Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2018, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: HHQX888
Ambassador Service general email address: [email protected]

Ambassador Service general phone line (USA): (866) 924-9885

Europe: +353-21-4861 222
USA: +1-866-924-9885
Asia : +86-20-38157156

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2019, 6:56 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador & LT Titanium, UA Silver, AA PLT
Got the survey and quickly responded yesterday. Let them know about my two worthless interactions with the ambassador service.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 7:07 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Got it and responded appropriately. Ambassador service has completely fallen apart.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by bhrubin
If you haven't filled out your Ambassador survey yet, here are some suggestions to ask Marriott to improve the Ambassador service (feel free to adjust order based on your own priorities!):

(1) Full breakfast benefit for Ambassadors at all brands including Edition and any RC that doesn't have a Club

(2) Waiving of all resort/destination fees for Ambassadors

(3) Added incentives for staying above 100 nights and/or spending more than $20K (perhaps more SNAs, Cat 6-7 free night certs, Cat 8 free night certs, earning more than 75% bonus points, ultra-SNAs that guarantee upgrades at time of booking like Hyatt TSUs, etc)

(4) Better Your24 reliability and availability

(5) Earning more points than the Titanium 75% bonus

(6) Providing 2+ bottles of water for every Ambassador regardless of brand

(7) Including spending at non-stay Bonvoy hotels towards the $20K Ambassador spending threshold

(8) Improving communication and response times for Ambassadors with their guests

What do you think?
Bill

Thanks for the suggestions! Not sure I care about all of them (and don't think there should be water bottles ) but incorporated most of them into my response.

At the property level, I'm continuing to get upgraded to suites on most stays but not seeing much evidence of "Ambassador Service." As the integration moves on, hopefully this survey shows folks are moving beyond whack a mole, to making the program meaningful.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 9:55 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, American Platinum Pro, Hertz Presidents Circle
I have also not received a survey at any point this year about my experience with my Ambassador and/or the Ambassador Program. If/when I get one, I will share with them I have been getting very little value from them. I am not certain if it is due to the person assigned to me or the Program. I believe it might be a combination of the two. I suspect each Ambassador is assigned too many people and so the level of personalized service or support will be challenging. When I pro-actively reach out to my Ambassador, the one time we collaborate, I seldom get the outcome I was seeking, and worse, it appears the Ambassador does the bare minimum with their communication with properties. I now just make the time and effort to do "it" myself, and almost every time, I get the desired result.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 12:25 pm

FWIW......I have had 2 ambassadors and the first was just fine, a solid B and the 2nd has been AMAZING. Responds immediately, calls me directly if she needs clarification etc. I think a lot of it is luck of the draw. I pray I don't get reassigned.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Received and filled out. Too bad there was no NPS question, they should really be tracking that.

I noted the decline over the last year (even though they really just wanted it since Bonvoy launched), though with a bit of improvement recently w/Ambassador communication.

Still made it clear that the benefits were much better at the top end w/Hyatt and thus no desire to return with paid stays.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:50 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR

At the property level, I'm continuing to get upgraded to suites on most stays but not seeing much evidence of "Ambassador Service." As the integration moves on, hopefully this survey shows folks are moving beyond whack a mole, to making the program meaningful.
I am finding your reference to Ambassador Service to be ambiguous. Are you pertaining to the services of an Ambassador in general or are you pertaining to Ambassador services at the property level? You have your Ambassador Elite Status that is now universally recognized as a separate tier. That tier and recognition doesn't provide additional benefits at the property level other than Your24. The only additional stated benefit is a "personal concierge" whom, from posts upthread, is pretty limited in the scope of what they can do for you. Am I misunderstanding something here?

James

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Jul 12, 2019 at 5:05 am
Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold

(1) Full breakfast benefit for Ambassadors at all brands including Edition and any RC that doesn't have a Club

(3) Added incentives for staying above 100 nights and/or spending more than $20K (perhaps more SNAs, Cat 6-7 free night certs, Cat 8 free night certs, earning more than 75% bonus points, ultra-SNAs that guarantee upgrades at time of booking like Hyatt TSUs, etc)

(7) Including spending at non-stay Bonvoy hotels towards the $20K Ambassador spending threshold

(8) Improving communication and response times for Ambassadors with their guests
Wow, that is quite a list. I understand that you have a great Ambassador and the relationship is proving meaningful to you.

Are you now feeling that the "value" of Ambassador Elite is waning or do you feel there is an insufficient differential between Titanium & Ambassador? Perhaps Ambassador Elite hasn't matured as quickly as Titanium.

