Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp Plat / Marriott Titanium/ Hyatt Globalist/ Delta Diamond Medallion

Has anyone had a disappointing SPG ambassador?

This year, so far, I have done 21 nights and haven't had anything special done except when I finally gave up and asked for some fruit and water to be waiting in my room. She hasn't gotten a suite for me ahead of time or had any extra amenities waiting for me at arrival. The icing on the cake was this week, was when I was in the elevator, expressing my disappointment to my girlfriend and a guy, my age, was like check out what my ambassador did. Although, the hotel was a Le Meridien with no suites, this guy's ambassador got him two connecting rooms with one converted to a living room. He also had a bottle of wine, cheese and crackers waiting. I asked him if he asked for these things and he replied never, she asked what I liked and they are always ready in my room for me, each trip. When I got ambassador status I filled out the survey, indicated what I liked and not once has my ambassador sent anything I indicated. I'm thoroughly disappointed. I spent over 20k and 104 nights with SPG last year and I see no improvement in service.

Is this normal? I hope not. If so, why would I ever choose to spend this much money and time with SPG?!

Should I request a different ambassador?

Thanks!!

Last edited by j1194; Apr 27, 2018 at 7:29 pm
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:42 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by j1194

Thanks!!
This is the first I've heard of a disappointing ambassador. Anyone else?
jaejaez, j1194, RafKa and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Is this normal? I hope not. If so, why would I ever choose to spend this much money and time with SPG?!

Should I request a different ambassador?

Thanks!!
Very normal. Many in this forum have expressed disappointment with their ambassador. I've given up on mine. I just assume I don't have one.
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I wasn't disappointed because I didn't really expect much. Mine was a single point of contact vs. tracking down SPG/property manager/others, and was a consistent email address for all communications.

I had a welcome gift at two properties for family trips, but I didn't really expect/need anything on business trips. I didn't expect lavish suites/treatment beyond standard PLT upgrade policy, so I got what I expected most of the time, and a nice upgrade 2 or 3 times.
HaleiwaFlyer likes this.

Last edited by CPRich; Apr 30, 2018 at 11:40 am
Old Apr 27, 2018, 8:25 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
My first thoughts are: really? create a new thread about this ongoing issue?
Old Apr 27, 2018, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exp Plat / Marriott Titanium/ Hyatt Globalist/ Delta Diamond Medallion
Right, but what's the point then? I can book my own rooms much faster than a phone call. If I wanted to talk to someone I could call AMEX Plat concierge or Sapphire Reserve concierge.

I haven't even had a welcome amenity I didn't request or even a standard suite I didn't procure myself. Why spend this much money with SPG for basically nothing? Last week a checkin agent noticed my status and took it upon herself to send me a bucket of beers, chips and salsa. My ambassador should have been the one to do that. I only know it was the desk agent because she called me afterwards, to confirm I got it, told me she sent it and thanked me for my loyalty.

Others clearly have great, proactive ambassadors. I only pushed an extra 20 nights to hit the 100 nights for my blog in work, so this should be a great review of SPG ambassador status... :/
broadwayboy likes this.

Last edited by j1194; Apr 27, 2018 at 9:44 pm
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:15 am

Programs: Darth Vader of AMEX, A ladys best friend of Hilton, Pt78 of SPG, *G ,*S, ANA VIP
same

Originally Posted by clublounger
This is the first I've heard of a disappointing ambassador. Anyone else?
mine never contacts me if I don't reach out.
I was ambassador in the beginning af the amb program than stopped it, just did 100 nights last year so I wil be ambassador in the joined program 2018.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 6:11 am

Programs: UA GS, BA Gold, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, IHG Gold, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
I've had zero benefits from my ambassador. She's been out every time I've asked for something, so I just email the ambassador team these days, not my ambassador.

I get way more perks by knowing the front staff and being a regular guest. Will be asking to switch ambassador shortly. A close friend has a good ambassador.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Has anyone had a disappointing SPG ambassador?................Is this normal?.....
Many threads about same issue. Should be merged with:
Do I have a bad ambassador?

My take is you have an average ambassador. Not an outstanding one but not a bad one either.
HaleiwaFlyer likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 8:36 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
There might also be a case of unmanaged expectations here - while some people get free food and drinks on every visit, I get the impression that may be somewhat of a grandfathered benefit: I've certainly never received anything of the sort. Similarly, Ambassadors don't go around upgrading rooms to Suites all the time.

I don't use my (very useful) Ambassador for booking the JFK Sheraton, but he comes in handy for special logistical needs, favours on special occasions and help with the SPG system (missing points, BRG issues, complicated room booking, etc.).

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Apr 28, 2018 at 10:39 am
Old Apr 28, 2018, 10:08 am

Programs: SPG Platinum (100)
I have a great relationship with my Ambassador. For me, the Ambassador program's most important feature is the single point of contact for Starwood. I take the suite upgrades and other amenities as a bonus but that largely depends on the property. ( I've even had instances where my Ambassador has paid for a special amenity that was never delivered by the property. Imagine that!)

I also tend to think that the properties which upgrade me and provide me with a special amenity are those where I have a personal relationship and stay history. So as EuropeanPete says this is as much about managing your expectations as anything else. What will be fascinating will be what happens to those expectations when the USD20K annual spend is imposed.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
Currently at the Westin Vendome Paris and my Ambassador always remembers my preferences which is bottle of booze!
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:24 pm
Original Poster

^^^^ Now this is what I am talking about!! It's just a nice touch to find something like this.
C17PSGR likes this.
Old Apr 28, 2018, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by supatight80
Currently at the Westin Vendome Paris and my Ambassador always remembers my preferences which is bottle of booze!
Funny, a couple of years ago, I asked my ambassador if there was something in my profile that said I liked a basket of fruit. She said no, but would be glad to update it to whatever I liked. I suggested bottle of wine and nuts. I think I got a bottle of wine for the following stay, and it's been fruit ever since. I'm in China now, and in spite of checking in at 8 am, my 2 apples and a banana were delivered at 10 pm when I was fast asleep. The next day, they delivered another 2 apples and a banana but at 6 pm this time, while my roommate was alone in the room trying to catch a nap. LOL
Old Apr 28, 2018, 3:38 pm

Programs: AC*Super Elite (100K) / PR*Elite / AY*Platinum (OWE) / SPG*Bonvoy Titanium (LTT)
^^^^ Now this is what I am talking about!! It's just a nice touch to find something like this.
Last month at the St. Regis Florence I got a bottle of wine of my choice and last February, I got a full size bottle of Moet from the Westbury in London. All thanks to my Ambassador

Westbury London - Feb 2018

St Regis Florence - March 2018

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.