue.

Do you typically spend money at the hotel on room service, spa, restaurant, bar etc. ? Are you a recent or frequent guest? Which brands do you typically stay at?

Marriott knows. And you can bet they are collecting and analyzing this data.

I don’t think it’s a mystery that certain guests consistently receive better upgrades.

A Guest Value system was rumored at SPG 15 years ago. And I remember reading an old post from a Hilton member who was denied an upgrade when the hotel showed him he was only a “two star” guest. The technology has only gotten more sophisticated. I believe we are being naive if we don’t expect hotels to use it.

Last edited by damon88; May 27, 2019 at 11:05 am
Old May 27, 2019, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by damon88
We can assume that hotels have all types of data on each Guest, —Years Elite, Lifetime nights, Lifetime spend, Lifetime points, Ancillary spend, Length of stays, Social Influence, Loyalty etc. that they use to calculate a proprietary Guest Score. These algorithms calculate a guest’s value based upon various attributes. We know that Guest Analytics exists and that brands are increasingly utilizing it to build customer loyalty and increase revenue.

Do you typically spend money at the hotel on room service, spa, restaurant, bar etc. ? Are you a recent or frequent guest? Which brands do you typically stay at?

Marriott knows. And you can bet they are collecting and analyzing this data.

I don’t think it’s a mystery that certain guests consistently receive better upgrades.

A Guest Value system was rumored at SPG 15 years ago. And I remember reading an old post from a Hilton member who was denied an upgrade when the hotel showed him he was only a “two star” guest. The technology has only gotten more sophisticated. I believe we are being naive if we don’t expect hotels to use it.
i wonder if the information carried forward from SPG system if we merged into the Marriott number. Even if we merged into the SPG number, it was a new number assigned. Some hotels have their own backend system. I found out a while back because I stayed at this hotel way way back in the day and my old old old email and telephone number showed up on the registration form when I checked in after a decade.
Old May 27, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
There are definitely hotels that are using old addresses and phone numbers for me that are not in the current Marriott system.

And while I get the concept of guest analytics, I dont have a sense that Marriott is using a formal system. From time to time, I get comments at check in about how many years I've been a member and how many points I have. I also know the hotel sees whether we are repeat guests. I believe the makes it much easier for the front desk to see this information.

I'm having much better luck at properties since the new system is in place but it's my suspicion that there is a flag in the system for key meeting organizers, and that BHR is benefiting from this, as he should.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:31 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
There are definitely hotels that are using old addresses and phone numbers for me that are not in the current Marriott system.

And while I get the concept of guest analytics, I dont have a sense that Marriott is using a formal system. From time to time, I get comments at check in about how many years I've been a member and how many points I have. I also know the hotel sees whether we are repeat guests. I believe the makes it much easier for the front desk to see this information.

I'm having much better luck at properties since the new system is in place but it's my suspicion that there is a flag in the system for key meeting organizers, and that BHR is benefiting from this, as he should.

I have never organized a meeting in my life yet I receive similar treatment to BHR. There is something going on. At my recent stay at the StR NYC I made a comment to someone at the desk: “ I love this hotel!” He studied his screen and then gave me a knowing smile. “And I can see the hotel loves you back!”

Was he just looking at our upgraded room type or ??
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Luxury hotels should have guest history maintained on their own system.

Is BHR really a *key* meeting organizer? He seems to book smallish groups for mostly one night stays at mid-level hotels without much associated F&B (or other) spend and it's seasonal.
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 1:57 pm

I would guess these analytic data wont be displayed raw to the property FDC. More like the notes on the account or even code in the reservation.

CIP will be valued highly by the corporate especially if the person are repeatedly brings business to the corporate.

Hotel's room spending and extra spending for ancillary services might be valued as well although the weight of those spending might be different

Up to this stage I didnt see any difference but I have to admit the data point I have on my own stays is pretty limited.
Will need to see throughout the year to have fairer comparison between 1 year as SPG Plt (75) and Bonvoy ambassador.
Old May 27, 2019, 2:05 pm

I have never organized a meeting in my life yet I receive similar treatment to BHR. There is something going on. At my recent stay at the StR NYC I made a comment to someone at the desk: “ I love this hotel!” He studied his screen and then gave me a knowing smile. “And I can see the hotel loves you back!”

Was he just looking at our upgraded room type or ??
Interesting! ... would be curious on what ground the FDC say that.
And also how often you stay there ?

On the opposite end, I stay at St Regis Sg almost once every month. While most of the front line staff know me by name (they do provide great service btw)
The check in agent (especially the one that never checked me in previously) seems clueless.
Some even asked if it was my first time in the hotel.

So I guess these account history is not readily available for the FDC to see .
Old May 27, 2019, 2:06 pm

With the CCPA passing in January 1st, it will be interesting if companies like Marriott will have to disclose this information.
Old May 27, 2019, 2:27 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
With the CCPA passing in January 1st, it will be interesting if companies like Marriott will have to disclose this information.

The CCPA is complicated but I am not sure it applies:

 Internal-use loyalty clubs are those clubs that “pay customers for their personal information, but keep that information inside the business. These internal-use clubs say to customers: ‘If you join our loyalty program, we will give you a discount, we will track your shopping with us, and we will use your behavior with us to send you targeted ads – but, we will not give data about your shopping with us to anyone else.’ While privacy advocates have concerns about such pay-for-privacy programs, these concerns are partly mitigated by the non-dissemination of the personal information. The CCPA does not apply to such internal-use loyalty clubs, because the CCPA generally does not limit a business’ collection and use of consumer personal information.
bhrubin likes this.
Old May 27, 2019, 4:54 pm

Internal-use loyalty clubs are those clubs that “pay customers for their personal information, but keep that information inside the business.
I think the key, and for a lawyer to comment, is whether Marriott sharing the information with their numerous franchisees would be considered internal or not. This differs from an airplane loyalty program or a store loyalty program where the information would be kept internally.

Sharing the data with a third party, the franchisees, seems to be a gray area and it’s also worth noting the law is still undergoing several revisions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.