James
Old Jul 12, 2019, 5:17 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, Melia Platinum, SIXT Platinum, Accor Silver, Lufthansa FTL
While all of these would be nice for sure, if I could choose only 3 it would be 1, 2 and 7 for me.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
My ambassador has been responsive and helpful. I have no complaints with the program.

I have given Marriott my stays for 20 years, I plan on giving them another 20 (or at least until my wife and kids tell me otherwise).
bhrubin likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 6:36 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Silver (Thanks Marriott!), Marriott Lifetime Titanium & Hyatt Globalist
Ugh. Impatient double reply. Sorry!
Old Jul 12, 2019, 9:38 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Wow, that is quite a list. I understand that you have a great Ambassador and the relationship is proving meaningful to you.

Are you now feeling that the "value" of Ambassador Elite is waning or do you feel there is an insufficient differential between Titanium & Ambassador? Perhaps Ambassador Elite hasn't matured as quickly as Titanium.

James
The value of Ambassador elite has improved IMO with Marriott. Having proper Ambassador status as its own highest status tier was the single best thing Marriott has done. That has allowed hotels to easily recognize and act on our status without any need or obligation for each of our Ambassadors to contact hotels in advance as was true with SPG. It makes it much more obvious now that the hotels execute or fail to execute, rather than anything the actual Ambassadors have or have no done.

Thats why I again was pre-upgraded at the SLS Beverly Hills weeks ago from an entry level room to a one bedroom suite. That’s why I yesterday again was further pre-upgraded to the SLS Suite. I didn’t even have to mention anything to my Ambassador...though that doesn’t mean my Ambassador didn’t reach out. I’ll never know....nor do I need to know.

Either way, I’ve been pre-upgraded to suites, and even to remarkable specialty suites like the SLS Suite above or the Ritz-Carlton Suite at the RC Georgetown only last month, so many times now as to be obviously improved from the SPG days.

But there’s always room for improvement. My list is just a wish list of added benefits or adjustments to benefits that can vastly improve the program and status and make it even more worthwhile.
C17PSGR and andrewstahl like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I am finding your reference to Ambassador Service to be ambiguous. Are you pertaining to the services of an Ambassador in general or are you pertaining to Ambassador services at the property level? You have your Ambassador Elite Status that is now universally recognized as a separate tier. That tier and recognition doesn't provide additional benefits at the property level other than Your24. The only additional stated benefit is a "personal concierge" whom, from posts upthread, is pretty limited in the scope of what they can do for you. Am I misunderstanding something here?

James
Well the survey was about "Ambassador Service" which I think was intended to distinguish between "Ambassador Service" and the Ambassador status tier, although I think that's ambiguous ... but it was their term not mine.

I'm assuming they meant Ambassador Service to mean what existed before their was a separate status tier, meaning the person in the video who "personalizes" your stays to use another term from the program.

Having proper Ambassador status as its own highest status tier was the single best thing Marriott has done. That has allowed hotels to easily recognize and act on our status without any need or obligation for each of our Ambassadors to contact hotels in advance as was true with SPG. It makes it much more obvious now that the hotels execute or fail to execute, rather than anything the actual Ambassadors have or have no done.

Thats why I again was pre-upgraded at the SLS Beverly Hills weeks ago from an entry level room to a one bedroom suite. That’s why I yesterday again was further pre-upgraded to the SLS Suite. I didn’t even have to mention anything to my Ambassador...though that doesn’t mean my Ambassador didn’t reach out. I’ll never know....nor do I need to know.
+1

Interestingly, I had given up on the SLS from a stay a couple of months ago where they wanted to charge me for the one bedroom suite that was available for a one bedroom stay. I gave it another chance for a stay with a GF and they upgraded me to the one bedroom suite two days before I arrived! Then they allowed me to check in mid-morning and have a 4 PM checkout. I'm confident its because of the Ambassador status tier and being a repeat guest, although it again highlights some training issues at the property level based on my previous experience.

As for the status tier and recognition at the property level, I'm pretty happy. I'm getting suite upgrades on almost every stay and just cleared an SNA for a seafront suite at a prime property that I booked at a very reasonable corporate rate. When I stay internationally, I'm usually getting something like wine, chocolates, fruit, or macaroons in my room. My only complaint (which I can't really use that term) is that I used to get a lot of handwritten notes from GM's when I was a legacy Plat Premier under the old Marriott program and more unsolicited room service in the US and that seems to have stopped. But that's more a hmm than a complaint. I'll hit 20K at Marriott this month and probably be at $30-40k at the end of the year depending on work and unpredictable trips (and a few thousand more at Hyatt/Hilton).

I think Arne had a horrible communication plan regarding integration and it upset a lot of people. He also failed to put the right resources in upfront -- although he could have saved a lot of resource by communicating better. And I think Arne is out of touch. Plus, a lot of hotel staff didn't get trained in a timely manner/ I realize that upset people (and frankly some people just don't like Marriott) but things seem to be working very well now. OTOH, I'm sure Hyatt and Hilton would like a bigger chunk or all of my hotel spend so I'm glad they're looking into the "Ambassador Service."
Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:48 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Well the survey was about "Ambassador Service" which I think was intended to distinguish between "Ambassador Service" and the Ambassador status tier, although I think that's ambiguous ... but it was their term not mine.

I'm assuming they meant Ambassador Service to mean what existed before their was a separate status tier, meaning the person in the video who "personalizes" your stays to use another term from the program.
I think it meant anything to do with the Ambassador program. But to each, their own!

Interestingly, I had given up on the SLS from a stay a couple of months ago where they wanted to charge me for the one bedroom suite that was available for a one bedroom stay. I gave it another chance for a stay with a GF and they upgraded me to the one bedroom suite two days before I arrived! Then they allowed me to check in mid-morning and have a 4 PM checkout. I'm confident its because of the Ambassador status tier and being a repeat guest, although it again highlights some training issues at the property level based on my previous experience.
Always hard to know, but there’s no doubt IMO that being a repeat guest AND Ambassador makes for a very good likelihood of being very well treated if at all possible.

That being said, for my first SLS stay in 2017 I did get pre-upgraded several days before arrival to what was referred to as a Lifestyle Suite...which turned out to be spacious and well appointed but incredibly dark with barely a window looking out to the central courtyard. On mentioning my appreciation for the upgrade but disappointment with the room on a routine follow up call, the manager apologized, told me about the upcoming (and since completed) renovation to remedy my concerns...and then gave us a $100 F&B credit by way of apology. I was very surprised and tried to decline...but when we were at the rooftop bar, the staff there reminded us we had a credit and pressed us to use it.

That was incredible service. And that made us want to return every time we are in LA.

As for the status tier and recognition at the property level, I'm pretty happy. I'm getting suite upgrades on almost every stay and just cleared an SNA for a seafront suite... My only complaint (which I can't really use that term) is that I used to get a lot of handwritten notes from GM's when I was a legacy Plat Premier under the old Marriott program and more unsolicited room service in the US and that seems to have stopped. But that's more a hmm than a complaint. I'll hit 20K at Marriott this month and probably be at $30-40k at the end of the year depending on work and unpredictable trips (and a few thousand more at Hyatt/Hilton).
The handwritten note is one of those details that I couldn’t care less about. I am often stunned by how much this matters to people. I’d much rather have a nice welcome amenity and upgrade. A note is always lovely when I get it. But I never expect it...or care so much about it.

I think Arne had a horrible communication plan regarding integration and it upset a lot of people. He also failed to put the right resources in upfront -- although he could have saved a lot of resource by communicating better. And I think Arne is out of touch. Plus, a lot of hotel staff didn't get trained in a timely manner/ I realize that upset people (and frankly some people just don't like Marriott) but things seem to be working very well now. OTOH, I'm sure Hyatt and Hilton would like a bigger chunk or all of my hotel spend so I'm glad they're looking into the "Ambassador Service."
I think Arne was promised things that didn’t turn out to be as easily done and set expectations that turned out to be harder to deliver than they were. I also think the SPG crowd was a lot more entitled and afraid of change than it wants to admit and found Arne to be a very convenient scapegoat. I do think most of the nonsense WAS fringe noise. I do think Marriott IT is embarrassing. I do think Marriott really did an amazing job keeping both program running parallel for as long as it did, and did an even better job merging the three programs into Bonvoy—which is basically SPG with a few reductions and a lot more enhancements for the top tiers. I think too many SPGers were too entitled based on little spend. Now I like that Marriott rewards me more as a big spender. Arne helped and hurt. But everyone wants a scapegoat. I don’t need a scapegoat.

C17PSGR and Brucemcdou like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jul 12, 2019 at 12:04 pm
Old Jul 12, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
But there’s always room for improvement. My list is just a wish list of added benefits or adjustments to benefits that can vastly improve the program and status and make it even more worthwhile.
I only wish that Bonvoy could provide consistent elite treatment for all their elites on all their hotels.
Extra benefits for Ambassador tiers would be great, but only if that can be executed properly at property level.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.